dont u think americans make racism a big deal sometimes?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cashgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 cashgee
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts

for example resident evil 5.

ppl in my country are black and they dont even care about what these americans think are racist.

Fignewton50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Fignewton50
Member since 2003 • 3748 Posts
It is a big deal. Racism is still very prevalent in the US, and it's unfortunate.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts
True racism is a very big deal. Resident Evil 5 is not racism, however.
doubleajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 doubleajunkie
Member since 2008 • 369 Posts
Agreed. Why the heck do people need to be racist anyway? It's stupid.
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts
i'm an american and i can safely say that i believe racism is perpetuated by the supported interpretation of racism.

It is a big deal. Racism is still very prevalent in the US, and it's unfortunate. Fignewton50

statements like this is what i'm referring to. this is why racism is so prevalent. because people believe in it, blame it and still by their thoughts and actions support it and interpret it.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

Real racism is a big deal.

The RE5 thing, well the media just loves controversy and for some reason gives some folks the mic all the time.

effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 effthat
Member since 2007 • 2314 Posts

Racism is a big deal. It is prevalent.

I think that the PC stance is the wrong way to go about solving the problem. The PC stance makes it taboo to recognize the reality that we are different. It lowers everyone to the lowest common denominator. Instead we should celebrate the differences amongst the human race. We tend to look at cultural differences eveywhere else as enriching and interesting, but if a white person mentions something about the black culture, it's suddenly racist. Now, make no mistake that there are tactful ways to address the differences, but sweeping them under a rug is just as disrespectful as any racial slur.

Fignewton50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fignewton50

[QUOTE="Fignewton50"]It is a big deal. Racism is still very prevalent in the US, and it's unfortunate. z4twenny

statements like this is what i'm referring to. this is why racism is so prevalent. because people believe in it, blame it and still by their thoughts and actions support it and interpret it.

I am the furthest thing from a racist. My reasons for believing racism is still prevalent is not because I help propogate it somehow. I know racism still exists because of my observation of actions and words by people in this country. It is especially concerning and brought to the forefront when you hear about people basing their vote for president on the color of someone's skin. That's real racism in the heart of this country that no amount of talking will ever get rid of.

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts

I think that the PC stance is the wrong way to go about solving the problem. The PC stance makes it taboo to recognize the reality that we are different. It lowers everyone to the lowest common denominator. Instead we should celebrate the differences amongst the human race. We tend to look at cultural differences eveywhere else as enriching and interesting, but if a white person mentions something about the black culture, it's suddenly racist. Now, make no mistake that there are tactful ways to address the differences, but sweeping them under a rug is just as disrespectful as any racial slur.

effthat

While I disagree with the first line-it exists, but it is nowhere near as common as it once was-I agree wholeheartedly with the rest.

Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts
It's a big deal all around the world, but the re5 controversy made me laugh. It didn't hit me that it could be looked upon that way until I saw a thread about it here in OT.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58439 Posts

Well, the thing is, the majority of America is not so racist anymore. I mean, everyone is a racist to some degree, but most Americans dont act on it one little bit.

The reason it seems so bad is because these bored housewives and lawyers who love to win on the most trivial thing make a big deal about. The media gets a hold of it and, boom, suddenly its a big deal. Fortunately this crap is quickly forgotten.

I will say this, though: I have travelled all over the world, and America is the least racist place I have been. Other nations could really take a lesson from us and our often-excessive racism sensitivity.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrbojangles25
i'm an american and i can safely say that i believe racism is perpetuated by the supported interpretation of racism.

[QUOTE="Fignewton50"]It is a big deal. Racism is still very prevalent in the US, and it's unfortunate. z4twenny

exactly.

people are like "US is still racist, so whats the big deal if I believe in/follow the stereotype"

Still, its hard not to be racist when every single time you see a 1980s import with aluminum sideskirts and you say "10 bucks says its a Hispanic" and you are right. I have yet to be proven wrong lol.

esb1118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 esb1118
Member since 2007 • 2661 Posts

None of what you are saying makes sense
effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 effthat
[QUOTE="effthat"]

thepwninator

While I disagree with the first line-it exists, but it is nowhere near as common as it once was-I agree wholeheartedly with the rest.

It depends on how you quantify the amount of racism. If you chalk up the number of black people killed by the klan then yeah it's not nearly as prevalent. The prevalance i'm speaking of is more subtle. Racism isn't just about killing people or withholding jobs, or lease agreements, or whatever. It's become such a taboo that it's ingrained in our society. there is an underlying mummer of these differences and the fact that we can't talk about them, acknowledge them, and move on has caused a sort of unconcious racial profiling. If you assume that someone who is black has lead a tough life and has been exposed to racism and you make a concious effort to not be racist then inadvertantly you're treating them differently based on race and therefore being racist.

It's less of an issue than the lynchings, but the damage it does is still very real. I grew up (mostly) in southern rural VA. Until a few years ago, the biggest business in the area was tobacco farming. I was the minority in my school and like it or not I was treated differently. I even had a teacher give me a discipline notice for following the rules. When she was confronted about it all she could say was things like "you people don't respect us." The administration did nothing because the NAACP would be brought in and it would be an administrative nightmare.

So, understand when I say prevalent, I don't mean it's to the degree that it was or in the same form that we assume "racists" show.

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#16 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
Racism still exsists, and not just in the US. Something like that shouldn't be ignored or taken lightly.
Fignewton50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fignewton50
[QUOTE="z4twenny"]i'm an american and i can safely say that i believe racism is perpetuated by the supported interpretation of racism.

[QUOTE="Fignewton50"]It is a big deal. Racism is still very prevalent in the US, and it's unfortunate. mrbojangles25

exactly.

people are like "US is still racist, so whats the big deal if I believe in/follow the stereotype"

Still, its hard not to be racist when every single time you see a 1980s import with aluminum sideskirts and you say "10 bucks says its a Hispanic" and you are right. I have yet to be proven wrong lol.

I really don't think admitting racism exists in the US is somehow creating more racists. It's the stereotypes and generalizations you just posted that do not do anything to help the current state of unacceptance and ignorance in this country.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts
I mean, everyone is a racist to some degree, but most Americans dont act on it one little bit.

mrbojangles25

That is not true at all....

DHPMSHGman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DHPMSHGman
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

It is a big deal. Racism is still very prevalent in the US, and it's unfortunate. Fignewton50

Not for me and my school (Ironically I live in Southern Louisiana). We joke about race all the time at my school. For Example, on a band trip a black kid dress in a green shirt blue pants and a red hat, so a white kid to a picture and showed it to him and said that black people do come in colors. It's pretty loose at my school, like calling my black friend white because he acts white.

esb1118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 esb1118
Member since 2007 • 2661 Posts

[QUOTE="Fignewton50"]It is a big deal. Racism is still very prevalent in the US, and it's unfortunate. DHPMSHGman

Not for me and my school (Ironically I live in Southern Louisiana). We joke about race all the time at my school. For Example, on a band trip a black kid dress in a green shirt blue pants and a red hat, so a white kid to a picture and showed it to him and said that black people do come in colors. It's pretty loose at my school, like calling my black friend white because he acts white.

Nice job trying to counter his point
Fignewton50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fignewton50

[QUOTE="Fignewton50"]It is a big deal. Racism is still very prevalent in the US, and it's unfortunate. DHPMSHGman

That's great, but unfortunately not all parts of the country are as integrated and accepting as your school. There are areas of the country where racism is practically non-existent, but other areas where it's as bad as it ever was and contiunes to be passed from generation to generation.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"][QUOTE="z4twenny"]i'm an american and i can safely say that i believe racism is perpetuated by the supported interpretation of racism.

[QUOTE="Fignewton50"]It is a big deal. Racism is still very prevalent in the US, and it's unfortunate. Fignewton50

exactly.

I really don't think admitting racism exists in the US is somehow creating more racists. It's the stereotypes and generalizations you just posted that do not do anything to help the current state of unacceptance and ignorance in this country.

but who's fault is that? the so-called "racists" or the people fitting themselves to a stereotype?

I treat everyone equal, but like I said its hard to be anti-racists when every time you see a stereotype your assumptions are proven true.

My attitude is this...you have blacks, and you have n-words...you have whites, and you have bigots...you have asians, and you have ch****, g***s, etc....you have hispanics, and you have sp***.

I do my best to treat everyone equally, but I am not so naive to think that there are not people that do not fit into a stereotype. When I see a black person, I dont automatically think "n*****" I think "oh, its a person just like me". But when I see a black guy with pants down at his knees, a big poofy vest in 90 degree weather, I cant help but think he might be a n*****. When I see a black guy who looks down on his luck, but then hops into tricked out impala, and then that night on the news I see someone say how black people dont have money to send their kids to school, I feel depressed because I cant help but think a lot of these "poor" uneducated blacks are just too stupid to save their money for something that matters. But then I ask myself: "why do I feel guilty? they are the ones perpetuating the stereotype".

Tolerance and change lies in the hands of the persecuted as much as it does in the persecutors. This is especially true today. All minorities have to do is quit acting the part.

For you black-or-white thinkers our there (no pun intended) I realize my gray mindset might be difficult for you to grasp ("oh, any form of racism is wrong!" you might say) but that is just, from my 24 years on this earth, how the world works. I am not a practicing-racist; I dont automatically think of non-whites as inferior.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

That's great, but unfortunately not all parts of the country are as integrated and accepting as your school. There are areas of the country where racism is practically non-existent, but other areas where it's as bad as it ever was and contiunes to be passed from generation to generation.

Fignewton50
The US is not near as racist as it used to be. Does it exist? For some people.....yes unfortunately. But the US is NOT the only country that has racists.
msi276

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 msi276
Member since 2007 • 1400 Posts
Ive gotten over it. I can handle getting called a word. That word has no power over me. But I will have to watch idiots on the news giving their 2 cents until everyone can realize its just a word and if you show that you dont care you are the smarter person.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts
Most of us do make it a big deal, and we're right. And a lot of people are hippocrits.(Not me. I'm no racist) As to Resident Evil5, it's a zombie game that takes place in AFRICA, so of course you'll be shooting Africans. It's not racism, it's just a game.
Fignewton50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Fignewton50

but who's fault is that? the so-called "racists" or the people fitting themselves to a stereotype?

I treat everyone equal, but like I said its hard to be anti-racists when every time you see a stereotype your assumptions are proven true.

My attitude is this...you have blacks, and you have n-words...you have whites, and you have bigots...you have asians, and you have ch****, g***s, etc....you have hispanics, and you have sp***.

I do my best to treat everyone equally, but I am not so naive to think that there are not people that do not fit into a stereotype. When I see a black person, I dont automatically think "n*****" I think "oh, its a person just like me". But when I see a black guy with pants down at his knees, a big poofy vest in 90 degree weather, I cant help but think he might be a n*****. When I see a black guy who looks down on his luck, but then hops into tricked out impala, and then that night on the news I see someone say how black people dont have money to send their kids to school, I feel depressed because I cant help but think a lot of these "poor" uneducated blacks are just too stupid to save their money for something that matters. But then I ask myself: "why do I feel guilty? they are the ones perpetuating the stereotype".

Tolerance and change lies in the hands of the persecuted as much as it does in the persecutors. This is especially true today. All minorities have to do is quit acting the part.

For you black-or-white thinkers our there (no pun intended) I realize my gray mindset might be difficult for you to grasp ("oh, any form of racism is wrong!" you might say) but that is just, from my 24 years on this earth, how the world works. I am not a practicing-racist; I dont automatically think of non-whites as inferior.

mrbojangles25

It sounds like you're trying to justify the stereotypes you have because people continue to validate them for you, like it's somehow their fault that you think this way. This is a whole different topic, but the n-word is a very racist term that you throw around heedlessly.

You sound very intolerant, and saying that you'll stop thinking this way when minorities change is completely irresponsible. It's the people with these viewpoints that need to become more tolerant.

Racism isn't going to disappear because minorities all of a sudden start behaving the way we think they should and our stereotypes become inaccurate. It's our job to eliminate these stereotypes, and when people think the way you've described it only furthers the differences between us and perpetuates the problem itself.

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
it's ridiculous to call re5 racist. it takes place in africa. would you expect to see no africans in africa?
effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 effthat
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Fignewton50

It sounds like you're trying to justify the stereotypes you have because people continue to validate them for you, like it's somehow their fault that you think this way. This is a whole different topic, but the n-word is a very racist term that you throw around heedlessly.

You sound very intolerant, and saying that you'll stop thinking this way when minorities change is completely irresponsible. It's the people with these viewpoints that need to become more tolerant.

Racism isn't going to disappear because minorities all of a sudden start behaving the way we think they should and our stereotypes become inaccurate. It's our job to eliminate these stereotypes, and when people think the way you've described it only furthers the differences between us and perpetuates the problem itself.

Mark Twain used the "N" word relentless in what might be the greatest piece of literary work to come from an American writer. Was Mark Twain racist?

I think that his use of slurs isn't malicious. It's just the name that society has given the stereotype.

Now, I'm not saying that it's entirely up to the stereotype to change. That's like when your big brother used the old "quit hitting yourself" routine. That being said, there is a certain amount of validation. In fact it's been my experience that there is a great deal of social pressure for a person of any ethnicity to live up to the stereotype. It's not a new phenomenon either. House slaves were despised by the rest. They recieved special treatment, didn't do the same amount of physical labor, and generally had better lives.

There is resentment by those who feel persecuted when someone they think should also be persecuted succeeds regardless of how they came about this success.

The smartest girl I knew in highschool was black. She was constantly exiled by the other black kids because she was in "smart" classes. She was rarely invited to hang out with the white kids either. She spent long nights talking to people on the internet. Race is irrelevant there and people are all willing to listen.

So, let's not imagine that we can stop racism all by ourselves. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Fignewton50

1. I have never called ANYONE a n*****. I cannot be any more clear about that. At the most, I thought to myself "boy, if anyone were to be a n****, that would be him".

2. Despite what I posted, I hate racists. With a passion. my roommate was a racist (unlike me, he actually used derogatory terms freely) and I constantly fought him verbally and eventually physically a few times.

3. I was merely trying to play Devil's Advocate, and express how I feel at times. But the fact is, stereotypes are here to stay. We cannot make them disappear. Furthermore, stereotypes are bad...maybe that is our confusion here. When I think of a stereotypical n*****, I think of gangbanging drug dealers, stupid rappers (not all rap is bad, but a lot is, and suprise suprise they also perpetuate the stereotypes), etc and THEYRE ALL BAD CHARACATERISTICS! I guess what I am trying to say is that to have a culture is fine, but to embrace bad traits because you are a member of a minority is wrong.
Just please, for the love of god, dont called me a racists. I am just a guy who isnt so naive to think that, on occasion, racism never has merit.
Fignewton50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Fignewton50

Mark Twain used the "N" word relentless in what might be the greatest piece of literary work to come from an American writer. Was Mark Twain racist?

I think that his use of slurs isn't malicious. It's just the name that society has given the stereotype.
effthat

That's a trap question. My initial response was "yes", but it isn't exactly his fault. One, those weren't his words but rather a piece of writing that attempted to depict others in that time period. Had he called someone the n-word in everyday converstation, then yes he would be a racist. Second, slavery was legal when Huck Finn was written, so many Americans were not only racists but slave owners.

Now, I'm not saying that it's entirely up to the stereotype to change. That's like when your big brother used the old "quit hitting yourself" routine. That being said, there is a certain amount of validation. In fact it's been my experience that there is a great deal of social pressure for a person of any ethnicity to live up to the stereotype. It's not a new phenomenon either. House slaves were despised by the rest. They recieved special treatment, didn't do the same amount of physical labor, and generally had better lives.

There is resentment by those who feel persecuted when someone they think should also be persecuted succeeds regardless of how they came about this success.

The smartest girl I knew in highschool was black. She was constantly exiled by the other black kids because she was in "smart" ****s. She was rarely invited to hang out with the white kids either. She spent long nights talking to people on the internet. Race is irrelevant there and people are all willing to listen.

So, let's not imagine that we can stop racism all by ourselves. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
effthat

I agree, racism is not something one group of people can turn off. The US has been working to become more tolerant and compassionate towards many different groups since its inception. It's not going to change overnight, nor is there one simple answer. My only problem is people who aren't motivated to become part of the solution and help the country become more tolerant by starting with themselves.
Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

IMO

1. It is a big deal, not just in America. And the people who bring up the RE5 thing as racists are just attention whores. Though some of the people who respond to them sound pretty ignorant.
  2. Sadly as long as people appear slitghtly diffferent will might always have this problem.
  3. There will always be racists out there, that doesn't excuse you or anyone else. It is never good to keep a school yard mentality.
  4. Try to meet people before you judge them, the most thugged out looking gangstas could be one of the friendliest people you ever meet. Or do what I do and don't give a crap about anyone you don't know.
Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts

Some use it to explain why they have failed at life. They don't care who the "man" is as long as they can keep using him for their excuse.

You just hear about it more in America because everyone uses it. From the poor guy on the street to guys who get paid millions to play sports. Then you have the media who blows it up about 100 times and thats why everyone think America has a horrible racism problem.

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts

America doesn't think that Resident Evil 5 is racist, just a few people with sharp sticks up their--

ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#34 ishoturface
Member since 2007 • 12460 Posts

ppl in my country are black and they dont even care about what these americans think are racist.

cashgee
RE 5 is not racist
haggard_korn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 haggard_korn
Member since 2006 • 3662 Posts
it seems blacks are more racist now, but saying that would be racist wouldn't it?
BarryObama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BarryObama
Member since 2008 • 390 Posts
a black person has the democratic nominee. the race card hath expired.
Lil_Dwayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lil_Dwayne
Member since 2008 • 629 Posts

Well, the thing is, the majority of America is not so racist anymore. I mean, everyone is a racist to some degree, but most Americans dont act on it one little bit.

The reason it seems so bad is because these bored housewives and lawyers who love to win on the most trivial thing make a big deal about. The media gets a hold of it and, boom, suddenly its a big deal. Fortunately this crap is quickly forgotten.

I will say this, though: I have travelled all over the world, and America is the least racist place I have been. Other nations could really take a lesson from us and our often-excessive racism sensitivity.

mrbojangles25

If you are white in America how would you ever know?

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Lil_Dwayne

Racism isn't necesarily white and black in the rest of the world.

THE_BRUTALIZER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 THE_BRUTALIZER
Member since 2008 • 3488 Posts
Im white, i call my black friend a **** n-word (Gamespot blocks the n word) all the time and he calls me tighty whitey...... We have fun with racism lol
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Lil_Dwayne

oh, you know...reverse discrimination, the media, etc. Just because white people cant empathize does not mean we cant sympathize.

ParadiseAwaits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ParadiseAwaits
Member since 2007 • 1410 Posts

Only idiots believe racism exists. The people whom believe in the ideal of racism are the same idiots who spread racism.

America is practically the only country in the world who comes up with the stupidest policies and ideas. "political correctness" which completely defies logic. If a man is black then he is automatically African-American. Regardless of his heritage or where he was born. If your black, then you're African.

That's why it's stupid, and that's why you have to be an idiot to appreicate racism.

^^^ idiots keep the idea of "racism" alive.

In reality there is no such thing. Only the idea. This idea will never die as long as politicians acknowledge it and spread it.

pseudodog07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 pseudodog07
Member since 2008 • 1106 Posts
These days it's become so stupid, if you have more than 5 whites working somewhere without a minority, they call you racist. As a result many poeple have been forced to become pro-black, and I'm talking about pro-gangsta rap black. You're shunned from the crud media created affirmitive action culture if you mention all the reverse discrimination and double standards going on. Obama says we need to be "our brothers keeper" whether we like it or not, and to him that includes all illegal aliens. We can't mention his middle name on this board or 10 people jump on you and call you a white supremicist bigot and loser McCain believes the same thing. It all makes me ill, if you want to know the truth. I say and do what I believe is right and don't care if that angers the pro-black, pro-double standard people.
qwertyoip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 qwertyoip
Member since 2007 • 1681 Posts
scratch out "sometimes" and put "nearly always" and i'll agree
Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

it seems blacks are more racist now, but saying that would be racist wouldn't it?haggard_korn

I keep hearing people say that but I never get any solid proof just overexacerations, generalising based on isolated events, and such.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#45 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

cashgee

Because it's not just one guy talking or being mean to another. I see it in the workplace all the time, which is a big deal.