Do you still watch full episodes the SImpsons?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Do you still watch full episodes the SImpsons? (24 votes)

Yes 38%
No 63%

Just wondering how many of you sit through entire episodes of the Simpsons now.

Related-

-

For me I usually switch over now without a seconds thought.

• 
Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

I almost never watch TV nowadays, but I might give The Simpsons a shot if they're any good. I'd be surprised if they were better than South Park.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I have the first 13 seasons on DVD. So, yeah. I'm watching Season 11 right now where Homer and Bart thought they had leprosy.

I'm not really interested at the later knock-offs such as Family Guy.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

No I stopped watching sometime in the early 00's.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I stopped watching after like season 16, half my lifetime ago. It stopped being fresh, funny and human. I haven't had TV in over a decade, but that hasn't stopped me from watching other TV shows.

I did rewatch seasons 1 to 9 about four years ago. Season 9 is when it really started to decline, I think. Kirk Van Houten casually getting his hands cut off in that season told me it had no grasp on reality anymore.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58533 Posts

I haven't had cable for like 15 years, and never a Hulu subscription. So I haven't really seen a Simpsons episode for about that long. I've seen older ones (the good ones!) on occasion at my folks place or whatever, but no.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59380 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I have the first 13 seasons on DVD. So, yeah. I'm watching Season 11 right now where Homer and Bart thought they had leprosy.

I'm not really interested at the later knock-offs such as Family Guy.

I'd argue Family Guy has always been mediocre.

As far as similar shows go, King Of Hill is god tier. It keeps the concepts of the old original Simpsons with far dryer humour, For whatever reason, it's not been broadcast over here for years, not even re-runs.

We get barraged with Family Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland show,

@PfizersaurusRex said:

I almost never watch TV nowadays, but I might give The Simpsons a shot if they're any good. I'd be surprised if they were better than South Park.

Southpark changed from fart jokes to topical, and eventually to having story-arcs.

It's done a really good job of keeping itself relevant throughout the years, even if some of the older episodes can come across as dated compared to the timelessness of prime Simpsons.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I'd have to agree with you. I think King of the Hill was great, and South Park has done a pretty decent job of staying great.

I think Family Guy had its moments, but has mostly never been as good as these other shows. I guess I just don't like that sort of humor as much.

I was never really a big fan of The Simpsons tbh. It was a part of my childhood, but I never got into the show. But I like Futurama a lot, and I enjoyed Disenchantment so far. I think Matt Groening and his crews must be pretty good at what they do. I would like to see Disenchantment come back and build upon what it started with those first few episodes - I might be in the minority, but I think they could turn it into a great little show.

I thought Home Movies was pretty great back in the day. I still never saw all of it. I remember I kinda enjoyed Mission Hill and Baby Blues when they were on Adult Swim. I haven't seen Archer in ages, but about a year ago finally watched season 6, and still enjoyed it. I'd say adult-oriented animation is still doing well. Hopefully Rick and Morty returns this year.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I'll occasionally watch the Simpsons. There okay for just something to watch. The kids don't watch it anymore though theres surprising to much drug use. It did get a bit stale but some of the newer episodes aren't bad. I always watch the Tree House of Horror episodes though.

I still watch Family Guy and South Park though, misses loves bobs burgers.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@uninspiredcup said:

As far as similar shows go, King Of Hill is god tier. It keeps the concepts of the old original Simpsons with far dryer humour, For whatever reason, it's not been broadcast over here for years, not even re-runs.

I tried watching King of the Hill and all the others. In the end, I always went back to The Simpsons. It's not like I took the show seriously. So, almost any season beyond those I already have are still okay.

Part of my DirecTV subscription is a Fox channel with almost 24/7, non-stop The Simpsons episodes. If by chance my other favorite channels aren't showing anything I'm interested in, that's the channel I default to.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I love The Simpsons and have watched them since the very beginning. Whenever I'm having a bad day Homer will always put a smile back on my face.

The one show I really miss though is Beavis and Butthead,those 2 idiots used to have me rolling with laughter at their ridiculous antics, it was great tv??

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Sometimes. It has one or two good parts every now and then.

@uninspiredcup said:

As far as similar shows go, King Of Hill is god tier.

Loading Video...
@l34052 said:

The one show I really miss though is Beavis and Butthead,those 2 idiots used to have me rolling with laughter at their ridiculous antics, it was great tv??

Yeah. Me too. Don't miss the music videos part of the show.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I tried watching King of the Hill and all the others. In the end, I always went back to The Simpsons. It's not like I took the show seriously. So, almost any season beyond those I already have are still okay.

Part of my DirecTV subscription is a Fox channel with almost 24/7, non-stop The Simpsons episodes. If by chance my other favorite channels aren't showing anything I'm interested in, that's the channel I default to.

Oh yea, I wouldn't put any of these above the Simpsons in it's prime. But as far as similar natured shows go, hard pressed to think of anything as good as King Of The Hill.

I see Rick And Morty brought up alot, I mean... it's alright. Didn't blow my socks off or anything.

-

Still waiting for the ambulance gag to be beat.

Loading Video...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@uninspiredcup said:

Oh yea, I wouldn't put any of these above the Simpsons in it's prime. But as far as similar natured shows go, hard pressed to think of anything as good as King Of The Hill.

I see Rick And Morty brought up alot, I mean... it's alright. Didn't blow my socks off or anything.

-

My favorite episode is Natural Born Kissers in Season 9.

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@uninspiredcup said:

-

My favorite episode is Natural Born Kissers in Season 9.

Loading Video...

Yea, classic episode. Most of the older ones are eminently rewatchable. Surprised they got away with showing that during day-time as well.

Overall episode, have to go for "You Only Move Twice".

There's a lot of Bond parodies but they usually straight up copy it with goofy-woofy. The Simpsons, being the Simpsons does something generally funnier and most interesting.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jun_aka_pekto
@uninspiredcup said:

Yea, classic episode. Most of the older ones are eminently rewatchable. Surprised they got away with showing that during day-time as well.

Overall episode, have to go for "You Only Move Twice".

There's a lot of Bond parodies but they usually straight up copy it with goofy-woofy. The Simpsons, being the Simpsons does something generally funnier and most interesting.

I only have the first 13 seasons on DVD. I quit buying them once we got the Fox channel with nonstop The Simpsons episodes. There were some newer ones I liked. But, I didn't bother tracking them.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

What, do you mean if I watch full episodes "now", as in current episodes?

Or are you asking if I still watch old episodes in their entirety instead of just skipping to certain parts?

If it's the former, then no. I haven't watched any new episodes of The Simpsons in like, 20 years.

If it's the latter, then hell yes. When The Simpsons was in its prime, it was amazing. And almost always holds up incredibly well even today. When I watch it old episodes I don't skip through parts of them, because it's still REALLY solid TV.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

God, I haven't watched an episode of The Simpsons in over a decade.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Isn't it the longest running TV show of all time? Its popularity had to wane sometime.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 uninspiredcup

@Boddicker said:

Isn't it the longest running TV show of all time? Its popularity had to wane sometime.

Exactly. That's when you end it.

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

I still watch them occasionely, even the new ones. The first 8 seasons is some of the best stuff there is.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18831 Posts

@warmblur said:

No I stopped watching sometime in the early 00's.

About 2000-2001 for me. TV as whole has been awful since 2000.

The 90's episodes are way better.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jun_aka_pekto

I'm sure Fox will end the series if it doesn't bring in viewers anymore. Unlike other sitcoms, it doesn't age because it's animated.

The series seems to keep step with current trends. So, while older viewers might get tired of it, there are always younger viewers who can identify with it.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10566 Posts

@uninspiredcup that's a good video, thanks.

as someone who was around from the beginning of the simpsons, it utterly pains me to attempt any episode post season 15. seasons 9 - 15 get progressively worse until anything after that is simpsons in name only. unfortunately sky one rarely show any of the early seasons any more. you only move twice is absolutely up there with the best of them alongside homer at the bat, homer the heretic, homer the great, homer the vigilante and probably several others that i'd need to remind myself of. it's almost redundant trying to pick a best ever episode due to the sheer volume of brilliant episodes.

agree about south park, it's almost the reverse of how the simpsons has evolved. the first half a dozen seasons have aged horrendously but since then the show has matured into a generally brilliant satirical commentary on modern issues and pop culture

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56441 Posts

I used to watch The Simpsons all the time back in the 90's and up until, The Simpsons Movie release in 2007, I stop watching the TV series. The Movie was "by-all-ends" it felt like the final episode of the Simpsons and afterwards, I couldn't watch the newest episode because the movie was so damn good, it should have ended when the movie released.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3498 Posts

Nah. Simpsons isn't a show I watch often

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178880 Posts

I never actually watched The Simpson's..........sorry.