Do you think it's okay to still use the word "gay" for fun ?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by Korvus (3223 posts) -

I never used "That's so gay" because it sounds incredibly stupid to me but sometimes I do say "you're such a retard" because I'd never use that word to describe a person with mental problems. It's also the English translation from my native language where if you said that you were basically saying "you're so weird" in a playful unkind way so sometimes I forget that English native speakers (mostly Americans in my experience...maybe because of autism rates) tend to get offended when somebody uses the word "retard"...strangely enough, mostly it's not even the person who's being called that...go figure...

Also, funnily enough, none of my gay friends minds the "that's so gay" habit...one of them normally replies "You think THAT'S gay? You need to spend more time around me". I think that's funny =P

#52 Posted by Large_Soda (8609 posts) -

@theone86 said:

@edinsftw said:

I don't care if someone gets offended by it I will still say it because words take on different meaning in the way they are used. Frankly if someone gets butthurt about it, I wouldn't want to talk to that person anyway. People get their feelings hurt too much nowdays. I will also say retarded, and I have a retarded aunt.

Words take on different meanings, but when a word that people identify as becomes used in a derogatory sense (and let's not forget that it's used in that sense specifically because homosexuals were vilified) then it has an adverse effect on those people. It really breaks people down emotionally to hear part of their own identity being used as a put-down, whether that person is intentionally trying to insult homosexuals or not. You can call it PC or thought control or whatever you want, but in the end what it really amounts to is being courteous to other people and respectful of their feelings. If that's too much of an inconvenience for you then, like I said before, get used to people calling you out and treating you differently because of it. You have every right to act like an immature child who doesn't ever stop to consider how they might be affecting others, you don't have a right to other people's approval of that behavior.

It's a shame that we live in a society where people are treated differently because of who they are. Such a shame.

#53 Edited by toast_burner (21450 posts) -

Yes words change meaning over time. But gay still does mean homosexual. Until people stop referring to homosexuals as gay, you can't say that the word now means something else.

#54 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150351 posts) -

Yes words change meaning over time. But gay still does mean homosexual. Until people stop referring to homosexuals as gay, you can't say that the word now means something else.

Don't homosexuals themselves associate that word with themselves?

#55 Posted by toast_burner (21450 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

yes, what's your point?

#56 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150351 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

yes, what's your point?

Read your last sentence over. That's my point. Who changed the meaning? And people can certainly change it again.

#57 Posted by toast_burner (21450 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

yes, what's your point?

Read your last sentence over. That's my point. Who changed the meaning? And people can certainly change it again.

How does that prove me wrong? Yes gay used to mean something else, but when was the last time you heard someone use it to mean happy (outside of a film set in the 40's)? Like I said when homosexuality stops being called gay then it will be acceptable for the word to mean something else.

You'd have to be very stupid to not see that there are homophobic connotations in using the word to mean something negative.

#58 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150351 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

yes, what's your point?

How does that prove me wrong? Yes gay used to mean something else, but when was the last time you heard someone use it to mean happy (outside of a film set in the 40's)? Like I said when homosexuality stops being called gay then it will be acceptable for the word to mean something else.

You'd have to be very stupid to not see that there are homophobic connotations in using the word to mean something negative.

Look....one tiny segment of the world can surely abrogate a word to their own use...that doesn't mean the rest of the world has to follow. Note: I'm not talking about where it's specifically meant as put down.

#59 Edited by bforrester420 (1364 posts) -

Like George Carlin, I've always been one to judge a word on the context in which it was used. You can use the word "fuck" in a million different contexts, none of which would offend me. You could use the same word in a different context and I would be offended by it. Well, not me, because I'm not easily offended, but you get my point.

It isn't the word, in and of itself, but in the meaning you give it based on your contextual use.

#60 Posted by pyro1245 (559 posts) -

do whatever you want. Don't let others get you down for using a word. If it's not hurting anyone else you should be free to do anything.

#61 Posted by toast_burner (21450 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

yes, what's your point?

Look....one tiny segment of the world can surely abrogate a word to their own use...that doesn't mean the rest of the world has to follow. Note: I'm not talking about where it's specifically meant as put down.

Are you saying that only gays call gays gays? You really are detached from reality.

#62 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150351 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

Are you saying that only gays call gays gays? You really are detached from reality.

That isn't what I said at all. Reading comprehension FTL....

#63 Posted by Netret0120 (2035 posts) -

I use it all the time and will continue to do so. I don't call gay people "gays" but i call people faggots and homos for being silly at times and those people who blast music from their cars:-\ Darn fags!!!

#64 Edited by FelipeInside (25314 posts) -

I use it sometimes as a synonym for "lame" or "crap".

Mostly with friends like "OMG, your shooting in COD is so gay"

#65 Posted by theone86 (20555 posts) -

Like George Carlin, I've always been one to judge a word on the context in which it was used. You can use the word "fuck" in a million different contexts, none of which would offend me. You could use the same word in a different context and I would be offended by it. Well, not me, because I'm not easily offended, but you get my point.

It isn't the word, in and of itself, but in the meaning you give it based on your contextual use.

It's not the context that matters here. People are not under the impression that you're trying to insult homosexuals when you use "gay" in a derogatory context. What matters is the fact that their identity is being used as a put-down in the first place. If something that is part of your identity, say black, white, or whatever ethnicity you are, were being used as a put-down it would adversely affect you too. It doesn't matter that the person saying it is not specifically trying to insult your ethnicity, it still has an adverse effect. And like I said, "gay" is only used in a derogatory sense because of prejudice against homosexuals. Using the word like that is a testament to our prejudicial attitudes towards homosexuals.

#66 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23532 posts) -

i don't use it myself but maybe because when something was odd i just called it queer.

it was always funny to me saying "gay" was a big deal but you can say queer about something that is odd and nobody thinks twice about it.

how did one turn into a "thing" but the other stayed around as common useage?

#67 Posted by theone86 (20555 posts) -

i don't use it myself but maybe because when something was odd i just called it queer.

it was always funny to me saying "gay" was a big deal but you can say queer about something that is odd and nobody thinks twice about it.

how did one turn into a "thing" but the other stayed around as common useage?

I may be wrong, but I think queer meant odd before it meant homosexual, whereas gay meant homosexual before it meant stupid, which really makes using queer to describe homosexuals as a bit of a put-down, wonder why the homosexual community adopted it in the first place. Anyway, I don't hear a lot of people use queer to describe homosexuals nowadays (I mean, it's made a comeback at the end of LGBT, but I think it more describes anyone who doesn't fit into neat categories and not homosexuals specifically).

#68 Posted by toast_burner (21450 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

Hey... maybe... if... you... learned... to... write.... better.... you...'d... be.... easier.... to... under...stand...

#69 Posted by edinsftw (4230 posts) -

@theone86 said:

@edinsftw said:

@theone86 said:

@edinsftw said:

I don't care if someone gets offended by it I will still say it because words take on different meaning in the way they are used. Frankly if someone gets butthurt about it, I wouldn't want to talk to that person anyway. People get their feelings hurt too much nowdays. I will also say retarded, and I have a retarded aunt.

Words take on different meanings, but when a word that people identify as becomes used in a derogatory sense (and let's not forget that it's used in that sense specifically because homosexuals were vilified) then it has an adverse effect on those people. It really breaks people down emotionally to hear part of their own identity being used as a put-down, whether that person is intentionally trying to insult homosexuals or not. You can call it PC or thought control or whatever you want, but in the end what it really amounts to is being courteous to other people and respectful of their feelings. If that's too much of an inconvenience for you then, like I said before, get used to people calling you out and treating you differently because of it. You have every right to act like an immature child who doesn't ever stop to consider how they might be affecting others, you don't have a right to other people's approval of that behavior.

Actually, yes it is too much of an inconvenience for me and the ones being immature are people who get affected.

What, people should apologize for having feelings? Grow up, drop the macho douchebag act, and accept that words actually do affect people. You're living in a society, get used to being judged based on what you say.

Grow up and accept the fact that i don't have to care how it affects them and i don't care if people judge me. It just doesn't matter. I don't judge and I don't care what other people say. Its not like I'll go out of my way to be a douchebag or say something to offend people on purpose. People can tell if you just talking or if you are trying to offend them. Unless if they have inept social skills.

#70 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150351 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

Hey... maybe... if... you... learned... to... write.... better.... you...'d... be.... easier.... to... under...stand...

LOL...can't respond....results to insults. Classic toast....

#71 Posted by theone86 (20555 posts) -

@edinsftw said:

@theone86 said:

@edinsftw said:

@theone86 said:

@edinsftw said:

Actually, yes it is too much of an inconvenience for me and the ones being immature are people who get affected.

What, people should apologize for having feelings? Grow up, drop the macho douchebag act, and accept that words actually do affect people. You're living in a society, get used to being judged based on what you say.

Grow up and accept the fact that i don't have to care how it affects them and i don't care if people judge me. It just doesn't matter. I don't judge and I don't care what other people say. Its not like I'll go out of my way to be a douchebag or say something to offend people on purpose. People can tell if you just talking or if you are trying to offend them. Unless if they have inept social skills.

Well you obviously do care based on the fact that you're spending so much time lamenting the fact that people are judging what you say. Like I said, this is how society works. When you do something that hurts people, other people will have an adverse reaction to you. You can either accept that or keep acting like an angsty teen all your life.

You don't care about what other people say (which is doubtful anyway), doesn't mean that other people shouldn't care about what you say.

Your intention really doesn't matter here. Gay people can tell that when you use gay in a derogatory sense you're not intentionally trying to disparage gay people, that doesn't stop it from being hurtful. Of course it is more understandable if you always thought it wasn't hurtful and nobody told you that it was, but in your case you've specifically been told that it hurts other people and you continue to do it anyway because you think homosexuals' self-esteem is worth less than your ability to use a slur word without being judged for it. Knowing that something adversely affects other people and doing it anyway is just as bad as doing something specifically to adversely affect other people.

#72 Posted by toast_burner (21450 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

LOL...can't respond....results to insults. Classic toast....

well why don't you rewrite what you meant in a clearer way? Most importantly this line "one tiny segment of the world can surely abrogate a word to their own use" who is this tiny segment you speak of? You couldn't be any less clear.

#73 Posted by Shmiity (5040 posts) -

Why would you do that? Are you 10 years old? "Gay" does not mean stupid or lame. That's honestly low class and very trashy.

#74 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (763 posts) -

I say it sometimes. I used to say it a lot in high school but, now it slips out from time to time. Like today, I got an email from Amazon Prime saying that starting in July my membership is rising up to $99 a year instead of I think $70. After reading it I just said "gay...".

#75 Edited by bforrester420 (1364 posts) -

@theone86 said:

@bforrester420 said:

It's not the context that matters here. People are not under the impression that you're trying to insult homosexuals when you use "gay" in a derogatory context. What matters is the fact that their identity is being used as a put-down in the first place. If something that is part of your identity, say black, white, or whatever ethnicity you are, were being used as a put-down it would adversely affect you too. It doesn't matter that the person saying it is not specifically trying to insult your ethnicity, it still has an adverse effect. And like I said, "gay" is only used in a derogatory sense because of prejudice against homosexuals. Using the word like that is a testament to our prejudicial attitudes towards homosexuals.

Then I guess I don't care whether they're offended or not. I don't care whether someone overhears me utter any 4-letter word and is offended by its use, and I don't care whether someone is offended over the use of 'gay' in that context either. So long as I'm not being a racist, homophobic, or misogynist, or otherwise hateful asshole; it's their problem for being offended over a word and they have to deal with it.

People need to develop thicker skin. Trying to cater your behavior and speech to be inoffensive to every group and subgroup is growing tiresome and I refuse to participate.

#77 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2419 posts) -

i personally use the f word for fun

#78 Edited by GreySeal9 (24114 posts) -

@theone86 said:

@MickeyTheNinja said:

Yes, i'm pretty sure i'm allowed to any fucking thing I want. Consequences or not, people are allowed to do what they please. It's the problem of other's to get offended, or upset. Not saying I go around calling everyone gay, but if I want to say something is "gay" or "retarded", I can. Too man limitations on the people of the world today. That's why this world is completely fucked.

Hmmmm...so you have a right to say whatever you want but other people don't have a right to be offended by it, brilliant logic there. That's actually closer to thought control than any "PC" maxim as you're trying to dictate what people should be allowed to feel whereas people who ask that words like "gay" not be used disparagingly are only trying to influence what is said in public. Besides, it's not like anyone is forcing you to do anything. Social judgments are an inherent part of human society. When you do something that affects somebody else adversely then people are going to have an adverse reaction to you, get used to it.

Well said.

I've found that the anti-PC crowd are usually crybabies who want to use offensive words and not be called out on it.

Also, these people will sit there and bitch about people being PC about minorities or whatever, but the minute something is said about Christians or the military, they get super PC. It never fails. It's like they think the term PC only applies to liberal concerns or something.