Does anyone here consider themselves very smart, but

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by outworld222 (2543 posts) -

has no concentration?? I am one of those. I can't sit on a chair and start to do the activities that are required of me to make me a better person.

It's really hard to concentrate for me these days. I am generally a happy person. Can anyone with any experience give some advice??

#2 Posted by Brain_Duster (473 posts) -

I guess.

#3 Edited by Brain_Duster (473 posts) -

As smart as the, at least.

#4 Posted by outworld222 (2543 posts) -

@Brain_Duster said:

I guess.

I know!! But it's so frustrating!!! Gaaah *rips a piece of paper in half*

#5 Posted by Makhaidos (2162 posts) -

Rather than not concentrate on anything, I tend to concentrate really hard on one thing, to the extent that I forget the rest of the world exists.

#6 Posted by plageus900 (1460 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

Rather than not concentrate on anything, I tend to concentrate really hard on one thing, to the extent that I forget the rest of the world exists.

This and it drives my wife crazy. I have selective hearing and if I'm focused on something, I wont hear a damn word that comes out of her mouth. It sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher when she is speaking. :D

#7 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1791 posts) -

@outworld222: Find something you're REALLY interested in and get smarter at it. Maybe you're just bored with everything that's been presented to you.

#8 Edited by Iszdope (11908 posts) -

Oh look...a puppy!

#9 Posted by hydralisk86 (8650 posts) -

@outworld222 said:

has no concentration?? I am one of those. I can't sit on a chair and start to do the activities that are required of me to make me a better person.

It's really hard to concentrate for me these days. I am generally a happy person. Can anyone with any experience give some advice??

It sounds like you might have ADD. I'm no psychologist, but yeah.

#10 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (467 posts) -

#11 Posted by lostrib (44531 posts) -

Well I really just procrastinate a lot. It's more of a desire not to do shit, rather than an inability to

#12 Posted by MrGeezer (57264 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Well I really just procrastinate a lot. It's more of a desire not to do shit, rather than an inability to

I've always had a big problem with that. It'd be one thing if it was stuff that I really didn't have to do at all, but I procrastinate on stuff that I know I'm gonna have to do anyway. I've gotten better about it, but it's still a problem and it pisses me off. Why do I do that to myself? I've surely had enough experience to know two things: hard tasks just get harder when you procrastinate, and getting started is usually the hardest part. If I simply got started early and then left ample time to do the rest, then things would be SO much easier.

#13 Edited by always_explicit (3135 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@lostrib said:

I've always had a big problem with that. It'd be one thing if it was stuff that I really didn't have to do at all, but I procrastinate on stuff that I know I'm gonna have to do anyway. I've gotten better about it, but it's still a problem and it pisses me off. Why do I do that to myself? I've surely had enough experience to know two things: hard tasks just get harder when you procrastinate, and getting started is usually the hardest part. If I simply got started early and then left ample time to do the rest, then things would be SO much easier.

If it makes you feel any better I have realised through the course of my life a lot of these hard tasks are just not that important in the grand scheme of things haha. Thats totally the wrong attitude but its perfectly possible to stumble through life with average intelligence and average effort and be just fine. You could stumble along in average mode until your sick enough of being average that you kick yourself up the ass.

No magic number of people telling you to do shit is going to motivate you. It'll happen one day, be it through choice, necessity, a family, financial needs etc. Just relax and enjoy the simple things in life. You wont miss these hard tasks when your on deaths door. You might regret giving yourself a hard time about it for years.

#14 Posted by ShadowsDemon (9550 posts) -

Yep.

It's called ADHD.

#15 Edited by playmynutz (6406 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon said:

Yep.

It's called ADHD.

Sure isn't called smart :P

#16 Posted by ShadowsDemon (9550 posts) -

@playmynutz said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

Yep.

It's called ADHD.

A lot of ADHD-positive people are generally brighter than not..

#17 Edited by playmynutz (6406 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon said:

@playmynutz said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

Yep.

It's called ADHD.

A lot of ADHD-positive people are generally brighter than not..

Genius

#18 Edited by Trail_Mix (2579 posts) -

What were we talking about again?

#19 Posted by luke1889 (14617 posts) -

Once I knuckle down, I have no issues with concentration. Self discipline and motivation are key, I guess.