Do you support or disagree with NYC's gun laws

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by LegitGamer3212 (1619 posts) -

To obtain a handgun or rifle license in nyc is extremely difficult to impossible. You need to list every arrest including ones where you're not convicted, you need to get checked out by a psychologist, you need to pay over $500 for fees and fingerprinting, they also go through your driving violations such as running a stop sign, you must pay and register every gun, furthermore it's a may issue state which means they don't have to give you the license even if you meet all the qualifications. Now I'm not trying to make this into a gun debate but I'll say this much, my mom's house got burglarized twice here in NYC Queens. My mother lives with my father, but my father is usually out working. My mom is getting old and it's not like she can defend herself against a home invader. The number of gang break-ins, robbers, thieves, and arsonists spiked here in NYC Queens and it's not getting any better. I understand gun violence is the cause of many senseless deaths and tragedies, however, NYC is the most strict in the country when it comes to pistols or rifles. Do you agree or disagree with these strict gun controls?

#2 Posted by dave123321 (34368 posts) -
Couldn't his have gone in one of the other gun control threads?
#3 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

To obtain a handgun or rifle license in nyc is extremely difficult to impossible. You need to list every arrest including ones where you're not convicted, you need to get checked out by a psychologist, you need to pay over $500 for fees and fingerprinting, they also go through your driving violations such as running a stop sign, you must pay and register every gun, furthermore it's a may issue state which means they don't have to give you the license even if you meet all the qualifications. Now I'm not trying to make this into a gun debate but I'll say this much, my mom's house got burglarized twice here in NYC Queens. My mother lives with my father, but my father is usually out working. My mom is getting old and it's not like she can defend herself against a home invader. The number of gang break-ins, robbers, thieves, and arsonists spiked here in NYC Queens and it's not getting any better. I understand gun violence is the cause of many senseless deaths and tragedies, however, NYC is the most strict in the country when it comes to pistols of rifles. Do you agree or disagree with these strict gun controls?

LegitGamer3212
Arrests, even non-convictions, is sensible. Being checked by a psychologist is maybe a bit much but not too bad. Sucks about the fee but the fingerprint record is a decent idea. Driving violations seems kind of odd as any serious infraction will be on the arrest part. May issue sounds dumb, if you qualify you should qualify. Not sure how I feel about registry. Depends on how difficult registering a single gun is and how much but in practice it makes sense to know what guns are registered to who as it makes solving gun crimes easier..
#4 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4191 posts) -
You live in a city. Cops can't be that far, its queens. So yeah. For 500 dollars I can rig the windows and doors with non lethal surprises.
#5 Posted by Allicrombie (25560 posts) -
inb4 airshocker.
#6 Posted by dave123321 (34368 posts) -
inb4 airshocker.Allicrombie
lol
#7 Posted by LegitGamer3212 (1619 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

To obtain a handgun or rifle license in nyc is extremely difficult to impossible. You need to list every arrest including ones where you're not convicted, you need to get checked out by a psychologist, you need to pay over $500 for fees and fingerprinting, they also go through your driving violations such as running a stop sign, you must pay and register every gun, furthermore it's a may issue state which means they don't have to give you the license even if you meet all the qualifications. Now I'm not trying to make this into a gun debate but I'll say this much, my mom's house got burglarized twice here in NYC Queens. My mother lives with my father, but my father is usually out working. My mom is getting old and it's not like she can defend herself against a home invader. The number of gang break-ins, robbers, thieves, and arsonists spiked here in NYC Queens and it's not getting any better. I understand gun violence is the cause of many senseless deaths and tragedies, however, NYC is the most strict in the country when it comes to pistols of rifles. Do you agree or disagree with these strict gun controls?

Ace6301

Arrests, even non-convictions, is sensible. Being checked by a psychologist is maybe a bit much but not too bad. Sucks about the fee but the fingerprint record is a decent idea. Driving violations seems kind of odd as any serious infraction will be on the arrest part. May issue sounds dumb, if you qualify you should qualify. Not sure how I feel about registry. Depends on how difficult registering a single gun is and how much but in practice it makes sense to know what guns are registered to who as it makes solving gun crimes easier..

an arrest even non convictions is sensible to you? so a guy gets arrested, put in cuffs for jay walking, then released, has to answer yes on the application as if he's a felon or something.

#8 Posted by LegitGamer3212 (1619 posts) -

You live in a city. Cops can't be that far, its queens. So yeah. For 500 dollars I can rig the windows and doors with non lethal surprises. CreasianDevaili

they're not far but they still take 10-15 minutes to get to your house, by then the perpetrator is gone and the victim is well victimized.

#9 Posted by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -

The number of gang break-ins, robbers, thieves, and arsonists spiked here in NYC Queens and it's not getting any better.

LegitGamer3212

This statement is just not correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_New_York_City

#10 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

LegitGamer3212

an arrest even non convictions is sensible to you? so a guy gets arrested, put in cuffs for jay walking, then released, has to answer yes on the application as if he's a felon or something.

You said you have to list them, not just say "Yes" if you've been arrested even without a conviction. If they're making you go to the lengths they do then they should at least look up the police report referenced and make a judgement based off that.
#11 Posted by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] Arrests, even non-convictions, is sensible. Being checked by a psychologist is maybe a bit much but not too bad. Sucks about the fee but the fingerprint record is a decent idea. Driving violations seems kind of odd as any serious infraction will be on the arrest part. May issue sounds dumb, if you qualify you should qualify. Not sure how I feel about registry. Depends on how difficult registering a single gun is and how much but in practice it makes sense to know what guns are registered to who as it makes solving gun crimes easier.. Ace6301

You said you have to list them, not just say "Yes" if you've been arrested even without a conviction. If they're making you go to the lengths they do then they should at least look up the police report referenced and make a judgement based off that.

You wouldn't give OJ Simpson a gun permit, would you?

#12 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

Guybrush_3

You wouldn't give OJ Simpson a gun permit, would you?

I wouldn't. Robbery, assault, kidnapping and use of a deadly weapon convictions don't look so good in my eyes.
#13 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4191 posts) -

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"]You live in a city. Cops can't be that far, its queens. So yeah. For 500 dollars I can rig the windows and doors with non lethal surprises. LegitGamer3212

they're not far but they still take 10-15 minutes to get to your house, by then the perpetrator is gone and the victim is well victimized.

Why not explore other, legal, means to protecting the home? You don't need some expensive security system to do it.

Found the actual nyc regulations/laws. Seems fair across the board.
#14 Posted by LegitGamer3212 (1619 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"]You live in a city. Cops can't be that far, its queens. So yeah. For 500 dollars I can rig the windows and doors with non lethal surprises. CreasianDevaili

Why not explore other, legal, means to protecting the home? You don't need some expensive security system to do it.

In NYC you need a license permit for both a handgun and long gun. Outside NYC such as NY state you just need a license for pistol.

#16 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4191 posts) -
[QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

In NYC you need a license permit for both a handgun and long gun. Outside NYC such as NY state you just need a license for pistol.

Well after some research I think your mother can get a dangerous wildlife permit pretty easily. You just need to establish that exhibit admission is breaking into the home. I suggest some form of bear since lions are not allowed.
#17 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

To obtain a handgun or rifle license in nyc is extremely difficult to impossible. You need to list every arrest including ones where you're not convicted, you need to get checked out by a psychologist, you need to pay over $500 for fees and fingerprinting, they also go through your driving violations such as running a stop sign, you must pay and register every gun,furthermore it's a may issue state which means they don't have to give you the license even if you meet all the qualifications. Now I'm not trying to make this into a gun debate but I'll say this much, my mom's house got burglarized twice here in NYC Queens. My mother lives with my father, but my father is usually out working. My mom is getting old and it's not like she can defend herself against a home invader. The number of gang break-ins, robbers, thieves, and arsonists spiked here in NYC Queens and it's not getting any better. I understand gun violence is the cause of many senseless deaths and tragedies, however, NYC is the most strict in the country when it comes to pistols or rifles. Do you agree or disagree with these strict gun controls?

LegitGamer3212

Agree with this.

Strongly disagree with this.

I understand how you feel, I live in harlem and I live with my mom, aunt and grandmother. I am the only male in this apartment. I've had bullets fly into my kitchen when some hoods were firing into the apartment next door few years back. I have the right to protect my family and if I meet the requirements then there's no good reason why I should be denied a permit. What really irks me is that these monkeys around the neighborhood can walk around with weapons and whatnot while I, a law abiding citizen, can't even get a permit to legally own a weapon.

:|

#18 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

Disagree. Gun laws are getting out of hand and people who think banning guns is the answer, are simply ignorant.

#19 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152397 posts) -
Disagree.
#20 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29745 posts) -

Seems fine. Parts I'd have a problem with are the fees and the "may issue" part. Oh an the non-conviction arrests part (read through quickly and missed that at first :P).

#21 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152397 posts) -

Seems fine. Parts I'd have a problem with are the fees and the "may issue" part. Oh an the non-conviction arrests part (read through quickly and missed that at first :P).

chessmaster1989
If is seems fine why do you have so many issues with it?
#22 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29745 posts) -
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

LJS9502_basic

I guess I half agree with it. :P e.g. I'd rather see it stand as is than see it completely removed I don't have a problem with looking at the conviction record (this should be required anywhere) and a psychological examination (as long as you can use a private psychologist). Well I guess arrest record also does make sense due to present arrests (e.g. if you've got someone on bail about to go on trial for beating his wife, you probably don't want him going out and buying a gun), so perhaps it should be required only for present arrests/trials. So I can see why arrest record (including non-convictions) would make sense. Fingerprinting obviously makes sense. No reason not to look at driving violations although if you take out the "may issue" part I doubt these will end up keeping you from a gun license.
#23 Posted by SUD123456 (4538 posts) -

Don't see what the problem is for you. It is inconvenient and costs some money. So does going to the dentist. Poor muffin.

#24 Posted by UnknownSniper65 (9229 posts) -

It explains why I don't live in NYC

#25 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152397 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

chessmaster1989

I guess I half agree with it. :P e.g. I'd rather see it stand as is than see it completely removed I don't have a problem with looking at the conviction record (this should be required anywhere) and a psychological examination (as long as you can use a private psychologist). Well I guess arrest record also does make sense due to present arrests (e.g. if you've got someone on bail about to go on trial for beating his wife, you probably don't want him going out and buying a gun), so perhaps it should be required only for present arrests/trials. So I can see why arrest record (including non-convictions) would make sense. Fingerprinting obviously makes sense. No reason not to look at driving violations although if you take out the "may issue" part I doubt these will end up keeping you from a gun license.

Using arrest without conviction as a criteria means you've convicted someone for something they haven't been proven to have done. And considering the innocent until proven guilty aspect of our court system....I can't agree with that. I know it's a minor thing.....but the loss of freedom often starts small. It erodes tiny piece by piece until one day....it's nonexistent. Freedom comes with a price. Sometimes a steep price. Decisions should not be made in a time of heightened emotion. I can't really see how making it tougher for law abiding citizens to get guns will stop the atrocities. Someone who has decided on that course of action isn't going to be deterred. I think we all know substitutions can be used as a means of death if someone is bent on that. We need better answers on dealing with mental illness. And before you think I'm a gun nut....I'm not. But I am a believer in the Constitution.
#26 Posted by UnknownSniper65 (9229 posts) -

In my state you can walk in buy a gun and walk out with it 15 minutes later. Concealed carry is shall-issue here as well . We also have one of the lowest crime rates in the United States.

#27 Posted by Diablo-B (4053 posts) -

Considering that NYC has the lowest crime rate of any American city per capita I must say they must be doing something right.

#28 Posted by UnknownSniper65 (9229 posts) -

Considering that NYC has the lowest crime rate of any American city per capita I must say they must be doing something right.

Diablo-B

NYC's crime rate lowering has more to do with them flooding the streets of New York with more police officers than it does with gun laws. Their gun laws are beyond stupid as the TC said, you can do everything right and they can still refuse to allow you to possess a firearm.

#29 Posted by Diablo-B (4053 posts) -

[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]

UnknownSniper65

NYC's crime rate lowering has more to do with them flooding the streets of New York with more police officers than it does with gun laws. Their gun laws are beyond stupid as the TC said, you can do everything right and they can still refuse to allow you to possess a firearm.

Flooding the streets is a major factor but certainly its not the only one. Considering their good track record I will give them the benefit of the doubt on any decision they make regarding safety. Moreover, as someone who grew up in NYC I can tell you that there is no need for there to be a gun in every home. Its not a rural hunting culture in the big city. You dont have to worry about the police taking 30 minutes to respond. If I ever buy a house in the suburbs I will most likely get a gun, but most people dont need one in NYC so it should be hard as f**k to get one.
#30 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

To obtain a handgun or rifle license in nyc is extremely difficult to impossible. You need to list every arrest including ones where you're not convicted, you need to get checked out by a psychologist, you need to pay over $500 for fees and fingerprinting, they also go through your driving violations such as running a stop sign, you must pay and register every gun, furthermore it's a may issue state which means they don't have to give you the license even if you meet all the qualifications. Now I'm not trying to make this into a gun debate but I'll say this much, my mom's house got burglarized twice here in NYC Queens. My mother lives with my father, but my father is usually out working. My mom is getting old and it's not like she can defend herself against a home invader. The number of gang break-ins, robbers, thieves, and arsonists spiked here in NYC Queens and it's not getting any better. I understand gun violence is the cause of many senseless deaths and tragedies, however, NYC is the most strict in the country when it comes to pistols or rifles. Do you agree or disagree with these strict gun controls?

LegitGamer3212

Agree and disagree. The state should ask for your arrest/convictions if you attempt to purchase a handgun. As for long guns, I don't see the point unless you were convicted of a serious crime. However having to report traffic violations seems silly. The fee and fingerprinting sounds ridiculous. I'm mixed on the psychologist though. Can't say much on that.

If you do meet the requirements, you should be able to obtain a gun. It should be may issue if you have an arrest/conviction report. I mean, not everyone who has been arrested is a criminal and the truth is, some people make stupid mistakes in their youth or even when they're adults. They should take the whole-person concept and determine whether or not he/she deserves to have the gun. However, I would imagine New York would be strict on this as well if they took this route instead.

As for your mother, you have my sympathies. Handgun requires training but long guns, not so much. She should have a rifle or shotgun to defend herself.

#31 Posted by DanteSuikoden (3418 posts) -

On paper it looks fine but when you live here and hear/witness people getting shot by the people who don't follow the law almost every other day you have to disagree.

#32 Posted by Wasdie (50640 posts) -

In my state you can walk in buy a gun and walk out with it 15 minutes later. Concealed carry is shall-issue here as well . We also have one of the lowest crime rates in the United States.

UnknownSniper65

More guns != more crime and less guns != less crime. I wish people would stop using guns as a scapegoat as gun control laws have no correlation with crime.

Check the Brady campagin against guns rating vs. gun crime. Absolutly no linear trends.

#33 Posted by bnarmz (1370 posts) -

If i was you, i would try very hard to gain one legally. If they still deny you, just get one illegally and make sure you keep it locked away. Only use it if you truly have to, and if you do have to use it, explain your postion to the authorities (again). I suspect you wont get into trouble because the athorities will look incompetent, as well as infringing on your rights to bare arms. Just something I would do. No one is going to tell me I can't protect my family when there are clear displays of crime and violence around my family.

#34 Posted by VoodooHak (15989 posts) -

I'm in The Bronx. My door was kicked in once. Fortunately, no one was home. And friends and family have been victims of various crimes.

Average NYPD response time is 8.4 minutes. If I were home when the door was kicked in, 8 minutes... heck 1 minute is not soon enough. Unfortunately, criminals aren't polite enough to wait until the police arrive. Imaging that. I fully respect and admire what our law enforcement officers do. But the truth of the matter is that they can't be everywhere all the time.

My only problem is the wealth gate they put on trying to legally get a firearm. 500 is steep. In Arizona where my folks moved to, my license to open carry is the 2nd amendment. CCW license is all of $60-ish.

#35 Posted by VoodooHak (15989 posts) -

[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

Wasdie

More guns != more crime and less guns != less crime. I wish people would stop using guns as a scapegoat as gun control laws have no correlation with crime.

Check the Brady campagin against guns rating vs. gun crime. Absolutly no linear trends.

Even the CDC could find no consistent trend when comparing crime rates before and after the implementation of gun laws.

#36 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -
No, they got my boy Plax locked up.
#37 Posted by kingkong0124 (8329 posts) -

No, they got my boy Plax locked up. -Sun_Tzu-

RGIII (Republican, btw) is winning the division son.

#38 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]No, they got my boy Plax locked up. kingkong0124

#39 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

Wasdie
Thank you! Smartest post here.
#40 Posted by Aljosa23 (25980 posts) -

All of that is fine.

#41 Posted by kingkong0124 (8329 posts) -

[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]No, they got my boy Plax locked up. -Sun_Tzu-

1262941033_eli.jpg

tumblr_mesg21c2RO1rbzuqwo2_1280.jpg

#42 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

Wasdie

:lol:

Your first part is sensible, but the later is horrible advice.

Its like saying check the NRA's stats on gun violence.

Bias begots bias.

#43 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

Don't see what the problem is for you. It is inconvenient and costs some money. So does going to the dentist. Poor muffin.

SUD123456

May issue = you can have the cleanest slate posible and be denied becuase of LOLs

#44 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

kingkong0124

1262941033_eli.jpg

tumblr_mesg21c2RO1rbzuqwo2_1280.jpg

#45 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29745 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] If is seems fine why do you have so many issues with it?

Using arrest without conviction as a criteria means you've convicted someone for something they haven't been proven to have done. And considering the innocent until proven guilty aspect of our court system....I can't agree with that. I know it's a minor thing.....but the loss of freedom often starts small. It erodes tiny piece by piece until one day....it's nonexistent. Freedom comes with a price. Sometimes a steep price. Decisions should not be made in a time of heightened emotion. I can't really see how making it tougher for law abiding citizens to get guns will stop the atrocities. Someone who has decided on that course of action isn't going to be deterred. I think we all know substitutions can be used as a means of death if someone is bent on that. We need better answers on dealing with mental illness. And before you think I'm a gun nut....I'm not. But I am a believer in the Constitution.

Only if they are currently on trial (and probably limited here to violent crimes) would the arrest be used, and in that case it seems reasonable. If you've been exonerated of a crime or charges weren't pressed, then an arrest shouldn't be held against you.
#46 Posted by SUD123456 (4538 posts) -

[QUOTE="SUD123456"]

dercoo

May issue = you can have the cleanest slate posible and be denied becuase of LOLs

May issue exists because a gangbanger can be arrested multiple times and never convicted. It is an override based on commonsense.

If everyday joe law abiding citizen is denied for LOL, no reason, a mistake, or any other excuse, he or she retains the right to appeal said denial.

An entire legal sub-industry exists just to service the roughly 1% of people who are at first denied. All it does is create more inconvenience and cost even more money, but if this mistake is theirs (the nameless faceless bureaucracy) then you have a good chance to recover the money as well.

#47 Posted by MrPraline (21331 posts) -
You need to list every arrest including ones where you're not convicted, you need to get checked out by a psychologist, you need to pay over $500 for fees and fingerprinting, they also go through your driving violations such as running a stop sign, you must pay and register every gun,LegitGamer3212
Registering your guns I could live with. I could even appreciate a decent background check. One that does not involve stop lights and speed limits of course. But the shrink is overkill, the fees are theft on top of taxes, and fingerprinting citizens is disgusting always. F*ck off NYC.
#48 Posted by Ingenemployee (2307 posts) -

I dont even like the gun laws in New York state.

#49 Posted by kingkong0124 (8329 posts) -

-Sun_Tzu-

dude you played that perfectly, lol.

#50 Posted by UnknownSniper65 (9229 posts) -

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

[QUOTE="SUD123456"]

SUD123456

May issue exists because a gangbanger can be arrested multiple times and never convicted. It is an override based on commonsense.

If everyday joe law abiding citizen is denied for LOL, no reason, a mistake, or any other excuse, he or she retains the right to appeal said denial.

An entire legal sub-industry exists just to service the roughly 1% of people who are at first denied. All it does is create more inconvenience and cost even more money, but if this mistake is theirs (the nameless faceless bureaucracy) then you have a good chance to recover the money as well.

I have no first hand experience on this issue,but from general wisdom I've heard other gun owners may-issue CCW states are well known to be difficult states to get a permit in. Local officials who don't agree with the concept of concealed carry may simply deny everyone. Even if the person issuing them takes a neutral stance most of the time they will go into the process believing that you shouldn't have a permit unless you can absolutely prove you need it.

It basically makes it very difficult for the average joe to get a permit...if not impossible in some areas.