Do you think there is life after death?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#351 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="tocool340"]Well, firstly they need to figure out how to regenerate brain cells because once death occurs, your body, including your brain, will begin decaying. If they brought someone back once they died, they will most likely return mildly "retarded" (Or handicap. Or vegetable. Whatever you'd like to call it...), have lapse of memory depending on the spot the brain first begin decaying, and other complications that happens when the brain gets damaged. They could be considered alive, but I doubt those who come back, even if they found a way to regenerate brain cells will be the same. Doesn't really matter what they say they seen during their death experience since it could be their last thoughts/dreams prior to them dying. Sort of like putting a computer in hibernation where it turns off but comes back to resume the state it was in prior to it hibernation.... Hmmmm....they had to reconstruct him from nearly scratch, which I doubt we'll ever require such technology before our sun burns out because if we did, I definitely believe we'd have a problem with people not being able to stay dead. All it takes is someone to reconstruct a Hitler Stalin, or any past lunatic for there to be a major problem....chrisrooR

Our sun's schedueled to burn out in like a couple of billion years. If humanity's still alive at that time I think we'd have the technology by then to be living in other solar systems entirely.

We're probably going to be living in other solar systems in less than a couple of thousand years at this rate.

No we won't. That would require us to manufacture a spaceship large enough to carry any sort of sustainable human population, and fast enough to get there while the humans are still alive. Just getting to the nearest star is 3.4 million light years away, and travelling at the speed of the fastest object humans have ever manufactured is the Voyage 1 spacecraft, travelling at 17 kilometres per second. It would take that 70,000 years to reach Alpha Centari.

totally doable
#352 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="tocool340"]Well, firstly they need to figure out how to regenerate brain cells because once death occurs, your body, including your brain, will begin decaying. If they brought someone back once they died, they will most likely return mildly "retarded" (Or handicap. Or vegetable. Whatever you'd like to call it...), have lapse of memory depending on the spot the brain first begin decaying, and other complications that happens when the brain gets damaged. They could be considered alive, but I doubt those who come back, even if they found a way to regenerate brain cells will be the same. Doesn't really matter what they say they seen during their death experience since it could be their last thoughts/dreams prior to them dying. Sort of like putting a computer in hibernation where it turns off but comes back to resume the state it was in prior to it hibernation.... Hmmmm....they had to reconstruct him from nearly scratch, which I doubt we'll ever require such technology before our sun burns out because if we did, I definitely believe we'd have a problem with people not being able to stay dead. All it takes is someone to reconstruct a Hitler Stalin, or any past lunatic for there to be a major problem....chrisrooR

Our sun's schedueled to burn out in like a couple of billion years. If humanity's still alive at that time I think we'd have the technology by then to be living in other solar systems entirely.

We're probably going to be living in other solar systems in less than a couple of thousand years at this rate.

No we won't. That would require us to manufacture a spaceship large enough to carry any sort of sustainable human population, and fast enough to get there while the humans are still alive. Just getting to the nearest star is 3.4 million light years away, and travelling at the speed of the fastest object humans have ever manufactured is the Voyage 1 spacecraft, travelling at 17 kilometres per second. It would take that 70,000 years to reach Alpha Centari.

3.4 million light years away?

The suns got a lifespan left of billions of years. Plenty of time.

#353 Posted by bnarmz (1425 posts) -

haha, this still going?

I think people are confusing the existence after the body dies to their pre-death exisistance. I doubt life as we know it will be the same in death, it's almost like explaining a 3D world to a entity that has only lived in a 2D world all it's life. All it ever known was back and front....it just can't fathom the ideas of having sides, a top and a bottom perspective....simply because it dosen't have the faculty/training to grasp the concepts, especially when being closed minded and lacking imagination or wisdom in such info. As always, various perspectives can shed light on every angle. It's all in how you look at it.

If you can imagine your whole consciousness operating in the range of a needle's movement across the page of (for example) a seismograph,

your awareness of yourself as a human being in a 3 dimensional experience could be represented by the furthest point of reach of the needle to one side.

Unaware of the rest of the needles range of movement. The total range is 'you'. That other awareness is what we're working on developing.

That 'other dimension' that we'd call death or an afterlife is inclusive in the total range. Not separate or distinct from what's always available.

In other words, you exist in all dimensions, and every minute subtle space between them, you're just not aware of it. It doesn't get much slower or thicker than this.

God doesn't put you anywhere. You are inside of him. An aspect. From 'his' viewpoint, you are the entirety. It's you that expands your awareness to discover that for yourself.

The world and your experiences in it are the opportunity given to you to do that. You can blame him for that. Opportunity.

Everything you do or think or believe and experience is by choice. Even what you'd call 'conditioning' is by your agreement.

to add further insight on the subject check out professor Michio Kaku as he talks about 11 possible dimensions-http://youtu.be/GFZ80G4m_7Q

No one here can accurately say what happens when we die, but there are a lot of theories out there to consider. In due time we will all know what awaits in death. What I will can say to those that are interested is to prepare yourself for it, especially If you're having a deep down feeling that there is more to life than the menial ongoings most of us seem to be acustom to.

#354 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"]Agreed. Aging is due to the degradation of DNA. But if the hologram principle is correct ( http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=sidebar-the-holographic-p ) then it is impossible for any information to be lost. So, the DNA you are born with is stored somewhere on the edge of the Universe, just as the DNA you die with is stored somewhere on the edge of the Universe. It's the nature of information rather than the 'physicality' (so to speak).br0kenrabbit

So heaven is two-dimensional? That sux.

How many dimensions is hell? I might check that one out.

The point was information is never lost. Our reality in this 3d world could just be the information from the 4d world, after all, the 4th dimensions and above are curled up around us all the time. The 4d world information stored from the fifth dimension etc. Heaven would be a place that is dimensionless, unattainable by any physical information from the dimensions around us right now. Heaven transcends all physical reality. If not dimensionless, it is a place of infinite dimensions- related to the idea of a dimensionless state, almost one in the same.
#355 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13296 posts) -

The point was information is never lost. Our reality in this 3d world could just be the information from the 4d world, after all, the 4th dimensions and above are curled up around us all the time. The 4d world information stored from the fifth dimension etc. Heaven would be a place that is dimensionless, unattainable by any physical information from the dimensions around us right now. Heaven transcends all physical reality. If not dimensionless, it is a place of infinite dimensions- related to the idea of a dimensionless state, almost one in the same.lo_Pine

Sooo....heaven is the superbane that all the other branes flop around in?

Or are we just an infinite expression of a singularity, who aren't as big as we think?

#356 Posted by deathtarget04 (2266 posts) -

[QUOTE="pariah3"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Well at least you wouldn't have any memories of the pain. Hell you could have done this a million times and still think it's a new experience!Ace6301

Sorry but just don't buy into your theories.

My theory is when you're dead you're dead. Forever.

Well that's a sh*tty way to think about life. And not very realistic. Hell, the so called "afterlife" in religion has just as much weight as far as I'm concerned. I'm really surprised so many people think nothing happens after you die.

#357 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

Maybe there isn't "life" after death, but perhaps death itself's actually alright. It's kind of like sleeping, and everyone likes sleeping.

#358 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="pariah3"]

deathtarget04

Well that's a sh*tty way to think about life. And not very realistic. Hell, the so called "afterlife" in religion has just as much weight as far as I'm concerned. I'm really surprised so many people think nothing happens after you die.

OT is full of downers. I'm pretty sure most people here want to be in a dark state of non-existance more so than believe it.

#359 Posted by Aljosa23 (25644 posts) -

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

That implies we can travel at the speed light which we won't unless we discover mass relays.

#360 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"] No we won't. That would require us to manufacture a spaceship large enough to carry any sort of sustainable human population, and fast enough to get there while the humans are still alive. Just getting to the nearest star is 3.4 million light years away, and travelling at the speed of the fastest object humans have ever manufactured is the Voyage 1 spacecraft, travelling at 17 kilometres per second. It would take that 70,000 years to reach Alpha Centari.

Aljosa23

That implies we can travel at the speed light which we won't unless we discover mass relays.

FTL drives? ;)

#361 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

deathtarget04

Why does it surprise you? There's no evidence for anything else happening. The reality of a human is that you're chemical reactions. Once those stop you're dead. Everything you think is happening in your brain. So once it dies, then what? I don't see how this is depressing or sh*tty. It's just how things are.
#362 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -
[QUOTE="deathtarget04"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] My theory is when you're dead you're dead. Forever.Ace6301

Why does it surprise you? There's no evidence for anything else happening. The reality of a human is that you're chemical reactions. Once those stop you're dead. Everything you think is happening in your brain. So once it dies, then what? I don't see how this is depressing or sh*tty. It's just how things are.

I was thinking about that, and I came to the realization that when you're dead, it will be as if this whole life never happened because you have no memories of it. when we're dead, we don't realize we're dead and thus we don't realize that we have ever lived.
#363 Posted by Aljosa23 (25644 posts) -

I was thinking about that, and I came to the realization that when you're dead, it will be as if this whole life never happened because you have no memories of it. when we're dead, we don't realize we're dead and thus we don't realize that we have ever lived. Rich3232
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

tumblr_lsxc90Urli1qz9ylfo1_500.gif

#364 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rich3232"]I was thinking about that, and I came to the realization that when you're dead, it will be as if this whole life never happened because you have no memories of it. when we're dead, we don't realize we're dead and thus we don't realize that we have ever lived. Aljosa23

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

tumblr_lsxc90Urli1qz9ylfo1_500.gif

ahahah, d3nny. i think he made that sig when he was sh*tfaced if iirc.
#365 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

Plants are living things.

They don't have a brain.

#366 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

They don't have a brain.

sune_Gem

They have some kind of essence,though.

Different type of sentience.

#367 Posted by nightshade869 (3457 posts) -
Certainly hope so after reading so much sh*t on here i want the time backEmpCom
Lol
#368 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

They don't have a brain.

GreekGameManiac

Just sticking it to the people who are all like "when your brain dies you're dead, because things can't live without a brain". :P

#369 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13296 posts) -

GreekGameManiac

Sentience requires thought.

Plants, jellyfish, single-celled creatures etc. that have no nervous system are basically just little DNA.EXE programs. I'm not sure what my position is on insect intelligence; my childhood neighbor used to keep bees and they're pretty dumb. I've seen a bee batter itself against a window until death many times.

Also, the whole moth-to-flame thing "If I keep this light to one side that means I'm going straight. Is anyone else getting hot?"

#370 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Plants, jellyfish, single-celled creatures etc. that have no nervous system are basically just little DNA.EXE programs. I'm not sure what my position is on insect intelligence; my childhood neighbor used to keep bees and they're pretty dumb. I've seen a bee batter itself against a window until death many times.

Also, the whole moth-to-flame thing "If I keep this light to one side that means I'm going straight. Is anyone else getting hot?"

br0kenrabbit

Actually not really,they still have an essence.

That's why they react to music,and if you talk to them.

Slowly,they'll grow better,and may turn on a different angle.

#371 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

br0kenrabbit

Don't be jelly of the jellyfish now.

#372 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13296 posts) -

GreekGameManiac

Plants respond to stimuli on auto-pilot. It isn't difficult to believe that they respond to vibrations (sound), even lower-order lifeforms like bacteria will react to it.

#373 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13296 posts) -

Don't be jelly of the jellyfish now.

sune_Gem

Love me a good jellyfish salad. And then some unagi. Mmmm...yup, I know where I'm eating lunch tomorrow.

#374 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

br0kenrabbit

Plants respond to stimuli on auto-pilot. It isn't difficult to believe that they respond to vibrations (sound), even lower-order lifeforms like bacteria will react to it.

So?

There's nothing that proves they don't have some kind of essense/energy pattern/soul.

Nothing.

#375 Posted by wis3boi (31719 posts) -

deathtarget04

Sorry, afterlife has zero grounding in reality until evidence comes along for it...of which there is none.  Also living forever sounds horrible and makes my current life meaningless

#376 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13296 posts) -

So?

There's nothing that proves they don't have some kind of essense/energy pattern/soul.

Nothing.

GreekGameManiac

Plants do generate electricity when a photon smacks into a CO2 molecule, disassociating the carbon from the oxygen generates a small electrical current that the plant uses to make sugars. The energy of a plant has nothing to do with an essence, it's just a product of photosynthesis.

#377 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Plants do generate electricity when the photon smacks into the CO2 molecule, disassociating the carbon from the oxygen generates a small electrical current that the plant uses to make sugars. The energy of a plant has nothing to do with an essence, it's just a product of photosynthesis.

br0kenrabbit

They.have.an.essense.

#378 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13296 posts) -

They.have.an.essense.

GreekGameManiac

My farts have an essence, doesn't mean they're sentient.

#379 Posted by deathtarget04 (2266 posts) -

[QUOTE="deathtarget04"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] My theory is when you're dead you're dead. Forever.wis3boi

Sorry, afterlife has zero grounding in reality until evidence comes along for it...of which there is none.  Also living forever sounds horrible and makes my current life meaningless

Life is meaningless either way. And I don't believe in the afterlife in the context of religion. Like I posted further back, it all either depends on if the universe is infinite or not.

#380 Posted by tocool340 (20617 posts) -

[QUOTE="tocool340"]Well, firstly they need to figure out how to regenerate brain cells because once death occurs, your body, including your brain, will begin decaying. If they brought someone back once they died, they will most likely return mildly "retarded" (Or handicap. Or vegetable. Whatever you'd like to call it...), have lapse of memory depending on the spot the brain first begin decaying, and other complications that happens when the brain gets damaged. They could be considered alive, but I doubt those who come back, even if they found a way to regenerate brain cells will be the same. Doesn't really matter what they say they seen during their death experience since it could be their last thoughts/dreams prior to them dying. Sort of like putting a computer in hibernation where it turns off but comes back to resume the state it was in prior to it hibernation.... Hmmmm....they had to reconstruct him from nearly scratch, which I doubt we'll ever require such technology before our sun burns out because if we did, I definitely believe we'd have a problem with people not being able to stay dead. All it takes is someone to reconstruct a Hitler Stalin, or any past lunatic for there to be a major problem....sune_Gem

I doubt it. I really can't talk as its not my field of expertise, but Law and Physics in real life is a lot different than they are in video games and movies. There probably won't be any warp jumping to new galaxies as everyone on-board will be dead the moment the ship stops (Or hell, as soon as the ship even takes off...) due to the mass acceleration and deceleration (I'm guessing that's describing kinetic energy?...). There really isn't a work around for that. And considering the nearest star similar to the sun is some million light years away, I doubt we'll live passed the sun burning out to migrate to a different world. That would require human life needing to sustain itself in space for a million, perhaps a couple billion years (Which means this fleet must go through thousands of generation in order to arrive at this place while having enough resources to sustain the billions of peoples on board. And unless the entire fleet decides to incorporate China laws in regarding childbirth, which it probably won't due to it being an unpopular practice to the general population outside of China, over population will become problem) and also hoping that the nearest star system has a sustainable planet for humans to migrate to because if it don't, we are pretty much sh1t out of luck....
#381 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="tocool340"]Well, firstly they need to figure out how to regenerate brain cells because once death occurs, your body, including your brain, will begin decaying. If they brought someone back once they died, they will most likely return mildly "retarded" (Or handicap. Or vegetable. Whatever you'd like to call it...), have lapse of memory depending on the spot the brain first begin decaying, and other complications that happens when the brain gets damaged. They could be considered alive, but I doubt those who come back, even if they found a way to regenerate brain cells will be the same. Doesn't really matter what they say they seen during their death experience since it could be their last thoughts/dreams prior to them dying. Sort of like putting a computer in hibernation where it turns off but comes back to resume the state it was in prior to it hibernation.... Hmmmm....they had to reconstruct him from nearly scratch, which I doubt we'll ever require such technology before our sun burns out because if we did, I definitely believe we'd have a problem with people not being able to stay dead. All it takes is someone to reconstruct a Hitler Stalin, or any past lunatic for there to be a major problem....tocool340

I doubt it. I really can't talk as its not my field of expertise, but Law and Physics in real life is a lot different than they are in video games and movies. There probably won't be any warp jumping to new galaxies as everyone on-board will be dead the moment the ship stops (Or hell, as soon as the ship even takes off...) due to the mass acceleration and deceleration (I'm guessing that's describing kinetic energy?...). There really isn't a work around for that. And considering the nearest star similar to the sun is some million light years away, I doubt we'll live passed the sun burning out to migrate to a different world. That would require human life needing to sustain itself in space for a million, perhaps a couple billion years (Which means this fleet must go through thousands of generation in order to arrive at this place while having enough resources to sustain the billions of peoples on board. And unless the entire fleet decides to incorporate China laws in regarding childbirth, which it probably won't due to it being an unpopular practice to the general population outside of China, over population will become problem) and also hoping that the nearest star system has a sustainable planet for humans to migrate to because if it don't, we are pretty much sh1t out of luck....

5 or so billion years of research is a lot of time to prepare for the apocalypse. I really am confident that we're still going to be here some way or another when the sun comes down, if we haven't killed ourselves already at that point of course.

Seriously, look how far technology has come in the last 100 years alone. Just imagine where it will be at in 5,000,000,000. Surely technology would have surpassed the need for a planet by then. We already got people up in space stations and plan on colonizing Mars in a few decades as it is.

Don't forget how many things scientists have claimed to be impossible in the past then went ahead and did it anyway after a new discovery was made.

Besides, you'd think that when we start nearing the time of our impending doom, scientists are going to go all out to find a way to live on. I doubt they're just going to go "meh, time's up".

#382 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

5 or so billion years of research is a lot of time to prepare for the apocalypse. I really am confident that we're still going to be here some way or another when the sun comes down, if we haven't killed ourselves already at that point of course.

Seriously, look how far technology has come in the last 100 years alone. Just imagine where it will be at in 5,000,000,000. Surely technology would have surpassed the need for a planet by then. We already got people up in space stations and plan on colonizing Mars in a few decades as it is.

Don't forget how many things scientists have claimed to be impossible in the past then went ahead and did it anyway after a new discovery was made.

Besides, you'd think that when we start nearing the time of our impending doom, scientists are going to go all out to find a way to live on. I doubt they're just going to go "meh, time's up".

sune_Gem

Yeah.

#383 Posted by m25105 (3135 posts) -
Yes there's an afterlife.
#384 Posted by tocool340 (20617 posts) -

[QUOTE="tocool340"][QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

Technology has advanced, sure. But there hasn't been anything made that bends the laws of physics pass the logically impossible. When that EVER happens, where a person can survive traveling at the speed of light from one place to another (As it will take a million years to travel to the nearest star, probably more to find a planet that has the necessary conditions for us to survive in) and not end up like a pancake due to the massive acceleration then deceleration of speed, then I'll take what you say into consideration. Even if we manage to build ship capable of traveling to another universe, it still gonna require a million years to get there which means several generation would have passed by before they manage to make it...

Now, the only solution I think we can come up with in order to survive, and even that is a long stretch, is if these so called scientist manage to figure out a way to prolong the life of the sun without creating massive consequences (Sudden increase in the suns size, intensifying the heat that comes from the sun, accidentally burn it out quicker, disrupt the suns gravitational pull, etc.) or create an artificial one (HIGHLY UNLIKELY due to the possible negative effects of trying such a stunt.)....

#385 Posted by JamesElfman (98 posts) -
our atoms will go on for awhile i assume.Ikind of hope that there is something after this but at the same time death might be like before you were born and you just wont know your dead.
#386 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

our atoms will go on for awhile i assume.Ikind of hope that there is something after this but at the same time death might be like before you were born and you just wont know your dead.JamesElfman

If you're ready,and fullfilled your purpose,and maybe did some meditational practise,you will ascend to the higher dimensions.

If not,prob reincarnate.

#387 Posted by XDeSuEhTX (11191 posts) -

[QUOTE="XDeSuEhTX"]

you cannot destroy an atom

br0kenrabbit

Then explain this:

2meyr.jpg

My understanding is when an atom is split, energy is released. But you cannot destroy energy, nor can you create it, we can only work with what is there as it recycles. It basically becomes something else. I would think the same basic principle would apply to the electrons and protons that cause our brain to function. One day the brain will die and dematerialize, but that energy inside will never cease, only release into the atmosphere. Who's to say what becomes of it? I can't answer. When you really examine what something is, it's true definition goes beyond the obvious. Wood is not merely wood, glass isn't just glass, etc, etc, everything breaks down into a much more complex composition of energy. It just so happens that the most intricate and magnificent of all compositions, is what goes on inside of the human brain.

#388 Posted by MannyDelgado (1250 posts) -

But you cannot destroy energy, nor can you create it, we can only work with what is there as it recycles.

XDeSuEhTX

Doesn't make you any less wrong about whether you can destroy an atom