do you think i can dispute this parking ticket?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JustSignedUp (1148 posts) -

yesterday i was designated driver for my friend's 21st birthday and I stopped behind a taxi in a no stopping zone to pick up my friends. on the left side of the street there was a tow truck and traffic ticket enforcers there giving tickets to cars.

After 1 minute my friend got in the car, but for some reason my two other friends continued walking and crossed the street toward a club. My other friend stood out the car and was yelling at them. Then they came and he started talking to them about their plans. Then I notice some fat f*ck lady ticket enforcer accross the street looking toward my direction for 2 seconds and writing at the same time. I was watching her but I didnt actually think she would write me a ticket for picking up my friends.

So I say to my friend whos drunk and talking to my other friends "hey shes writing us a ticket" but I didnt actually believe it. I would have drove off but he was standing right next to the van, then the next thing I know she walks over toward my window and throws the ticket in my window and says "youre not very smart, i was standing right there." and all i could think was WTF, then she went to the back and started taking a picture. so my drunk friend (who owns the van) started talking to her and started arguing with her, but in the end we were stuck with a ticket. wtf, I didnt even think that someone would be that much of a douchebag to write a ticket to someone who's just stopped for 2 minutes picking up their friends. my car wasnt even off and my signal light was on. do you think this could be disputed?

#2 Posted by airshocker (30325 posts) -

So...lesson learned?

#3 Posted by Mafiree (3704 posts) -
You stopped in a no stopping zone......... What is there to dispute?
#4 Posted by lundy86_4 (43728 posts) -

Hard to dispute that, especially without knowing anything regarding by-laws or parking enforcement in your area. You stopped... Sucks.

#5 Posted by stanleycup98 (6144 posts) -
You were in a no parking zone. That's one of the situations in which you can receive a ticket while you are physically in the car. And you saw the ticket officers. You deserve it.
#6 Posted by MrGeezer (56665 posts) -
This never would have happened if you hadn't been a designated driver.
#7 Posted by thegerg (15644 posts) -
Of course you can dispute it, though I doubt you'll be successful.
#8 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4728 posts) -

You stopped in a no-stop zone. Not really much you can do.

#9 Posted by KiIIyou (27151 posts) -
I won't let you
#10 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
Get back at the cops by writting them tickets when they do stuff like that. I took a picture once when I saw a cop parking in a fire lane that said 'all cars will be towed'.
#11 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151689 posts) -
Ticket is legit....but it's not your car so it doesn't affect you...just the registered owner.
#12 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20895 posts) -
Ticket is legit....but it's not your car so it doesn't affect you...just the registered owner.LJS9502_basic
Your drunk friend owes you anyway. He ruined your night. Good call LJS.
#13 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15664 posts) -
No. It's not being, as you called it, a douchebag for doing their jobs. If you knew it was a no-standing zone and still parked there, you deserved that ticket.
#14 Posted by Shmiity (5171 posts) -

The amount of time/money it will take to go to the court house to fight the ticket will exceed the cost of the ticket. Pay it.

#15 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15664 posts) -

The amount of time/money it will take to go to the court house to fight the ticket will exceed the cost of the ticket. Pay it.

Shmiity
And the person will still have to pay the ticket, as it is a complete legit ticket.
#16 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
What part of no stopping zone means stop to you? Don't ever follow the example of cabbies. They park in no-park zones, handicapped spots, all sorts of places and just don't care. Ticket lady's right, you're not very smart.
#17 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
it said no stop zone... lol idk
#18 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]What part of no stopping zone means stop to you? Don't ever follow the example of cabbies. They park in no-park zones, handicapped spots, all sorts of places and just don't care. Ticket lady's right, you're not very smart.

yup. ever watch parking wars? the workers on there always say the taxis is the biggest issue and always getting tickets
#19 Posted by clyde46 (46788 posts) -
The sign specified that its a no stopping zone. You havent got a leg to stand on mate.
#20 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

Shmiity

Agreed. Pick your battles TC, not everything deserves to be fought over.

#21 Posted by lamprey263 (24412 posts) -
was it actually designated as a no stopping zone or a no parking zone... if it was no parking then you were there briefly to pick up then I think it is disputable, if it actually said "no stopping" then you're probably out of luck, but given it's a non moving violation I don't imagine it'd be that big of a ticket, plus parking tickets aren't generally that much, and you don't have to worry about insurance going up off that, I'd just ask your friends to pay for it since they were dillydallying so long you ended up getting slapped with the ticket
#22 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

So...lesson learned?

airshocker

Is the lesson that officers have arbitrary ticket quotas?

#23 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shmiity"]

leviathan91

Agreed. Pick your battles TC, not everything deserves to be fought over.

Yep, this is true.

#24 Posted by airshocker (30325 posts) -

TacticalDesire

The person who gave him a ticket wasn't an officer.

And we don't have quotas.

#25 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

airshocker

we as in you are a meter maid?

are u richie B?

richie-.jpg

#26 Posted by thegerg (15644 posts) -

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

airshocker

Parking enforcement officers are officers.
#27 Posted by jrorl63 (723 posts) -
Idiot
#28 Posted by airshocker (30325 posts) -

Parking enforcement officers are officers. thegerg

They are not police officers.

#29 Posted by airshocker (30325 posts) -

are u richie B?

k2theswiss

We as in Police Officers.

#30 Posted by thegerg (15644 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"]Parking enforcement officers are officers. airshocker

They are not police officers.

Police officers aren't the only type of officer, you know.
#31 Posted by iowastate (7873 posts) -

yesterday i was designated driver for my friend's 21st birthday and I stopped behind a taxi in a no stopping zone to pick up my friends. on the left side of the street there was a tow truck and traffic ticket enforcers there giving tickets to cars.

After 1 minute my friend got in the car, but for some reason my two other friends continued walking and crossed the street toward a club. My other friend stood out the car and was yelling at them. Then they came and he started talking to them about their plans. Then I notice some fat f*ck lady ticket enforcer accross the street looking toward my direction for 2 seconds and writing at the same time. I was watching her but I didnt actually think she would write me a ticket for picking up my friends.

So I say to my friend whos drunk and talking to my other friends "hey shes writing us a ticket" but I didnt actually believe it. I would have drove off but he was standing right next to the van, then the next thing I know she walks over toward my window and throws the ticket in my window and says "youre not very smart, i was standing right there." and all i could think was WTF, then she went to the back and started taking a picture. so my drunk friend (who owns the van) started talking to her and started arguing with her, but in the end we were stuck with a ticket. wtf, I didnt even think that someone would be that much of a douchebag to write a ticket to someone who's just stopped for 2 minutes picking up their friends. my car wasnt even off and my signal light was on. do you think this could be disputed?

JustSignedUp

you were stopped in a no stopping zone - it does not matter if the car was running or not and it does not matter how long you were stopped/parked. it is a violation.

#32 Posted by junglist101 (5462 posts) -

Who cares just pay it or let your friend pay.

#33 Posted by Leejjohno (14088 posts) -

I would argue it's not your vehicle or ticket.

#34 Posted by johnd13 (8441 posts) -

you were stopped in a no stopping zone - it does not matter if the car was running or not and it does not matter how long you were stopped/parked. it is a violation.

iowastate

This. Also if your friend or anyone else says that YOU have to pay the ticket punch them in the face. Your friend' s van, his problem.

#35 Posted by lamprey263 (24412 posts) -
TC, do read this as I'm sure as OT is concerned this might be your best shot at contesting here's how I'd handle it, contest the ticket outright, I know some citations have sometimes 3 sections, one admitting guilt, one admitting guilt but it was circumstantial, and one to contest the citation... now, the citation itself is no evidence of the violation, if you were to contest it then your next step would be to file a letter with the court clerk's office requesting all discovery for your citation, take at least two copies to a clerk and they'll stamp a "original" on their copy and "copy" on your copy for your own files and proof the letter was formally submitted (you'll want to take that copy to court) requesting discovery is important, since as a defendant it is your right to be presented with all evidence against you by the opposing party before your trial so you can be prepared to challenge that evidence, therefore if your request for discovery was not fulfilled (as likely is the case with small matters like this), there's basically no evidence that can be used against you in court then, if you can behave yourself and don't get tricked into telling your side of the story, that means you observing your right to not admit guilt, then the case gets thrown out, no parking ticket... not that I imagine your parking ticket is much anyways but trying this out might actually be fun anyhow, I remembered it making the news where I live many years back that Bill Gates got a ticket for speeding, did the same thing I just described above, and he ended up beating the rap, it came to mind again several years back when I had a friend that got a DUI, so I told him what I just described to you, he went to court, filed for discovery, never got it, showed up at his court date, showed them he requested and did not receive the discovery, he got yelled at by the judge but he didn't get the huge fine he had coming to him, or his license suspended, all because (as far as court went) he played it smart
#36 Posted by Serraph105 (28275 posts) -
[QUOTE="k2theswiss"][QUOTE="XilePrincess"]What part of no stopping zone means stop to you? Don't ever follow the example of cabbies. They park in no-park zones, handicapped spots, all sorts of places and just don't care. Ticket lady's right, you're not very smart.

yup. ever watch parking wars? the workers on there always say the taxis is the biggest issue and always getting tickets

they have show called parking wars now? That makes me a little sad.
#37 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
You stopped in an area designated "no stopping". What don't you grasp about this concept? I'm genuinely interested, as a security guard. I'd like some insight into the mind of the common driver who believes "no stopping" means "you can stop just for a minute, or twenty, if you deem it important enough to inconvenience everyone else, including the fire department". You got a citation for breaking the law. Sucks to be you. You should move to Winnipeg, where the Parking Authority treat you as a "customer" rather than a "criminal" and give you time to move your car.
#39 Posted by thegerg (15644 posts) -
[QUOTE="lamprey263"]TC, do read this as I'm sure as OT is concerned this might be your best shot at contesting here's how I'd handle it, contest the ticket outright, I know some citations have sometimes 3 sections, one admitting guilt, one admitting guilt but it was circumstantial, and one to contest the citation... now, the citation itself is no evidence of the violation, if you were to contest it then your next step would be to file a letter with the court clerk's office requesting all discovery for your citation, take at least two copies to a clerk and they'll stamp a "original" on their copy and "copy" on your copy for your own files and proof the letter was formally submitted (you'll want to take that copy to court) requesting discovery is important, since as a defendant it is your right to be presented with all evidence against you by the opposing party before your trial so you can be prepared to challenge that evidence, therefore if your request for discovery was not fulfilled (as likely is the case with small matters like this), there's basically no evidence that can be used against you in court then, if you can behave yourself and don't get tricked into telling your side of the story, that means you observing your right to not admit guilt, then the case gets thrown out, no parking ticket... not that I imagine your parking ticket is much anyways but trying this out might actually be fun anyhow, I remembered it making the news where I live many years back that Bill Gates got a ticket for speeding, did the same thing I just described above, and he ended up beating the rap, it came to mind again several years back when I had a friend that got a DUI, so I told him what I just described to you, he went to court, filed for discovery, never got it, showed up at his court date, showed them he requested and did not receive the discovery, he got yelled at by the judge but he didn't get the huge fine he had coming to him, or his license suspended, all because (as far as court went) he played it smart

Keep in mind that most parking citations are not a result of criminal violations, but rather violations of civil code. The state generally has no obligation to provide discovery for such. Also, the state has no obligation to prove guilt. Civil proceedings are intended to prove liability.
#40 Posted by TheStatusQuo (4994 posts) -

Just pay the ticket. You messed up. Learn your lesson.

#41 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

are u richie B?

airshocker

Down here, park rangers and game rangers all have to go through police training and have the same powers as police officers when it comes to arresting subjects. I don't know about them giving out tickets for speeding unless it is within park bounderies though.

#42 Posted by JustSignedUp (1148 posts) -
ok my bro didnt mention in the OP that it was a SUNDAY NIGHT with little to no traffic around, yeah its a legit ticket and you have to pay it but dont you think it should be understandable that someone would want to dispute this just because some fat **** was being a stupid ****? Sunday night, no traffic around, picking up drunk friends as a designated driver, people are supposed to respect designated drivers thats why some bars and places give them free drinks to encourage it, so they should encourage this dispute.... noobs! like maybe if it was daytime with heavy traffic I would understand but cmon.. a SUNDAY NIGHT? LMAO REALLY!? dont go by the books go by the logic
#43 Posted by xscrapzx (6423 posts) -

I can't believe you were dumb enough to stop there considering the circumstances.

#44 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

TC, do read this as I'm sure as OT is concerned this might be your best shot at contesting here's how I'd handle it, contest the ticket outright, I know some citations have sometimes 3 sections, one admitting guilt, one admitting guilt but it was circumstantial, and one to contest the citation... now, the citation itself is no evidence of the violation, if you were to contest it then your next step would be to file a letter with the court clerk's office requesting all discovery for your citation, take at least two copies to a clerk and they'll stamp a "original" on their copy and "copy" on your copy for your own files and proof the letter was formally submitted (you'll want to take that copy to court) requesting discovery is important, since as a defendant it is your right to be presented with all evidence against you by the opposing party before your trial so you can be prepared to challenge that evidence, therefore if your request for discovery was not fulfilled (as likely is the case with small matters like this), there's basically no evidence that can be used against you in court then, if you can behave yourself and don't get tricked into telling your side of the story, that means you observing your right to not admit guilt, then the case gets thrown out, no parking ticket... not that I imagine your parking ticket is much anyways but trying this out might actually be fun anyhow, I remembered it making the news where I live many years back that Bill Gates got a ticket for speeding, did the same thing I just described above, and he ended up beating the rap, it came to mind again several years back when I had a friend that got a DUI, so I told him what I just described to you, he went to court, filed for discovery, never got it, showed up at his court date, showed them he requested and did not receive the discovery, he got yelled at by the judge but he didn't get the huge fine he had coming to him, or his license suspended, all because (as far as court went) he played it smartlamprey263

That's the case with any charge (being smart that is). I think it's too easy to be charged with a crime and that so many people take plea bargins without realizing the consequences of their inaction. While some people should be charged and convicted, there are some cases where those charges shouldn't be followed through.

#45 Posted by thegerg (15644 posts) -

[QUOTE="lamprey263"]TC, do read this as I'm sure as OT is concerned this might be your best shot at contesting here's how I'd handle it, contest the ticket outright, I know some citations have sometimes 3 sections, one admitting guilt, one admitting guilt but it was circumstantial, and one to contest the citation... now, the citation itself is no evidence of the violation, if you were to contest it then your next step would be to file a letter with the court clerk's office requesting all discovery for your citation, take at least two copies to a clerk and they'll stamp a "original" on their copy and "copy" on your copy for your own files and proof the letter was formally submitted (you'll want to take that copy to court) requesting discovery is important, since as a defendant it is your right to be presented with all evidence against you by the opposing party before your trial so you can be prepared to challenge that evidence, therefore if your request for discovery was not fulfilled (as likely is the case with small matters like this), there's basically no evidence that can be used against you in court then, if you can behave yourself and don't get tricked into telling your side of the story, that means you observing your right to not admit guilt, then the case gets thrown out, no parking ticket... not that I imagine your parking ticket is much anyways but trying this out might actually be fun anyhow, I remembered it making the news where I live many years back that Bill Gates got a ticket for speeding, did the same thing I just described above, and he ended up beating the rap, it came to mind again several years back when I had a friend that got a DUI, so I told him what I just described to you, he went to court, filed for discovery, never got it, showed up at his court date, showed them he requested and did not receive the discovery, he got yelled at by the judge but he didn't get the huge fine he had coming to him, or his license suspended, all because (as far as court went) he played it smartleviathan91

That's the case with any charge (being smart that is). I think it's too easy to be charged with a crime and that so many people take plea bargins without realizing the consequences of their inaction. While some people should be charged and convicted, there are some cases where those charges shouldn't be followed through.

No, that's not the case with any charge. A (civil) charge like this, for example, should not and can not be handled by a criminal charge.
#46 Posted by JohnF111 (14098 posts) -
[QUOTE="JustSignedUp"]ok my bro didnt mention in the OP that it was a SUNDAY NIGHT with little to no traffic around, yeah its a legit ticket and you have to pay it but dont you think it should be understandable that someone would want to dispute this just because some fat **** was being a stupid ****? Sunday night, no traffic around, picking up drunk friends as a designated driver, people are supposed to respect designated drivers thats why some bars and places give them free drinks to encourage it, so they should encourage this dispute.... noobs! like maybe if it was daytime with heavy traffic I would understand but cmon.. a SUNDAY NIGHT? LMAO REALLY!? dont go by the books go by the logic

Yeah because on a highway it's perfectly fine to drive on the hard shoulder if there's no traffic, rules are rules and you can't just expect everyone to bend over backwards for you just because it wasn't busy and was at night. Deal with it.
#47 Posted by thegerg (15644 posts) -

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

are u richie B?

WhiteKnight77

Down here, park rangers and game rangers all have to go through police training and have the same powers as police officers when it comes to arresting subjects. I don't know about them giving out tickets for speeding unless it is within park bounderies though.

ok