Does a college degree correlate with getting a job?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LegitGamer3212
Member since 2008 • 1619 Posts

The economy is not very good now and a bachelor's degree is sort of like a high school diploma. For every 1 job available there are 10 job seekers. When you're young parents and society tells you that going to college will guarantee you a successful life making tons of money. I'm graduating in 3 months, September, for an average private college in Manhattan with a bachelor's. I'll be looking for a job to pay back my loans. Do you think a degree will really get you a job? does it help a little? or not at all. Is it just about learning a trade?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Not any more. Employers in this crap economy care about experience now, not education (as far as 4 year degree jobs go). That's why so many college grads have been unemployed for years now or are stocking shelves if they're lucky.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
It depends what you did during college..... If you networked properly and got connections to companies who are hiring I would say yes. If you just expected to magically be given a job because you now poses a piece of paper, not really It also depends on your major and the college you attended
THEGoD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 THEGoD1
Member since 2009 • 741 Posts

Not any more. Employers in this crap economy care about experience now, not education (as far as 4 year degree jobs go). That's why so many college grads have been unemployed for years now or are stocking shelves if they're lucky.

Pirate700
Ya what this guy says. A bachlors just doesnt cut it anymore. I myself plan on going to college for 6-8 years and getting my Doctorates.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

20 or 30 years ago a bachelor's degree was almost a guarantee for getting a good job. For decades people would tell you the American Dream involves you doing good in school, going to college, and getting a great job upon graduation. Today, having a degree is a big help but with more people having degrees than jobs to occupy it's doing less and less. With the degree alone not being enough, experience is something that is needed to make you more competitive. Put two people with the same degree together and the one who has prior experience will usually be the one who gets the job.

TheMadGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheMadGamer
Member since 2003 • 8670 Posts

I agree with what others here have said, plus I think it matters in what area you have your degree in. A degree in Engineering or Computer Science is a lot more valuable than a degree in such things as History, English, Psychology or Philosophy.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Pirate700

As someone who just graduated with a Bachelor's, thanks for the encouraging post. >_>

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pirate700

I agree with what others here have said, plus I think it matters in what area you have your degree in. A degree in Engineering or Computer Science is a lot more valuable than a degree in such things as History, English, Psychology or Philosophy.

TheMadGamer

Well it also just largely depends on the current economy in your given state. Here in CA it's still almost impossible to get any job anywhere and the state, likewise, is still completely bankrupt. Go figure.

VensInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 VensInferno
Member since 2010 • 3395 Posts
I don't know about other fields except art.Because in the art field employers don't care what college you go to. They care if your good or bad. So if person A goes to Art Institute of Chicago and rides the "talent train " and barely practices vs person B who goes to a cheap college that people barely know about but works his butt of practicing everyday then Person B will get the job while person A graduates college with little value and will probably won't get a job......
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
if you dont have experience with that degree it's going to be rough volunteer somewhere or do something because it people might view it as an empty degree
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pirate700

What also sucks is as more an more colleges are going online, it further degrades their value. It used to be a degree made up for having little or no experience right out of school because it showed you have dedication and actually showed up. Now you can take your course while on the crapper.

xsynth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xsynth
Member since 2010 • 864 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

JML897

As someone who just graduated with a Bachelor's, thanks for the encouraging post. >_>

I walked straight into a job after my bachelor degree. got encouragement back? :)

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#14 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Nope, I know a guy who has his Masters in Psych and works in the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese. He prays for death daily.
Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

I imagine employers want both experience and education. Going to college is still valuable in it that it helps you build connections and presents opportunities. Don't rely on a merely a degree guaranteeing you a job, but don't underestimate its value either.

Of course, this depends on factors such as field of study, location, etc.

xsynth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xsynth
Member since 2010 • 864 Posts
It definitely depends on the job your going for. There are plenty where it doesn't matter, but if you have no experience it should help out on your resume somewhat
Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#17 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Pirate700

This pretty much explains it. Heck I know people with Masters degrees in Engineering who couldn't find a job. Granted they were international students who some companies do not want to hire b\c of they would have to process thier immigration applications which costs MONEY and a lot of headaches. But as stated above it's all about the experience, I see jobs that require 5-8 years of job experience in a particular field. That's not to say you can't get a job with a bachelors degree. As someone have stated it's also about your connections, if you did internships and so forth, the company that you did interning with often will hire you upon graduation as happened with at least 3 people I know. I don't want to discourage you but it's something to think about from my experience. Also, having a high GPA plays a major role. It's tough out their. Good luck!

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

No, but the type of industry that you're going for also plays a role.

Information technology, law, Business administration, and medical services are what's hiring. Entry level positions may be difficult upon graduation, but you can manage.

As opposed to say, a liberal arts degree?...good luck with that....

stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
As said, it depends a lot on prior experience now and less on degrees. A smart student would try to get some experience while earning their degrees. Many colleges have research opportunities and such for students to get that experience.
LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LegitGamer3212
Member since 2008 • 1619 Posts

Nope, I know a guy who has his Masters in Psych and works in the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese. He prays for death daily.Allicrombie

you serious?

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
Engineering, no problem.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
it all depends. i'm almost done with my hist degree and am about to go to law school hopefully
e_stone001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 e_stone001
Member since 2007 • 1769 Posts

Pirate700
Dang Pirate, you just described me. I'm working on getting a bachelor's degree in marketing and right now the only job on working right now is, well stocking shelves at a grocery store. I've mostly been working there since most jobs I keep searching for require experience like you said. I just think college isn't worth it anymore man. After all the money I've spent buying books and tuition, I could've saved all that money for a new car and more.
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

A degree is a necessity for many jobs, but it sure as hell doesn't guarantee you one.

Networking, great references, internships; these are invaluable assets when job-hunting in most fields. It's always been that way, recession or not.

Some folks don't realise this until their senior year, which is unfortunate.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="TheMadGamer"]

Well it also just largely depends on the current economy in your given state. Here in CA it's still almost impossible to get any job anywhere and the state, likewise, is still completely bankrupt. Go figure.

Indeed I know I few people with 2 Master Degrees and are still unemployed and some are working on something not even related to what they studied. While it's good to have a degree, today's society just makes it look unimportant with every passing day.
Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#27 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Engineering, no problem. PS2_ROCKS

You sure about that? If you have a low GPA, employers won't hire you. Not to mention if you don't have much job experience. Just having an "engineering" degree doesn't mean that you will have a job. As others have stated, they look at internships and your connections, etc. Most engineering jobs I have seen also require you to have years of experience.

TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TailBlood
Member since 2011 • 944 Posts

In my country, a bachelors now is like having a high school diploma. PHD is more like a bachelors.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

[QUOTE="PS2_ROCKS"]

You sure about that? If you have a low GPA, employers won't hire you. Not to mention if you don't have much job experience. Just having an "engineering" degree doesn't mean that you will have a job. As others have stated, they look at internships and your connections, etc. Most engineering jobs I have seen also require you to have years of experience.

Xtasy26

[QUOTE="PS2_ROCKS"]Engineering, no problem. Xtasy26

true, i know engineers who can't find jobs also most engineers need to go to grad school to be even looked at by employers
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
I think the whole degree system is stupid.
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

In my country, a bachelors now is like having a high school diploma. PHD is more like a bachelors.

TailBlood

idk what country your in but in US thats becoming the norm

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

What also sucks is as more an more colleges are going online, it further degrades their value. It used to be a degree made up for having little or no experience right out of school because it showed you have dedication and actually showed up. Now you can take your course while on the crapper.

Pirate700
Employers can still see where you got your degree from though...
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

Pirate700

Yeah, **** all those losers who have might have to balance work with raising kids who have the nerve to attempt to make a better life for themselves.

ariz3260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ariz3260
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts

It helps, but it doesn't guarantee one. For the more technical jobs (IT, engineer, architect, doctors, lawyers) you sure need one to get yourself into the door, but these days you will need a lot more to get yourself notice. Things like previous work and extracurricular exp, reference, resume and interview skills, etc

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Not anymore, but it really depends on what field you're going into. Luckily I'm going into a field that always seem to be hiring so I shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job when I'm done with school.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

Depends on the area of study. There's always a demand for engineering and science majors.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

QuistisTrepe_

Yeah, **** all those losers who have might have to balance work with raising kids who have the nerve to attempt to make a better life for themselves.

Pirate's comment was directed at the quality of the online institutions, not an insult to the ones taking them...

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

1. internship

2. bust your butt

3. profit

4. idk

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
It ENTIRELY depends on your major. It's not so black and white as some others have said, and those that claim jobs are all about experience now and 4 year grads are screwed, are wrong. With my major, I'll have access to a job right after I graduate. Sure I may not make 60k a year, but I'll have a decent job. And then once I go to graduate school, I'll be set for life. There are quite a few majors, and careers, that are really taking off. Believe it or not, not EVERY career type is saturated with employees, some are actually really hurting for workers.
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 UCF_Knight
Nope, I know a guy who has his Masters in Psych and works in the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese. He prays for death daily.Allicrombie
Yeah.. totally dependent on your majors, guys.. :P
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#41 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]Nope, I know a guy who has his Masters in Psych and works in the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese. He prays for death daily.LegitGamer3212

you serious?

Yep.
Candy-Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Candy-Star
Member since 2004 • 4378 Posts

[QUOTE="TheMadGamer"]

Pirate700

My school in Canada ships programming students to CA by the truckloads for paid internships. Some are eventually offered a fulltime job too.
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#43 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Currently taking up Bachelor's in Nursing and sometimes I think it's pointless. The economy really screwed things up and a lot of people in this country are unemployed. Hell, it's tough to even get into a hospital as a volunteer with no pay. Sometimes you have to pay the hospital to allow you to work for experience. Tough times especially for the newly grads and those about to graduate.
xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="TheMadGamer"]

Candy-Star

My school in Canada ships programming students to CA by the truckloads for paid internships. Some are eventually offered a fulltime job too.

Computer Science is incredibly hot right now in CA. Google is increasing their 2011 hires by 50%, with they tend to like to hire bachelors (although you'd need to be from a reputable school or just plain amazing). Most software/internet companies are hiring right now.

There are also tons of startups with funding looking for new graduates. So if you graduated with a CS degree from one of the better CS schools, you should be set (unless you're terrible, then you probably won't get past the interviews).

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 UCF_Knight
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="TheMadGamer"]

Candy-Star

I knew Canadians were the REAL threat to American jobs.. Seriously though, it goes to show not EVERY job out there is taken. Hell, I can think of one career that is being pushed so hard locally, students are being offered financial incentives for thousands and thousands of dollars. Yet apparently the outlook is bleak for ALL college students. :roll:
xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

[QUOTE="Candy-Star"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Well it also just largely depends on the current economy in your given state. Here in CA it's still almost impossible to get any job anywhere and the state, likewise, is still completely bankrupt. Go figure.

UCF_Knight

I knew Canadians were the REAL threat to American jobs.. Seriously though, it goes to show not EVERY job out there is taken. Hell, I can think of one career that is being pushed so hard locally, students are being offered financial incentives for thousands and thousands of dollars. Yet apparently the outlook is bleak for ALL college students. :roll:

Well, it is bleak if you chose the 'wrong' major.

Candy-Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Candy-Star
Member since 2004 • 4378 Posts
^ Well it's probably because the undergrads that get hired and move on to the next step of their lives quickly are much too busy to complain.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

not all degrees are created equal, and nothingguarantee someone is willing to hire you. good luck with a BA

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
math skills seem to be valued much more than those ambiguous majors like managing. on average, math heavy majors get paid significantly more. even in majors where math isn't integral, like computer science, math skills are still valuable and could get you a better position. on thing to keep in mind though, is that there are no guarantees. some people are just luckier than others.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

chessmaster1989

Pirate's comment was directed at the quality of the online institutions, not an insult to the ones taking them...

It's still in the same vein of looking down at those who had to take another route. I've taken online courses as well and I enjoy it far more than the lecture st-yle format. There's really no lesser quality IMO.