Does anybody here live in a really rough neighborhood?

#1 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (2543 posts) -

A friend of the family recently moved to a historically rough part of the city where theres an average of 10-20 homicides a year. He did this because the houses are relatively cheap and the area is kind of starting to be "gentrified" but still makes me wonder if its worth it. Anyways would anybody here be willing to make the move or lives in a "ghetto" or rough part of town?

#2 Posted by helwa1988 (2134 posts) -

Having lived in ghetto as a kid for about 2 years. i would say no. living in the ghetto is no joke.

#3 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8623 posts) -

Nope my neighborhood is very quite and friendly everyone says hi and waves. Worst thing I can think of is the neighbors dog sometimes runs inside my house after my dogs when I open the door and they chase each other all over. Lol

#4 Edited by Renevent42 (5898 posts) -

I've lived in both a trailer in a poor area, as well as a pretty damn rough part of town in what most would consider a "ghetto". Personally given the choice between the two, living poor in a trailer is better then being in some apartment in the ghetto. It's not safe, the people there are not friendly, and I always felt I had to look over my shoulder. you get harrassed just walking down the street and it's really hard to see all the crazy crap going down. Living "poor white trash style" isn't a pick-nick either, drugs are a problem but I never felt unsafe and I think it was easier for kids to still be kids. Ghetto living is no joke.

#5 Edited by watchdogsrules (518 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames: yeah for about 3 years but now i live in a neighborhood where you can walk your dog at 10:00 PM at night and i've actually seen someone do that before multiple times. plus random people say hi and wave when you drive by. i've been living here for between 3-5 years now and i've still haven't gotten use to that.

#6 Edited by The_Last_Ride (75402 posts) -

Doesn't look like it

#7 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2543 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

Doesn't look like it

you know I never been to the country, I'm born and raised in a big city. i just can't picture not seeing a soul for miles. and having to drive 30 minutes to the nearest stores.

#8 Posted by PsychoLemons (2536 posts) -

Nope, my area is actually quite quiet.

#9 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2543 posts) -

@Renevent42 said:

I've lived in both a trailer in a poor area, as well as a pretty damn rough part of town in what most would consider a "ghetto". Personally given the choice between the two, living poor in a trailer is better then being in some apartment in the ghetto. It's not safe, the people there are not friendly, and I always felt I had to look over my shoulder. you get harrassed just walking down the street and it's really hard to see all the crazy crap going down. Living "poor white trash style" isn't a pick-nick either, drugs are a problem but I never felt unsafe and I think it was easier for kids to still be kids. Ghetto living is no joke.

harassed? what do you mean?

#10 Posted by Shmiity (5392 posts) -

Not at all. My first town had 3 murders total in 30 years. The town I live in now? 3 of my neighbors are farmers and there is no highway. I live a pretty quiet life.

#11 Edited by BranKetra (50385 posts) -

@Renevent42: For a ghetto to be considered a residence of anyone except one race is very disturbing.

#12 Edited by PSP107 (12564 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

A friend of the family recently moved to a historically rough part of the city where theres an average of 10-20 homicides a year. He did this because the houses are relatively cheap and the area is kind of starting to be "gentrified" but still makes me wonder if its worth it. Anyways would anybody here be willing to make the move or lives in a "ghetto" or rough part of town?

#13 Posted by magicalclick (24470 posts) -

No, my city is so safe, the police has no homicide to solve. So all they do is sitting right next to a stop sign and making sure everyone makes a complete full stop in a small street with no traffic.

#14 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2543 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@Renevent42: For a ghetto to be considered a residence of anyone except one race is very disturbing.

I've seen white ghettos, black ghettos, mexican ghettos....even jewish ghettos.

#15 Edited by PSP107 (12564 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@BranKetra said:

#16 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2543 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@BranKetra said:

whats so funny?

#17 Edited by BranKetra (50385 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@BranKetra said:

I was referring to the description of ghettos by Renevent42. I am aware of those with low income being a variety of ethnicities.

#18 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

I live in one of safest cities in the state, so my neighborhood is pretty calm. The only criminal troubles we have to worry about constantly is burglars and home invasions, as they are the most common across the city (it happen to one of my neighbors).

#19 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8623 posts) -

The town I grew up in had a population of about 1000 in 2000 census now it's closer to 900 in latest. There was no major crime and maybe a minor theft here and there growing up. The neighborhood was pretty much entirely homeowners mostly older people.

Lately since a lot of those older people passed their houses have been sold some turned into rentals it seems to have brought a lot more theft. My parents had their garage broken into for the first time in the 35 years they lived there.

#21 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2543 posts) -

@roulettethedog said:

I lived in the ghetto for one year and it felt like jail. You do not want to go out after sun set, drug dealers and their customers are all around you, and if your car is not locked up, you will lose everything even stuff you may consider junk.

may I ask where? like what city

#22 Posted by lamprey263 (26429 posts) -

it's pretty safe, but that didn't stop the cops from shooting an unarmed man just down the street while he had his hands up and complying with officers' orders

#23 Edited by Gaming-Planet (14813 posts) -

When I was younger, I did. So many stabbings and killings of teenagers. Where I live now hardly has any crime, unless I go down east then it's ghetto.

#24 Edited by Renevent42 (5898 posts) -
@BranKetra said:

And where exactly did I say or imply that? The only thing I mentioned about race was the trailer part (poor white trash style), and even then, it was only a phrase since, you know, black people live in the country too.

You need to keep that race card in check...it's seriously clouding your judgement.

#25 Posted by Korvus (9276 posts) -

Nope...and I don't think I have ever even seen a bad neighborhood...grew up in Portugal and now live in the Netherlands and yes, I've seen poor neighborhoods, neighborhoods with drug problems but never a neighborhood where you'd be afraid of walking the streets.

#26 Posted by MrFreehuggs (178 posts) -

I live in a really shitty part of Canton. I'm pretty sure we've managed to bump Chicago and Baltimore for top spot in Murder per Capita in the past. My wife and I bought our house when I was 19, delivering pizzas so we had to get something cheap. Our part of the neighborhood has really improved over the years but we're just blocks away from an area you can not wall.

Since our mortgage is so low, our cost of living is a fourth of our total pay. We've been able to rack up our savings and should actually be able to put a 50% down payment for our next house. It's been worth it for us

#27 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (1085 posts) -

I don't live in the ghetto but live in a big city; San Francisco. I live on a very famous and long street called The Mission and the part I live in is pretty busy during the day so, I live around a bunch of families and businessmen. There are 2 major bus stops near my apartment and they are always full until nighttime. At night it's pretty quiet but you get some sketchy looking characters walking around and hanging at the bus stops. Shootings have taken place a block away from here, 3 blocks away from here and a couple more miles down the road.

#28 Posted by PSP107 (12564 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@PSP107 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@BranKetra said:

whats so funny?

Your curiosity of ghetto life.

#29 Posted by LJS9502_basic (153497 posts) -

No I don't.

#30 Posted by comp_atkins (32233 posts) -

nope. lived the middle-class white guy life since birth

#31 Posted by Blueresident87 (5384 posts) -

Not anymore.

#32 Posted by tocool340 (20680 posts) -

I lived in the rough parts of Chicago for over 21 years of my life and still living in it. I definitely don't think its worth it, but I don't have the funds to go anywhere else so here I am...

#33 Posted by Aljosa23 (26395 posts) -

For the first few years of my life yes. Glad I don't remember any of that.

#35 Posted by SUD123456 (4552 posts) -

My neighbourhood is brutal. Seems like every week somebody has gotten a new Porsche, Mercedes or Lambo. Keeping up with the Jones' is exhausting and rough on the wallet.

#36 Posted by BranKetra (50385 posts) -
@Renevent42 said:
@BranKetra said:

And where exactly did I say or imply that? The only thing I mentioned about race was the trailer part (poor white trash style), and even then, it was only a phrase since, you know, black people live in the country too.

You need to keep that race card in check...it's seriously clouding your judgement.

You say I need to keep my supposed race card in check, but you said the following:

@Renevent42 said:

You cannot blame other people for the way you write. Besides, I do not need an agenda with a defensive mindset to see what you wrote. The responsibility of how a message is received belongs to the speaker much more than the audience. As you now know, what you said was provocative. Only now is there clarity.

#37 Edited by Renevent42 (5898 posts) -

@BranKetra: I saw what I wrote, I said nothing to what you implied. I am also not responsible for your own personal interpretation or prejudice. That's a personal problem on your end.

If you want clarification on something I'm happy to oblige, but I am not responsible for you taking things a certain way when I didn't imply it.

Btw, that ghetto was primarily Spanish and white (south Florida). Keep your prejudice to yourself next time.

#38 Posted by BranKetra (50385 posts) -

I am not prejudiced and there is a distinct absence of evidence for anything like that. Have a nice day.

#39 Posted by chessmaster1989 (30067 posts) -

Nah. I've lived close to some bad areas (was in Hyde Park Chicago for a few years), but never in them.

#40 Posted by PSP107 (12564 posts) -

@tocool340 said:

I lived in the rough parts of Chicago for over 21 years of my life and still living in it. I definitely don't think its worth it, but I don't have the funds to go anywhere else so here I am...

What part of Chicago you live in?

#41 Posted by tocool340 (20680 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@tocool340 said:

What part of Chicago you live in?

Right now, South Side. But I live most of my life around Garfield Park on the west side of Chicago...

#42 Edited by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -

Chicago- The future of America.

#43 Posted by Master_Live (16099 posts) -

I live 30 seconds (by car) away from what I guess you call a "ghetto". It is rough.