Dutch experts hack Google Glass

#1 Posted by deeliman (2355 posts) -

Dutch computer experts have devised a trick for infiltrating and taking over Glass, Google's information glasses. Without too much difficulty, bystanders can then remotely see what the wearer is viewing.

© ap.

Google co-founder Sergey Brin.

With a few rows of additional software, hackers can take photos and make films without the Glasswearer even knowing. These images can then be sent to another computer.

Employees at the Nijmegen ICT company Masc and accountancy office Deloitte (which also has a computer security department) demonstrated this ability to the Volkskrant. Anyone with malicious intentions can use a USB stick to enter a 'script' in the glasses at an unguarded moment which then allows them to take control.

Malware via wifi

According to one hacker, a possible attack scenario could involve a user lending his Glass device to an interested person (a pretty girl in the pub), who then sticks a USB stick into the device when no one is looking. In another scenario, the malware is distributed via a wifi network or an app on the telephone (the Glass can only be used when connected to a telephone).

According to Bosboom, it just took one evening and a few pizzas for a dozenhackers to come up with this scenario. 'We were thinking about worst-case-scenarios with these glasses. We then came up with the idea of someone being able to view what the wearer is watching. This means that you are better off not wearing the glasses when using a cash-point or engaging in other private activities.

'Too easy'

Breaking into the system is relatively easy. You don't need to break a code; you don't need to capture a server. 'Hardcore hackers wouldn't even bother with it', says Bosboom. 'They would find access too easy.'

According to a Google spokesperson, security is an area that needs attention with respect to Glass. In new versions, the screen locks just like a smartphone, and can only be opened with a code. This, however, doesn't offer any protection against camera hijacking. 'The more feedback we obtain, the safer we will be able to make Glass for the wider launch later on this year.'

Link

This is a pretty huge security threat, they better fix it or no one will buy it

#2 Posted by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

Security threat or not, I wasn't going to buy it anyway.

#3 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

Well duh, its digital which means it can and will be hacked.

I don't intend to become a robot so I won't be going beyond a smartphone and a tablet any time soon.

#4 Posted by comp_atkins (31204 posts) -

is it really a "hack" if you give your device over to someone else and they put malicious software on it? it's kinda your own fault.

reminds me of people who claim their facebook accounts are "hacked" when they leave themselves signed on and someone else makes post from their account.

#5 Posted by Korvus (2926 posts) -

I hope they can the whole thing altogether...

#6 Posted by The-Apostle (12143 posts) -

@korvus said:

I hope they can the whole thing altogether...

I think you're missing a word or two there... >_>

Anyway, I'm definitely buying it once I can afford it. :D

#7 Posted by Korvus (2926 posts) -

@The-Apostle: Am I? It's possible...my English does fail me sometimes. What I was trying to say is that I hope they scrap the whole project. We don't need it to become a habit to have people with cameras pointed at everything they're looking at.

#8 Posted by achilles614 (4846 posts) -

@korvus said:

@The-Apostle: Am I? It's possible...my English does fail me sometimes. What I was trying to say is that I hope they scrap the whole project. We don't need it to become a habit to have people with cameras pointed at everything they're looking at.

I had to do a double take on your post at first, but I understood what you said/meant. English seems fine.

#9 Edited by Korvus (2926 posts) -

@achilles614: Probably should have used "scrap" or "trash" instead of "can" on the original post =P

EDIT: Guess that's what happens when you're working and replying on GS every time you have a 2 minute break =p

#10 Posted by Master_Live (13994 posts) -

I think the Google Glass is neat, hacking it is neater.

#11 Posted by deeliman (2355 posts) -

@korvus Get your lazy ass back to work!

#12 Edited by Korvus (2926 posts) -

@deeliman: Tried to put it in spoiler tags not to take so much room but as per GS usual, it f's it up...

#13 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25903 posts) -

Still interested in it.

#14 Edited by 91210user (234 posts) -

Google Glasses isn't even out yet. I think these 'experts' are doing Google's dirty work for nothing. Besides, many organizations are going to ban those glasses in places if it gets out of control. What's the real 'threat' anyways? I'm not surprised if these folks issued a statement if it's not that threatening.

#15 Posted by Kevlar101 (6008 posts) -

@korvus said:

@achilles614: Probably should have used "scrap" or "trash" instead of "can" on the original post =P

EDIT: Guess that's what happens when you're working and replying on GS every time you have a 2 minute break =p

Ohhh I get it.

Can = Cancel

#16 Posted by Korvus (2926 posts) -

@Kevlar101: Yeah; don't think I've ever used that expression before. I guess it's better not to use it when it results in weird sentences XD

#17 Edited by Open-Casket (72 posts) -

I hate the Dutch. However I also hate people who are intolerant to other cultures. Eh, not interested in these glasses.