Do you think you guys could help me out?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Ace_of_Spades90
Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ace_of_Spades90
Member since 2012 • 815 Posts

I've been approached by a company in San Francisco about a job; I haven't made any moves yet, but my interest is piqued.

Can anyone talk to me about housing out there? My boyfriend and I live in a condo right now, but we're open to (and interested in) an apartment in the city. We have 3 cats and 1 small dog, though, so it's difficult for us to find places to rent.

I don't know the areas, so research is slow going. Most everything I've found in the city is in the 3k - 5k range and I don't know where to look for better prices in reasonably safe areas or what the good commuting options are.

Help?

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

What little I know about San Francisco comes from The Room and the video game Driver (PC).

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Mods, please, please please don't delete that post. Posterity needs to see it.

EDIT:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ace_of_Spades90

Bump

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Goodness

Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ace_of_Spades90

Last bump

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Well in your case, your gonna have to make some sacrifices in life. From what you said, it looks to me that you got too many Pets In the house to feed and that can totally cost you a lot of money. I have one Cat living in the house since they are easy to take care of so if you feel that your pets are holding you up, just have one pet. I'm not from San Francisco, I live in Atlanta GA, how do you know the this job will be good?

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I don't know much about San Francisco, but I wouldn't want to live there or anywhere in Cali. But it probably beats Seattle, too rainy and if Mount Rainier ever acts up a lahar could wipe the whole area out, so my advice: don't move to Washington state.

Really I wouldn't want to live in any big city, I'd prefer a mid-size town, cities are too crowded and have high costs of living.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

If you want an honest answer, you have to make about $25 an hour with a roommate in a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment to make a decent living. I live here in SF but I split rent with my pops. I can't live on my own on my $11.33 an hour salary. I would barely make it passed the electric, water and cell phone bill. My pops and I have rent control so we pay A LOT less rent than anyone else in our apartment so, I can't give you an accurate cost to live here. I'll tell you this though, even with the rent control and my dad earning nearly $28 the hour, he and I still struggle to keep things together. It's goddamn scary looking at places over here. Not to mention that in SF you will be HEAVILY relying on public transportation since the city is always packed and charge $30 for parking lots depending which side of SF you're on. Sorry if you were hoping for something more positive but, I think its only fair that you should know. SF is no joke and the overall rent is actually about to get higher. I hope you and your bf have high paying jobs.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@-paranorman-: Yeah, it seems that in big cities like NY or San Francisco, there are a lot of really poor people and also clusters of super rich people, but most people in those cities are struggling to life comfortably. It's probably easier to get buy in the suburbs or the countryside, unless you're making Derek Jeter money.