Does anybody here play any musical instruments?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

Lately I am kind of wanting to learn to play guitar. Looks like a nice and rewarding thing to do. Wondering how long it takes to get decent at. All those hours spent on video games, most of which were forgettable and crappy, I could have mastered a musical instrument by now.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I play guitar.

The thing is, it's all about muscle memory. So yeah, lots of practice. If you're watching TV, strum your guitar. If you're on the phone, strum your guitar. You gotta learn instinctively where the strings are and where you finger placement should be. If you have to think about it, you're still learning.

It's a pain in the ass at first, and your fingers WILL kill you until you build up some calluses.

Also, don't go straight for learning chords: start with your scales. Forwards and backwards. This will teach you both how to pick individual strings as well as finger placement.

Further down the line, if you really want to learn the instrument, learn some classical guitar.

Start on an acoustic, not electric.

Don't expect results overnight. It took me over 6 months to be able to chord and strum properly without having to watch my fret hand. It took me a couple of years to become what I'd consider proficient. Some people learn faster, some slower. Just stick with it.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

I play alot of musical instruments

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Guitar is hard as hell. Have not been able to get it down yet granted I haven't put in a lot of consistent practice...

I am a decently proficient drummer though. Really just need to work on learning double bass and how to memorize songs better.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PS4hasNOgames

@br0kenrabbit said:

I play guitar.

The thing is, it's all about muscle memory. So yeah, lots of practice. If you're watching TV, strum your guitar. If you're on the phone, strum your guitar. You gotta learn instinctively where the strings are and where you finger placement should be. If you have to think about it, you're still learning.

It's a pain in the ass at first, and your fingers WILL kill you until you build up some calluses.

Also, don't go straight for learning chords: start with your scales. Forwards and backwards. This will teach you both how to pick individual strings as well as finger placement.

Further down the line, if you really want to learn the instrument, learn some classical guitar.

Start on an acoustic, not electric.

Don't expect results overnight. It took me over 6 months to be able to chord and strum properly without having to watch my fret hand. It took me a couple of years to become what I'd consider proficient. Some people learn faster, some slower. Just stick with it.

My friend learned on an electric, he said it wasn't much different from acoustic...he just plugged it into his phone and put on headphones and learned just the basics on it.

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

I play with my organ

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

My friend learned on an electric, he said it wasn't much different from acoustic...he just plugged it into his phone and put on headphones and learned just the basics on it.

An electric is more complicated for a variety of reasons.

The second and fourth strings above aren't going to register with the left-most pickup because the pickup is over the node (minimal movement). (The red above indicates 'out of phase' which means the string is moving in the opposite direction). You can shift which pickups are on/off with the switch, but this changes the registered sound. You won't get a clean chord on an electric like you will an acoustic.

If you're actually going to learn some theory while you learn to play, you really should go for the acoustic.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@Kage1 said:

I play with my organ

Organ is the best instrument

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#10 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

Lately I am kind of wanting to learn to play guitar. Looks like a nice and rewarding thing to do. Wondering how long it takes to get decent at. All those hours spent on video games, most of which were forgettable and crappy, I could have mastered a musical instrument by now.

I play piano and I'm going to buy a bass and launch head on. I used to play guitar as a kid but I was never too fond of it. I was able to do proper chords in about 3 weeks but that was because I practiced them a lot, some people will take longer. I never considered myself to be a profficient guitarrist, even an OK one.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts

I play the double bass.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#13 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I play the harp. My wife plays the harp, guitar, hammered dulcimer and now starting on frame drum just so that she plays something other than strings =P

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PS4hasNOgames

@br0kenrabbit said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

The second and fourth strings above aren't going to register with the left-most pickup because the pickup is over the node (minimal movement). (The red above indicates 'out of phase' which means the string is moving in the opposite direction). You can shift which pickups are on/off with the switch, but this changes the registered sound. You won't get a clean chord on an electric like you will an acoustic.

If you're actually going to learn some theory while you learn to play, you really should go for the acoustic.

Ah, I see. I guess a cheap acoustic is good for now to learn on. Thanks

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I studied music in college. Was in the singing program, but i'm a piano player.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#16  Edited By lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Ah, I see. I guess a cheap acoustic is good for now to learn on. Thanks

If you're going for an acoustic, make sure they have an irregular shape on the lower part of the bridge, right next to the box, this is to help you play the last frets.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I've been playing piano for about a year. Not very good at it (still learning basic finger technique, terminology, scales) but it's a work in progress. I find playing music is fairly easy, it's simply a matter of repetition and muscle memory. What's difficult is bringing the human touch into it so it doesn't sound like a clunky machine is just doing the motions. I never knew how important subtlety and humanism is to music until I began playing. It's a bitch.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 JyePhye
Member since 2004 • 6173 Posts

I wish :(