does god being male make women second class?

  • 70 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1750 posts) -

It seems that in order for one to follow a religion, the god at the helm has to have a sex, which is usually male. Does this make women inherently second class? Is it odd that females tend to be more religious than males considering that the god they believe in chose NOT to be female or even represent himself as sexless.

Did god make a suggestion about male superiority by being male himself?

It seems like the only logical conclusion, what do you people think?

most importantly:

- does following a male god make males superior?

- is it odd that people accept a male god as their creator as opposed to a female god?

#2 Posted by themajormayor (25797 posts) -

For one thing, males are superior CEOs.

#3 Posted by elkoldo (1118 posts) -

I ain't so sure god is male, cause I haven't seen his dick just yet.

#4 Posted by always_explicit (2914 posts) -

I think its odd that people accept god as their creator regardless of said gods gender...

#5 Posted by comp_atkins (31432 posts) -

the concept of gender makes no sense to a god. it's like having a pet turtle and someone asking you what color are it's wings.

#6 Posted by MrGeezer (56373 posts) -

It's clearly the other way around. God was modeled after people. And since civilization has historically mostly been run by men, the men writing the holy texts have modeled god after themselves. It says nothing about any actual gods that may exist, if anything it's just evidence of the misogyny that often runs so rampant.

#7 Posted by Diablo-B (4039 posts) -

Anyone who follows religion diligently is a second class citizen.

#8 Edited by Kevlar101 (6146 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that Gods' gender is never specified. I could be wrong though.

#9 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20860 posts) -

It takes a lot of balls to make the human race.

#10 Posted by TheFlush (5558 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

It's clearly the other way around. God was modeled after people. And since civilization has historically mostly been run by men, the men writing the holy texts have modeled god after themselves. It says nothing about any actual gods that may exist, if anything it's just evidence of the misogyny that often runs so rampant.

Exactly this.

#11 Edited by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

Step One: Prove God exists.

Step Two: Prove God is Male.

Step Three:????

Step Four: Profit

Are you skipping steps again TC?

#12 Posted by magicalclick (22696 posts) -

The false representation of God is defined by human, and it is often defined by a male human.

#13 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16767 posts) -

I look at God (the Judeo Christian idea of God) to be more just gender neutral and the term Him being used more as a way of not having to say God all the time. More figurative than literal. If God made humans in His image, that would mean females are included, so God would be part female.

Long story short, no, females are not inferior or whatever.

#14 Posted by alim298 (1422 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

the concept of gender makes no sense to a god. it's like having a pet turtle and someone asking you what color are it's wings.

#15 Posted by GreySeal9 (24359 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

I look at God (the Judeo Christian idea of God) to be more just gender neutral and the term Him being used more as a way of not having to say God all the time. More figurative than literal. If God made humans in His image, that would mean females are included, so God would be part female.

Long story short, no, females are not inferior or whatever.

With all due respect, I think Mr. Geezers explanation makes more sense. Holy texts are definitely a reflection of the society that created them.

#16 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16767 posts) -

@GreySeal9 said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

I look at God (the Judeo Christian idea of God) to be more just gender neutral and the term Him being used more as a way of not having to say God all the time. More figurative than literal. If God made humans in His image, that would mean females are included, so God would be part female.

Long story short, no, females are not inferior or whatever.

With all due respect, I think Mr. Geezers explanation makes more sense. Holy texts are definitely a reflection of the society that created them.

I meant to toss that part in, too. That another reason it says He is due to the time period.

#17 Edited by 4myAmuzumament (1750 posts) -
l@Kevlar101 said:

I'm pretty sure that Gods' gender is never specified. I could be wrong though.

Maybe so, but words like Father, His, and King suggest He, God, is male.

#18 Posted by Jankarcop (9538 posts) -

now the real question what is "gods" race? Black? Asian? arab?

#19 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

@4myAmuzumament said:
l@Kevlar101 said:

I'm pretty sure that Gods' gender is never specified. I could be wrong though.

Maybe so, but words like Father, His, and King suggest He, God, is male.

that's because there is no gender-neutral alternative to those words, and gender-neutral entities have traditionally been described as male in lieu of gender-neutral descriptors.

or it could be because his son, who is also somehow god himself (?) is male. or because if Mary is Jesus' mother, then God must be the father, naturally leading people to believe that he's male.

but how can a non-physical being have a wiener?

#20 Posted by -Rhett81- (3569 posts) -

"God" is only presented as male, simply because our human culture is a male-dominated society.

#21 Edited by foxhound_fox (88426 posts) -

Assuming a case where a "God" exists and it is "male", then it would presume that it doesn't stem from it being male, but from the proclamations made in it's holy books that say men should subjugate women as mere property to trade amongst themselves and not people as we here in the 21st century are used to appreciating.

The concept of a "male" monotheistic deity isn't common, as most are usually binary male/female or genderless. However, to me, "God" is merely a anthropomorphism of humanity, and each individual's perceptions of particular aspects about us (emotional or physical) that that person deems "moral" or something they should base their life around. My "God" is living my own life, and enjoying all it's pleasures, to it's fullest with respect to other people living their own lives. I am my own "God" and my making myself happy is my way of "worshiping God".

#22 Posted by supa_badman (16630 posts) -

i was under the impression, like angels, god was genderless

#23 Posted by michael_1234576 (8620 posts) -

God is in the radio

#24 Edited by Kevlar101 (6146 posts) -

@Sword-Demon said:

@4myAmuzumament said:
l@Kevlar101 said:

I'm pretty sure that Gods' gender is never specified. I could be wrong though.

Maybe so, but words like Father, His, and King suggest He, God, is male.

that's because there is no gender-neutral alternative to those words, and gender-neutral entities have traditionally been described as male in lieu of gender-neutral descriptors.

or it could be because his son, who is also somehow god himself (?) is male. or because if Mary is Jesus' mother, then God must be the father, naturally leading people to believe that he's male.

but how can a non-physical being have a wiener?

Actually, some languages do have gender-neutral terms for gender itself. The English language does not, it simply has his and her, nothing to differentiate something that is neither male nor female.

#25 Edited by thehig1 (2068 posts) -

Because Religion was invented while our species was still primitive and Women were not viewed as eqauls

#26 Edited by platinumking320 (666 posts) -

@4myAmuzumament: y'ever consider women are more religious because of all the stress they're put through?
also some pastors really know how to get them fired up, waiting on signs and blessings.

#27 Posted by Master_Live (14668 posts) -

Well, God doesn't exist, so there is that.

#28 Edited by lamprey263 (23973 posts) -

god does not have a sex since he doesn't reproduce

#29 Edited by PsychoLemons (2103 posts) -

Don't think so but the teachings of the religion however.....

#30 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

God could be anything depending on how a human beings want to perceive God.

#31 Edited by hippiesanta (9868 posts) -

why should an atheist bother to discuss this topic?

#32 Posted by GazaAli (22858 posts) -

Its faulty to attribute at least some of the human's characteristics to God and the concept of gender is one of them.

#33 Edited by Korvus (3853 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

god does not have a sex since he doesn't reproduce

You got here before me =) Why would God need a gender? What would he/she need it for?

#34 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3916 posts) -

absolutely

#35 Posted by Brain_Duster (404 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

absolutely

#36 Posted by plageus900 (1068 posts) -

Since when do we need a god to know that women are second class?

Oh shi-

#37 Edited by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

No, religion is a social construct and reflects sexism that already exists in society. They might have used it to justify and reinforce misogyny later down the line but religion can't really be blamed for "starting" sexism.

#38 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1750 posts) -

With women making strides in their push for equality, I feel the issue should be brought up. Questioning or clearing up the identity of god is progress.

#39 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

women pursue powerful males, god is the original alpha. Probably a black belt in BJJ, but has a strong background in boxing.

#40 Posted by GrayF0X786 (3853 posts) -

a basic reason as to why the name Allah is superior to "god"

#41 Posted by Teenaged (31746 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

It's clearly the other way around. God was modeled after people. And since civilization has historically mostly been run by men, the men writing the holy texts have modeled god after themselves. It says nothing about any actual gods that may exist, if anything it's just evidence of the misogyny that often runs so rampant.

Pretty much this.

#42 Edited by chaoscougar1 (36805 posts) -

@4myAmuzumament said:

It seems like the only logical conclusion, what do you people think?

lol

#43 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151104 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

the concept of gender makes no sense to a god. it's like having a pet turtle and someone asking you what color are it's wings.

Well said....

#44 Edited by LJS9502_basic (151104 posts) -

@GrayF0X786 said:

a basic reason as to why the name Allah is superior to "god"

It means One God.....it's the same thing....different language. smh

#45 Posted by toast_burner (21675 posts) -

@GrayF0X786 said:

a basic reason as to why the name Allah is superior to "god"

Are you trolling or do you know nothing about your own religion?

#46 Edited by alim298 (1422 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@GrayF0X786 said:

a basic reason as to why the name Allah is superior to "god"

It means One God.....it's the same thing....different language. smh

The world Allah is a feminine word. It consists of two parts "Al" and "Ilah" "Ilah" being the feminine part and "Al" meaning "The". It doesn't mean one God it means THE God. The one and only God to be more specific.

#47 Posted by alim298 (1422 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@GrayF0X786 said:

a basic reason as to why the name Allah is superior to "god"

Are you trolling or do you know nothing about your own religion?

LMAO is there anything you don't know better than anyone else?

#48 Posted by helwa1988 (2098 posts) -

Who said God has a gender?

#49 Posted by toast_burner (21675 posts) -

@alim298 said:

@toast_burner said:

@GrayF0X786 said:

a basic reason as to why the name Allah is superior to "god"

Are you trolling or do you know nothing about your own religion?

LMAO is there anything you don't know better than anyone else?

Quite a lot of things. People not knowing much about there own religion isn't uncommon. there are many Muslims who haven't read even a single page of the Quran.

#50 Posted by Raijinn_Aveux (7 posts) -

Men wrote the holy texts (not just the Bible).

You tell me why God is referred to as "Him" and "He."

Because Jewish men from a million years ago were so feminist.