Does anyone else notice that the "discovery channel...?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 crazyguy111
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

Does anyone else notice that the " discovery channel" has changed?

When I was young I remember when they used to have shark week, shows about supernatural events, shows that discuss the accuracy of the bible and had shows about space and science. Now all they have are rednecks selling their cars or red necks trying to find gold, or naked people in the jungle or some other stupid **** like that. Any one notice this?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Just like the History Channel.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59056 Posts

CI (criminal investigation) is my new drug. Even that's started pandering with Judge Judy.

I imagine it's kinda like games in which a marketing dickhead in a suit wants accessibility for customers.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38682 Posts

fucking TLC turned into the goddam freak show channel. it used to be really interesting.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6  Edited By whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I think they still have Shark Week, but it's only one week (I think late August).

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

Yeah, I dropped cable because the handful of channels I used to watch (Comedy Central, Discovery, History, TLC, ESPN) have changed to the point of being unrecognizable.

I remember watching the same episode of SportsCenter over and over during the morning in college (late 90s)...you know, back when SC was funny. Now I can't remember the last time I could sit through an entire episode. I get it...the NFL is popular...but it doesn't need to be discussed all year long. ESPN just beats you over the head with a subject to the point where you lose all interest in it. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and familiarity breeds contempt.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

TV has changed, not just one channel.

They still have Shark Week every year.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17861 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

Yeah, I dropped cable because the handful of channels I used to watch (Comedy Central, Discovery, History, TLC,)

Same. What I need to see on live TV (news and, well, I usually get that from the net anyway...every once and again I'll watch a late night talk show or SNL but not usually) I can get over a set of rabbit ears. I get 19 channels over that little antenna. For the amount of actual TV I watch, that's plenty.

Everything else is Netflix and Vudu. $9 a month for Netflix and a few bucks to rent a movie from Vudu (occasionally they'll have something good for their 99-cent movie of the day, rented Saving Private Ryan last week for 99 cents) and **** cable.

I've noticed when I'm at my parents house browsing the channel guide that most stations show a couple of movies on Sunday and then replay them at various times throughout the week between the non-scripted crap. Pass.

I do miss the old Discovery and TLC, though. Ancient History Tuesdays on TLC was something I'd cancel plans for.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#10 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

History and Discovery have both gone so far downhill that it's pathetic. Only Pawn Stars is worth watching on History, and I would say Mythbusters on Discovery, but I haven't watched it in forever and I've heard it's actually gotten pretty bad.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Shark Week is coming up next week. Most of the real history shows are now at H2, The Smithsonian Channel, and AHC (formerly The Military Channel).

Basically, they moved from basic cable to the more premium subscriptions.

Air Aces, for example, is coming up tonight at AHC with the RAF's Douglas Bader the featured ace.