Does blood = closeness?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -

my father is under the impression that family takes priority over everything, even the family you've never met before. for me, if i haven't met them and grown to like them, they're just like an ordinary stranger in my book.

do you believe that just because someone is blood related that they should be close to you?

what say you, OT?

#2 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Family does take priority over everything (immediate family that is). It's not even close.

#3 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -
your immediate (i assume blood related) family takes priority only because you've known them all your life. lets say you met them when you were 18, would they take priority then?
#4 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

your immediate (i assume blood related) family takes priority only because you've known them all your life. lets say you met them when you were 18, would they take priority then?mrmusicman247
Yes unless I had a bad relationship with them.

#5 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

No I just feel towards them like I do any other person - if I see them on a somewhat regular basis then I feel like they're my friends, if I don't then they're regular strangers just like anybody else. I make somewhat of an effort to talk to them and stuff because it's expected, but I don't feel any bond at all.

#6 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]your immediate (i assume blood related) family takes priority only because you've known them all your life. lets say you met them when you were 18, would they take priority then?Pirate700

i don't understand that. why?
#7 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]your immediate (i assume blood related) family takes priority only because you've known them all your life. lets say you met them when you were 18, would they take priority then?mrmusicman247

i don't understand that. why?

Because they're your family. I may not be a good person to ask though as I'm very close to my immediate family. My dad and brother are two of my best friends.

#8 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -
so? if they didn't say anything, you'd treat them like normal people, yet as soon as they say they're your family, you're ready to take priority?
#9 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

so? if they didn't say anything, you'd treat them like normal people, yet as soon as they say they're your family, you're ready to take priority?mrmusicman247
I added to my post.

#10 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152404 posts) -

Family does take priority over everything (immediate family that is). It's not even close.

Pirate700
This
#11 Posted by Sword-Demon (7001 posts) -
the family that raised you and you grew up with (blood related or not) is top priority. family that you haven't met has an increased priority over that of a stranger, but is nowhere near top priority.
#12 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

Absolutely not.

#13 Posted by Cyanide4Suicid3 (733 posts) -
My immediate family comes first. Whether it would be my mother, my brother, my son, or my grandfather. Immediate family comes first. If Ive never met them, then whatever. I dont count them as family lol
#14 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

If there's one lesson I've taken from my relatives over the years it's that blood doesn't mean sh*t.

#15 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17541 posts) -

I don't know about other people's families here. But, I can count on my family and relatives to back me up and take care if me if something bad happens to me. So, yeah.

#16 Posted by BenedictArnold7 (743 posts) -
I feel that I love my mother and brother, but I couldn't care less about the rest of my family. With the exception of my father... I am confused about how I feel about him. I love my best friend, and I would chose him over my other family members in a heart beat.
#17 Posted by BenedictArnold7 (743 posts) -

ALSO... people who had good and supportive families don't seem to understand that not everyone had that. It is very possible to despise your family if they were terrible to you. It all depends on who you are. Sometimes you can still love your family even if they sucked, but sometimes people don't.

#18 Posted by TehFuneral (8083 posts) -

In my family it is.

Even the ones you don't know but you carry the same family name, because in the end you're working your way up to continue on carrying this family name and building on its legacy while in the meantime enjoying the respect the community give you because of your forefathers.

My family name is on hotels, enterprises & companies, etc.. but even though I know the people who own and founded those enterprises Im not in any direct line to inherit any of those and my father is not exactly a billionare. I live my life like any regular guy.

In the end, my family, even the extened part of them whom I never met, wants me to succeed in life.

#19 Posted by NiKva (8180 posts) -
Sort of. I'm only close with my immediate family and grandparents. The rest of my family is step family and I don't feel close to them at all.
#20 Posted by Swanogt19 (24159 posts) -
No.
#21 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -
i just can't feel that way. there are plenty of family members in my family. A LOT whom i haven't met. i just don't see how being blood related is supposed instantly make us close. it's more like having something in common. just because you have something in common with someone doesn't make you close.
#22 Posted by rocinante_ (1772 posts) -

"family is not what it should be but what it could be"

#23 Posted by Dylan_11 (11293 posts) -
Only your immediate family.
#24 Posted by MrPraline (21331 posts) -
Only the immediate family. "Blood" itself means nothing. This is not the mafia, the royal family or the illuminati.
#25 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

Only your immediate family.Dylan_11

Not necessarily.

#26 Posted by Dylan_11 (11293 posts) -

[QUOTE="Dylan_11"]Only your immediate family.worlock77

Not necessarily.

Unless your mom is a crack whore and your dad beats you.
#27 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24351 posts) -

Pirate700

The opposite of this.

#28 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Dylan_11"]Only your immediate family.Dylan_11

Not necessarily.

What about siblings who steal from you?

#29 Posted by CycleOfViolence (2813 posts) -

In most cases, absolutely.

However, you don't get a free pass just because you are related to me if you aren't going to reciprocate any efforts I make to stay in touch.

#30 Posted by applesxc47 (10761 posts) -

I don't think it does. I'm closer to my friends than any member of my family.

#31 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6869 posts) -
I used to believe that it does, but nowadays, nope. They might be family, but if I don't have a close relationship with them, then I'd certainly give my friends the absolute priority. I have friends who are as close to me as my immediate family. Just because you might be some distant relative of mine doesn't mean I'm going to go out of my way for you without even knowing you.
#32 Posted by Dylan_11 (11293 posts) -

[QUOTE="Dylan_11"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

Not necessarily.

worlock77

Depends how big the theft is.
#33 Posted by katana_duo (1751 posts) -
My immediate family (my mom and dad, and sisters) take priority over everything, my aunts and uncles etc come second.
#34 Posted by almasdeathchild (8922 posts) -

I used to believe that it does, but nowadays, nope. They might be family, but if I don't have a close relationship with them, then I'd certainly give my friends the absolute priority. I have friends who are as close to me as my immediate family. Just because you might be some distant relative of mine doesn't mean I'm going to go out of my way for you without even knowing you.Shottayouth13-

#35 Posted by MirkoS77 (8378 posts) -
I don't think blood constitutes family at all just as I don't think someone I see on the street that has my exact hair color is family. Just because we share genetic similarities we should care? Hell, everyone in the world is family by that reasoning, and I honestly couldn't give a sh!t less towards 99.9% of them. No, family is relation. I don't care if they're immediate, if there's no relation, they are not what I consider family. Pretty much all of my three siblings are strangers to me and I feel no regret saying as much.
#36 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -

If there's one lesson I've taken from my relatives over the years it's that blood doesn't mean sh*t.

worlock77
#37 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Dylan_11"]Unless your mom is a crack whore and your dad beats you.Dylan_11

$99 is acceptable, but $100 = "you are dead to me"?

#38 Posted by Dylan_11 (11293 posts) -

[QUOTE="Dylan_11"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

$99 is acceptable, but $100 = "you are dead to me"?

I can agree with this.