Ebola Nurse says she plans to end voluntary quarantine

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:

@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:
@lostrib said:

Well you're talking about "better safe than sorry" to quarantine people, I was just wondering why that doesn't expand to a virus that is more easily transmitted and has killed far more people than Ebola

Because I was specifically talking about ebola. If you want to talk about the flu I suggest you make a thread about it.

But why are you okay with it for ebola and not other diseases?

Because ebola can be managed. It all depends on what diseases we're talking about. The fact of the matter is that we can do something to stop ebola from infecting anybody else. I really don't care if it's an inconvenience to certain people.

Just because we can do something, does not mean we should

If it's the responsible thing to do then absolutely we should.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@LostProphetFLCL said:

@airshocker: You only don't care because it's not you.

If she has been under quarantine for a few days already showing no symptoms and has tested negative for ebola then let her live her damn life. All these fucking paranoid assholes on here who just want to take these people lives away for 3 weeks make me sick.

The ONLY people who need to be worried about ebola are people who travel a lot and those working in hospitals. Ebola is a very stupid virus and thus will not spread far in the US. Not to mention it is NOT a death sentence here in the States with our 1st world healthcare.

I am a CNA and work with infections that spread the exact same way ebola does. Have not caught a single infection in over 4 years on the job and those infections are NOT obvious at first so we sometimes work WITHOUT proper precautions with said infections as patients aren't diagnosed yet.

TLDR: STFU about ebola people.

If it was me I'd submit to the voluntary quarantine. Better safe than sorry.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts

But it isn't the responsible thing to do, it's having people suspend their lives for a month because you are paranoid and know nothing about medicine or pathology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Abbeten said:

But it isn't the responsible thing to do, it's having people suspend their lives for a month because you are paranoid and know nothing about medicine or pathology

Too bad. Again, it's the responsible thing to do. It's not being paranoid. It's being cautious. I know enough to know that someone who could possibly have ebola has a much lower chance of spreading it while they're in quarantine, than when they aren't.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Abbeten

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

Too bad. Again, it's the responsible thing to do. It's not being paranoid. It's being cautious. I know enough to know that someone who could possibly have ebola has a much lower chance of spreading it while they're in quarantine, than when they aren't.

But for real though, how do you even leave your house if you are this irrationally afraid?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

But for real though, how do you even leave your house if you are this irrationally afraid?

Only you seem to think I'm "irrationally afraid".

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Abbeten

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

I think if you asked around, you'd find that isn't the case. There is no sound medical basis for mandatory quarantines of everyone coming in from Africa.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

I think if you asked around, you'd find that isn't the case. There is no sound medical basis for mandatory quarantines of everyone coming in from Africa.

That's bullshit. You simply think it's extreme. That's fine, but don't try and lie and say it wouldn't be effective.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Abbeten

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

That's bullshit. You simply think it's extreme. That's fine, but don't try and lie and say it wouldn't be effective.

No it isn't. Ebola will not get a foothold in the United States even without the quarantines you want. It would be effective in the way that never leaving your house ever again would be a good way to keep from getting stabbed in the street. Effective but entirely unnecessary, and subject to its own damaging costs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

No it isn't. Ebola will not get a foothold in the United States even without the quarantines you want. It would be effective in the way that never leaving your house ever again would be a good way to keep from getting stabbed in the street. Effective but entirely unnecessary, and subject to its own damaging costs.

How can you say it isn't effective and then go on to say it's effective at the end of your post? Please stop.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Abbeten

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

How can you say it isn't effective and then go on to say it's effective at the end of your post? Please stop.

I never said it wouldn't be effective. I said that it's entirely unnecessary. Those words mean different things.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

I never said it wouldn't be effective. I said that it's entirely unnecessary. Those words mean different things.

"No sound medical basis" would seem to imply that it wouldn't be effective, no?

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Abbeten

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

Not at all. Medical treatment always calls for the least invasive form of effective treatment. If you have a small cancerous tumor and you can just have it surgically removed, you don't opt for chemotherapy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

Not at all. Medical treatment always calls for the least invasive form of effective treatment. If you have a small cancerous tumor and you can just have it surgically removed, you don't opt for chemotherapy.

You're playing games. Quarantine is sound. It might be extreme, but it's not like giving chemotherapy to someone who wouldn't need it. That's a disingenuous comparison.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Abbeten

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

You're playing games. Quarantine is sound. It might be extreme, but it's not like giving chemotherapy to someone who wouldn't need it. That's a disingenuous comparison.

No it isn't. There are far less invasive ways of containing ebola. Your method doesn't actually make you any safer and it causes headaches for a lot of people besides.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

No it isn't. There are far less invasive ways of containing ebola. Your method doesn't actually make you any safer and it causes headaches for a lot of people besides.

I really don't care what headaches it causes for other people. You are knowingly putting yourself at risk of contracting an extremely deadly disease by going to these places. Coming back from them you should have to sit in quarantine to make sure you don't have it. That's not unreasonable.

For the sake of discussion, what less invasive ways are there?

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Abbeten

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

I really don't care what headaches it causes for other people. You are knowingly putting yourself at risk of contracting an extremely deadly disease by going to these places. Coming back from them you should have to sit in quarantine to make sure you don't have it. That's not unreasonable.

It is unreasonable, because only a fraction of a percentage of people coming back from the region will actually contract ebola, and they can be easily identified and safely quarantined then. The disease is not nearly as infectious as you think.

The existing system of screening, education, and reactive quarantining is more than sufficient to identify and treat the few people who contract ebola and make it to the United States. Plus, it doesn't **** with the lives of thousands of people.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

It is unreasonable, because only a fraction of a percentage of people coming back from the region will actually contract ebola, and they can be easily identified and safely quarantined then. The disease is not nearly as infectious as you think.

The existing system of screening, education, and reactive quarantining is more than sufficient to identify and treat the few people who contract ebola and make it to the United States. Plus, it doesn't **** with the lives of thousands of people.

I'm sorry but any system that talks about somebody VOLUNTARILY QUARANTINING themselves is one I have no faith in.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Abbeten

The quarantine is voluntary because she hasn't manifested any symptoms and isn't contagious even if she DOES have ebola, which she probably doesn't. It would become considerably less voluntary if she ever at all seemed like she'd be a danger to those around her.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Only by burning her like the witch that she is can we be sure that we have destroyed the contagion within her.

:-/

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#71 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

@lostrib said:

Isn t this the person they kept quarantined in a tent with no heating and a porta potty, but no shower.

And it seems her preliminary blood tests are negative

This would explain the not so thought out response to being quarantined.

Although tbh getting crappy pay doesn't give you an excuse to possibly spreading it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@shadowchronicle said:

@lostrib said:

Isn t this the person they kept quarantined in a tent with no heating and a porta potty, but no shower.

And it seems her preliminary blood tests are negative

This would explain the not so thought out response to being quarantined.

Although tbh getting crappy pay doesn't give you an excuse to possibly spreading it.

Isn't she with doctor's without borders? I don't think they care about the pay. And I thought I read she agreed that she would do voluntary daily checks for symptoms. If she did have Ebola, which there is no current indication she does, she can only spread it once she is showing symptoms

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#73 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

lol at the people still freaking out about ebola.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@airshocker said:

I'm all for a forced quarantine for people flying in from West Africa. Better safe than sorry.

So should Texas be quarantined too? How about New York? Have'nt there been cases of Ebola there?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@lostrib:

Let me know how you feel when you get one and realize you don't have medicine for you because they ran out of it.

Let me know how you feel when you experience the painful symptoms if you managed to score that rare medicine.

I would rather have her isolated just like we isolate astronauts.

Magic your odds of getting killed in a car accident are astronomically higher than any one here contracting Ebola.. Which is more or less 0%.. So please continue this quite frankly hilarious fearmongering while ignoring the real threats in life that are far more likely able to kill you.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#77 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts
@sSubZerOo said:

@magicalclick said:

@lostrib:

Let me know how you feel when you get one and realize you don't have medicine for you because they ran out of it.

Let me know how you feel when you experience the painful symptoms if you managed to score that rare medicine.

Magic your odds of getting killed in a car accident are astronomically higher than any one here contracting Ebola.. Which is more or less 0%.. So please continue this quite frankly hilarious fearmongering while ignoring the real threats in life that are far more likely able to kill you.

That's what I say too, the news is just making people freak out on purpose but the fact of the matter is that the news is spectating about this while also wanting to gain more ratings because apparently people love hearing negativity. Spectating does not mean that they're stating any facts either. People are more likely to die of other things than ebola.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

@magicalclick said:

@lostrib:

The funny thing is how worked up people are about ebola and are calling for all this quarantining and shit, yet how many people can't even be asked to practice proper hygiene and not go out in public while sick to help prevent the spread of the flu which kills tens of thousands of people every year...

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Ebola has a mortality rate around 40%. It's not contagious enough for the general public to get worked up about it, but anyone returning from west Africa absolutely should be submitted to a quarantine period and should be charged with manslaughter if they break quarantine and end up killing somebody with Ebola (assuming they survive the Ebola themselves).

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Abbeten

Well, a judge threw out Maine's attempted quarantine of Hickox

So that's good