Does xbox Live/Online PC games work in college dorms?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Red-Cell-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -Red-Cell-
Member since 2007 • 255 Posts

Is the connection in most dorms fast enough for games? Is Live blocked or anything?

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
The connection on my campus is usually like 20 Mpbs DOWN, and 10 Mpbs UP and you can use that stuff. Depends where you go, though.
Bruin4ev3r1520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bruin4ev3r1520
Member since 2005 • 8843 Posts
From what I've heard the quality of the connections on university campuses are insanely good.
Avatar image for UnrighteousFury
UnrighteousFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 UnrighteousFury
Member since 2008 • 2764 Posts

It works on my campus and the speeds are good, but the bandwidth cap makes people a little leery of doing anything too intense.

Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
Not the one I was in I had to get comcast but since I'm in an apartment now it's even more awesome
Major_Commie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Major_Commie
Member since 2009 • 186 Posts
most schools ive been to have great connections, usually better than my own.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Depends on the place, they can easily block the XBL ports.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Depends. Some universities block Xbox Live traffic. I'd imagine PC games have an easier time since it would be quite a task to block every PC game's connections. However console online connections are easily blocked and some colleges do choose to block them. That's rare, however.

As for campus connections being good, it is true that the connections are extremely good. However, that's because a university has thousands of people doing online activities simulatenously. I've noticed that (in dorms at least) your connection quality is entirely dependent on the time of day. For example, at my first dorm the internet was extremely slow during "prime time" (6-10 pm) when most kids were back in the dorms. You could forget gaming during that time too (I was still dabbling in WoW my first semester at college, and the ping for that game was 10000+ when I tried to connect from my drom). Keep in mind this was a dorm whose connection speed was several megabytes per second at the very beginning of the semester before most of the students had arrived. My other dorm experiences have been better, but generally speaking I get speeds no different than my cable connection at home. I can game fine with it, but it's nowhere near a godly speed like 10 MBPS.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts

Depends. Some universities block Xbox Live traffic. I'd imagine PC games have an easier time since it would be quite a task to block every PC game's connections. However console online connections are easily blocked and some colleges do choose to block them. That's rare, however.

As for campus connections being good, it is true that the connections are extremely good. However, that's because a university has thousands of people doing online activities simulatenously. I've noticed that (in dorms at least) your connection quality is entirely dependent on the time of day. For example, at my first dorm the internet was extremely slow during "prime time" (6-10 pm) when most kids were back in the dorms. You could forget gaming during that time too (I was still dabbling in WoW my first semester at college, and the ping for that game was 10000+ when I tried to connect from my drom). Keep in mind this was a dorm whose connection speed was several megabytes per second at the very beginning of the semester before most of the students had arrived. My other dorm experiences have been better, but generally speaking I get speeds no different than my cable connection at home. I can game fine with it, but it's nowhere near a godly speed like 10 MBPS.

gameguy6700
That's godly? My campus connection speed is 20 Mbps and time is never a factor...
meteorgun7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 meteorgun7
Member since 2003 • 25135 Posts

Depends on the campus. For me, I can go online with my PS3 and Xbox but only with an ethernet cable. The speed is insanely fast. I can download a movie and watch it right away in HD.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

Dark__Link

That's godly? My campus connection speed is 20 Mbps and time is never a factor...

Are we talking megabits or megabytes? Because I said 10MB not 10Mb. That said, 10MbPS is still 1.28MBPS which is pretty damn good considering the average in america is 500kBps. So you can see why I was saying 10MB is godly seeing as how it's 20x the average speed in America.

ttobba07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 ttobba07
Member since 2005 • 2396 Posts

If it is anything like my campus, u have to call and give the mac address of ur xbox then wait 20 minutes before u can play. Although it was worth it as my campus had 45MB down and 15MB up

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
My dorm comes with wifi do my PS3 works fine with it. I don't know about the 360.
Communistik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Communistik
Member since 2010 • 774 Posts
Yes, almost all campus connections are fine for that kind of thing. Most colleges have at least T1 internet everywhere. The one thing you do NOT want to do on your school's network, or in your dorm, is illegally download music/movies/games/software...you're about a hundred times more likely to get caught.
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
They generally have great connections. Download and Upload speeds tend to be much faster at night when people aren't using it. The ping is also good (I believe my brother's was ~2ms.