Do you think Guitar Hero is kinda ruining the 'real' guitar?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zepman71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zepman71
Member since 2005 • 4120 Posts

I'm not too sure about Guitar Hero....I mean, it looks fun and all, but I'd rather spend my time getting better at the real guitar. The bad thing is I think many people will go for Guitar Hero as its much easier than learning the real guitar (A conversation with one of my friends was a good case in point, where he said that he played Guitar Hero because he couldn't be bothered to learn the real one). Hopefully to alot of people this will be a sort of a gateway thing where they play Guitar Hero and move on to the learn the real guitar....but I can't help but think this isn't true....

What do you guys think?

nickyb628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 nickyb628
Member since 2005 • 10303 Posts

Any videogame is keeping someone away from learning any instrument, or learning anything for that matter, although GH seems to be the most popular. I do think however, that if someone really wanted to learn the guitar, they would do it. That goes for anything, actually.

FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
I would hope that people are stupid enough to think that. But then I begin to think about my trips to the mall, and I think about the food court and I realize that maybe, unfortunately, they are.
Cerussite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cerussite
Member since 2007 • 3084 Posts
Guitar Hero is a video game, nothing more. It just happens to have a guitar controller, and even that's optional.
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
If anything, i think it generates more interest in actual guitar playing,
aaaaarrrrggggg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 aaaaarrrrggggg
Member since 2005 • 13979 Posts
Most people play Guitar Hero because it provides them with more entertainment than playing the actual guitar. Not everyone is willing to spend years mastering an instrument when they can jam to their favourite tunes with none. It's not a question of laziness either, instruments aren't all made to be fun and games. Learning to pluck strings isn't as entertaining as playing a videogame or some people. Why do i play Guitar Hero and not the actual instrument? Well, i just find it to be more fun, nothing more.
carl2tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 carl2tan
Member since 2003 • 1385 Posts
I actually think guitar hero is pushing some people to learn the real guitar. I found an old dusty guitar in my attic and started trying it out after playing guitar hero for a year. Its kinda like how kids play gran-turismo, and then by the time thier 16 they know abit about cars, and then they get into mechanics and other car stuff. I think guitar hero is helping real guitar, not ruining it.
FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts
Dude real guitars are for old people.
TallicaFan2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 TallicaFan2005
Member since 2005 • 4126 Posts

That's like saying DDR ruins dancing......

I'm going to play Guitar Hero right now..LOL

anman4707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 anman4707
Member since 2006 • 590 Posts

The only thing Guitar Hero does is make even more people that decide to learn how to play the guitar but eventually go nowhere with it. I'm very tired of it all.dreDREb13

yeah i agree. people see what can be done on guitar with loadds of practice then they try for themslevs.\

and also i play reall guitar, maybe for about 5 years now, and im no where good enough to play allot of the songs on gh so its cool to kinda play them pretend

cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cornholio157
Member since 2005 • 4603 Posts
giutar hero hasnt messe dw/ me wanting to learn guitar i still want to as much as i did befor ei ever heard of guitar hero, just a fun game
BiafraBeliever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 BiafraBeliever
Member since 2004 • 4622 Posts

If anything, i think it generates more interest in actual guitar playing,bluezy

you sir, are correct.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

The only thing Guitar Hero does is make even more people that decide to learn how to play the guitar but eventually go nowhere with it. I'm very tired of it all.dreDREb13
Seriously.

There's already enough kids that suck at guitar anyways, we don't need any more.

dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts
i play real guitar, and guitar hero, GH is just a game...
JumpingMirrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 JumpingMirrior
Member since 2004 • 11495 Posts
Depends on the person. I know some peopel who, after mastering GH, decided to play real guitar. I also know people who are lazy who only play GH.
_Crim_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _Crim_
Member since 2007 • 1305 Posts
Ive been playing Guitar Hero for a year, beaten all of them on expert, and have decided to start playing real guitar. Im getting one for Christmas.
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts

No.

The game is a godsend.

Now people who can't play guitar won't bother picking one up to make crappy songs I have to listen to.

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
Yes, because guitar Hero makes people go "ZOMFG! I CAN LEIK, PLAY WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE ON HARD MODE LOZLZOLOLZ" which really isn't anything special. I don't hate guitar hero, i just hate people (especially the preppy conformist kids, mostly the girls that really seek attention...) that brag about being able to play a certain song on guitar hero, and they expect people to be impressed by that like how someone would be impressed by someone playing BYOB on a REAL guitar. Heck, it d be the same as me running around screaming i can snipe people from over a km away. So... ya, it is ruining regular guitar because less people will be inspired to pick up a real guitar when they can just "play" it on GH (i know it sounds dumb, but some people will think like that).
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MoonFoxx
Member since 2005 • 76355 Posts
Not everyone is born with musical talent.. and some people can't learn very easily. I took piano lessons when I was younger but it was difficult for me. I really enjoy playing Guitar Hero and it's one of my favorite games.
Greyhound222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Greyhound222
Member since 2005 • 2899 Posts

[QUOTE="bluezy"]If anything, i think it generates more interest in actual guitar playing,BiafraBeliever

you sir, are correct.

Same. PS:John Frusciante kicks....stuff.
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Def_Jef88
Member since 2006 • 17441 Posts
meh, i would buy guitar hero, but it kinda feels like a waste when ive got a perfectly good Bass that i should be playing. Besides, it feels alot better when you learn a song for real then playing it on GH.
Dethshoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Dethshoot
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
because of Guitar Hero, I now play a real guitar. I love both, but they're wildly different.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The common mistake most people make is thinking that playing Guitar Hero will make you better at playing guitar. Guitar Hero might actually be helping the guitar industry by getting people interested in playing guitar.
Bauers-Twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bauers-Twin
Member since 2007 • 14150 Posts

Yes, because guitar Hero makes people go "ZOMFG! I CAN LEIK, PLAY WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE ON HARD MODE LOZLZOLOLZ" which really isn't anything special. I don't hate guitar hero, i just hate people (especially the preppy conformist kids, mostly the girls that really seek attention...) that brag about being able to play a certain song on guitar hero, and they expect people to be impressed by that like how someone would be impressed by someone playing BYOB on a REAL guitar. Heck, it d be the same as me running around screaming i can snipe people from over a km away. So... ya, it is ruining regular guitar because less people will be inspired to pick up a real guitar when they can just "play" it on GH (i know it sounds dumb, but some people will think like that).Setsa

BYOB? That song sucks though.. :(

Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Thechaninator
Member since 2005 • 5187 Posts

The common mistake most people make is thinking that playing Guitar Hero will make you better at playing guitar. Guitar Hero might actually be helping the guitar industry by getting people interested in playing guitar.foxhound_fox

Actually there is one way it helps and that is to get you used to moving your fingers, especially the pinky. I have been playing GH for about a year now and I play expert quite well. I can move my fingers much faster and easier now thanks to the game.

My being able to play GH as well as I do has made me decide to start actually trying to learn real guitar. Unfortunately I am short on time and money so I am self-teaching. Currently learning my first song, Seven Nation Army by White Stripes. Definitely easier I think with the GH experience especially the hammer on/ pull off part of the chorus which I got right first try, something I owe thanks to GH for.

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts

[QUOTE="Setsa"]Yes, because guitar Hero makes people go "ZOMFG! I CAN LEIK, PLAY WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE ON HARD MODE LOZLZOLOLZ" which really isn't anything special. I don't hate guitar hero, i just hate people (especially the preppy conformist kids, mostly the girls that really seek attention...) that brag about being able to play a certain song on guitar hero, and they expect people to be impressed by that like how someone would be impressed by someone playing BYOB on a REAL guitar. Heck, it d be the same as me running around screaming i can snipe people from over a km away. So... ya, it is ruining regular guitar because less people will be inspired to pick up a real guitar when they can just "play" it on GH (i know it sounds dumb, but some people will think like that).Bauers-Twin

BYOB? That song sucks though.. :(

What music u like/dislike is all opinion :P And it's hard to play on guitar, so... ya....
Erasorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Erasorn
Member since 2004 • 14502 Posts
Guitar Hero is just a game, it has nothing to do with actually playing an instrument. You just do it for fun and go "Hey guys, I'm a rock star" but instead of holding a real air guitar you're holding a fake ukulele sized electric guitar controller. How awesome is that?
Erasorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Erasorn
Member since 2004 • 14502 Posts
Yes, because guitar Hero makes people go "ZOMFG! I CAN LEIK, PLAY WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE ON HARD MODE LOZLZOLOLZ" which really isn't anything special. I don't hate guitar hero, i just hate people (especially the preppy conformist kids, mostly the girls that really seek attention...) that brag about being able to play a certain song on guitar hero, and they expect people to be impressed by that like how someone would be impressed by someone playing BYOB on a REAL guitar. Heck, it d be the same as me running around screaming i can snipe people from over a km away. So... ya, it is ruining regular guitar because less people will be inspired to pick up a real guitar when they can just "play" it on GH (i know it sounds dumb, but some people will think like that).Setsa
So, if a person says "Hey! I just mastered Halo 3 on Legendary last night, it was awesome!" you'd dissmiss it saying "Big Deal! it's not like you defeated an alien invasion in real life.." ? :P
stevendiep_100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 stevendiep_100
Member since 2004 • 2193 Posts
"If they spend half the time playing that videogame they could learn howto play a real guitar"
-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#31 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
I play drums:D
Bauers-Twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bauers-Twin
Member since 2007 • 14150 Posts

[QUOTE="Setsa"]Yes, because guitar Hero makes people go "ZOMFG! I CAN LEIK, PLAY WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE ON HARD MODE LOZLZOLOLZ" which really isn't anything special. I don't hate guitar hero, i just hate people (especially the preppy conformist kids, mostly the girls that really seek attention...) that brag about being able to play a certain song on guitar hero, and they expect people to be impressed by that like how someone would be impressed by someone playing BYOB on a REAL guitar. Heck, it d be the same as me running around screaming i can snipe people from over a km away. So... ya, it is ruining regular guitar because less people will be inspired to pick up a real guitar when they can just "play" it on GH (i know it sounds dumb, but some people will think like that).Erasorn
So, if a person says "Hey! I just mastered Halo 3 on Legendary last night, it was awesome!" you'd dissmiss it saying "Big Deal! it's not like you defeated an alien invasion in real life.." ? :P

hahah good point.

cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cornholio157

but guitar hero is limited to what songs r on the game even w/ the modded gh2 game theres only a short list of songs to choose from and only avalibleon scorehero ther not making new ones or taking requests for new midi files of songs and wont give the info on how to do it ne way and the guy who made GHEX pulled it off the downloads besides to play a modded game u need a mod chip and ur casual ps2 gamer isnt gonan rip there ps2 apart to put one in just to mod gh2

u could also say the same thign about rock band keeping ppl from wanting to be in a real band w/ all the pressures and travel when they can just sit on there couch and play plastic intruments on a game

Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Def_Jef88

[QUOTE="Setsa"]Yes, because guitar Hero makes people go "ZOMFG! I CAN LEIK, PLAY WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE ON HARD MODE LOZLZOLOLZ" which really isn't anything special. I don't hate guitar hero, i just hate people (especially the preppy conformist kids, mostly the girls that really seek attention...) that brag about being able to play a certain song on guitar hero, and they expect people to be impressed by that like how someone would be impressed by someone playing BYOB on a REAL guitar. Heck, it d be the same as me running around screaming i can snipe people from over a km away. So... ya, it is ruining regular guitar because less people will be inspired to pick up a real guitar when they can just "play" it on GH (i know it sounds dumb, but some people will think like that).cornholio157

but guitar hero is limited to what songs r on the game even w/ the modded gh2 game theres only a short list of songs to choose from and only avalibleon scorehero ther not making new ones or taking requests for new midi files of songs and wont give the info on how to do it ne way and the guy who made GHEX pulled it off the downloads besides to play a modded game u need a mod chip and ur casual ps2 gamer isnt gonan rip there ps2 apart to put one in just to mod gh2

um... what?
cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 cornholio157
[QUOTE="cornholio157"]

[QUOTE="Setsa"]Yes, because guitar Hero makes people go "ZOMFG! I CAN LEIK, PLAY WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE ON HARD MODE LOZLZOLOLZ" which really isn't anything special. I don't hate guitar hero, i just hate people (especially the preppy conformist kids, mostly the girls that really seek attention...) that brag about being able to play a certain song on guitar hero, and they expect people to be impressed by that like how someone would be impressed by someone playing BYOB on a REAL guitar. Heck, it d be the same as me running around screaming i can snipe people from over a km away. So... ya, it is ruining regular guitar because less people will be inspired to pick up a real guitar when they can just "play" it on GH (i know it sounds dumb, but some people will think like that).Def_Jef88

um... what?

uve nvr heard of modded gh2 games theres a video about how to do it on youtube and theres alot of videos of ppl playingsongs on expert like through the fire and flames probly most popular 1 i know its on gh3 btw butit was modded gh2 first

Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Def_Jef88
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="cornholio157"]

[QUOTE="Setsa"]Yes, because guitar Hero makes people go "ZOMFG! I CAN LEIK, PLAY WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE ON HARD MODE LOZLZOLOLZ" which really isn't anything special. I don't hate guitar hero, i just hate people (especially the preppy conformist kids, mostly the girls that really seek attention...) that brag about being able to play a certain song on guitar hero, and they expect people to be impressed by that like how someone would be impressed by someone playing BYOB on a REAL guitar. Heck, it d be the same as me running around screaming i can snipe people from over a km away. So... ya, it is ruining regular guitar because less people will be inspired to pick up a real guitar when they can just "play" it on GH (i know it sounds dumb, but some people will think like that).cornholio157

um... what?

uve nvr heard of modded gh2 games theres a video about how to do it on youtube and theres alot of videos of ppl playingsongs on expert like through the fire and flames probly most popular 1 i know its on gh3 btw butit was modded gh2 first

ist kinda hard 2 undrstan wat ur sayingwhen u tipe leik tis
ak618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ak618
Member since 2005 • 1242 Posts

I play Donkey Konga because I'm too lazy to learn the bongos.

Nah jk, but really I don't think Guitar Hero has anything to do with it. There will always be a surplus of guitar players, believe me the people that substitute the video game for the real thing wouldn't make good guitarists anyway.

The one thing it does do is make people think that something like "Freebird" is an incredible guitar song and "Jessica" is easy. NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Putzwapputzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 Putzwapputzen
Member since 2005 • 4462 Posts
its just a game man, like halo or COD. video games are not that productive, they are just fun.
Hellraiser3899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hellraiser3899
Member since 2005 • 10060 Posts
I caught one of my friends pretending he was playing guitar hero, I thought, he just Air Guitar Heroed... this is a new level of jackassness.
R0cky_Racc00n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R0cky_Racc00n
Member since 2006 • 5088 Posts
Rock music ruined the 'real' guitar before guitar hero. The 'real' guitar goes way back in the day of first century spain I believe. The original music from the guitar is way different and mostly more complex than rock music. That's not to say rock music is bad, it's just not the 'real' guitar.
Avatar image for Console_Gamer93
Console_Gamer93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Console_Gamer93
Member since 2007 • 2712 Posts

I bought Guitar Hero and i had been playing guitar for 3 years prior to that. I find Guitar Hero harder than real guitar. (btw i don't suck at GH, I beat GH1 and am 6-7 songs away from beating GH2).

I think GH is helping out the real guitar because people who play it might pick up the real guitar. GH is helping song/CD sales more than anything.

reddevilyi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 reddevilyi
Member since 2006 • 740 Posts

Rock music ruined the 'real' guitar before guitar hero. The 'real' guitar goes way back in the day of first century spain I believe. The original music from the guitar is way different and mostly more complex than rock music. That's not to say rock music is bad, it's just not the 'real' guitar.R0cky_Racc00n

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

ninjacat11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 ninjacat11
Member since 2004 • 5008 Posts

Guitar Hero is a video game, nothing more. It just happens to have a guitar controller, and even that's optional.Cerussite

QFT.

Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

I disagree, I personally know 2 people who picked up a real guitar because of guitar hero. I'm not saying that's common but it has probably inspired others to do the same.

Buying a real guitar is also very expensive, and it takes a lot of time to master. Time is not something everyone has, some people have to keep a job and go school at the same time and they might just want to get a similiar experience to a guitar without all of the hassle; that's what guitar hero does and it does it well.

-_Jeremy_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#45 -_Jeremy_-
Member since 2006 • 7237 Posts
No. It's making people who can't play guitar, have fun and pretend to rock out.
It's actually introducing people to how hard guitar really is and maybe even some new music.
Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
I'm buying a Squier for Christmas. Now that I think about if I hadn't played GH I probably wouldn't ever get interested in guitar playing.
-dark-shadow-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -dark-shadow-
Member since 2007 • 985 Posts
When I was playing Guitar Hero, a few songs I played with the controller made me want to learn the real thing on guitar so it isn't taking me away.
ElZilcho90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ElZilcho90
Member since 2006 • 6157 Posts
no more than Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat "ruins" Real Combat.