Do you think America is an ageism country??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JapaneseLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JapaneseLeader
Member since 2007 • 196 Posts

It seems that this nation overprotect the rights of kids while it neglects so many needs of elders.

and elders who live in US tend to feel more depressed and disrespected that those who live in EAST ASIA.

WestSideAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 WestSideAzn
Member since 2003 • 2218 Posts
Well there is quite a disrespect for the elderly nowadays because, I don't know... we just take the elderly for granted, even though we are going to be like that one day...
JapaneseLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JapaneseLeader
Well there is quite a disrespect for the elderly nowadays because, I don't know... we just take the elderly for granted, even though we are going to be like that one day...WestSideAzn
I know In Japan and China, young people respect elders a lot more... I just feel that old people deserve the same carings as other people... and I do not really understand why are Americans so caring to kids, which is the opposite way in Asia.
ernie1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ernie1989
Member since 2004 • 8547 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't know much about that type of stuff. I usually live under a rock long enough to miss the poor treatment to the old if there ever is any around here. I know I haven't done anything to my grandparents. That's because I barely even saw them.
JapaneseLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JapaneseLeader
Yeah, I wouldn't know much about that type of stuff. I usually live under a rock long enough to miss the poor treatment to the old if there ever is any around here. I know I haven't done anything to my grandparents. That's because I barely even saw them.ernie1989
May I know your race? However, in Japan, it is very important to respect elders. If a young person does not show respect to the elders, that person will be rebelled to death
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
My high school history teacher brought this very point up a few years back. I think there is a lot of truth to it. We tend to neglect the old thinking they are no use to society anymore, when in reality they hold the wisdom of the generations they lived through. Its unfortunate indeed.
JapaneseLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JapaneseLeader
My high school history teacher brought this very point up a few years back. I think there is a lot of truth to it. We tend to neglect the old thinking they are no use to society anymore, when in reality they hold the wisdom of the generations they lived through. Its unfortunate indeed. rimnet00
Yes, American is probably the most ageism country in the world while Japan/China is probably the countries where insist "older-is-better" in the world.... It clearly explains why Chinese and Japanese have longer lifespans than US since US people r so virulent to senior citizens.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
I would also like to add that it may be due to our view on our 'heroes'. Heroes in today's society for many youth is based on superficial and indestructible demi-gods, all of whom are portrayed to be young. Whether it is a current basketball player or the latest music artist. I think people tend to forget those who have done so much to bring us where we are today. This is a mentality I can't reality pinpoint the origin of, while at the same time acknowledging that the old are looked as nothing more then brittle and 'stupid' due to their age.
JapaneseLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JapaneseLeader
I would also like to add that it may be due to our view on our 'heroes'. Heroes in today's society for many youth is based on superficial and indestructible demi-gods, all of whom are portrayed to be young. Whether it is a current basketball player or the latest music artist. I think people tend to forget those who have done so much to bring us where we are today. This is a mentality I can't reality pinpoint the origin of, while at the same time acknowledging that the old are looked as nothing more then brittle and 'stupid' due to their age.rimnet00
See, that is the main cultural difference Most heroes or idols in America are set to be 28 years old or younger; meanwhile, most heroes in Japan and China r portraited to be middle-aged with so many years of experience.
ernie1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ernie1989
Yeah, I wouldn't know much about that type of stuff. I usually live under a rock long enough to miss the poor treatment to the old if there ever is any around here. I know I haven't done anything to my grandparents. That's because I barely even saw them.ernie1989

Half White and half Mexican. Don't know which specific country my grandfather's ancestors were from so I can't really be more specific than white. Maybe saying that my grandfather was an all american type of guy might help out.
JapaneseLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JapaneseLeader
[QUOTE="ernie1989"]Yeah, I wouldn't know much about that type of stuff. I usually live under a rock long enough to miss the poor treatment to the old if there ever is any around here. I know I haven't done anything to my grandparents. That's because I barely even saw them.ernie1989

Half White and half Mexican. Don't know which specific country my grandfather's ancestors were from so I can't really be more specific than white. Maybe saying that my grandfather was an all american type of guy might help out.

Not trying to flatter ur race but how come I feel Mexicans are much kinder to Chinese/Japanese than whites? Plus, I feel that most mexicans r respective to their elders.
ernie1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ernie1989
[QUOTE="ernie1989"][QUOTE="ernie1989"]Yeah, I wouldn't know much about that type of stuff. I usually live under a rock long enough to miss the poor treatment to the old if there ever is any around here. I know I haven't done anything to my grandparents. That's because I barely even saw them.JapaneseLeader

Not trying to flatter ur race but how come I feel Mexicans are much kinder to Chinese/Japanese than whites? Plus, I feel that most mexicans r respective to their elders.

Well, during my lifetime I have never really witnessed a mexican and a chinese or japanese actually talk to eachother unless if it's in school. My dad does have students that are immigrants from China that go to Mexico and then come to the U.S. Most of them end up being trilingual, but I never really know how they were treated in Mexico. Yeah, I have no answer to your question except I have no idea.
JapaneseLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JapaneseLeader
More comments to this topic?
im_very_kind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 im_very_kind
Member since 2007 • 411 Posts

It seems that this nation overprotect the rights of kids while it neglects so many needs of elders.

and elders who live in US tend to feel more depressed and disrespected that those who live in EAST ASIA.

JapaneseLeader
im pretty sick of hearing about all these isms. they have nursing homes, and a lot of elders are living with their children now. i dont see any ageism here, but i agree nursing homes are like a concentration camp with pills and sweaters.
JapaneseLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JapaneseLeader
[QUOTE="JapaneseLeader"]

im_very_kind
im pretty sick of hearing about all these isms. they have nursing homes, and a lot of elders are living with their children now. i dont see any ageism here, but i agree nursing homes are like a concentration camp with pills and sweaters.

I understand that they have DIY nursing homes; however, I see many elders do not have the same access as our youngsters to many programs in our nation... and many elders are not being treated as youngsters....that is very ageist~~~~~is that why elders die quickly in here?
nohabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nohabs
Member since 2004 • 10797 Posts
Today's younger people are more into their own lives not their grandparents or parents. They don't have the time for them, why they might miss the Yoga class
JapaneseLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JapaneseLeader
Today's younger people are more into their own lives not their grandparents or parents. They don't have the time for them, why they might miss the Yoga classnohabs
I am sure the modern elders are capabloe of taking care of themselves compared to the elders decades ago considering our medications have improved. However, I am talking about the social attitude toward elders.
liquid_s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 liquid_s
Member since 2005 • 7159 Posts
[QUOTE="nohabs"]Today's younger people are more into their own lives not their grandparents or parents. They don't have the time for them, why they might miss the Yoga classJapaneseLeader
I am sure the modern elders are capabloe of taking care of themselves compared to the elders decades ago considering our medications have improved. However, I am talking about the social attitude toward elders.

I know what you mean, people kind of, like, just dont bother with them, or respect them. I see it a few times, but i always keep in contact with my Gran. Also Grandparents are better than parents, they give give you stuff for no reason
JapaneseLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JapaneseLeader
[QUOTE="JapaneseLeader"][QUOTE="nohabs"]Today's younger people are more into their own lives not their grandparents or parents. They don't have the time for them, why they might miss the Yoga classliquid_s

I know what you mean, people kind of, like, just dont bother with them, or respect them. I see it a few times, but i always keep in contact with my Gran. Also Grandparents are better than parents, they give give you stuff for no reason

And I can tell you that 99% of Asians coming from Japan and Taiwan have strong respects toward elders than other races.
ChevelleFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 ChevelleFan
Member since 2004 • 1783 Posts

[QUOTE="WestSideAzn"]Well there is quite a disrespect for the elderly nowadays because, I don't know... we just take the elderly for granted, even though we are going to be like that one day...JapaneseLeader
I know In Japan and China, young people respect elders a lot more... I just feel that old people deserve the same carings as other people... and I do not really understand why are Americans so caring to kids, which is the opposite way in Asia.

I agree, but children are the future and not the elderly.

guthwulf_de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 guthwulf_de
Member since 2004 • 13209 Posts
I respect my elders, but old people in general annoy me.
JapaneseLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JapaneseLeader
I respect my elders, but old people in general annoy me.guthwulf_de
What did they do that annoyed you? And my regard to another poster, I do not care who are the future, I care about the proper attitude. It makes me feel you are one of those ageist people
guthwulf_de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 guthwulf_de
[QUOTE="guthwulf_de"]I respect my elders, but old people in general annoy me.JapaneseLeader
What did they do that annoyed you? And my regard to another poster, I do not care who are the future, I care about the proper attitude. It makes me feel you are one of those ageist people

They drive slowly on the streets.
nohabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nohabs

[QUOTE="nohabs"]Today's younger people are more into their own lives not their grandparents or parents. They don't have the time for them, why they might miss the Yoga classJapaneseLeader

That's what I was implying. I visit my wife's parents at the nursing home and you would be amazed how many old folks are left there  without any family visitors

JapaneseLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JapaneseLeader

[QUOTE="JapaneseLeader"][QUOTE="nohabs"]Today's younger people are more into their own lives not their grandparents or parents. They don't have the time for them, why they might miss the Yoga classnohabs

That's what I was implying. I visit my wife's parents at the nursing home and you would be amazed how many old folks are left there  without any family visitors

First of all, it is always better to drive slowly on the streets. Now my response to your comment: Are you saying your wife rarely looks after her parents that she just ignores them in their home?
yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 yoshi-lnex
Member since 2007 • 5442 Posts
Good points op, I agree, socioty as a whole should pay more attention to elders.
JapaneseLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JapaneseLeader
Good points op, I agree, socioty as a whole should pay more attention to elders.yoshi-lnex
There are only 2 countries that really put a lot of efforts on helping elders: Singapore and Japan.... and I rather be in a place where is made up of elder populations.
nohabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nohabs
[QUOTE="nohabs"]

[QUOTE="JapaneseLeader"][QUOTE="nohabs"]Today's younger people are more into their own lives not their grandparents or parents. They don't have the time for them, why they might miss the Yoga classJapaneseLeader

First of all, it is always better to drive slowly on the streets. Now my response to your comment: Are you saying your wife rarely looks after her parents that she just ignores them in their home?

No She visits them all the time. The other people that live there get no visitors, it's really sad to see

yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 yoshi-lnex
[QUOTE="yoshi-lnex"]Good points op, I agree, socioty as a whole should pay more attention to elders.JapaneseLeader
There are only 2 countries that really put a lot of efforts on helping elders: Singapore and Japan.... and I rather be in a place where is made up of elder populations.

Eastern countrys in general respect elders alot, this is primarily becouse of the most influential man to the region, the great philosopher confucious who stressed the importance of certain relationships in socioty, and respect towards elders was one of them....
JapaneseLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JapaneseLeader
[QUOTE="JapaneseLeader"][QUOTE="nohabs"]

[QUOTE="JapaneseLeader"][QUOTE="nohabs"]Today's younger people are more into their own lives not their grandparents or parents. They don't have the time for them, why they might miss the Yoga classnohabs

No She visits them all the time. The other people that live there get no visitors, it's really sad to see

I guess the place where your wife's parents reside must be a suburb place, right?
JapaneseLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JapaneseLeader
[QUOTE="JapaneseLeader"][QUOTE="yoshi-lnex"]Good points op, I agree, socioty as a whole should pay more attention to elders.yoshi-lnex

Eastern countrys in general respect elders alot, this is primarily becouse of the most influential man to the region, the great philosopher confucious who stressed the importance of certain relationships in socioty, and respect towards elders was one of them....

Which most Americans lack. Sad but true
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
Probably none moreso than many other countries...
nohabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nohabs

I guess the place where your wife's parents reside must be a suburb place, right?

Well it's right on the edge of the city. But most of the nursing homes are in the suburbs, at least here.

yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 yoshi-lnex
[QUOTE="yoshi-lnex"][QUOTE="JapaneseLeader"][QUOTE="yoshi-lnex"]Good points op, I agree, socioty as a whole should pay more attention to elders.JapaneseLeader

Which most Americans lack. Sad but true

Yeah.....it'll probably get better though as socioty develops a bit more.....
guthwulf_de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 guthwulf_de
[QUOTE="JapaneseLeader"] First of all, it is always better to drive slowly on the streets.

Depends on how much time you have.
JapaneseLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JapaneseLeader
I don't know if this is true, I find that Mexican people r much more respective to their elders than whitez?
yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 yoshi-lnex
I don't know if this is true, I find that Mexican people r much more respective to their elders than whitez?JapaneseLeader
Maybe, they are more respectful of the deceased for cultural reasons.....
OODALOOP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 OODALOOP
Member since 2004 • 36350 Posts
Haha..no. You're quite mistaken. We're a very older generation oriented society. The greatest part of our population, the babyboomers, are all reaching the retirement age. They are also the most active and largest voting block. They control the wealth and political power in the country. In large, our society panders to them.
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

Neither America or Europe are ageistic in their belifes....

It also happends to be that Japan and other eastern countries have VERY many prejudices against the west....I love japan and I find it sad....