Do you think there is life after death?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

NDE's are basically acid trips when your brain is shutting down

wis3boi

Oh, I know, It's fvcking cool. The one thing I look forward to when slowly dying.

Assuming it's slow :P

You seem quite happy believing life has a permanent end. Just curious however, do you wish that there was some set in stone evidence of an actual afterlife?

#152 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Rich3232"] Oh, I know, It's fvcking cool. The one thing I look forward to when slowly dying. sune_Gem

You seem quite happy believing life has a permanent end. Just curious however, do you wish that there was some set in stone evidence of an actual afterlife?

an afterlife makes this one 100% useless, so no.

#153 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

beyond resuscitation, I rekon.  Brain starved of oxygen, etc.

wis3boi

so, when most brain cells are dead? if so, then i don't think most near-death experiences fit that profile.

NDE's are basically acid trips when your brain is shutting down

Not always.

#154 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Rich3232"] Oh, I know, It's fvcking cool. The one thing I look forward to when slowly dying. sune_Gem

only if that afterlife guarantees that i'm in a state of perpetual euphoria/bliss.
#155 Posted by GOGOGOGURT (4470 posts) -

There is also death after life.

#156 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

Not in most religious beliefs. Your actions in this life effect your reward in death.

Besides, wouldn't a permanent end to conscious life render your current life as useless as reincarnation would?

I'm not picking at your beliefs or anything. It's just that atheism usually is down to the fact that the individual see's no way that an afterlife can be real in the laws of reality. Not so much down to the fact that they wish there wasn't one.

#157 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

only if that afterlife guarantees that i'm in a state of perpetual euphoria/bliss. Rich3232

That's up to you,your karma,and your energy vibration.

If it's high enough,you may transcend this dimension and go higher.

#158 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Rich3232

only if that afterlife guarantees that i'm in a state of perpetual euphoria/bliss.

It's kind of my thoughts on the subject.

What if you was to come back to life as a insect or animal, but lead a happy and generally pleasant life where you feel happy the majority of the time?

#159 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rich3232"]only if that afterlife guarantees that i'm in a state of perpetual euphoria/bliss. GreekGameManiac

Which dimension?
#160 Posted by GOGOGOGURT (4470 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rich3232"]only if that afterlife guarantees that i'm in a state of perpetual euphoria/bliss. GreekGameManiac

HA.  It's like you're high or something.

#161 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

What if you was to come back to life as a insect or animal, but lead a happy and generally pleasant life where you feel happy the majority of the time?

well, i would like to be aware enough to know that i am experiencing happiness/pleasure if that makes sense. i'm very much a hedonist.
#162 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

GOGOGOGURT

Oh yeah dude,i'm like sooo high.

Not really,you just can't accept that there's more than meets the eye in this vast universe.

#163 Posted by GOGOGOGURT (4470 posts) -

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

GreekGameManiac

Oh yeah dude,i'm like sooo high.

Not really,you just can't accept that there's more than meets the eye in this vast universe.

Yes I can.  We are in a computer simulation.  Right. Now.

#164 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10903 posts) -
I don't think so. To quote Ben Linus, "Dead is dead".
#165 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Yes I can.  We are in a computer simulation.  Right. Now.

GOGOGOGURT

XD

#166 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="Rich3232"] only if that afterlife guarantees that i'm in a state of perpetual euphoria/bliss. Rich3232

well, i would like to be aware enough to know that i am experiencing happiness/pleasure if that makes sense. i'm very much a hedonist.

Now, as we are, if we was told we was going to comeback as say a dung beetle, most people would be repulsed by it and completely decline the offer. However if I was promised to lead a generally happy life where I can truly experience joy then I wouldn't care what I come back as. Even if it was some insignificant insect with next to no intelligence.

#167 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Now, as we are, if we was told we was going to comeback as say a dung beetle, most people would be repulsed by it and completely decline the offer. However if I was promised to lead a generally happy life where I can truly experience joy then I wouldn't care what I come back as. Even if it was some insignificant insect with next to no intelligence.

sune_Gem

I'd rather ascend to a higher density.

#168 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

GreekGameManiac

Buffets are pretty cheap.
#169 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

GreekGameManiac

I probably would too if it means to have a more positive existence.

#170 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13094 posts) -

If the universe is remade with the same laws of physics each time then it is not an infinite possibility outcome. I never claimed you and your future self would share consciousness nor that twins do. However if you took someone with the same DNA and raised them in the exact (and I do mean exact) way they would come out the same. Ace6301

It isn't that simple. A second one way or the other can have tremendous consequences further down the line. Delaying coming out of a red light for a second because you were fooling with the radio may have prevented you from being the last car through green at the next light, causing you to miss that idiot running red who would have T-boned you.

Little things add up.

And there's nothing in physics that says they have to work they way they do, and they don't always.

#171 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]If the universe is remade with the same laws of physics each time then it is not an infinite possibility outcome. I never claimed you and your future self would share consciousness nor that twins do. However if you took someone with the same DNA and raised them in the exact (and I do mean exact) way they would come out the same. br0kenrabbit

It isn't that simple. A second one way or the other can have tremendous consequences further down the line. Delaying coming out of a red light for a second because you were fooling with the radio may have prevented you from being the last car through green at the next light, causing you to miss that idiot running red who would have T-boned you.

Little things add up.

And there's nothing in physics that says they have to work they way they do, and they don't always.

Yes things may work out differently. But to what extent are you willing to say you aren't you anymore? No. There isn't. There isn't anything in physics saying the universe has to restart either or that it's going to end that we know of. However if the universe does restart what is going to be different next time that causes things to work out so differently. It's the same amount of energy. There's only so much that can be done with a finite amount of something. The point is though that this has some, as I already said tenuous, grounding in reality and what we know. Heaven, hell, religious reincarnation, other planes of existence. They don't. Thus it's more likely. I think when you're dead that's it. Hope you made an impression on people because otherwise you're nothing but worm food.
#172 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13094 posts) -

Yes things may work out differently. But to what extent are you willing to say you aren't you anymore? No. There isn't. There isn't anything in physics saying the universe has to restart either or that it's going to end that we know of. However if the universe does restart what is going to be different next time that causes things to work out so differently. It's the same amount of energy. There's only so much that can be done with a finite amount of something. The point is though that this has some, as I already said tenuous, grounding in reality and what we know. Heaven, hell, religious reincarnation, other planes of existence. They don't. Thus it's more likely. I think when you're dead that's it. Hope you made an impression on people because otherwise you're nothing but worm food.Ace6301

You don't even have to die to not be you anymore. Many people with severe head injuries experience total personality shifts. Is it a different consciousness? Many of those who suffer from such would tell you so. They view the people they used to be as someone alien from themselves.

And yes, physics says if the universe keeps going (as in doesn't collapse or expand to a big rip) then we will eventually experience 'heat death', which means all available energy has done all the work that it can do. Entropy and all that.

#173 Posted by JohnF111 (14093 posts) -
How can there be life after death? Such a statement is impossible, like saying "Is there death before life?". It can't happen.
#174 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36824 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

Not in most religious beliefs. Your actions in this life effect your reward in death.

Besides, wouldn't a permanent end to conscious life render your current life as useless as reincarnation would?

I'm not picking at your beliefs or anything. It's just that atheism usually is down to the fact that the individual see's no way that an afterlife can be real in the laws of reality. Not so much down to the fact that they wish there wasn't one.

Fvck you are depressing

#175 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36824 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

GreekGameManiac

So you'll practically j*zz if you come back as a massive star?

#176 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Fvck you are depressing

chaoscougar1

No,he just points out how sad the view you the blind ppl have.

#177 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36824 posts) -

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

Fvck you are depressing

GreekGameManiac

No,he just points out how sad the view you the blind ppl have.

Wouldn't the realisation that you only have one life that you 100% know of Make you want to live that life to the fullest and leave behind a lasting positive legacy for your children?
#178 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Wouldn't the realisation that you only have one life that you 100% know of Make you want to live that life to the fullest and leave behind a lasting positive legacy for your children?chaoscougar1

Having more lives is better,you can do different things each time.

Btw,the world sucks.

#179 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]Wouldn't the realisation that you only have one life that you 100% know of Make you want to live that life to the fullest and leave behind a lasting positive legacy for your children?GreekGameManiac

Btw,the world sucks.

So why not end yours and try a new one out? Ah, but you can't because you'd have a hefty chance at being wrong

#180 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36824 posts) -

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]Wouldn't the realisation that you only have one life that you 100% know of Make you want to live that life to the fullest and leave behind a lasting positive legacy for your children?GreekGameManiac

Btw,the world sucks.

Then why are you still here?
#181 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Then why are you still here?chaoscougar1

What do you mean?

#182 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36824 posts) -

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] Then why are you still here?GreekGameManiac

What do you mean?

If the world sucks And you have multiple lives Why are you wasting your time on this one?
#183 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

If the world sucks And you have multiple lives Why are you wasting your time on this one?chaoscougar1

Lol cause i have to live it?

#184 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

Here's what I never got about reincarnation

Let's say that I've lived a million times before.

I can't remember any of those past lives.

But why am I currently living this one? It seems like someone put the DVD on fast forward and hit play on this life.

But why?

#185 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

But why am I currently living this one? It seems like someone put the DVD on fast forward and hit play on this life.

But why?

MetalDogGear

Not a million times.

But i think it's because your soul wants to experience stuff everytime.

And/or you need to follow the right way,and raise your energy enough to ascend.

here.check these

http://www.salrachele.com/webarticles/soulsandsoulrays.htm

http://www.salrachele.com/webarticles/ascension.htm

http://www.salrachele.com/webarticles/pastparallelandsimultaneouslifetimes.htm

Make of them what you will.

#186 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36824 posts) -

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]If the world sucks And you have multiple lives Why are you wasting your time on this one?GreekGameManiac

Lol cause i have to live it?

Who said?
#187 Posted by JohnF111 (14093 posts) -

But why?

MetalDogGear
Here's what I know about incarnation: It's a way for people to deal with the fact that once you die you are gone never to come back ever again. Simple as that. Same as heaven, just a way for people to deal wit something they know is coming to them but they knowing about and fear.
#188 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

@chaoscougar: i'll reply to you when you get more serious,yeah?

@John,dude,stop thinking that everything is a lie/made up so ppl can justify this or that,or make them feel better about life.

Eh,what am i wasting my time for?

#189 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36824 posts) -

GreekGameManiac
aka I don't have a decent response
#190 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

aka I don't have a decent responsechaoscougar1

Ask me a serious question.

#191 Posted by JohnF111 (14093 posts) -

@John,dude,stop thinking that everything is a lie/made up so ppl can justify this or that,or make them feel better about life.

Eh,what am i wasting my time for?

GreekGameManiac
It's true though, how am I supposed to believe something that no one can show me until I'm dead, if there can be life after death does that mean there was death before life? Can't have one without the other.
#192 Posted by bnarmz (1425 posts) -

From what I overstand. The basic ideas concerning re-incarnation is about learning particular lessons through experiences. To remember your past lives will probably complicate the learning progress. It's been said that all of us have been here many many times, and some people swear they can remember their past lives. One thing I ponder on is that people (mainly kids) today are born much wiser and more aware than they were decades ago.

If you're really interested in the subject perhaps you might want to research "Past Life Regressions". This may give you further insight and possibly assist you with certain techniques in figuring out who you are, who you were, and why you're here. It's pretty interesting stuff to say the least, but keep a box of salt handy.

#193 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Your actions in this life effect your reward in death.sune_Gem
Except in Christianity, where a death-bed repentance saves even the most vile people from punishment. If there is life after death, then it DOES make this life meaningless, especially if that life could be any bit better than this one. Accepting a permanent end to this life makes living every single day... every single second you exist, worth living to it's fullest. As soon as death becomes something other than "game over; no retries", then this life loses most or all of it's value. I don't understand how anyone could lie to themselves like that. Hoping that they get a second chance when they have every opportunity to make something of themselves RIGHT NOW.
#194 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29392 posts) -
Yes
#195 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29392 posts) -
As soon as death becomes something other than "game over; no retries", then this life loses most or all of it's value.Zeviander
Maybe for you it does, but that's your problem.
#196 Posted by GameGuy642003 (1768 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="GameGuy642003"]Yes Sir. Only two places to dwell, heaven or hell.wis3boi

Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

If there's a hell, we'll be in good company

Well, if there is a Hell nobody will be reigning in it, nor will Satan. God will reign over Hell as He does heaven. I personally believe there won't be any sort of companionship or camaraderie in Hell. People in Hell will hate other people. And the hate people have for God today will only increase when they are sentenced to Hell.
#197 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6584 posts) -
Don't know what happens. All I can hope for is that the person I am will still exist somehow. If not, I will force my way.
#198 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Maybe for you it does, but that's your problem.chessmaster1989
At least I can accept reality for what it is and not make leaps of logic in hopes of something better. The hope for an afterlife is the mark of someone unwilling to make their life here better.
#199 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
[QUOTE="GameGuy642003"] Well, if there is a Hell nobody will be reigning in it, nor will Satan. God will reign over Hell as He does heaven. I personally believe there won't be any sort of companionship or camaraderie in Hell. People in Hell will hate other people. And the hate people have for God today will only increase when they are sentenced to Hell.

It's good that God is dead then.
#200 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13094 posts) -

One thing I ponder on is that people (mainly kids) today are born much wiser and more aware than they were decades ago.

bnarmz

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

:lol: