Does college choice matter for the first 4 years?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by slipknot0129 (5491 posts) -

I think its kinda pointless for me to pick the best college in my first 4 years of college. I want to be a lawyer. I think it only matters after you get a bachelors degree what college you pick. Aim for the best college when I go to graduate school. That way I dont have to pay as much for college.

Do you think it matters?

#2 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151103 posts) -
Might matter to the law school....
#3 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (4060 posts) -

Depends. You better graduate with 3.8-4.0. If you want to be a lawyer you need to go to at least a top 25 graduate school and top schools will look at where you graduate and if you go to a not-so-famous school, like I said, you better have an almost perfect gpa.

#4 Posted by TehFuneral (8051 posts) -

It did matter to me.

The way I saw it, you should pick the best choice you think and not have any second thoughts about it.

#5 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

You should just pick the best school for you, because why wouldn't you?

#6 Posted by Star67 (3455 posts) -

The first two years of college really dont matter. So if you want to save money go to a community college for those years. Then transfer to a big state university that has a law program you like. Just make sure the community college and the state university are in the same state so transfering is easier.

#7 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (4060 posts) -

The first two years of college really dont matter. So if you want to save money go to a community college for those years. Then transfer to a big state university that has a law program you like. Just make sure the community college and the state university are in the same state so transfering is easier.

Star67

This is also a good idea.

#8 Posted by comp_atkins (31432 posts) -
judging by the sheer number of lawyers out there... no, it doesn't matter one bit. :P
#9 Posted by Pittfan666 (8532 posts) -
For a lawyer, doesn't it only matter what tier of graduate school that you get into following the bachelor degree?
#10 Posted by wii60_3 (2006 posts) -
What if you don't get into law school? Best to have a major from a college that excels in the program.
#11 Posted by slipknot0129 (5491 posts) -

Blueresident87

My professor said that where you get your bachelor degree from wont matter as much as where you get your graduate degree from. I think its true. People just assume you always have to pick the best. I think my professor is right.

#12 Posted by muller39 (14944 posts) -
Might matter to the law school....LJS9502_basic
#13 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15660 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

slipknot0129

My professor said that where you get your bachelor degree from wont matter as much as where you get your graduate degree from. I think its true. People just assume you always have to pick the best. I think my professor is right.

it depends on what the law school thinks of your first school. Does it matter when you get a graduate degree? Not really. But it is important to get into the law school
#14 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (4060 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

slipknot0129

Where you get any degree doesn't matter at all compared to wherever you got your latest degree, but graduate schools look at the school where you got your degree at and take that into consideration when admitting students.

#15 Posted by slipknot0129 (5491 posts) -

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Jolt_counter119

Where you get any degree doesn't matter at all compared to wherever you got your latest degree, but graduate schools look at the school where you got your degree at and take that into consideration when admitting students.

Im pretty good at analyzing the how the world works now. I think the smartest people think that they have to go to the better colleges. Therefore, there are less people from the lesser known colleges going to the top graduate schools. So its more of a public opinion that you have to go to a better college to get into the best graduate schools.

Plus in high school the teachers tell you all sorts of stuff about getting into colleges but leaving out major parts that could lead a person like me into the best graduate schools. I thought I had no chance in going to the best school in my state but I know I can now.

#16 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (4060 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]My professor said that where you get your bachelor degree from wont matter as much as where you get your graduate degree from. I think its true. People just assume you always have to pick the best. I think my professor is right.

slipknot0129

Im pretty good at analyzing the how the world works now. I think the smartest people think that they have to go to the better colleges. Therefore, there are less people from the lesser known colleges going to the top graduate schools. So its more of a public opinion that you have to go to a better college to get into the best graduate schools.

Plus in high school the teachers tell you all sorts of stuff about getting into colleges but leaving out major parts that could lead a person like me into the best graduate schools. I thought I had no chance in going to the best school in my state but I know I can now.

Are you read up on law school and the economy for attorneys. I think you've made a couple threads already and I am just going to be realistic and say find another career. First of all being a well off lawyer is extremely competitive and about half of graduates will be unemployed or underemployed and it's not even really about getting a undergraduate degree and what school you go to. Though what degree you get and what school you go to does matter you still need a top competitive level LSAT test. And law school is VERY expensive and the average debt load is crazy, like 90k.

Law scool is a damn risky investment.

#17 Posted by slipknot0129 (5491 posts) -

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

Jolt_counter119

Are you read up on law school and the economy for attorneys. I think you've made a couple threads already and I am just going to be realistic and say find another career. First of all being a well off lawyer is extremely competitive and about half of graduates will be unemployed or underemployed and it's not even really about getting a undergraduate degree and what school you go to. Though what degree you get and what school you go to does matter you still need a top competitive level LSAT test. And law school is VERY expensive and the average debt load is crazy, like 90k.

Law scool is a damn risky investment.

I'm not gonna be like most lawyers though. Im going to continue my education after law school to get into indian law and do whatever I can.

90k, I can pay that off easily being single, living with a roomate or parents, and living on the cheap.

#18 Posted by pie-junior (2845 posts) -
Why do you want to go to law school?
#19 Posted by slipknot0129 (5491 posts) -

Why do you want to go to law school?pie-junior
To be a lawyer.

#20 Posted by pie-junior (2845 posts) -
Why do you want to be a lawyer?
#21 Posted by POKE777GM (53 posts) -

It does matter, what's the differnce between you and hundreds of other lawyers?

It's the freaking law school.

#22 Posted by slipknot0129 (5491 posts) -

It does matter, what's the differnce between you and hundreds of other lawyers?

It's the freaking law school.

POKE777GM

I never said the law school didnt matter.

#23 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I'm really going to laugh in 4-5 years when you are posting a thread entitled: "Help! No law school will admit me because I had no idea that being desirable meant I had to strive to be the best!"
#24 Posted by slipknot0129 (5491 posts) -

I'm really going to laugh in 4-5 years when you are posting a thread entitled: "Help! No law school will admit me because I had no idea that being desirable meant I had to strive to be the best!"Zeviander
I'll remember this post.

#25 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Im pretty good at analyzing the how the world works now. I think the smartest people think that they have to go to the better colleges. slipknot0129
Dear lord, lol. A school's prestige and funding are directly related to the quality and intelligence of the professor and what they can teach the student. I had one professor in my fourth year of university, Doctorate in Sanskrit from Harvard and a Masters in something else from Columbia (and like, three other degrees as well), and he taught me more in a single, double-semester course than I learned from all my other courses in my field for the entire length of my degree (spent five years getting a three year degree). How my institution afforded him for even that one year, I don't know... but had I the opportunity to take a Graduate course in whatever he taught (it wouldn't matter), I would have taken it, no questions asked. You are damn f*cking wrong that prestigious schools don't matter. There is a reason why people pay big money to go to places like Harvard, Columbia, Oxford, Princeton, MIT, etc. They have the people with the greatest amount of knowledge in their respective fields on the payroll. When you say "I have a Doctorate in Sanskrit from Harvard University", people familiar with the name of the institution will know you got the best education money could buy, and those familiar with the field will know that Harvard has the world's LEADING Sanskrit scholar working for them (Robert Thurman, Uma Thurman's father, good friends with the XIV Dalai Lama).
#26 Posted by slipknot0129 (5491 posts) -

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]Im pretty good at analyzing the how the world works now. I think the smartest people think that they have to go to the better colleges. Zeviander
Dear lord, lol. A school's prestige and funding are directly related to the quality and intelligence of the professor and what they can teach the student. I had one professor in my fourth year of university, Doctorate in Sanskrit from Harvard and a Masters in something else from Columbia (and like, three other degrees as well), and he taught me more in a single, double-semester course than I learned from all my other courses in my field for the entire length of my degree (spent five years getting a three year degree). How my institution afforded him for even that one year, I don't know... but had I the opportunity to take a Graduate course in whatever he taught (it wouldn't matter), I would have taken it, no questions asked. You are damn f*cking wrong that prestigious schools don't matter. There is a reason why people pay big money to go to places like Harvard, Columbia, Oxford, Princeton, MIT, etc. They have the people with the greatest amount of knowledge in their respective fields on the payroll. When you say "I have a Doctorate in Sanskrit from Harvard University", people familiar with the name of the institution will know you got the best education money could buy, and those familiar with the field will know that Harvard has the world's LEADING Sanskrit scholar working for them (Robert Thurman, Uma Thurman's father, good friends with the XIV Dalai Lama).

Those first 4 years dont matter, as long as you do good. Its at graduate schools that matters what college you choose.

You can get into Harvard if you go to a lesser known university. I'm most likely gonna go to the college thats half as expensive, as I think I have the same chance of getting into the law school I want to.

#27 Posted by wellbigd (240 posts) -

It dosen't matter as an aspiring lawyer myself, the most important things are gpa's and LSAT scores.

#28 Posted by BossPerson (9469 posts) -

I'd say no. Undergraduate studies barely scratch the surface of your field, the material wont vary too much from school to school. For grad school, however, especially law school, the university you go is highly important.

#29 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Those first 4 years dont matter, as long as you do good. Its at graduate schools that matters what college you choose.slipknot0129
Good luck. That's all I have to say.
#30 Posted by jointed (16719 posts) -
In the long run it doesn't matter, but your path is made a whole lot easier with a good college. Since Law is so easy to study, it means that you'll have to compete with a truck load of other "lawyers".
#31 Posted by Suzy_Q_Kazoo (9901 posts) -

Edit: Oh, I really misread this. If you go to graduate school then yes, where you got your undergrad doesn't matter very much in comparison.

#32 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

What kind of lawyer do you want to be? There are criminal lawyers, corporate attorneys, and then patent attorneys.

I had the same aspiration back then (but maybe not the same drive like you). That said, you need to be competitive and to be the best of the best. Not only do you need to work out but you need to be the epitome of a "superhuman." In other words, a perception that you're incredibly smart and brilliant. I guess I'm exaggerating here but law is competitive and while it does pay well, you'll be competing with others so keep that in mind.

As for the type of undergrad school, I don't know if that really matters. As long as it's accredited and academically beneficial, then that's good. Just be active in your school like participating in debates, join some clubs (especially political), and make friends with your professors. As for grad school (law school in particular), it's going to be an investment. In other words, if you're not strapped for cash, make sure you know what you're getting into. As a previous poster stated, debt is a major problem and, as I stated before, law is competitive and there's too many attorneys at the moment. As for the type of law school, I guess it matters due to the competitive nature of law.

I'm not trying to scare you or anything, it's what I know. You can probably get a more experienced and professional opinion from a professor or a teacher with the same or similar experience. My only experience is that I thought about law and researched it myself. If you're concerned about money, attend community college and be active there as well. Apply to many scholarships as you can. Internships can be beneficial as well (although it may not be paid internships, the experience gained can be an asset when looking for a job).