Do you wish you were Japanese?

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Blueresident87 (5195 posts) -

What's funny with the originial post is that Japanese people look at our culture in a similar way. 

#52 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

No, but I wish I knew Japanese.

#53 Posted by Yangire (8787 posts) -

I don't wish my ethnicity was Japanese, and I have never visited Japan so I wouldn't know if I would ever want to live there.

#54 Posted by tocool340 (20419 posts) -
No...
#55 Posted by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -

Being a young male in japan is kind of miserable, so no, I don't wish I was japanese.

#56 Posted by Nuck81 (5784 posts) -
I enjoy their cuisine. And their Social Code based on Honor and Respect. But I don't get all their sexual and pop culture fads they have going. Their standard TV is ridiculous.
#57 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5271 posts) -
Nah, I like being white.
#58 Posted by Dogswithguns (10670 posts) -
No, Im more than happy being a Vietnamese. thanks though... but my two relatives are half Japanese, and I don't even give a damm.
#59 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -
You know you can like something and not have to have a cultural reason.
#60 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
No.
#61 Posted by CWEBB04z (4527 posts) -
no, but I am half asian. I been to Japan and they are kinda racist. My dad is white, and we have been kicked out of numerous restaurants because they hate white people. If anyone ever goes to Japan and your white, visit some of the smaller cities, most of the Japanese you see will start to cross there arms to form an X .. which means your not welcome.
#62 Posted by Kats_RK (2079 posts) -

psh hell no.I'll end up killing myself.

#63 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Pros: - good sense of aesthetics - great cars - great education system - great video games (and arcades) - beautiful countryside - very little violent crime - sake - sushi Cons: - small stature (unless a sumo wrestler) - women sound like they are getting violently raped when having sex - getting nice breasts and teeth (as a woman) is a lottery with horrible odds - extreme xenophobia and racism - unnecessary levels of politeness - ridiculous writing system --- I'm going to go with no. One need not be born Japanese, or even live in Japan to appreciate things about the people and culture that are good and/or interesting.
#64 Posted by meconate (10476 posts) -
No.
#65 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -
Naw. Japan seems like a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Lots of social issues that get swept under the rug. I'd like to have their arcades here in North America though.
#66 Posted by Synctor (26 posts) -

[QUOTE="Synctor"][QUOTE="Nayef_shroof"] Yeah thats me. Was curious to how many other people wanted to be japanese. [QUOTE="Lonelynight"]fvck no. would love to visit japan though.zenogandia

Whats the name of the girl in your avatar? shes pretty cute. whats she from?

Were you the only one that voted yes?

I actually have not voted yet..... Now its two. I wish the two people who did would say something in the thread though.
#67 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
No. I'm just fine with being half-white and half-Indian.
#68 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

There is no benefit to being Japanese

Now, if you were in America, you'd get all sorts of goodies for being white.

But anyway, no TC.

And you know you can PARTAKE in their culture and DATE their WOMEN

You don't HAVE to be Japanese. It might be harder for you to be accepted but,

If my black friend could do it, anyone can.

#69 Posted by PiscesChick93 (10687 posts) -

Nope. 

I would like to visit Japan, though.

#70 Posted by -Unreal- (24474 posts) -

no, but I am half asian. I been to Japan and they are kinda racist. My dad is white, and we have been kicked out of numerous restaurants because they hate white people. If anyone ever goes to Japan and your white, visit some of the smaller cities, most of the Japanese you see will start to cross there arms to form an X .. which means your not welcome. CWEBB04z
Did you perhaps communicate in written English with the staff? They are very fussy about the use of proper grammar.

#71 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

Nah 

#72 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

[QUOTE="CWEBB04z"]no, but I am half asian. I been to Japan and they are kinda racist. My dad is white, and we have been kicked out of numerous restaurants because they hate white people. If anyone ever goes to Japan and your white, visit some of the smaller cities, most of the Japanese you see will start to cross there arms to form an X .. which means your not welcome. -Unreal-

Did you perhaps communicate in written English with the staff? They are very fussy about the use of proper grammar.

Japanese hate non-japanese people Doesn't matter if you're White, black, mexican. They don't care. Look at their instructional videos on how to properly do something. It always shows a white person being extremely stupid. Look at their black face caricatures.
#73 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15847 posts) -

Nah. I was born there. I love visiting the place (a lot). But, I'm fine with being me.

#74 Posted by Bucked20 (6951 posts) -
If you don't want to be your current race you're a disgrace to your race
#75 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15847 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

[QUOTE="CWEBB04z"]no, but I am half asian. I been to Japan and they are kinda racist. My dad is white, and we have been kicked out of numerous restaurants because they hate white people. If anyone ever goes to Japan and your white, visit some of the smaller cities, most of the Japanese you see will start to cross there arms to form an X .. which means your not welcome. MetalDogGear

Japanese hate non-japanese people Doesn't matter if you're White, black, mexican. They don't care. Look at their instructional videos on how to properly do something. It always shows a white person being extremely stupid. Look at their black face caricatures.

You have a sample? I have yet to see one.

#76 Posted by Articuno76 (18652 posts) -
Having lived in Japan for a year I know full-well that I'm too much of a lone-wolf to function happily in Japanese society. It's not like I hate people, I love them...I just love them at a 8:2 me-time: other-people ratio.
#77 Posted by dbz987 (3716 posts) -

No

#78 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

Nope.

I've loved anime and JRPGs for a long time. But I could never understand why some anime or Japanese game fans wanted to be Japanese so bad. It's kind of silly. I can still enjoy the games, anime, food, and even take a nice little trip to Japan without being Japanese.

#79 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
No. I like not bumping into people every time I leave my house.
#80 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6509 posts) -
Hell no. I want their tech, not their bodies
#81 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34087 posts) -

What would becoming Japanese accomplish exactly?

#82 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6509 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Pros: - good sense of aesthetics - great cars - great education system - great video games (and arcades) - beautiful countryside - very little violent crime - sake - sushi Cons: - small stature (unless a sumo wrestler) - women sound like they are getting violently raped when having sex - getting nice breasts and teeth (as a woman) is a lottery with horrible odds - extreme xenophobia and racism - unnecessary levels of politeness - ridiculous writing system --- I'm going to go with no. One need not be born Japanese, or even live in Japan to appreciate things about the people and culture that are good and/or interesting.

Whatchu got against their writing system?
#83 Posted by michael_1234576 (8620 posts) -
Nah I'm good..and if its Japanese girls your interested in you shouldn't have too much trouble they seem to love me..
#84 Posted by lilasianwonder (5960 posts) -

No.

#85 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
Nah. I want to visit Japan though.
#86 Posted by lightleggy (15844 posts) -

I do. Man I think theyre culture is so cool, I mean they got Anime, Manga, they make the best video games plus the girls are cute. I also think the buildings look pretty cool too. It sucks being a guy from usa, I wish i was born japanese. They are so lucky. What about you guys?

Synctor
im happy with being me. if you were japanese, you would most likely be making this same thread but with "do you wish you were born american". not because every american wants to be japanese or viceversa because you seem to have an insecurity with your identity. also japan, like any other culture, has some pretty horrible things and most of the stuff taken for granted by an american are actually nonexistant in japan.
#87 Posted by soulless4now (41346 posts) -

No, but I'd like to try more of their cuisines. 

#88 Posted by The__Kraken (851 posts) -

No. I am fine with being me. The only reason for me to not want to be me is if I look in the mirror and shake in horror due to what I see.

#89 Posted by SUD123456 (4354 posts) -

On a scale of all possibilities...

Somewhere a bit above Somalian or North Korean

And somewhere a bit below Ozark Mountain Hillbilly

#90 Posted by LazySloth718 (2332 posts) -

Nope.

Happy to be myself.

Each of us has a culture to be proud of, not only Japanese.

#91 Posted by thebest31406 (3248 posts) -
Like, can't you enjoy Anime, Manga, Japanese games and girls without being Japanese?
#92 Posted by ROFLCOPTER603 (2140 posts) -

I don't wish I was Japanese. It's not like America has the best history, but Japan has a pretty dark past.  Much like being German, I wouldn't exactly be proud to call myself Japanese. The consumerist, "quirky" (kind of racist way to describe it , but you know what I mean) culture you see today was imposed by occupying powers who didn't want to see another Empire of Japan. If you identify Japan with the culture they have now, I guess that it would be cool to be Japanese, but I don't think that you can ignore their actions during WWII.

#93 Posted by JML897 (33111 posts) -
Why would you be concerned about what Japan did in WW2 when it is currently 2013
#94 Posted by ROFLCOPTER603 (2140 posts) -

Why would you be concerned about what Japan did in WW2 when it is currently 2013JML897

Because history and heritage matters? The topic of this thread is "Do you wish you were Japanese?", not do you wish that you lived in Japan. I don't want to be part of a country that has a brutal history that occurred so recently. Plus, it's still relevant today. Japan refuses to take complete responsibility for Nanjing and other atrocities committed, and it has affected their relationship with communist China, which kind of is a major country.

#95 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -
Why would you be concerned about what Japan did in WW2 when it is currently 2013JML897
I wonder how long we'll be looking back on actions during WW2 as reasons to hold against how things are now. I mean the US basically lead a genocide against Natives and I don't see people holding that against them. Past is past, sucks that it happened but you can't hold it against people forever.
#96 Posted by zenogandia (912 posts) -

[QUOTE="JML897"]Why would you be concerned about what Japan did in WW2 when it is currently 2013Ace6301
I wonder how long we'll be looking back on actions during WW2 as reasons to hold against how things are now. I mean the US basically lead a genocide against Natives and I don't see people holding that against them. Past is past, sucks that it happened but you can't hold it against people forever.

Americans shouldn't be proud of being American because their past is stained with slavery. We can't ignore slavery. 

#97 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="JML897"]Why would you be concerned about what Japan did in WW2 when it is currently 2013zenogandia

Americans shouldn't be proud of being American because their past is stained with slavery. We can't ignore slavery. 

They also had internment camps for American citizens of Japanese descent. Canada did the same.
#98 Posted by ROFLCOPTER603 (2140 posts) -

[QUOTE="JML897"]Why would you be concerned about what Japan did in WW2 when it is currently 2013Ace6301

It hasn't been "forever". There are still victims, and perpetrators of atrocities committed during WWII alive today. You can't just blow it off and say "sucks that it happened." And people still bring up the topic of the US' genocide against the Native Americans, especially when it comes to discussion of immigration. To be fair, I'm not proud of American history either. It's not like we've been saints with Vietnam occurring so recently.

#99 Posted by DealRogers (4567 posts) -

No but I would love to visit Japan. 

#100 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1729 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="JML897"]Why would you be concerned about what Japan did in WW2 when it is currently 2013zenogandia

But should we ignore that Japan had slavery as well?