Do you think there is life after death?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Yes Sir. Only two places to dwell, heaven or hell.GameGuy642003
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.
#102 Posted by wis3boi (31009 posts) -

[QUOTE="GameGuy642003"]Yes Sir. Only two places to dwell, heaven or hell.Zeviander
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

If there's a hell, we'll be in good company

#103 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36751 posts) -

I think yes, there probably is. Not life in the sense of what we experience now, but we will never cease to exist. I think the paranormal is proof of a plain of existance after we die, I do believe the dead communicate with the lving. Nothing made of matter perishes, you cannot destroy an atom. Our minds and/or "spirits" are a collection of energy and that energy doesn't just vanish when we die, it obviously goes somewhere, becomes something else...

XDeSuEhTX

Black holes would beg to differ

#104 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17379 posts) -

No.

It could be the case though that we are all subjectively immortal.

Then again that was an idea popularized by a morbidly obese, chain-smoking physicist who died at the age of 50. 

#105 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

I don't "think" there's an afterlife, I know. There's one simple fact that many overlook.

If you consider death to be the absence of having a life, then we've all been dead already. Now what came after that period of being dead? Life. None other than the one you currently reside in. You are already in your afterlife. If you've done it once, what's not to say you can't do it again, and already have many times?

When you think of the reason as to why we die in the first place it seems understandable. We die so that others may live. Herbivore's are eaten by carnivores which fuel their systems and in the long run helps them give birth to new life. The ones that aren't eaten, or the remainders of the ones that were rot away. This process feeds plant life and small insects, which then goes onto feed other animals and so on. In a far-fetched and comedic way of putting it, perhaps you was previously the chicken that your father ate shortly before creating you.

#106 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17379 posts) -

If you consider death to be the absence of having a life, then we've all been dead already. Now what came after that period of being dead? Life. None other than the one you currently reside in. You are already in your afterlife. If you've done it once, what's not to say you can't do it again, and already have many times?

sune_Gem
This is just nonsensical word play.
#107 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

-Sun_Tzu-

If you look at it like that, then it would be. It's still a fact that we was all once non-alive (dead) and are now alive. That fact alone leaves an opening for the possibility of an afterlife, don't you think? Of course we would not share the same brain and therefore memories, personality or anything that we have in this life. We wouldn't even know that a life came before at all. Just as we are now.

We're supposed to live, or be used to give life to another. Death is a natural fear for ever single living creature. Animals don't even understand it, but they still fear it. We're given this fear to motivate us to stay alive. I find it somewhat hard to believe life's just some crazy genetic accident when we've been given so many tools (be it the claws of a Lion to the speed of a Gazelle) to remain alive and with the whole recycling circle thing going on.

#108 Posted by brucewayne69 (2859 posts) -
Yes toodleedoo
#109 Posted by KHAndAnime (13291 posts) -
Earth is a spiritual place, but there is nothing after this.
#110 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

Just to add a bit more. Near death experiences are an interesting subject. People whom have technically lost all function in the brain, but managed to be revived in time. They always have some interesting tales to tell. While science has explained some of the phenomenon they claim to have experienced, not all cases have had such an easy explanation.

A comforting fact that these people who have undergone such events share is that they say they often remember feeling reluctancy to return to life.

#111 Posted by tocool340 (20465 posts) -

wow :lol: i can't believe how sad some people here are lol

GrayF0X786
What gave you that impression?...
#112 Posted by tocool340 (20465 posts) -

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"]

I believe in reincarnation, so...

If you don't get reincarnated, is there such a thing as hell? No. After you die, that's it.

BossPerson

Aren't you Jewish ?

I thought he was catholic....

#113 Posted by Aljosa23 (24603 posts) -

I think there is something. The human brain is run by electricity so that electricity could go somewhere (your thoughts, memories, etc.). I even think it will be possible to put your brain electricity into a computer like in the show Caprica. KC_Hokie
cm-punk.gif

#114 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12795 posts) -

I think there is something. The human brain is run by electricity so that electricity could go somewhere (your thoughts, memories, etc.). I even think it will be possible to put your brain electricity into a computer like in the show Caprica. KC_Hokie

The electricity in your brain is just a signaling method. The actual makeup of your thoughts are the neurons and the way they form connections to other neurons. It's this pattern of connections that make thought possible.

What you suggest is analogous to thinking you can take the electricity out of a computer and the electricity will still compute.

#115 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17379 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

If you look at it like that, then it would be. It's still a fact that we was all once non-alive (dead) and are now alive. That fact alone leaves an opening for the possibility of an afterlife, don't you think? Of course we would not share the same brain and therefore memories, personality or anything that we have in this life. We wouldn't even know that a life came before at all. Just as we are now.

We're supposed to live, or be used to give life to another. Death is a natural fear for ever single living creature. Animals don't even understand it, but they still fear it. We're given this fear to motivate us to stay alive. I find it somewhat hard to believe life's just some crazy genetic accident when we've been given so many tools (be it the claws of a Lion to the speed of a Gazelle) to remain alive and with the whole recycling circle thing going on.

But death is not merely the state of being not alive, it is the process of going from alive to not alive. Given that, to think of a baby as dead before it was conceived doesn't make sense.

And even if this were true, as you say we would not share the same brain, memories, personality, ect, so how useful is it to call what you are describing an afterlife? 

#116 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12795 posts) -

you cannot destroy an atom

XDeSuEhTX

Then explain this:

2meyr.jpg

#117 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17379 posts) -

Just to add a bit more. Near death experiences are an interesting subject. People whom have technically lost all function in the brain, but managed to be revived in time. They always have some interesting tales to tell. While science has explained some of the phenomenon they claim to have experienced, not all cases have had such an easy explanation.

A comforting fact that these people who have undergone such events share is that they say they often remember feeling reluctancy to return to life.

sune_Gem
DMT is a hell of a drug.
#118 Posted by playmynutz (5980 posts) -
Die and body decomposes, maybe an eternity later the solar system is destroyed causing a new sun and planets to form, and life is reborn leading up to the point and place where you are alive again
#119 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -
Die and body decomposes, maybe an eternity later the solar system is destroyed causing a new sun and planets to form, and life is reborn leading up to the point and place where you are alive againplaymynutz
As odd as some may think that's a hell of a lot more likely than some other theories.
#120 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12795 posts) -

[QUOTE="playmynutz"]Die and body decomposes, maybe an eternity later the solar system is destroyed causing a new sun and planets to form, and life is reborn leading up to the point and place where you are alive againAce6301
As odd as some may think that's a hell of a lot more likely than some other theories.

Not really. Your body largely replaces itself every 90 days, the fact is there's a whole lot of you everywhere. But a person couldn't collect all those cells and make a new you that's the same you. Cells are just matter. Again, it's the unique pattern of neural connections in your brain that make you who you are, not the stuff they're made of.

#121 Posted by playmynutz (5980 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="playmynutz"]Die and body decomposes, maybe an eternity later the solar system is destroyed causing a new sun and planets to form, and life is reborn leading up to the point and place where you are alive againbr0kenrabbit

Not really. Your body largely replaces itself every 90 days, the fact is there's a whole lot of you everywhere. But a person couldn't collect all those cells and make a new you that's the same you. Cells are just matter. Again, it's the unique pattern of neural connections in your brain that make you who you are, not the stuff they're made of.

make it two! eternities before everything aligns perfectly to recreate a person
#122 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12795 posts) -

make it two! eternities before everything aligns perfectly to recreate a personplaymynutz

I recognize the words, but the order they occur in doesn't mesh with what I know of English.

#123 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] This is just nonsensical word play. -Sun_Tzu-

But death is not merely the state of being not alive, it is the process of going from alive to not alive. Given that, to think of a baby as dead before it was conceived doesn't make sense.

And even if this were true, as you say we would not share the same brain, memories, personality, ect, so how useful is it to call what you are describing an afterlife? 

I couldn't really think of a word to describe the absence of life before birth other than death. Perhaps pre-birth may have been a better word, as death is often considered to be the event of loosing a life more so than the absence of having one. Either way though, I wasn't speaking of the event of loosing a life, but the period of being not being alive that we've all already experienced and all overcome.

I would say that even if you don't share the same memories and all that, yet you still share the same consciousness, it would still be you. It would be like claiming that a person who's suffered severe amnesia is a completely different form of life.

Either way though, it's nice that you didn't just completely shun and attack my theories like so many here are probably tempted to do.

#124 Posted by playmynutz (5980 posts) -

[QUOTE="playmynutz"] make it two! eternities before everything aligns perfectly to recreate a personbr0kenrabbit

I recognize the words, but the order they occur in doesn't mesh with what I know of English.

just how idk if your; br zero ken or broken. three eternities later we may be having the same conversation
#125 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="playmynutz"]Die and body decomposes, maybe an eternity later the solar system is destroyed causing a new sun and planets to form, and life is reborn leading up to the point and place where you are alive againbr0kenrabbit

More likely than heaven or hell leaves a lot of room for something to still be unlikely. That said if the universe were to recreate it's self in the exact same way again then you would also be created the exact same way. Because your brain would be the same you'd be the same. Not saying that's what happened or what I believe but it has some, if tenuous, grounding in what we can observe about the universe whereas other beliefs...don't.
#126 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12795 posts) -

More likely than heaven or hell leaves a lot of room for something to still be unlikely. That said if the universe were to recreate it's self in the exact same way again then you would also be created the exact same way. Because your brain would be the same you'd be the same. Not saying that's what happened or what I believe but it has some, if tenuous, grounding in what we can observe about the universe whereas other beliefs...don't.Ace6301

Which molecules? The ones that make you up right now or the ones that made you up 6 months ago? Because those a different molecules, and that's why we have to keep eating food: your body is always shedding and sloughing away.

#127 Posted by tocool340 (20465 posts) -

sune_Gem
For a person to be truly dead and not just dying, they need to be beyond the point of being resuscitated. Just because your heart stops doesn't mean your brain is 100% dead. Otherwise, your pretty much doing nothing but dreaming til your brain finally shuts down completely....
#128 Posted by tocool340 (20465 posts) -

I think I'll offer my brain to science just so they can figure out a way to duplicate brain cells and construct a way for it to survive outside of this body. Who knows, they maybe able to bring me back in an android-like body. One can dream at least...:P
#129 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12795 posts) -

I think I'll offer my brain to science just so they can figure out a way to duplicate brain cells and construct a way for it to survive outside of this body. Who knows, they maybe able to bring me back in an android-like body. One can dream at least...:Ptocool340

If that means no sex, count me out.

#130 Posted by playmynutz (5980 posts) -
If a clone is made from a dead person's DNA would the clone be a separate entity or that person resurrected? Cus even if what i wrote earlier were to happen, would it really be you, or someone that is exactly you living your life. Carry on fellas i am out of here
#131 Posted by tocool340 (20465 posts) -

[QUOTE="tocool340"]I think I'll offer my brain to science just so they can figure out a way to duplicate brain cells and construct a way for it to survive outside of this body. Who knows, they maybe able to bring me back in an android-like body. One can dream at least...:Pbr0kenrabbit

If that means no sex, count me out.

Eh? Maybe they'll create a body where you can experience pleasure. Once again, one can hope....
#132 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12795 posts) -

If a clone is made from a dead person's DNA would the clone be a separate entity or that person resurrected? Cus even if what i wrote earlier were to happen, would it really be you, or someone that is exactly you living your life. Carry on fellas i am out of hereplaymynutz

Ask a set of idententical twins.

#133 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]More likely than heaven or hell leaves a lot of room for something to still be unlikely. That said if the universe were to recreate it's self in the exact same way again then you would also be created the exact same way. Because your brain would be the same you'd be the same. Not saying that's what happened or what I believe but it has some, if tenuous, grounding in what we can observe about the universe whereas other beliefs...don't.br0kenrabbit

Which molecules? The ones that make you up right now or the ones that made you up 6 months ago? Because those a different molecules, and that's why we have to keep eating food: your body is always shedding and sloughing away.

The building blocks don't matter, the end result does. So long as your DNA is the same and your upbringing is the same you're still "you". You'd be indistinguishable from what you are now. Same but different. If the universe does end in some sort of big crunch and returns to a singularity which causes another big bang and this continues for eternity then eventually "you" will exist again. We can't be sure of how the universe ends and begins or if that was a one time thing. But even then it makes more sense than say the existence of a soul.

Ask a set of idententical twins

Being raised with an identical twin it's self kind of ruins the idea of the two being the same as they experience the other. To really compare them you'd need them to be separated at birth and raised by two families who are exactly the same in habit and experience to ensure they are as similar as can be. Experience heavily effects development after all.
#134 Posted by tocool340 (20465 posts) -
If a clone is made from a dead person's DNA would the clone be a separate entity or that person resurrected? Cus even if what i wrote earlier were to happen, would it really be you, or someone that is exactly you living your life. Carry on fellas i am out of hereplaymynutz
I think separate entity. That's why I said I'd rather they use my brain material if they attempt to do any clones of me. I believe I have a better chance of coming back as myself right now if they use my brain rather than simply DNA...
#135 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

tocool340

For a person to be truly dead and not just dying, they need to be beyond the point of being resuscitated. Just because your heart stops doesn't mean your brain is 100% dead. Otherwise, your pretty much doing nothing but dreaming til your brain finally shuts down completely....

I can't really say I know the medical terms and facts for all this, but to my knowledge these people are technically dead. Nothing inside them is working. There's not much difference between the state that they're in when they're resurrectable to the state that they're in when they're beyond saving.

#136 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

On the subject of reincarnation I believe it would feel instant to us. Without a brain working in our heads we'd have no perception of time. So even if it takes a thousand or so years for our atoms or energies or whatever to take the form of a new life, it would feel like no time at all.

I'm just wailing on in here I know. :oops:

#137 Posted by wis3boi (31009 posts) -

On the subject of reincarnation I believe it would feel instant to us. Without a brain working in our heads we'd have no perception of time. So even if it takes a thousand or so years for our atoms or energies or whatever to take the form of a new life, it would feel like no time at all.

sune_Gem

reincarnation debunked in 4min :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8hBGujneoU

#138 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -

[QUOTE="tocool340"][QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

I can't really say I know the medical terms and facts for all this, but to my knowledge these people are technically dead. Nothing inside them is working. There's not much difference between the state that they're in when they're resurrectable to the state that they're in when they're beyond saving.

For the most part bringing someone back from the dead in typical terms means restarting the heart. Being brain dead is typically what we would say is "dead". There is one case of a person being declared brain dead who managed to come back.
#139 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12795 posts) -

The building blocks don't matter, the end result does. So long as your DNA is the same and your upbringing is the same you're still "you". You'd be indistinguishable from what you are now. Same but different. If the universe does end in some sort of big crunch and returns to a singularity which causes another big bang and this continues for eternity then eventually "you" will exist again. We can't be sure of how the universe ends and begins or if that was a one time thing. But even then it makes more sense than say the existence of a soul. Ace6301

Why must 'you' exist again? This assumes an infinite with finite possibilities. In an infinite with infinite possibilities, there need never be another 'you'.

Being raised with an identical twin it's self kind of ruins the idea of the two being the same as they experience the other. To really compare them you'd need them to be separated at birth and raised by two families who are exactly the same in habit and experience to ensure they are as similar as can be. Experience heavily effects development after all.Ace6301

If you assume the same consciousness is applicable to all with the same DNA, then we must assume identical twins are the same person. Since we know they aren't, we can call that assumption folly.

#140 Posted by tocool340 (20465 posts) -

[QUOTE="tocool340"][QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

Like I said, your brain isn't 100% gone if you can be resuscitated. Those who can be resuscitated are only clinically dead which means they can still be saved despite their lifeless state. They need to be beyond that point to be considered dead. Where nothing in the world can bring them back....
#141 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

For the most part bringing someone back from the dead in typical terms means restarting the heart. Being brain dead is typically what we would say is "dead". There is one case of a person being declared brain dead who managed to come back. Ace6301

There was one recorded case where the woman in surgery claimed to have a outer body experience while being clinically brain dead. While in most cases you can't rely on what these people say as truth as they could be making things up or misinterpreting things. However, this woman recalled key parts of her own surgery taking place while she was brain dead.

People usually say these things are stories made up for the media attention. But if they didn't get any media attention we wouldn't even know of these events in the first place. It's like a loose/loose situation.

wis3boi

That guy used less scientific facts to back up his claim than I did.

#142 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] The building blocks don't matter, the end result does. So long as your DNA is the same and your upbringing is the same you're still "you". You'd be indistinguishable from what you are now. Same but different. If the universe does end in some sort of big crunch and returns to a singularity which causes another big bang and this continues for eternity then eventually "you" will exist again. We can't be sure of how the universe ends and begins or if that was a one time thing. But even then it makes more sense than say the existence of a soul. br0kenrabbit

Why must 'you' exist again? This assumes an infinite with finite possibilities. In an infinite with infinite possibilities, there need never be another 'you'.

Being raised with an identical twin it's self kind of ruins the idea of the two being the same as they experience the other. To really compare them you'd need them to be separated at birth and raised by two families who are exactly the same in habit and experience to ensure they are as similar as can be. Experience heavily effects development after all.Ace6301

If you assume the same consciousness is applicable to all with the same DNA, then we must assume identical twins are the same person. Since we know they aren't, we can call that assumption folly.

If the universe is remade with the same laws of physics each time then it is not an infinite possibility outcome. I never claimed you and your future self would share consciousness nor that twins do. However if you took someone with the same DNA and raised them in the exact (and I do mean exact) way they would come out the same.
#143 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="tocool340"] For a person to be truly dead and not just dying, they need to be beyond the point of being resuscitated. Just because your heart stops doesn't mean your brain is 100% dead. Otherwise, your pretty much doing nothing but dreaming til your brain finally shuts down completely....tocool340

Like I said, your brain isn't 100% gone if you can be resuscitated. Those who can be resuscitated are only clinically dead which means they can still be saved despite their lifeless state. They need to be beyond that point to be considered dead. Where nothing in the world can bring them back....

The time based on how long we have to bring someone back to life is based on our medical technology though. In the past, when the brain stopped, that was it. No chance of resurrection. What if we could, in the future, bring someone back to life who'd been dead for over a week? Would you still consider them to be alive throughout that week?

Commander Shepard was dead for multiple years before being brought back! :lol:

#144 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -
it'd be nice if someone could define death so we know what we're working with here.
#145 Posted by wis3boi (31009 posts) -

it'd be nice if someone could define death so we know what we're working with here. Rich3232

beyond resuscitation, I rekon.  Brain starved of oxygen, etc.

#146 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rich3232"]it'd be nice if someone could define death so we know what we're working with here. wis3boi

so, when most brain cells are dead? if so, then i don't think most near-death experiences fit that profile.
#147 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

wis3boi

Rightt...

*jerk off gesture*

>_>

#148 Posted by wis3boi (31009 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Rich3232"]it'd be nice if someone could define death so we know what we're working with here. Rich3232

so, when most brain cells are dead? if so, then i don't think most near-death experiences fit that profile.

NDE's are basically acid trips when your brain is shutting down

#149 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

Oh, I know, It's fvcking cool. The one thing I look forward to when slowly dying.
#150 Posted by wis3boi (31009 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Rich3232"] so, when most brain cells are dead? if so, then i don't think most near-death experiences fit that profile. Rich3232

Oh, I know, It's fvcking cool. The one thing I look forward to when slowly dying.

Assuming it's slow :P