Don't have a facebook .. is it worth it?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts

I never had a facebook page before, but was curious about starting one.

For those of you with one, is it worth it? Is it good or should I not bother? What are some reasons?

Nethrana465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nethrana465
Member since 2010 • 107 Posts

no, u can never leave, Im not joking they wont delete your profile if u wish to leave

SmashingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 SmashingX
Member since 2007 • 625 Posts

No it's a lame way to keep in touch with ur friends. Do you have a myspace? Have you jumped on twitter yet? Those are both pretty solid but facebook is crap IMO

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8770 Posts

I play Nethack on there. It's neat to see pics of players who've made it to the hall of fame. I'm up there. But I don't think I was even close to Ascending...

tim22000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tim22000
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts

facebook is ok, although the endless amount of pointless page and groups is really annoying. And I think its about time we should get to customise our profile.

oldmanriver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 oldmanriver1
Member since 2009 • 726 Posts

Yeah its worth it and its free. Even if you don't like it in the end there's no harm in getting it and at least trying it.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Not IMO -I am never on either myspace or facebook -I only signed up for them b/c my best friend made me..."you have to" "it is how everyone keeps in touch" "better than talking on the phone" (that was the one that got me) -signed up for myspace first...never used it...he said now everyone is on facebook... The only thing I use either for is hosting images If you are going to get one, get facebook -no effort needed to make it look nice (unlike myspace) -that is what most people use But, in all honesty, it is all just a bunch of stupid crap and people wanting to contact you after years of not talking -odds are if I did not care to get in touch with you over the last 5 years, there was probably a reason...
Oscar-Wilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Oscar-Wilde
Member since 2007 • 1675 Posts

If most or all of your friends are on it, sooner or later peer pressure will break you anyway so you might as well join now, my friends are basically computer illiterates troglodytes so I don't have to shame myself with social networking sites.

Notsogr8one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Notsogr8one
Member since 2004 • 3739 Posts

No it's a lame way to keep in touch with ur friends. Do you have a myspace? Have you jumped on twitter yet? Those are both pretty solid but facebook is crap IMO

SmashingX
:| I think the exact opposite. Myspace and Twitter are both terrible
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
If you have friends and enjoy socializing with them, most definitely.
Trinners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Trinners
Member since 2009 • 2537 Posts

It's really nothing special to be honest. Atfer 5 minutes you'll realize facebook and all social networking sites are a waste of time.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
yeah if you need to find people you would normally lose touch with
Sheena321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sheena321
Member since 2006 • 7489 Posts
I'm not really into it tbh. I only joined cos a couple of friends asked me, but I don't really see the point, cos I can just as easily talk to them on GS, msn, or by email. It's just another thing to have to check, which bugs me a little lol. I suppose it's ok for people that like to post loads of pics and stuff tho.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#14 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Big yes for me. If you dont have credit you can leave messages for people or vice versa. If you don't want to give out your email as well you can use it like an email service. You can use it for RSVP event feature too.
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
It depends, i only used to stalk some chicks i liked, but i closed it down ,it consumes much of your time
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#16 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts
You might as well go for it. Besides, it's free. Personally, I don't go on Facebook much anymore.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

But, in all honesty, it is all just a bunch of stupid crap and people wanting to contact you after years of not talking

-odds are if I did not care to get in touch with you over the last 5 years, there was probably a reason...rawsavon

Soooo true. :P

ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts

facebook is the devils plaything:)

Notsogr8one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Notsogr8one
Member since 2004 • 3739 Posts
But if you don't have a Facebook, how can you become a fan of Epic Beard Man???
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#20 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

Depends on your age and social status, IMO.

If I were in HS or college, then I'd definitely have a Facebook acct.And if I were single too. Facebook is definitely great networking for young people.

But for me, a 29yr old married man with a kid and a house, I have little use for Facebook. My wife has offered to set up a page for me, but I've declined. I doubt I'd use it much, if at all.

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
If you have friends to keep in touch with it is worth it. We organise a lot of stuff over facebook because its just easier.
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
Basically you don't get a choice of which social networking site you use (unless you don't know many people). For example, if I joined MySpace there would be no point, because nobody I know uses it. Facebook meanwhile I *had* to join because literally everyone has a Facebook account here, and I'd have no way to contact most people without it. Most people I know don't use MSN anymore either so I'm stuck with Facebook and use it every day, even though I don't like it.
rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
It's a great way to stay in touch, so yes.
RPG-er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RPG-er
Member since 2003 • 19301 Posts
seeing how it's free, the only way it's not worth it is cause you have no friends.
Atmanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Atmanix
Member since 2009 • 6927 Posts

I think it is a great service. I have many friends from back home and none of us are big on making phone calls to each other. Interacting on Facebook though has kept us pretty close over the years so that when we do see each other every few months we're mostly caught up on each other's lives.

I've disabled all of the games/applications and I keep my list of friends small. I've never had an issue with Facebook and I can't help but feel a lot of the hate for it is simply because it's popular.

To the TC, I'd say try it out. It's actually pretty cool.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

I like it. I've spoken to plenty of people I had lsot contact with and also it can be a easy way to socialize with some people.

Blitz_Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blitz_Nemesis
Member since 2005 • 8042 Posts
"is it worth it?" you make it soul like you have to pay a price. its a simple way to keep in touch with distant friends and family so why not? people here will tell you not to get it because they simply dont like to socialize.
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

geez, people that don't have one act like it's some life changing event, asking if it's worth it and all. don't worry about if it's worth it or not, if you want to make one, make one, and if you end up not liking it, delete your account, not that big of a deal.

ArmoredAshes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 ArmoredAshes
Member since 2005 • 4025 Posts

SmashingX

Twitter? really? haha all you do n there is tell people what you're doing...which you can already do on FB and myspace

thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 thequietguy
Member since 2008 • 2160 Posts

no, u can never leave, Im not joking they wont delete your profile if u wish to leave

Nethrana465
You can get your profile deleted. It's not impossible. I think you should get one. It has actually helped me at my social skills believe it or not. It's easier to say hi to people you don't really know. That way when you guys meet in real life (at school, I'm not talking about meeting complete strangers), you guys already knw each other and there's no awkward introduction. Plus you can keep in touch with friends, and it's wwaaaaaayyyyy more efficient than email.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
Yes. I waste a LOT of time on Facebook when I'm bored. Imo, Facebook is a lot nicer to use than Myspace tbh.
Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#32 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Facebook.

[spoiler] i wouldn't recommend it [/spoiler]

hiitsmeiggi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hiitsmeiggi
Member since 2010 • 191 Posts

I never had a facebook page before, but was curious about starting one.

For those of you with one, is it worth it? Is it good or should I not bother? What are some reasons?

juden41

Ive had one for a while and I think it's entirely worth it. It's a lot more organized than myspace in that it has networks that you join around your area. Its just another social networking website though, so if you're not into those I dont see the point.

If you dont like it, its not like you're trapped. You dont HAVE to use yours. So quit asking nerdy gamers and go find out yourself. :)

Nintendevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 Nintendevil
Member since 2007 • 6598 Posts

Couldn't hurt.

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts

If I were in HS or college, then I'd definitely have a Facebook acct.And if I were single too. Facebook is definitely great networking for young people.

But for me, a 29yr old married man with a kid and a house, I have little use for Facebook. My wife has offered to set up a page for me, but I've declined. I doubt I'd use it much, if at all.

LosDaddie

Ahh but see it depends on how you use it too. Besides the social aspect of it - it works fantastic in my line of work. I have people I work and deal with on there and I manage to get inside scopes and appointments through Facebook.

It's great if you are into interacting with your friends and its good to schedule events and invite people on there. I find it great to keep in touch with my friends and family who no longer live close to me.

And sometimes, such as my friend's recent engagement, its a fantastic way of telling all your friends at once - instead of calling or texting each and every one of them. Not everyone has unlimited phone plans.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#36 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I would say if you have a ton of friends you want to keep in touch with, do so, but if you're only wanting one because everyone else has one, it may not be worth it. I have one, but I rarely use it.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
There are a lot of people here who continually bash Facebook. Seriously, there's a new Facebook-hating thread every single day. The decision is up to you. If used correctly and appropriately, social networking can be a great tool. It can be a great way to meet new people, to stay in touch with people (after graduating from high school, graduating from college, moving, changing jobs, etc.). It's often abused and misused, though, and that's when you run into problems. If you're interested in keeping in touch and possibly meeting new people, then go for it.
Hali_Strikes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hali_Strikes
Member since 2009 • 183 Posts

Depends on how many friends you have the FB and if they use it or not. If you have lots of friends that will talk to you and comment and like your statuses then it's worth it, no friends or boring friends = boring facebook page.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#39 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

If you're interested in keeping in touch and possibly meeting new people, then go for it. t3hrubikscube

I got 4 girls aged 20-27 on my facebook profile who are single and looking, also got 2 friend requests from some random girls who don't even have any mutual friends with, who upon clicking on their names reveal they are single and looking for dating.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

It depends mostly on if you have a social network that actually uses it. If your friends don't use it (or use it properly), it's stupid. If they do use it then it's definately worth it.

howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

[QUOTE="LosDaddie"]

Sajedene

Ahh but see it depends on how you use it too. Besides the social aspect of it - it works fantastic in my line of work. I have people I work and deal with on there and I manage to get inside scopes and appointments through Facebook.

It's great if you are into interacting with your friends and its good to schedule events and invite people on there. I find it great to keep in touch with my friends and family who no longer live close to me.

And sometimes, such as my friend's recent engagement, its a fantastic way of telling all your friends at once - instead of calling or texting each and every one of them. Not everyone has unlimited phone plans.

Exactly this.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Its worth it for me. I'm in college and I use Facebook often to keep in touch with friends, especially friends that go to different Unis/colleges. A lot of events such as get togethers/parties are organized on Facebook.

Avatar image for FashionistState
FashionistState

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FashionistState
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Definitely not. IMHO, Facebook is only around to force people into procrastination. And don't get me started on Farmville. Whatever happened to people talking face to face, anyway? (Or even on the phone? >.>)
howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

Definitely not. IMHO, Facebook is only around to force people into procrastination. And don't get me started on Farmville. Whatever happened to people talking face to face, anyway? (Or even on the phone? >.>) FashionistState

No. Read Sajedene's post or the one above yours. Facebook has many very useful features. It's all up to the person on how they use it.

Meowmixxvi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#45 Meowmixxvi
Member since 2008 • 2243 Posts
i'f you have friends youd like[QUOTE="Blitz_Nemesis"]"is it worth it?" you make it soul like you have to pay a price. its a simple way to keep in touch with distant friends and family so why not? people here will tell you not to get it because they simply dont like to socialize.

jcole is fire! anyways, facebook is great.
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts

[QUOTE="FashionistState"]Definitely not. IMHO, Facebook is only around to force people into procrastination. And don't get me started on Farmville. Whatever happened to people talking face to face, anyway? (Or even on the phone? >.>) howlrunner13

No. Read Sajedene's post or the one above yours. Facebook has many very useful features. It's all up to the person on how they use it.

It's always an assumption that people who use Facebook don't interact with their friends in real life. Maybe certain people are like that - but not me. I see some of my friends everyday and still interact with them on facebook. Overkill? I think not. We're just that close :P
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

Definitely not. IMHO, Facebook is only around to force people into procrastination. And don't get me started on Farmville. Whatever happened to people talking face to face, anyway? (Or even on the phone? >.>) FashionistState
I see you're new hear, but this site is way worse as far as procrastination goes imo.

ContraQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ContraQueen
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

I think it's good to have. It's a good way to keep in touch with people and keeping track of events, especially if you're organizing one. You'll also get back in touch with a lot of people you used to know in school but lost contact with which I really like about it. It might be addictive at first but after awhile it becomes more mellowed.

bigfootstew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bigfootstew
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

It's pointless, just like all social networking. If you've fallen out of contact with someone, there was probably a good reason.

Also, if you ever break the law or apply for a job, you'd better not have anything compromising on your facebook. It's also a great way to make yourself a target for identity theft. I would prefer that nobody on the internet know who I am or anything about me.

jus2nyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jus2nyce
Member since 2005 • 1574 Posts

How else are you suppose to keep tabs on your ex-girlfriends?