Do you think Cinemark should be sued over that mass shooting?

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I was just watching then news the other day, and they mentioned how several families in Aurora, Colorado are suing Cinemark over the deaths of their loved ones. While I think that shooting was awful, I'm not sure why they are suing the theatre company. I suppose that Cinemark could have installed armed guards at every door and had metal detectors at every entrance, but is that really practical? Could anyone have anticipated something like this? I can understand expecting a business to provide a safe environment - but that usually deals with hazards on the grounds. Something external like this crazy shooter couldnt have been anticipated. If you're expected to prepare for the unexpected, than I think most theatres are woefully underprepared for a potential meteor strike or godzilla attack.

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
Yeah, I don't see how Cinemark could be at fault for this. Protecting against mass shootings isn't a major component of running a movie theatre. A general sense of safety and security, yes. But there's no way this could have been prevented without armed police at every corner.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
No. It's just as pathetic as the family that is suing for the school shooting. Pathetic people trying to cash in on a tragedy.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
No. It's just as pathetic as the family that is suing for the school shooting. Pathetic people trying to cash in on a tragedy.Toxic-Seahorse
I dont think they are pathetic. I think it's just misdirected anger. They are looking for someone to blame in a senseless tragedy.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
They should only be sued if they prevented somebody from carrying a gun in to protect themselves.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

This is 'Merica, not surprised

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
That's ridiculous. The shooter is responsible for the deaths of those people, not the theatre company.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]No. It's just as pathetic as the family that is suing for the school shooting. Pathetic people trying to cash in on a tragedy.sonicare
I dont think they are pathetic. I think it's just misdirected anger. They are looking for someone to blame in a senseless tragedy.

I guess there really is no way of knowing their intentions but I find it hard to believe that they cannot think about this rationally. I'm not sure about who is suing the theater but the peopel suing for the school shooting didn't lose their daughter. They have no reason to sue for the 100 million they did other than trying to cash in on the tragedy. Perhaps the lawyers are more to blame for actually taking these cases. I really hope all these cases get thrown out of court. But then again, people have won lawsuits of stupider things.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
:lol: People want financial compensation from a company that had absolutely no role in the death of those people? Wut? Come on... blame the guy who shot them.
Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts
i guess whether or not they decide to sue is up to them. i think they should be allowed to bring suit, sure. i also think they should lose.
Ingenemployee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ingenemployee
Member since 2007 • 2307 Posts

False advertisement I'm guessing. The theater was supposed to be a gun free zone. /terrible joke.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Why don' t people just learn to blame the real culprit? How could anyone think it was the theater' s fault? In this logic the producers of the movie were responsible as well. Oh God...

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]No. It's just as pathetic as the family that is suing for the school shooting. Pathetic people trying to cash in on a tragedy.sonicare

blame or a cash in? funerals aren't cheap
dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
No, the theatre is not culpable.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Depends... were they a posted no carry zone that forbid lawful citizens from caring firearms for self defence with no security in exchange?

If so, maybe.

If you post, post guards.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Depends... were they a posted no carry zone that forbid lawful citizens from caring firearms for self defence with no security in exchange?

If so, maybe.

dercoo
I'm pretty sure it's private property. If they don't want guns on their property, then no guns on their property. If anyone left their guns at home because it's a "no carry zone", then that's on them. They knew it was a no carry zone and still chose to go in.
arcangelgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#18 arcangelgold
Member since 2012 • 342 Posts
To my knowledge there is no tort for which they have any grounds to sue Cinemark, it sounds to me like unfortunately the parents are poor and want a free money train. I realize it's upsetting when something like this happens and that the parents are in shock and may not have the money for burials and monuments for their loved ones, but seriously I think the case will be dismissed. It's not the responsibility of any one or any business to make you safe from unknown unanticipated dangers. Their only legal responsibility is to make sure they don't endanger you with an obvious issue in their establishment, for example: a broken step.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dercoo

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

If so, maybe.

MrGeezer

I'm pretty sure it's private property. If they don't want guns on their property, then no guns on their property. If anyone left their guns at home because it's a "no carry zone", then that's on them. They knew it was a no carry zone and still chose to go in.

They forced clients to give up the right to defend themselves, but offered no security on exchange.

If it was not posted, then the clients are in charge of their own security (and lack there of)

If its posted the business is incharge if customer safety.

They posted, but failed to provide adequate safety for their customers.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Dumb lawsuit. I hope a judge throws it out.

FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
Blaming the scene of crime? No just no...
Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="dercoo"]

If so, maybe.

dercoo

They forced clients to give up the right to defend themselves, but offered no security on exchange.

If it was not posted, then the clients are in charge of their own security (and lack there of)

If its posted the business is incharge if customer safety.

They posted, but failed to provide adequate safety for their customers.

they made the terms of entering their own property. the customers had the choice not to take their business to the theater in the first place.
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

i dont see the point to sue Cinemark, unless they are directly involved like guns were knowingly stashed ahead of time and an employee used it.

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

The people who died should be sued because they wouldn't have died had they not gone to see the movie. Sounds just as stupid as this lawsuit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Should they? Naw. That said, I don't blame the families for sueing.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
Misguided anger? Maybe but I find it interesting that the relatives of the victims would rather sue a company which shares virtually no responsibility than to take action against the ones that are clearly responsible; namely that gun manufacture/s.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

You know, there are few things I find more despicable than people trying to cash in on a tragedy. Families of victims or not, this is absolutely ridiculous on the surface. But there may be details we don't know about, like in the case of the lady who scalded herself with McDonald's coffee, so I'll reserve judgement until the full story emerges.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Signs are posted prominently in every Cinemark box office: "Guns Prohibited" with the handy dandy picture of a gun with a circle around it and a slash through it.

So the inference is that if guns are prohibited at a location, that the owners would provide adequate security.

Note also that there were at least 7 theatres within a few miles of his home. And only one was a gun free zone. Guess which one he chose? It wasn't the closest or the most populated. It was the one where people were least capable of defending themselves. Unfortunately we can't confirm since the shooter isn't around to ask if he targeted this one theater specifically.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
no, there's no way they could have known something like this could happen, and this can happen anywhere people gather at, malls, sporting events, public gatherings, religious services, schools, whereever, so say in response all theaters are like going through the airport, someone is going to take their shooting rampages elsewhere and there's lots to pick from, and not to diminish the life that was lost then but in some ways I guess things could have been a lot worse considering how armed to the teeth the shooter was
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dercoo

Signs are posted prominently in every Cinemark box office: "Guns Prohibited" with the handy dandy picture of a gun with a circle around it and a slash through it.

So the inference is that if guns are prohibited at a location, that the owners would provide adequate security.

Note also that there were at least 7 theatres within a few miles of his home. And only one was a gun free zone. Guess which one he chose? It wasn't the closest or the most populated. It was the one where people were least capable of defending themselves. Unfortunately we can't confirm since the shooter isn't around to ask if he targeted this one theater specifically.

VoodooHak

He is still around though.

Until his suicide attempts succeed.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

You need two theatres, right next to each other. One is a normal theatre. The other has guards who are all ex-military, armed with SMGs, wearing body armor, who run checkpoints and metal detectors. In this theatre, the tickets cost $90 ($105 for 3D movies, you smucks).

You choose which one you attend.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

So if someone gets killed in front of my house am I responsible?

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

So if someone gets killed in front of my house am I responsible?

toast_burner

Horrible analogy. Also - don't go in the U.S. Marines thread...you might get mad.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 thebest31406
[QUOTE="thebest31406"]Misguided anger? Maybe but I find it interesting that the relatives of the victims would rather sue a company which shares virtually no responsibility than to take action against the ones that are clearly responsible; namely that gun manufacture/s. thegerg
This is a joke, right? The one that is clearly responsible is the shooter, not the gun makers or the theater.

The gunman is more than responsible, he's to blame. I just don't understand how victims could invoke responsibility on a cinema complex instead of the ones that manufactured the weapons in the first place. I mean a full size AR-15 with round drum, Remington 870 12-gague pump, .40 Caliber Glock? How is it that civilians can get their hands on such arms?
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 VoodooHak

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

dercoo

He is still around though.

Until his suicide attempts succeed.

My bad. I got confused with the Sandy Hook shooter.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts
If you ask me it looks like a lot of completely waaay unexpected worst-scenario shooting crap happened last year, let's also not forget that December shooting. Here's an idea, let's blame the evil year that was. Except mass shootings happen every year... still.. maybe not shootings as big a scale on the unbelievably horrifying level that was the theater and Elementary School shooting.
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thebest31406
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="thebest31406"][QUOTE="thegerg"] This is a joke, right? The one that is clearly responsible is the shooter, not the gun makers or the theater.

The gunman is more than responsible, he's to blame. I just don't understand how victims could invoke responsibility on a cinema complex instead of the ones that manufactured the weapons in the first place. I mean a full size AR-15 with round drum, Remington 870 12-gague pump, .40 Caliber Glock? How is it that civilians can get their hands on such arms?

They certainly are unreasonable to place responsibility on the theater, but they would be just as unreasonable to do the same towards gun manufacturers. "I mean a full size AR-15 with round drum, Remington 870 12-gague pump, .40 Caliber Glock? " This question makes no sense. Hire an English tutor.

loool. Are you mad?
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 thebest31406
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="thebest31406"][QUOTE="thegerg"] They certainly are unreasonable to place responsibility on the theater, but they would be just as unreasonable to do the same towards gun manufacturers. "I mean a full size AR-15 with round drum, Remington 870 12-gague pump, .40 Caliber Glock? " This question makes no sense. Hire an English tutor.

loool. Are you mad?

No. I'm quite sane, I'm not the one suggesting that a tool manufacturer be held responsible for the misuse of their products.

Eh? What are you British or something? "Mad" as in 'angry' 'hostile'
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Should they? Naw. That said, I don't blame the families for sueing.

thegerg

Then who do you blame? They're the ones doing it.

Don't be silly, you know what I meant.

I wouldn't condemn for it since they lost their child and want to get something out of it. They'll lose the suit anyway.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

This is all Nolan's fault for making the movie the victims went to see, he should be the one they're suing.

The events in Aurora proved that movie premieres are as great a causer of violence as video games and rap music and thus, MUST BE BANNED

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts
Some suing cases are actually legit, but I don't think this one is.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 VoodooHak

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="thebest31406"]Misguided anger? Maybe but I find it interesting that the relatives of the victims would rather sue a company which shares virtually no responsibility than to take action against the ones that are clearly responsible; namely that gun manufacture/s. thebest31406
This is a joke, right? The one that is clearly responsible is the shooter, not the gun makers or the theater.

Why shouldn't civilians have access to those firearms? Do the manufacturer or model names scare you? Or are there specific features you'd like to point out that you have a problem with? Is it ammo capacity? Is it the oh-so-intimidating pump action?

I hope you understand that it takes only half a second to eject a magazine and replace it with a fresh one. That means the pump action shotgun has a much slower rate of fire.... which should be ok then, right?

Is it the size of the bullet? A 556 or 223 round that the typical AR takes or the .40 cal round aren't as powerful as the .308 of an old fashioned bolt action hunting rifle. So is a .308 ok?

Help me understand what you find so sinister about these guns.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 thebest31406
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="thebest31406"][QUOTE="thegerg"] No. I'm quite sane, I'm not the one suggesting that a tool manufacturer be held responsible for the misuse of their products.

Eh? What are you British or something? "Mad" as in 'angry' 'hostile'

I thought that that may have been what you meant at fist, but there was nothing in my post that would lead a reasonable person to believe that I'm at all upset, so I had to assume that's not what you meant.

Of course you're mad "See an English tutor" Getting all ad hominem on me just because of my view on the matter. You're mad.