Do you travel for your job?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Videodogg (12549 posts) -

I never had a job where i had to travel or drive daily for long distance. I may have to take a new job soon, and one has been offered to me, but it requires a lot of traveling as part of the job. If you travel, can you tell me about what you like or dont like about it?

#2 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

I have to drive 20 minutes there and back to work each day and I hate it cause other drivers. 

#3 Posted by thegerg (14587 posts) -
yes
#4 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -
When you say travel, do you mean more than an hour to a jobsite and stay in a hotel during the course of the job? If so, it can be a boon as you rate per diem which can turn into a good chunk of change if you spend it sparingly (it is meant to pay for food and other necessities you need while traveling). Getting to see other places is always nice. I have been coast to coast, border to border and even out of country because of my job and getting to go to other places is always nice, especially if you have a bit of extra time to see local points of interest.
#5 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Thankfully no. My work is literally a 5 minute drive.

#6 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

It's a 10min drive in the morning, but going home it's like 30-45mins.

It's like 7-12miles.

#7 Posted by Videodogg (12549 posts) -
When you say travel, do you mean more than an hour to a jobsite and stay in a hotel during the course of the job? If so, it can be a boon as you rate per diem which can turn into a good chunk of change if you spend it sparingly (it is meant to pay for food and other necessities you need while traveling). Getting to see other places is always nice. I have been coast to coast, border to border and even out of country because of my job and getting to go to other places is always nice, especially if you have a bit of extra time to see local points of interest.WhiteKnight77
Yes. like field service work, where you have to drive long distance to repair something, maybe stay the night. Maybe even drive to a couple of long distant places in state in a single day.
#8 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -
[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]When you say travel, do you mean more than an hour to a jobsite and stay in a hotel during the course of the job? If so, it can be a boon as you rate per diem which can turn into a good chunk of change if you spend it sparingly (it is meant to pay for food and other necessities you need while traveling). Getting to see other places is always nice. I have been coast to coast, border to border and even out of country because of my job and getting to go to other places is always nice, especially if you have a bit of extra time to see local points of interest.Videodogg
Yes. like field service work, where you have to drive long distance to repair something, maybe stay the night. Maybe even drive to a couple of long distant places in state in a single day.

As I said, getting per diem is a boon and if you watch what you spend, you can save some serious change during the year. Not spending all my per diem allowed me to put enough money aside to buy a Falcon-Northwest MachV a couple of years ago. Seriously, if you spend more than $100 a day for hotel and food, you are doing it wrong. Also, if you use your own car or truck, you are also entitled to mileage which is around $.50 a mile (more or less) and can add up too. If you are up to it, go for it, you really have nothing to lose unless you do not like traveling. While I haven't figured it up really, I figure I make upwards of $10,000 a year just in per diem in addition to my regular wages, of course, I do spend some of it on food and other needed stuff while traveling.
#9 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I had to drive like 5 miles the other day to pick up some stuff we needed.

#10 Posted by bort_hurs (229 posts) -
Look at all these people not reading the OP before posting. I must be on Gamespot. Travelling as part of your job is great because you are sitting down, you're in air-conditioning (I would hope) and listening to music. Getting paid for that? Easy.
#11 Posted by CKYguy25 (2180 posts) -

i drive like 5 minutes to work, i could walk there if i wanted to

#12 Posted by sukraj (21797 posts) -

i dont travel

#13 Posted by jimkabrhel (15416 posts) -

From time to time, yes, but usually in state.

#14 Posted by bnarmz (1425 posts) -

I take a 40 min train ride back and forth to work every day. I would love to drive to work but there's no parking in the city, if you do find some parking you'll most likely be paying a minimum of $10 a day. Besides, the traffic is just not worth the hassle. I can actually get to work and back on a train faster than in a car because of the ridiculous traffic in nyc.

#15 Posted by bnarmz (1425 posts) -
Look at all these people not reading the OP before posting. I must be on Gamespot. Travelling as part of your job is great because you are sitting down, you're in air-conditioning (I would hope) and listening to music. Getting paid for that? Easy.bort_hurs
It looks that way, and I'm no different. I do work in and out doors...traveling is part of my job and I like that aspect of it much better,tbh....
#16 Posted by Spartan_N7 (576 posts) -

I drive 3 hours a night.

Edit- Normally, I dont mind it but Friday night, I was sick with the flu. Yeah, that sucked.

#17 Posted by Lord_Omikron666 (4741 posts) -

2 hours of my day are spent driving or riding to and from work.

#18 Posted by CursedChamp (506 posts) -
I have travel 40 miles round trip for my job.