Ebola Nurse says she plans to end voluntary quarantine

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

Here is the article.

I think this is appalling. This stupid-ass "nurse" seems to think that she should not be quarantined after getting back from damn west Africa. Who let this woman be a nurse?

From the article:

A nurse who treated Ebola patients in West Africa said Wednesday that she plans to end her voluntary isolation in Maine, leading to a potential showdown with state officials who have vowed to enforce a mandatory quarantine.

Gov. Paul LePage said state police are monitoring the Fort Kent home where nurse Kaci Hickox is staying to ensure her protection as well as the safety of the community, he said.

Hickox told NBC's "Today" show and ABC's "Good Morning America" that she has so far abided by the state's voluntary quarantine. She said she had no contact with anyone Tuesday and will have no human contact again Wednesday. But she said she will take action if the policy isn't changed by Thursday.

"I don't plan on sticking to the guidelines," Hickox said on "Today." ''I remain appalled by these home quarantine policies that have been forced upon me even though I am in perfectly good health."

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

You do know that nothing about becoming an RN is about being a good person right? Don't even try and pull the "they become nurses to help people!" card. In regards to volunteering to go to Africa to fight ebola it isn't like they don't get paid and paid very well. Just like contractors going to Iraq to rebuild the country. Out of the goodness of their hearts eh?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@CreasianDevaili said:

You do know that nothing about becoming an RN is about being a good person right?

So in order for devoting your life to helping others to be worth anything you need to do it for free? Nurses need to make a living as well. Generalizations are normally not the way to go, and you probably shouldn't judge, especially when you're putting thousands of people you don't know into the same group.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#4 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

If you're in the health service industry, and you knowingly expose yourself as a health risk to other people, you are a very unethical person.

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CreasianDevaili

@korvus said:

@CreasianDevaili said:

You do know that nothing about becoming an RN is about being a good person right?

So in order for devoting your life to helping others to be worth anything you need to do it for free? Nurses need to make a living as well. Generalizations are normally not the way to go, and you probably shouldn't judge, especially when you're putting thousands of people you don't know into the same group.

It isn't a generalization. You thinking it's about devoting your life to helping others, is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@CreasianDevaili: I never claimed every single nurse is a nurse to help others, you're the one who claimed that nothing about being a nurse is about being a good person. One of those statements is a generalization, the other is not. Also, the definition of generalization is not "an opinion contrary to mine"

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CreasianDevaili

@korvus said:

@CreasianDevaili: I never claimed every single nurse is a nurse to help others, you're the one who claimed that nothing about being a nurse is about being a good person. One of those statements is a generalization, the other is not. Also, the definition of generalization is not "an opinion contrary to mine"

Well if we're going to be petty then I will go with you on the other side of the boat.

I said nothing about being an RN. You read "becoming" as "being. You do know those words have different definitions right?

Also.. my god man you related nursing to "devoting your life". Your words. Your slip if you wanna get even more petty. You even cut out the rest of my post to go on one sentence in reply. You relate being a nurse to devotion to helping others. That's a statement. A generalization floating around your mind, and sadly, imagination.

Also learn the damn definition of devotion.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts

You do know that you aren't contagious until you start manifesting symptoms, right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@CreasianDevaili: There no one to blame but me for letting myself be so easily trolled. You got me, well done. =)

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CreasianDevaili

@korvus said:

@CreasianDevaili: There no one to blame but me for letting myself be so easily trolled. You got me, well done. =)

Never trolled you. But I figure that was a fun way to try and say what i said was bullshit. Ah well.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I am more interested in what the CDC says about this, you know actual experts with infectious disease expertise. Instead of some stupid state official dumb fucks who are trying to cover their asses to a fearmongering public..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Abbeten said:

You do know that you aren't contagious until you start manifesting symptoms, right

Wouldn't that be potentially too late for public safety though?

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CreasianDevaili

@sSubZerOo said:

I am more interested in what the CDC says about this, you know actual experts with infectious disease expertise. Instead of some stupid state official dumb fucks who are trying to cover their asses to a fearmongering public..

Funny how all the hysteria started over some Texas hospital doing the normal routine for poor people.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Abbeten

@korvus said:

@Abbeten said:

Wouldn't that be potentially too late for public safety though?

Not really, they keep tabs on you and there's hospital protocol when dealing with people who may have been at risk of exposure to ebola and exhibiting symptoms. Even then, it's not a particularly contagious disease, so it's very containable.

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

She's bored. I don't blame her.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Abbeten: But it would be a lot easier to just keep her in quarantine, right? How long is the quarantine supposed to last anyway?

@CreasianDevaili: In that case I must have misunderstood you and I apologise for my passive-aggressive behaviour. Let's start over; my stance is that some nurses (although I obviously wouldn't know %) do decide to become nurses out of desire to help others. I also believe that from those nurses, some of them make quite a big sacrifice in their personal life in order to take that calling (or whatever you want to call it) a step further. It is my understanding that you disagree with my views. Is my assessment correct?

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Abbeten

@korvus said:

@Abbeten: But it would be a lot easier to just keep her in quarantine, right? How long is the quarantine supposed to last anyway?

@CreasianDevaili: In that case I must have misunderstood you and I apologise for my passive-aggressive behaviour. Let's start over; my stance is that some nurses (although I obviously wouldn't know %) do decide to become nurses out of desire to help others. I also believe that from those nurses, some of them make quite a big sacrifice in their personal life in order to take that calling (or whatever you want to call it) a step further. It is my understanding that you disagree with my views. Is my assessment correct?

Quarantine is probably too drastic. If she isn't developing any symptoms, then there's absolutely no danger, and quarantine is obviously really restrictive for her and inconvenient for whomever is responsible for keeping her quarantined.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Isn t this the person they kept quarantined in a tent with no heating and a porta potty, but no shower.

And it seems her preliminary blood tests are negative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Abbeten: You're probably right. I guess it also depends on how she goes about her day. I play basketball, which means in a normal match I "exchange" sweat with 10 to 20 guys...by the time one of them develops symptoms we're probably all screwed =P That being said, I'm really not all that worried about Ebola.

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CreasianDevaili

@korvus said:

No I do not. Perhaps lump it up as difference in semantic.

I do not disagree that it can take a big heart to strive through all of the hell that being a nurse entails. What I disagree with is that becoming an RN means that someone is automatically aligned as a good person. If that were the case then we wouldn't have such widespread cases of abuse not just of patients but also of the narc cart, among other things.

The nursing program in most/many colleges are not a character screening process. Certain things will keep you from being enrolled but psychological screening does not really exist for the most part and is why many programs are being scrutinized.

People seem to think that just because this nurse is a nurse that it means certain things such as virtue of character or supposed virtue of character. Also because she went to Africa to fight Ebola, as a nurse, to further corner her character.

What I choose to judge on someone is not just what they choose, on their own terms, but also what is forced upon them and how they handle or retaliate. This nurse was right to raise hell over how she was treated when she first got back.

But I think she is a bitch for trying to retaliate the way she is and in the end, less she is utterly incompetent, knowing the methods and words she uses will cause further chaos entirely annihilates her supposed nurse sponsored good heart.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lostrib
@magicalclick said:

You know the not so contiguous is is failing? By the time she realized the sneeze she had yesterday isn't really a sneeze, she already spread some. And by the time she realize she really is contiguous, she will spread more on the way with to hospital and her house is a hazard.

And do you even realize the threat of this disease? We don't have enough medicine!!!!! It is not about low spread rate. It is about once you get it, you are almost guaranteed to die due to lack of medicine!

And honestly I think she already got it, thus, she has this urge of not getting confined. Ebola may very well be like those zombie virus you see on snails and ants (yes, they are real, I just don't remember it is a dead virus or a live bacteria). Ebola may very well just so happened to have the DNA sequence to make the host going around to spread it. Why? Virus is always a lottery, there is no why.

do you get this worked up about the Flu?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@CreasianDevaili: Then we have indeed misunderstood each other. Your meaning was that just because someone becomes a nurse it doesn't mean their intention is primarily to help others, and I agree. I also think that a lot of the new nurses do indeed want to help but end up burned out and turn into your average "I don't give a **** about you or your needs" nurse that we so often see. I took it as you saying that there was no possible correlation between being a nurse and being a good person when you meant to say there's no guaranteed correlation, to which I agree.

Also, my posts were aimed as nurses as a group and not this specific nurse (that's why I cut the rest of your post off, not to try to improve my point).

Glad we managed to work it out =P Apologies for the inconvenience ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I'm all for a forced quarantine for people flying in from West Africa. Better safe than sorry.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Has she shown any signs of being infected?

If yes, Then surely a hospital quaratine and aid to combat the illness should be done.

If no, Then she's simply put in Quarantine because of baseless fear and is free to live her life normally.

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CreasianDevaili

@korvus said:

@CreasianDevaili: Then we have indeed misunderstood each other. Your meaning was that just because someone becomes a nurse it doesn't mean their intention is primarily to help others, and I agree. I also think that a lot of the new nurses do indeed want to help but end up burned out and turn into your average "I don't give a **** about you or your needs" nurse that we so often see. I took it as you saying that there was no possible correlation between being a nurse and being a good person when you meant to say there's no guaranteed correlation, to which I agree.

Also, my posts were aimed as nurses as a group and not this specific nurse (that's why I cut the rest of your post off, not to try to improve my point).

Glad we managed to work it out =P Apologies for the inconvenience ;)

No need to apologize. I came off as an ass over a few points myself. I still think this nurse is just making things worse for a wide spectrum of her peers with how she acting up in Maine at the moment. Will see how it pans out.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

I don't think Ebola is a big problem in the US, yet. With that said, this attitude she and some others have is ridiculously selfish. I admire her willingness to help those in need. But she made the choice to go to Africa and should have to face any consequences that might result in; including any and all steps the local government and health organizations deem necessary to be as safe and cautious as possible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Treflis said:

Has she shown any signs of being infected?

If yes, Then surely a hospital quaratine and aid to combat the illness should be done.

If no, Then she's simply put in Quarantine because of baseless fear and is free to live her life normally.

If she doesn't show symptoms after 21 days then there isn't a reason to hold her. But since the time for incubation varies, the prudent thing to do is to quarantine her.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Abbeten

It's not really right to force people to suspend their lives for a month for no reason other than to indulge your paranoia.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lostrib

@airshocker said:

I'm all for a forced quarantine for people flying in from West Africa. Better safe than sorry.

shall we quarantine people suspected of having the flu as well?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:

Nope. But I'm sure many people suffering from the flu would be caught up in this, which makes it a win/win in my book.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Abbeten said:

It's not really right to force people to suspend their lives for a month for no reason other than to indulge your paranoia.

But liberals are all about forcing people to make changes to their lives because of their paranoia. This is a prudent measure. You knew the risks going to West Africa, I have no sympathy.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Abbeten

@airshocker said:
@Abbeten said:

But liberals are all about forcing people to make changes to their lives because of their paranoia. This is a prudent measure. You knew the risks going to West Africa, I have no sympathy.

So you're doing the kind of thing for which you despise liberals but it's okay that you're doing it?

It is not prudent. It will save no one. It is a gross overreaction and a needless restriction on people's lives because you are grossly uninformed and nigh-hysterical as a result.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lostrib

@airshocker said:

@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:

Nope. But I'm sure many people suffering from the flu would be caught up in this, which makes it a win/win in my book.

You do realize that more people die in the US from a single flu season, than the recorded deaths of Ebola (and probably still less if you assume there's 3 times more than reported).

What happened to better safe than sorry?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:
@Abbeten said:

So you're doing the kind of thing for which you despise liberals but it's okay that you're doing it?

It is not prudent. It will save no one. It is a gross overreaction and a needless restriction on people's lives because you are grossly uninformed and nigh-hysterical as a result.

No, I'm making fun of your view point of calling it paranoid. It's not paranoia. It's a reasonable measure. You can't prove that it won't save anybody. But I can prove that someone not having contact with unprotected people for 21 days will drastically reduce the chance of those people not getting infected.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@Kevlar101: what a selfish bitch...

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Abbeten

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:
@Abbeten said:

No, I'm making fun of your view point of calling it paranoid. It's not paranoia. It's a reasonable measure. You can't prove that it won't save anybody. But I can prove that someone not having contact with unprotected people for 21 days will drastically reduce the chance of those people not getting infected.

Do you refuse to leave your house ever because you are scared of getting robbed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:

@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:

You do realize that more people die in the US from a single flu season, than the recorded deaths of Ebola (and probably still less if you assume there's 3 times more than reported).

Nothing happened to "better safe than sorry". I haven't edited my post. I can see it right there. Are you having trouble reading it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:
@Abbeten said:

In other OT news: It's only OK for liberals to do things that would limit peoples rights! Can't let dem durn repubicans temporarily restrict someone for 21 days! DAS TIRRANICAL! Bunch of fucking hypocrites.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Abbeten

@airshocker said:
@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:
@Abbeten said:

In other OT news: It's only OK for liberals to do things that would limit peoples rights! Can't let dem durn repubicans temporarily restrict someone for 21 days! DAS TIRRANICAL! Bunch of fucking hypocrites.

You didn't answer my question

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lostrib

@airshocker said:

@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:

@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:

Nothing happened to "better safe than sorry". I haven't edited my post. I can see it right there. Are you having trouble reading it?

Well you're talking about "better safe than sorry" to quarantine people, I was just wondering why that doesn't expand to a virus that is more easily transmitted and has killed far more people than Ebola

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lostrib

@airshocker said:
@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

Why should it be ok for either side to do it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:
@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:

@Abbeten said:

@airshocker said:
@Abbeten said:

You didn't answer my question

You didn't ask a question. I don't see a question mark.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:

@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:

@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:

Well you're talking about "better safe than sorry" to quarantine people, I was just wondering why that doesn't expand to a virus that is more easily transmitted and has killed far more people than Ebola

Because I was specifically talking about ebola. If you want to talk about the flu I suggest you make a thread about it.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Abbeten

nice one!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lostrib

@airshocker said:
@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:

@lostrib said:

Because I was specifically talking about ebola. If you want to talk about the flu I suggest you make a thread about it.

But why are you okay with it for ebola and not other diseases?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:
@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:

@lostrib said:

Because ebola can be managed. It all depends on what diseases we're talking about. The fact of the matter is that we can do something to stop ebola from infecting anybody else. I really don't care if it's an inconvenience to certain people.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lostrib

@airshocker said:

@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:
@lostrib said:

Because ebola can be managed. It all depends on what diseases we're talking about. The fact of the matter is that we can do something to stop ebola from infecting anybody else. I really don't care if it's an inconvenience to certain people.

Just because we can do something, does not mean we should

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Abbeten

how can one human contain so much cognitive dissonance

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@airshocker: You only don't care because it's not you.

If she has been under quarantine for a few days already showing no symptoms and has tested negative for ebola then let her live her damn life. All these fucking paranoid assholes on here who just want to take these people lives away for 3 weeks make me sick.

The ONLY people who need to be worried about ebola are people who travel a lot and those working in hospitals. Ebola is a very stupid virus and thus will not spread far in the US. Not to mention it is NOT a death sentence here in the States with our 1st world healthcare.

I am a CNA and work with infections that spread the exact same way ebola does. Have not caught a single infection in over 4 years on the job and those infections are NOT obvious at first so we sometimes work WITHOUT proper precautions with said infections as patients aren't diagnosed yet.

TLDR: STFU about ebola people.