Do you think I should get my girlfriend a promise ring?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

--Sinister--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 --Sinister--
Member since 2006 • 3136 Posts

My girlfriend and I are going to be at our 4 month relationship this Wednsday and I have been thinking about giving her a promise ring or something very special like that. I've known her about 2 years and for alot of that time we were very good friends who liked each other but never dated. I turn 16 this August and she turns 16 in April. Her parents like me alot and my parents absolutly love her. Hah, even the other day her mom said Clarissa (her name) and me where going to have some 50 kids and me and Clair have talked about getting married during college or soon after. She and myself have dated a few other people but shes so much different. For the first time I honestly think I'm in love, one minute with her can feel like forever but hours seem like minutes. With other girls I dated I could see another girl and sometimes thing "Oh, I'd rather date her" or things like that, but with this girl, it's totally different. Other girls are just that...other girls. It don't matter if they have bigger 'things' or whatever, because they arn't MY girl. Clarissa and I have both told each other we want to get married someday, and I do want to get her a promise ring. I'm just not sure if I should give it to her on our 4 month or wait til something like a 1 year or just wait a few other months.

Can anybody offer me a little bit of advice? Anything would be great. (If it matters, my name is Jake)

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
If you told each other that you want to get married someday and mean it then I don't see why not.
Ryo_Kensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 Ryo_Kensen
Member since 2005 • 3480 Posts
You should give one to her at 6-8 months. But if you really want to get one now, go for it.
Berzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 Berzz
Member since 2004 • 14360 Posts
I personally think you should get a little bit further on the relationship before doing that.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like a gre -- wait, your name is Jake?! Oh God no, I'm sorry, that changes everything. You aren't meant for each other. Cheat on her and take pictures.
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
If you have to ask us...you're clearly not ready.
TaMere11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TaMere11
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
You are barely 16 and have been dating for 4 months. Answer no. You have no idea what you want in life and just watch how much people change from that age to even the end of highschool. Lets say you make it to the end of highschool together, in all likelyhood you will break up when you go to college or do whatever. I'm not saying go into this thinking it wont last but don't be so naive to think you have found "that girl" at 15 years old.
--Sinister--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 --Sinister--
Well, does anybody think it'd be a little weird for a 15 year old to get his gilfriend a promise ring? I'll probley run the idea past her older sister and see how she thinks her folks would take it. I really care about this girl and I thank god everyday I have her
EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
Pics?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts
Four months is way too early....
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

uhhhh, have you ever seen that 70's show.. It doesn't turn out well.

How bout a chastity ring instead.. and her parents will like that!

elblanquito_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 elblanquito_81
Member since 2007 • 4356 Posts
Hell no man, don't do that. You're only 15, you think that 2,3, maybe 5 years from now you two will still be together? Just enjoy what you have now and don't worry about taking things to the next level. Otherwise, the realization of things actually becoming more serious between you two might scare her away. Get her some tickets to a Hannah Montana concert or whatever the hell you young kids are into these days and just have fun.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Hell no man, don't do that. You're only 15, you think that 2,3, maybe 5 years from now you two will still be together? Just enjoy what you have now and don't worry about taking things to the next level. Otherwise, the realization of things actually becoming more serious between you two might scare her away. Get her some tickets to a Hannah Montana concert or whatever the hell you young kids are into these days and just have fun.elblanquito_81

lulz!! :)

g-unit248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 g-unit248
Member since 2005 • 7197 Posts
its a bit early, and clearly your heart is not into the idea, otherwise you wouldn't come on a form to ask...
jakecufc8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jakecufc8888
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts

Yeah, that sounds like a gre -- wait, your name is Jake?! Oh God no, I'm sorry, that changes everything. You aren't meant for each other. Cheat on her and take pictures.Dark__Link

:lol: TS, why would it matter that your name is Jake? C'mon, you're giving us Jakes a bad name.

krazykillaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 krazykillaz
Member since 2002 • 21141 Posts
If you think she'd be into it, sure go ahead. A promise ring sounds pretty lame to me though.
--Sinister--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 --Sinister--

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"]Yeah, that sounds like a gre -- wait, your name is Jake?! Oh God no, I'm sorry, that changes everything. You aren't meant for each other. Cheat on her and take pictures.jakecufc8888

:lol: TS, why would it matter that your name is Jake? C'mon, you're giving us Jakes a bad name.

Lol my bad bro. But yeah, I probley wont get her anything like that for a while. I just need to get her SOMETHING, you know?

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

If you are still together at 23 and are very happy with each other then sure go for it. 15-16 is too young for thoughts like that. Life can change A LOT for you during the next 5 years.

But what the hell do i know, blind leading the blind... :)

DarkElf2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 DarkElf2112
Member since 2008 • 892 Posts
You cannot begin comprehend the enormous changes your life will take year to year from now to age 30. Fortunately a promise ring is not legally binding so if it makes her happy, knock yourself out. But trust me, ten years from now in all likelyhood your 16 year old girlfriend will be a fond memory, not your wife.
gameroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 gameroz
Member since 2005 • 2900 Posts
wait a year
Avatar image for RKfromDownunder
RKfromDownunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RKfromDownunder
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts

Wait longer.

A better present is a good body. Get like a ring that promises that you'll never get fat. Women often tend to appreciate that. But make her get one that promises the same thing. That'd be classy.

--Sinister--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 --Sinister--

Wait longer.

A better present is a good body. Get like a ring that promises that you'll never get fat. Women often tend to appreciate that. But make her get one that promises the same thing. That'd be classy.

RKfromDownunder

I've wrestled since age 4 man. I go 171 and can bench 210 and have a six pack. I dont gotta worry bout gettin fat lol

clock_of_omens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 clock_of_omens
Member since 2005 • 5595 Posts
havent you seen that 70s show, this cant end well
Avatar image for deactivated-57a12126af02c
deactivated-57a12126af02c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57a12126af02c
Member since 2007 • 3290 Posts
[QUOTE="RKfromDownunder"]

Wait longer.

--Sinister--

I've wrestled since age 4 man. I go 171 and can bench 210 and have a six pack. I dont gotta worry bout gettin fat lol

Your 171 LBS, and only bench 210.

Anyway back on topic, honeslty dude, do what your heart says, but I will say this, dont get married too soon. Wait untill your mid to late twenties.

freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
Dude your 16 relax. Promise ring lolol
Immortalica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Immortalica
Member since 2008 • 6309 Posts
No, don't get her anything. Chicks dig that. Also, I didn't read that wall.
nickyb628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 nickyb628
Member since 2005 • 10303 Posts

Four months is way too early....LJS9502_basic

Indeed. Anything can happen in relationships unfortunately, so you have to take your time...Jake.

El-Visitante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 El-Visitante
Member since 2007 • 1137 Posts

My girlfriend and I are going to be at our 4 month relationship this Wednsday and I have been thinking about giving her a promise ring or something very special like that. I've known her about 2 years and for alot of that time we were very good friends who liked each other but never dated. I turn 16 this August and she turns 16 in April. Her parents like me alot and my parents absolutly love her. Hah, even the other day her mom said Clarissa (her name) and me where going to have some 50 kids and me and Clair have talked about getting married during college or soon after. She and myself have dated a few other people but shes so much different. For the first time I honestly think I'm in love, one minute with her can feel like forever but hours seem like minutes. With other girls I dated I could see another girl and sometimes thing "Oh, I'd rather date her" or things like that, but with this girl, it's totally different. Other girls are just that...other girls. It don't matter if they have bigger 'things' or whatever, because they arn't MY girl. Clarissa and I have both told each other we want to get married someday, and I do want to get her a promise ring. I'm just not sure if I should give it to her on our 4 month or wait til something like a 1 year or just wait a few other months.

Can anybody offer me a little bit of advice? Anything would be great. (If it matters, my name is Jake)

--Sinister--
I gave my gf a promise ring 2 years into the relationship. 1 year after that, she was no longer my gf so....
Darth_Tyrev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Darth_Tyrev
Member since 2005 • 7072 Posts
I'd wait until you're 18, if you're still together that is.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
You are both 16, been together only four months and you want to get married "some day?" Maybe you should get more acquainted with her before you start "promising" anything.
_Marisa_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 _Marisa_
Member since 2003 • 12204 Posts
Well, only you can decide if you feel you're ready or not. Personally, I think 15 is wayyy too soon for her to be thinking about marriage. I don't give relationship advice, but what I do give is what I would do in that situation and I believe more time would be needed to even begin talking about marriage.

As for the parents - highly irresponsible to mention having children to a 15 and 16 year old.
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
Sorry...that sounds kind of lame to me. I'm not your girlfriend though (that would be impossible) so if she would like it, go for it.
VacantPsalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 VacantPsalm
Member since 2008 • 3600 Posts
Do you think I should get my girlfriend a promise ring?...--Sinister--
No.
My girlfriend and I are going to be at our 4 month relationship this...--Sinister--
Hell no.
...I turn 16 this August and...--Sinister--
****ING HELL NO!
...(If it matters, my name is Jake)--Sinister--
:|...... Yea, that actually makes quite a bit of a difference. Ok, seriously now.:P You shouldn't be asking us, you should be asking her. Yea, it would be romantic it you surprised her and bla bla bla... But no, when you get engaged THAT'S when you surprise her. Making a promise to make a promise that you'll make a promise seams kind of odd. You guys are still trying each other out, settling into each other's ways. You should be as casual about things as you can at this point. Don't think about how you and her are going to be, think about who you are. You need to have plenty of UNromantic moments with each other so you'll know who she is when nothing's going on. Do something stupid and boring that has no meaning what so ever. However, I didn't just say no, (seriously that is.:P) I said talk to her about it. She might need it. Some girls are desperate for security in love, doesn't matter why they're like that, maybe their dad didn't love them enough and they need love from a male figure, doesn't matter. Don't get a promise ring for some romantic reason, get it so she'll know that she's made it, she found her love. That will give her the security she needs so she can relax. The reason why you shouldn't surprise her is cuz no matter how much she says it, there's a pretty good chance she doesn't know what she want's to do with her life. You're 16, no offense but there's a pretty good chance you might think of other things latter. Even if she would never think of leaving you, it's still a tight knot to tie, just cuz you want it doesn't mean it can't strangle you. if you just surprise her and she doesn't want that knot around her she has to either shoot you down or suffocate herself. Both decisions will hurt your relationship one way or another. So I say, ask her if she wants one in a very casual, laid back, it's cool if you don't want to manner. That way if she needs it she can have it, if she doesn't then no one's hurt. If she's all hesitant about it and you think she doesn't want it, tell her what I just told you. You understand it's a tight knot rather you want it or not. That'll give her a scapegoat so you drop the subject without anyone getting hurt.
killer_is_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 killer_is_me
Member since 2007 • 1939 Posts
Wait till at least a year.
ecoterrorist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ecoterrorist
Member since 2008 • 58 Posts
You should just throw yourself off a bridge now.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

Dating four months, just turning 16. :o

A relationship like that doesn't need something like a promise ring. Just enjoy it dude and take it easy. Cranking up the commitment at that age and after just four months is not a good idea.

TheSonOfUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheSonOfUgly
Member since 2007 • 1483 Posts

havent you seen that 70s show, this cant end wellclock_of_omens

first thing i thought of too, you need to watch The promise ring episode of that 70's show.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50587 Posts
Who made up this promise ring crap? It's a total joke.
KeizerHalil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KeizerHalil
Member since 2007 • 815 Posts

Wow... ong Gamespot and a girlfriend:P

Keep up the good work bro!

Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts

Not to be rude or anything but you're not even 16 yet and you plan on getting someone a promise ring after four month relationship. You're young and college will hit you like a ton of bricks being thrown from a building. Just wait till you go to college. If you manage to go out with her until college you'll be lucky to hold a decent relationship when you're in college. I've seen so many relationships die once college hits since you'll be separated for a long time. Plus there are so many temptations.

TheSonOfUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheSonOfUgly

Who made up this promise ring crap? It's a total joke.Chutebox

exactly, same w/ marraige

Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]Who made up this promise ring crap? It's a total joke.TheSonOfUgly

exactly, same w/ marraige

Most marriages end in devorce. I dont know why people are so quick to get hitched these days. Why so they can have to deal with all the crap that is divorce.

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
You must be more patient. You are too young and the relationship hasn't been long enough.
SpootyHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SpootyHead
Member since 2005 • 2702 Posts
Don't do it right now. You'll never know what will happen. If you two last until the end of both your senior years in high school, then maybe. However, being young, and not having a big concept of the world, if such a thing happens, then you are blessed, but it is doubtful you will marry your high school sweetheart, and 4 is a long time, but maybe you both will be more serious if you last 2 years. A promis ring will just make things feel worse when life doesn't turn out so well. but if you two stay together, good luck with the future, and congratulations.
TheSonOfUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheSonOfUgly

Don't do it right now. You'll never know what will happen. If you two last until the end of both your senior years in high school, then maybe. However, being young, and not having a big concept of the world, if such a thing happens, then you are blessed, but it is doubtful you will marry your high school sweetheart, and 4 is a long time, but maybe you both will be more serious if you last 2 years. A promis ring will just make things feel worse when life doesn't turn out so well. but if you two stay together, good luck with the future, and congratulations.SpootyHead

dam, you avatars cooler than mine

SpootyHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SpootyHead
Member since 2005 • 2702 Posts

[QUOTE="SpootyHead"]Don't do it right now. You'll never know what will happen. If you two last until the end of both your senior years in high school, then maybe. However, being young, and not having a big concept of the world, if such a thing happens, then you are blessed, but it is doubtful you will marry your high school sweetheart, and 4 is a long time, but maybe you both will be more serious if you last 2 years. A promis ring will just make things feel worse when life doesn't turn out so well. but if you two stay together, good luck with the future, and congratulations.TheSonOfUgly

but we're on the same page, so it's all good. Pink Floyd's The WAll FTW!

TheSonOfUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheSonOfUgly
[QUOTE="TheSonOfUgly"]

[QUOTE="SpootyHead"]Don't do it right now. You'll never know what will happen. If you two last until the end of both your senior years in high school, then maybe. However, being young, and not having a big concept of the world, if such a thing happens, then you are blessed, but it is doubtful you will marry your high school sweetheart, and 4 is a long time, but maybe you both will be more serious if you last 2 years. A promis ring will just make things feel worse when life doesn't turn out so well. but if you two stay together, good luck with the future, and congratulations.SpootyHead

but we're on the same page, so it's all good. Pink Floyd's The WAll FTW!

Hell Yeah!

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#48 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
I felt the same way once, then my soul got destroyed and I honestly wasn't able to feel that fuzzy feeling inside about someone for a good 3 years.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 teh_destroyer
Member since 2004 • 35328 Posts
16?you all should be getting married by now :o
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts

Yeah, that sounds like a gre -- wait, your name is Jake?! Oh God no, I'm sorry, that changes everything. You aren't meant for each other. Cheat on her and take pictures.Dark__Link

That way you'll atleast have the good favor on OT.