Do you think the Government have our best interest?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) 6 months, 3 days ago

Do you think the Government have our best interest? (43 votes)

I think they do, and I am ready to be their pawn and kill people in another country because the Government said they are bad. 5%
I support them on their war on "terror" I support predator drones to blow up kids, but they do hide some stuff from us. 2%
They are ok, they have some secrets and I don't blindly listen to them, but they are good for us. 12%
I see right though them, they always deceive and manipulate us, to control us though fear. They have alot of hidden agendas. 49%
I don't trust them, but they not evil devil worshipers either. 33%

I live in the uk, how do you see your Government, do you trust them and are willing to die for them, or you see their BS?

Guy Fawkes is a hero to me, he almost burned down Parliament!

I see the Government has the Empire from star wars ruling with an iron fist controlling though fear, prime minister/president is Darth Vader, but is merely just a puppet to greater forces such as the Emperor.

#1 Posted by deeliman (1854 posts) -

No, they don't. If they did have our best interest, they would prevent you from making threads.

#2 Edited by chessmaster1989 (28615 posts) -

I'd be more willing to believe that pigs can fly.

#3 Posted by SUD123456 (4288 posts) -

@deeliman said:

No, they don't. If they did have our best interest, they would prevent you from making threads.

This is the correct answer. Please amend the poll.

#4 Edited by HoolaHoopMan (7505 posts) -

I only trust giant for-profit companies. Oh and Alex Jones, him too. They have our best interests in mind.

#5 Edited by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

@deeliman said:

This is the correct answer. Please amend the poll.

You two seem to be down, you two need to dance!

#6 Edited by Jd1680a (5822 posts) -

Most of the time, No. The main interest is keeping power and control.

Obama claiming Syria is an important American interest of a country half the size of Ohio was highly doubtful.

#7 Posted by junglist101 (5428 posts) -

Our best interest?!...

Only to the delusional sheeple.

#8 Posted by brimmul777 (891 posts) -

I trust the Canadian gov'nt alot more then I trust most other country's federal gov'nt.But I don't trust the U.S. gov'nt at all.I think they are the most untrust worthy gov'nt in the free world.

#9 Posted by GazaAli (21466 posts) -

The majority of world governments have diverged too far away from the reasons they were originally created for. Some work for the interest of a few aristocrats, some work for the super rich that control them and others exist to serve an ideology and help cultivate its growth and spread at all cost, often on the expense of the majority even if they don't realize it. In most cases its a combination of all the aforementioned given how they lead to and build on each other.
However, a very few still exist that at least genuinely try to maintain and advance the interest of their populations.

I'm not sure though what it takes to make people at least contemplate the reality of world governments regardless of their alleged identities, ideologies and affiliations.

#10 Posted by foxhound_fox (85236 posts) -

The American government? lolno

The Canadian government? lesslol, stillno

#11 Edited by Lone_Wolf_Lance (119 posts) -

It's in the farmer's best interest to maximize its cattle's productivity, so yes.

#12 Posted by Jagged3dge (3894 posts) -

Not at all.

#13 Posted by iampenguin (223 posts) -

No they don't.

One word. PRISM.

#14 Posted by SNIPER4321 (9773 posts) -

I love my country but not government. i dont trust or like any countries government currently.

the politics now adays is so corrupt that if you are a good person. you would refuse to join political party. or step foot in politics at all.

#15 Edited by GamingTitan (417 posts) -

oh god no. they care about their little individual fights in washington and who won and lost those fights. Nothing but a bunch of out of control egos in DC~

#16 Edited by DuaIFace (460 posts) -

The only reason this thread exists, is because OP doesn't know about Japan's infrastructure,
and/or about FiOS. Everyone else is running for 2nd place. It flipping sucks.

#17 Posted by GazaAli (21466 posts) -

It's in the farmer's best interest to maximize its cattle's productivity, so yes.

But its not necessarily in the cattle's best interest. In most cases the increase of productivity comes at the expense of those who employ it.

#18 Posted by Brain_Duster (312 posts) -

No.

#19 Edited by Barbariser (6637 posts) -

Democratic states conform to the will of the general public, but this doesn't necessarily mean that they have the best interests of the people at heart simply because the general public is horrendously fickle, ignorant and irrational. Autocratic states conform to the will of whichever organization or person has the monopoly of force, so that depends entirely on the goals and character of said person or organization.

#20 Edited by GazaAli (21466 posts) -

Democratic states conform to the will of the general public, but this doesn't necessarily mean that they have the best interests of the people at heart simply because the general public is horrendously fickle, ignorant and irrational. Autocratic states conform to the will of whichever organization or person has the monopoly of force, so that depends entirely on the goals and character of said person or organization.

I'm not sure of that anymore. It seems to me that people have the illusion that they are the source of power and they dictate the policies and behaviors of their governments. I don't think true democracies exist anymore, what we have instead are controlled and artificial democracies. Basically the elites from all walks of societal life and the super rich of the state contest against each other in the form of "coalitions" in their attempts to maximize their interests and further their agendas and whatever ideologies they may serve. Concurrently they agree on keeping intact some rules and a code of conduct to ensure their monopoly of political life persists undisturbed by people's awareness or any outsider trying to disturb the status quo by taking part in political life while rejecting that hypothetical code of conduct or any laid out rules for the participation in the politics of the state. They will go to any length to discredit any such outsider or alien and to neutralize the threat they perceive in him to their monopoly.

#21 Edited by WiiCubeM1 (4724 posts) -

Even if the reasons they do shit are skewed and they seem like they are school children, I do believe that our representatives in government do have what they believe to be our best interests at heart.

It's whether or not they are pursuing them correctly that is the real question.

#22 Posted by Lone_Wolf_Lance (119 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@lone_wolf_lance said:

But its not necessarily in the cattle's best interest. In most cases the increase of productivity comes at the expense of those who employ it.

Whenever the government pleases our needs it's only to stop us from complaining so we can go back to being productive, and they're doing a pretty good job at it. Sure there are lots of problems going on in the world right now but they'll get sorted out eventually. They do things in our interest for THEIR interests. What a disgusting world we live in.

#23 Posted by chessmaster1989 (28615 posts) -

Our best interest?!...

And only tools use words like sheeple.

#24 Posted by GreySeal9 (23218 posts) -

It's pretty obvious that the government doesn't have our best interest at heart, but I don't buy into the silly notion that government is inherently bad either.

#25 Posted by surrealnumber5 (22979 posts) -

only obama is good, the rest are white racists that are setting him up, he is god on earth, he is daddy.

#26 Posted by junglist101 (5428 posts) -

@junglist101 said:

Our best interest?!...

It's a good word...

#27 Posted by surrealnumber5 (22979 posts) -
#28 Edited by thegerg (12936 posts) -

No. My "best interest" isn't something that it is possible for some entity to have. This question is dumb.

#29 Edited by Kats_RK (2077 posts) -

Obviously they don't.

#30 Edited by coolkid93 (6713 posts) -

Nope... on certain things anyways.

#31 Posted by GreySeal9 (23218 posts) -
#32 Posted by GreySeal9 (23218 posts) -

@thegerg said:

No. My "best interest" isn't something that it is possible for some entity to have. This question is dumb.

I agree that the question is pretty dumb.

Much like the "do you feel guilty for being born white?" thread, this one is asking something that nobody really believes.

#33 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7505 posts) -

@chessmaster1989 said:

@junglist101 said:

Our best interest?!...

It's a good word...

No its not. If you want to come across as anything but a nutcase I'd suggest losing it from your vocabulary.

#34 Posted by lamprey263 (21005 posts) -

generally yes, except for those who are elected into office to sabotage government

#35 Posted by Serraph105 (27213 posts) -

Government officials have their own interests, it's up to you to learn which ones have some/most of yours at heart and vote accordingly. If you want a politician that has a 100% of your interests at heart you should become a politician.

#36 Posted by ferrari2001 (16282 posts) -

lol, of course the government doesn't have our best interest in mind.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#38 Edited by Barbariser (6637 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@Barbariser said:

I'm not sure of that anymore. It seems to me that people have the illusion that they are the source of power and they dictate the policies and behaviors of their governments. I don't think true democracies exist anymore, what we have instead are controlled and artificial democracies. Basically the elites from all walks of societal life and the super rich of the state contest against each other in the form of "coalitions" in their attempts to maximize their interests and further their agendas and whatever ideologies they may serve. Concurrently they agree on keeping intact some rules and a code of conduct to ensure their monopoly of political life persists undisturbed by people's awareness or any outsider trying to disturb the status quo by taking part in political life while rejecting that hypothetical code of conduct or any laid out rules for the participation in the politics of the state. They will go to any length to discredit any such outsider or alien and to neutralize the threat they perceive in him to their monopoly.

Which democracies behave in this way? As far as I can tell, only crappy third world republics with horrendous education standards and zero transparency.

#39 Posted by junglist101 (5428 posts) -

@junglist101 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

@junglist101 said:

Our best interest?!...

It's a good word...

No its not. If you want to come across as anything but a nutcase I'd suggest losing it from your vocabulary.

Then nutcase it is sheeple.

#40 Posted by CyberLips (1224 posts) -

No, but without some sort of order there would be chaos. I would like to think that we can work things out on our own, but deep down i know we can't...

#41 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24869 posts) -

@deeliman said:

#42 Posted by playmynutz (5560 posts) -

I don't even believe a government exist anymore

It has been swiped right under our feet

#43 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13442 posts) -

No, for the same reasons large corporations could care less about you. It's greed.

They care about saving their own asses in politics.

#44 Posted by The-Apostle (11913 posts) -

No.

#45 Posted by theone86 (20431 posts) -

@GreySeal9: Basically this. Government is a tool set up for a specific purpose, in that reagard yes it is set up for our best interests. It can also be misused, that's not an indictment of the tool itself but rather those who would misuse it. If you're specifically talking about the people in government then I would say probably not as it requires some degree of selling out to get into government in the first place, though I generally find myself able to find several politicians on any given occasion who seem to have my best interests at heart. If you're worried about politicians putting money over public good then why are you complaining about government? Seems to me you would be better served going after the large corporate donors who constnatly lobby these politicians, refuse to buy their products until they support reform that makes such actions unfeasible, and refuse to vote for candidates whom they buy. Politicians are selling out for large donations, therefore government is the problem! It's not the politicians themselves or the companies wheeling carts of money up to their door, no, it's the structure of government itself, of course!

#46 Posted by Cynical_Buzzard (216 posts) -

The government looks out for themselves, it has not been for the people in a very long time.

#47 Edited by Oemenia (10201 posts) -

In America its the lobbyists they care about, funny because GOP fans tend to think otherwise.

#48 Edited by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

@thegerg said:

I agree that the question is pretty dumb.

Much like the "do you feel guilty for being born white?" thread, this one is asking something that nobody really believes.

I know I could of worded the question better, but I just wanted people views on the Government. Glad alot of people see them as bad, just a shame that people can't come join together and overrun them, since they can not get along because this guy is a different skin colour, this guy supports a team I don't like, this guy is poor, ect, dividing us so the Global Elite can control us.

#49 Edited by MakeMeaSammitch (3566 posts) -

Op is pretty dumb.

You also seem to have this weird afraid of technology thing going on with the drones.

Summarized; you're dumb and paranoid.