Dystopian or Post-apocalyptic era, or both ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MauiLastLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MauiLastLight
Member since 2013 • 36 Posts
What do you like about the idea of living in a dystopian/post-apocalyptic era ? Think about our true human nature if it helps. If some of you lost the sense of entertainment (too much internet it really does harm), this is a purely exercise for imagination.
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

Nothing...

it s the opposite of all that man should strive for. there is nothing good about regression, man should work towards perfection always.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Why would anyone wish to live in the era of a dystopia? At least in a post-apocalyptic setting, there is a chance for freedom.
Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts
Both
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#5 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I'll stay with my games if I want to "live" in post-apocalyptic/dystopian eras. I'm not one of the people that pretends they'd love to actually live through a zombie apocalypse and all the sorts.
MauiLastLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MauiLastLight
Post-apocalyptic era does not mean the era for zombies/aliens/other monsters. Yes, I prefer to live in an era where only the strongest ones will survive and is not about money anymore. There we live the freedom in the true definition of the word. Scientifically we are still animals. Our instincts aren't erased from the roots, it is in our nature to justify anything we do, through rationality the only thing that differs us from the other animals. People don't strive much, we are still predominated by instinct - hence the hypocrisy and other elements, are the base of the ideology of surviving. I am bored, I will come back in a few months. Really. The moderator is welcome to delete my posts if any seems like spam/useless. Cheers !
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

It's a great concept for storytelling. I wouldn't want one in our world though.

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

I think this guy could be the new GreekGameManiac

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#9 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
[QUOTE="MauiLastLight"]Post-apocalyptic era does not mean the era for zombies/aliens/other monsters. Yes, I prefer to live in an era where only the strongest ones will survive and is not about money anymore. There we live the freedom in the true definition of the word. Scientifically we are still animals. Our instincts aren't erased from the roots, it is in our nature to justify anything we do, through rationality the only thing that differs us from the other animals. People don't strive much, we are still predominated by instinct - hence the hypocrisy and other elements, are the base of the ideology of surviving. I am bored, I will come back in a few months. Really. The moderator is welcome to delete my posts if any seems like spam/useless. Cheers !

The zombie apocalypse was just an example of a post-apocalyptic situation lots of people say they'd love to live through, didn't mean you were talking about zombies/monsters yourself :P
MauiLastLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MauiLastLight
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29411637/greekgamemaniac-has-been-banned Interesting insults there, I am a girl actually and I don't care for what reason that user got banned. I checked now on Google. If this forum is full of people like you, then clearly you are a lost case. As you can see, I don't go further with anything, I am just standing in my place and yet, others struggle to show off their intelligence through the same issues - ignorance and hypocrisy - just the same reason that cyberbullies justify their mindless acts.
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

:lol: Aren't you uppity for a wee lil' noob?

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
Well much of the world is dystopian now. So I'd say post-apocalyptic just for a change of scenery.
VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

post apocalyptic era for sure, well i always find beauty in destruction. nothing is more beautiful than a decaying megacity. :)

OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

It all depends on your dystopia, really.

If it's a 1984/Hunger Games/Logan's Run world, where death is almost assured to happen early and at a young age, then no. Sign me on for one closer to a utopia (This Perfect Day, Brave New World).

In the way of the world, though, it'll be more realistic to assume that dystopia would look like a hybrid of the fashionpunk (Grey and Yarn) and cyberpunk (Gibson's "Sprawl" novels, Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive), where PR and information are more important than truth, and life at the lowest levels is borderline anarchy.

Post-apocalypse... give me the world of The Stand, post-Flagg. Once we get to branch away from Boulder, it would be tolerable. I can load my own ammo and hunt, so food wouldn't be a problem, and given the lack of people who think upstate NY is an attractive place in the winter, I can gobble up all of the canned stuff with no competion.

Keep in mind, though, that most dystopian fiction follows some form of apocalypse, so separating the two is tricky.

Also, don't get caught in the trap that if you were in a dystopic world, you would be the force to change it. That happens exactly twice in the books I've read (This Perfect Day and The Hunger Games trilogy).

MauiLastLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MauiLastLight

:lol: Aren't you uppity for a wee lil' noob?

MissLibrarian
English is not my first language so I am not familiar to all these wannabe tough ass expressions. But since you are funny, I am going to write it on my calendar to wake up next month to laugh at your joke.. or whatever you wanted that to be ;)) Lol, I just read that uppity means also arrogance. You are the second person to call me an arrogant in my whole life, seriously. Is not even one of the last things that suits me. I am not arrogant at all, actually I am an unserious person who laughs at anything even if is something immoral. Unlike others here, who takes these kind of questions too seriously and they have blashful reactions.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I don't find either kind of era to be too appealing, personally.

dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts

Neither. Of course if you're talking about video games, or fiction, i find dystopian futures more interesting. 

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts
I'll stay with my games if I want to "live" in post-apocalyptic/dystopian eras. I'm not one of the people that pretends they'd love to actually live through a zombie apocalypse and all the sorts.Dudersaper
Seconded. I like post-apocalyptic games like The Last of Us, RAGE, and Fallout: New Vegas, but living through any of those in real life would be hell. Nothing good to eat, no games or Internet, everyone and everything trying to kill you, radiation, and a scarcity of attractive women. I'll pass.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

I think this guy could be the new GreekGameManiac

MissLibrarian
I think he is Banjo.
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]I'll stay with my games if I want to "live" in post-apocalyptic/dystopian eras. I'm not one of the people that pretends they'd love to actually live through a zombie apocalypse and all the sorts.gamerguru100
Seconded. I like post-apocalyptic games like The Last of Us, RAGE, and Fallout: New Vegas, but living through any of those in real life would be hell. Nothing good to eat, no games or Internet, everyone and everything trying to kill you, radiation, and a scarcity of attractive women. I'll pass.

Same. The cyberpunk theme has run its course.as most of themes that we've considered to be cyberpunk in past are everyday occurrences.