Drones are being held back

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Forbes: Drones are the latest object of threat inflation

Made up threats are scaring people from investing in drones.

RT: US drone pilots exhausted demoralized

The pilots feel stressed and demoralized because no one believes and support their occupation.

How do you feel about drones?

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Love 'em

keep killing terrorist!!

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Well, it's not like they are dropping nukes.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

UAVs (drones) are awesome. Not all of them are just for blowing up terrorists (or freedom fighters, depending on who is talking). A lot of the military drones are used for overhead watch during missions. People in the tactical operations center giving orders can relay information to the troops on the ground based on survelence from the drone which can save lives.

When they are used to kill targets current policies require the pilots to take the upmost care not to kill innocent civilians and I've personally seen missions called off due to somebody not being targeted getting too close to the kill zone. I know the media likes to make it sound like drone pilots will blow up a day care to get a terrorist and shoot again at the EMTs rendering care but that just doesn't make sense. Hearts and minda is a major military policy and killing innocent people is ineffective to that policy.

Outside of military purposes, drones can be used to find lost children in a forest or transport supplies. I know it has gotten popular for people who don't trust the government to threaten to shoot every drone they see down but it seems laughable since if they are that paranoid they might as well throw away their phones and any device they own that can connect to the internet. Not to mention nothing you can legally buy will shoot down a drone that has the firepower to shoot back anyway, at best you can use your rifles to shoot down the Amazon drones that are in the works.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Can't wait until I get my hands on one of those.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@reaper4278 said:

@thegerg said:

I love me some UAS. People need to understand that the great majority of the time these things are not used to kill people. Hell, the only ones I've ever personally had hands on are incapable of killing someone unless they fall out of the sky onto their head.

They're great tools.

Our MQ-9's are heavily armed so we have the capability to take people out, but as you said the majority of the time that is not what they are used for. Our munitions are mainly to assist with CAS during TICs.

Do you happen to be stationed in New Mexico.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Love 'em

keep killing terrorist!!

most don't though.

95% of the time it's just a flying camera.

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

I love big brother flying over my shoulder, especially when something that can vaporize me is strapped to it.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@geniobastardo said:

I don't support the idea of drones. I live in Pakistan and I know how many innocent people get caught up in those drone attacks. They are never specific about their attacks so many innocents (including children, women, infirm and old people) die. Media never shows this on TV and I don't know the reason. It is only the citizens who know the truth and I know it. I'm not supporting terrorists but let me be clear, there are better ways to pull these terrorists off. Negotiations, that is.

Moreover, a few months back, Pakistani Govt. and Taliban decided to hold peace negotiations and just when they were about to be successful, guess what happened?? A flying f**king drone came out of nowhere and bombed the leader of the Taliban (don't remember the name). Negotiations failed and the Talibans blamed the Pakistani Govt. for this act. Peace, when it was about to be ensured to us, those drones took it away. American Govt. admitted that they did all that knowingly but it's aftermaths on Pakistan were never revealed to the mass media. Why???? because f*c*ing Obama and his democratic policies, that's why!

What did these "negotiations" entailed?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

For a fraction of the cost of manned air vehicles with absolutely none of the risk, the same job can be accomplished. Plus it's way cheaper then high tech ballistic missiles. Why wouldn't anyone support that? I'm all for doing anything that limits the risks of our service men and women. Drones have a very important place in modern warfare.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Wow

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

Honestly I'm much more concerned about the CIA's paramilitary force of drones and their rules (or lack thereof) of engagement than the military's use of drones. One thing I've found interesting though is cases of PTSD among drone pilots - it's one thing to fight on a battlefield, it's a completely different animal when you're fighting from the comfort of an office and going home to dinner with your family every night. There's something about the whole operation that is often a bit too sanitized for the mind to cope with.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts
@reaper4278 said:

I am a certified USAF Mission Intelligence Coordinator and Intelligence Operations Supervisor, So I am either in the seat running these missions (telling the crew where to go/what to look at) or as an IOS I oversee up to 4 MICs running combat lines daily. I can tell you for a fact actually employing munitions off these things is a rare occurrence. The majority of time is spent conducting surveillance or overwatching our troops on the ground to keep them safe. The #1 priority EVERY mission is to avoid any and all civilian casualties. It is drilled into our heads constantly with briefings and tests to make sure we get the rules and are reminded of them constantly.

Bottom line is civilians think all we do is bomb people all day, and that is completely false; I know people who have been doing this for years and have never fired a shot or been part of a strike period. Our main mission is to support our brothers and sisters on the ground, and it is one we are proud of. We are there to help them get home to their families safe.

Edit: Just started reading the RT.com crap, and it is just that -CRAP. Russia Today is Russian State Media and one of the worst propaganda machines I have ever seen. My pilots love their job, not sure wtf these guys are talking about. Many will tell you while they loved flying "real" aircraft this job is much more rewarding and meaningful. And our "overworked" pilots typically only work 8 hour shifts and work 5 days with 3 days off lol. Poor training? Bullshit. Unwilling? Bullshit. I am trying to find this GAO report to form my own opinion, the spin RT.com puts on things is complete shit.

I like this guy, he can stay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@reaper4278 said:

@ultimate-k said:

I don't know who is a bigger drone the ignorant brain washed soul dier order follower, or the drone itself.

Drones operating drones!

Big guy calling someone a coward on the internet eh? Wtf does some turd like you know about war? CoD? BF4? Most of the pilots who operate these aircraft came from flying real aircraft, the likes of which little pansies like you could probably not take off in without throwing up. They are people who sign an oath to give their life for their country. Wtf do you do?

This is a smart and cheap way to fight, but don't think for a second any one of these men or women would not go to real combat for their country. You don't know shit. I'll leave the rest of what I got to say to you for PM.

How are you giving your life to your country? Sitting at a computer far away from any actual danger.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts
@toast_burner said:

How are you giving your life to your country? Sitting at a computer far away from any actual danger.

LOL

Drones are cool. Not for warfare, though. They are interesting technology, to say the least.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Its very reassuring to know all of the govts brainwashing is working based on how many people here defend whats happening with these cowardly tools around the globe, good job guys keep buryin yo heads in the sand and everything will be alright.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@l34052 said:

Its very reassuring to know all of the govts brainwashing is working based on how many people here defend whats happening with these cowardly tools around the globe, good job guys keep buryin yo heads in the sand and everything will be alright.

Are strikes from military jets or Navy ships cowardly as well?

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

I dunno, i remember reading an article somewhere, i'm not sure if it was a magazine in the library, or online, but it said that people living in Pakistan are basically very scared to go outside, for example, to weddings, to grocery stores to buy stuff etc, because they're terrified of being hit by UAVs which are looking for targets.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

if it helps them feel more of a pussy then why not?

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

I like drones. It gives our side the edge.