Do you think Colorado's drop in crime rate has anything to do w legal pot?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

• 
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Need more data, more time I mean.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

Yes. How could it not?

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Did violent crime go up after the D.C. gun ban because of it?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Definitely some of it, but there's also added crime because these pot dispensaries are being rolled because they are LOADED with cash.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Probably, considering there are less people getting arrested and prosecuted for marijuana-related crimes.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Premature dude.....not a good thing.;)

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Needs more time

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

It's possible, I certainly wouldn't think they'd make it go up, but I'd like to see how these numbers compare to national averages.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@airshocker said:

Definitely some of it, but there's also added crime because these pot dispensaries are being rolled because they are LOADED with cash.

Only because until recently banks wouldn't handle the cash due to fear of the feds.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts
@vfibsux said:

What does that have to do with the topic?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Everybody is chilling and getting along now in Colorado, long live ganja.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

@airshocker said:

Only because until recently banks wouldn't handle the cash due to fear of the feds.

Isn't that still the case? I haven't heard anything about banks allowing these businesses to store their cash.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@airshocker said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@airshocker said:

Isn't that still the case? I haven't heard anything about banks allowing these businesses to store their cash.

From what I've heard banks are still cautious about lending to them, although anecdotally some are willing to turn a blind eye to businesses that don't explicitly say what they're doing (just anecdotally so I don't know if this is actually common).

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@GazaAli said:

Everybody is chilling and getting along now in Colorado, long live ganja.

Amen. Now what states will be next?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

It's a horribly misleading statistic if people are taking it as pot is lowering crime. If you take something that was illegal and make it "legal", crime is likely to go down. If murder and rape was to become legal, crime would statistically plummet also. I'm for pot's legalization when done right, but the statistic is likely going to be misconstrued.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

It does make sense that a fall in arrests for marijuana abuse would lead to less crime, since you're reintroducing fewer criminals into the population.

@Pirate700 said:

It's a horribly misleading statistic if people are taking it as pot is lowering crime. If you take something that was illegal and make it "legal", crime is likely to go down. If murder and rape was to become legal, crime would statistically plummet also. I'm for pot's legalization when done right, but the statistic is likely going to be misconstrued.

Read the OP again.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts
@Barbariser said:

It does make sense that a fall in arrests for marijuana abuse would lead to less crime, since you're reintroducing fewer criminals into the population.

@Pirate700 said:

Read the OP again.

I did read the OP. I'm not even going to address the 2% decrease in violent crime as that number is ridiculously low and can swing that much at any given time. As for the property crime, I suppose that would make sense as a large chunk of property crimes are either for drugs or to get money for them. If you can get them at the store, it decreases the need for people to commit crimes for it. To suggest, though, that pot itself is reducing crime is ludicrous. I'd like to see a real statistic of what percentage of people now buying pot legally, were already using it before hand. If I had to guess, it would be extremely high. I could be horribly wrong, but I think we need more detailed, longer term numbers.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@airshocker said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@airshocker said:

There's this, but I haven't investigated the issue further so...

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vfibsux

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

Because I want to see the liberals choking on their double standard. They only believe in cause/effect laws when it is convenient for them.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

@vfibsux said:

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

Because I want to see the liberals choking on their double standard. They only believe in cause/effect laws when it is convenient for them.

Violent crime doesn't go up in DC over a gun ban because legalized weed in Colorado might've caused violent crime to go down.

You appear to have the analytical skills of a brick wall.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts
@vfibsux said:

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

Just liberals? Or is that not kind of a human thing?

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -Sun_Tzu-

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

vfibsux would be hard pressed to admit that liberals are actually human

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vfibsux

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

Sure everyone is capable of it but I am giving a specific example here.......liberals have a hard time logically putting the facts together that D.C. became the murder capital of the world AFTER the gun ban. Yet I am sure the thought to legalizing pot having a positive effect on crime rates is completely believable to the majority of them because they want to believe it. Just seeing how many hypocrites I can bring out from under their rocks here.

As for me, I am not a conservative...legalize all the pot you like.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vfibsux

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

Nah liberals are human, we just need to give them their own country so they leave the rest of America alone. Maybe you guys can have California? Oh wait.....

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Why would it?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lostrib

@vfibsux said:

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

Sure everyone is capable of it but I am giving a specific example here.......liberals have a hard time logically putting the facts together that D.C. became the murder capital of the world AFTER the gun ban. Yet I am sure the thought to legalizing pot having a positive effect on crime rates is completely believable to the majority of them because they want to believe it. Just seeing how many hypocrites I can bring out from under their rocks here.

A quick google search shows that Guns were banned in DC in 1975. It was named the murder capital of the world in 1990, which was attributed to the introduction of crack cocaine.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vfibsux

@lostrib said:

@vfibsux said:

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

A quick google search shows that Guns were banned in DC in 1975. It was named the murder capital of the world in 1990, which was attributed to the introduction of crack cocaine.

And of course you would probably believe anything anyone told you that included what you want to hear.

Ask google this, since it is your main source of information.....or you can try thinking logically and see how that works. The year after the D.C. gun ban was lifted murder rates plummeted 25%......did all the crack happen to disappear in the same year?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lostrib

@vfibsux said:

@lostrib said:

@vfibsux said:

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

And of course you would probably believe anything anyone told you that included what you want to hear.

Ask google this, since it is your main source of information.....or you can try thinking logically and see how that works. The year after the D.C. gun ban was lifted murder rates plummeted 25%......did all the crack happen to disappear in the same year?

Well your initial connection was that gun ban was the direct cause of the murder capital, but there was over a decade between the two. Honestly I would have to look at all the available data to see what caused the change in murder rates.

Also, does vfib stand for something else, or do you just really hate ventricular fibrillation?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

@vfibsux said:

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

Violent crime doesn't go up in DC over a gun ban because legalized weed in Colorado might've caused violent crime to go down.

You appear to have the analytical skills of a brick wall.

That may be a bit generous.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By -Sun_Tzu-

@vfibsux said:

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

@commonfate said:
@vfibsux said:

Nah liberals are human, we just need to give them their own country so they leave the rest of America alone. Maybe you guys can have California? Oh wait.....

"You guys" :hah:

my man I probably have more disdain for American liberalism than even you

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Premature dude.....not a good thing.;)

neither are opinions?

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

@Pirate700 said:
@Barbariser said:

@Pirate700 said:

Read the OP again.

I did read the OP. I'm not even going to address the 2% decrease in violent crime as that number is ridiculously low and can swing that much at any given time. As for the property crime, I suppose that would make sense as a large chunk of property crimes are either for drugs or to get money for them. If you can get them at the store, it decreases the need for people to commit crimes for it. To suggest, though, that pot itself is reducing crime is ludicrous. I'd like to see a real statistic of what percentage of people now buying pot legally, were already using it before hand. If I had to guess, it would be extremely high. I could be horribly wrong, but I think we need more detailed, longer term numbers.

Your original post basically said that crime statistics "appear to be lower" simply because we're no longer counting marijuana usage as a crime. The OP and the link clearly show that their measurements didn't include marijuana usage for either period.

Darth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Darth1337
Member since 2005 • 64 Posts

Correlation != Causation

That being said, it's entirely possible that legal marijuana has had these positive effects, but we can't simply state that because one event occurred it then affected another.

WickedChainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WickedChainy
Member since 2012 • 319 Posts

These statistics were clearly made up because I can tell you first hand that the Marijuana fueled criminals are destroying everything and starting riots constantly. No one is safe especially not the children.