Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

And what's your opinion on its current state.

As its been noted by multiple sources. Subscription cable/dish tv services, have been steadily losing subscribers. In particular, younger millennials that also make up a chunk of this forum. Have been the ones most noted for cord cutting.

I do currently have DirecTV, as our current plan is a better deal than what cable providers are offering in my area. But I do see in the age of YouTube. The cable tv model is becoming dated. Watching 30 commericals between shows I'm interested in, is pretty played out. When alternative content services have less or no ads. Only reason I personally see in having a subscription tv service. Is for professional sports, which can't be watched legally elsewhere. So what about you Gamespotters ?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

@jak42 said:

professional sports, which can't be watched legally elsewhere. So what about you Gamespotters ?

Just pointing out that this isn't strictly true with Sling's new sports packages. There's also OTA broadcasts, although their sports offerings are more limited.

I don't subscribe to cable. I actually use a mix of OTA broadcasts (streamed through the network using an HD HomeRun tuner) and network services/discs.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44139 Posts

I still subscribe to cable myself because I like to watch various sports and other live events plus certain shows and broadcasts that aren't necessarily available on streaming services. For me it's just easier and cheaper for cable then to subscribe to a bunch of different streaming services.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

I still have satellite TV, even though I rarely watch it anymore. Mainly sports, Agents of SHIELD and Arrowverse shows. HBO just recently got nuked, but I tend to wait till the DVDs for my Game of Thrones fix anyway.

I am tempted to give Netflix a try. Maybe some day.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jak42

@mattbbpl said:

Just pointing out that this isn't strictly true with Sling's new sports packages. There's also OTA broadcasts, although their sports offerings are more limited.

I don't subscribe to cable. I actually use a mix of OTA broadcasts (streamed through the network using an HD HomeRun tuner) and network services/discs.

Seems like you have some good alternatives to traditional cable/dish services.

I hope someday that services like NBA League pass. Don't black out local games. Although there are ways around those restrictions.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Haven't had Cable since Netflix started streaming. All OTA and Roku now. I use quite a few channels on the Roku, but Netflix is my only sub.

I've also been moving my DVD collection to Vudu (Disc to Digital) and paying the small fee to upgrade to HD. I'm slowly getting rid of those damn discs cluttering everything up.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jak42

@br0kenrabbit: Oh wow I never knew Vudu offered that service till now.

I don't have that many DVD's/Blu rays. But keeping clutter down is a plus. And while I was hesitant to get into Ultraviolet streaming. I suppose its not all too bad, considering that I have paid to stream movies on other services.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#8 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@jak42:

Nope, just Netflix, Hulu and all that other jazz. **** cable/satellite TV.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Hell yes. It's how I watch the Penguins.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl

@br0kenrabbit said:

Haven't had Cable since Netflix started streaming. All OTA and Roku now. I use quite a few channels on the Roku, but Netflix is my only sub.

I've also been moving my DVD collection to Vudu (Disc to Digital) and paying the small fee to upgrade to HD. I'm slowly getting rid of those damn discs cluttering everything up.

I can't help but ask - what value proposition do you see in hosting your discs on Vudu?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I do. I have a set of channels I would like to keep and until I'm assured that I'll be able to get all of them without having to get various different subscriptions I'll remain tethered to good ol', imperfect, bloated and inneficient cable TV.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60c6d07310a
deactivated-5b60c6d07310a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b60c6d07310a
Member since 2015 • 357 Posts

At this time last year I was moving into my first house, and I wanted to weigh my options for TV and internet service, as I had TWC the past four years. I never had issues with any of their services (gasp), but the bills were starting to rise and I was paying for the full TV package, which has way more channels than I care to ever watch. The deal-breaker was with the regional sports (I live in upstate NY and am a big Yankees fan, so YES was a must). Ultimately I was swayed into moving my existing service and tacking on a basic security system for a price I was willing to pay. One year later, still no major issues - I've only gotten short outages twice. What I dread in the coming year is when that promotional price runs out - I'm afraid my bill will double in size or more.

The only options in my area are TWC and Verizon FiOS (which isn't available everywhere, but I'm 99% sure I can get it if I want it). The security system ended up being under contract for some time, but once that contract is up (or sooner, since TWC's new owner Charter is thinking of killing it), I may end up re-evaluating my options. I'm considering ditching the TWC service at that time to get FiOS internet with OTA local channels and DirectTV Now for everything else (including YES), but I'll know for sure when the time comes.

What I don't like is the whole fragmentation of the streaming market, but that's another story.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mattbbpl

@Master_Live said:

I do. I have a set of channels I would like to keep and until I'm assured that I'll be able to get all of them without having to get various different subscriptions I'll remain tethered to good ol', imperfect, bloated and inneficient cable TV.

I, for one, thank you for fully supporting the channels which produce a single show I like to watch :-P

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

My wife and I cut the cable a few years ago and haven't looked back. Netflix has more than satisfied our needs.

All we ever watched when we had cable was Food Network.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: "It's how I watch the Penguins."

Blackhawks>>>>>>Penguins

Kane/Towes>>>>>>Crosby

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mattbbpl

@foxhound_fox said:

My wife and I cut the cable a few years ago and haven't looked back. Netflix has more than satisfied our needs.

I always viewed those type of channels (Food network, HGTV, etc) as "filler" channels. I later found out that a lot of people I know have them on their "must have" list.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that. Maybe it's just a habit thing? I have no idea, LOL.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

I cut the cord, oh, 4 or 5 years ago. I honestly haven't missed it.

Many channels I used to love turned to shit before I cut the cord. History Channel and Discovery turned into crap Reality TV channels...gone were Modern Marvels, The Universe, Storm Chasers, Engineering programs like Build it Bigger, etc. Espn has absolutely been ruined by Disney; I almost never watched before I finally rid myself of cable.

I get by on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and over-the-air digital broadcasts. I'm thinking about building a RetroPie, which I believe comes with Kodi. My understanding is that, with Kodi, you can find just about anything you can imagine available to stream.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago -- is there an option, better than DirecTV and a DVR? If I want to watch ESPN, HBO, Comedy Central, Discovery, HGTV, ABC, CBS, Fox, NFL Network (mainly college and NFL football for the networks) is DirecTV my best (cheapest and easiest) option?

For sports, there is no better option, that I am aware of, than DirecTV.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

I got Netflix and Playstation Vue, and they serve their purpose just fine. Got tired of paying for cable for channels I don't watch. Also have Amazon Prime, but I got it more for shopping purposes than watching their streaming service.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Me and my wife just use streaming services like Netflix. We have no plan on going to cable/satellite.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

I always viewed those type of channels (Food network, HGTV, etc) as "filler" channels. I later found out that a lot of people I know have them on their "must have" list.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that. Maybe it's just a habit thing? I have no idea, LOL.

We both love food. Cooking it, eating it, going to restaurants. Shows like Cutthroat Kitchen are infinitely more entertaining than 99% of the fluff on TV these days.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 br0kenrabbit

@mattbbpl said:

I can't help but ask - what value proposition do you see in hosting your discs on Vudu?

I don't have to keep up with them. They can't be lost. They can't be stolen/borrowed. I don't have to physically browse through them. I can access them wherever.

Just off the top of my head.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mattbbpl

@br0kenrabbit said:
@mattbbpl said:

I don't have to keep up with them. They can't be lost. They can't be stolen/borrowed. I don't have to physically browse through them. I can access them wherever.

Just off the top of my head.

Just curious. I do something similar, but I file them myself rather than with an external service.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@R3FURBISHED said:

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago -- is there an option, better than DirecTV and a DVR? If I want to watch ESPN, HBO, Comedy Central, Discovery, HGTV, ABC, CBS, Fox, NFL Network (mainly college and NFL football for the networks) is DirecTV my best (cheapest and easiest) option?

This is close from SlingTV. If you're willing to lose ESPN and keep NFL Network you can drop down a tier. If you'd rather have ESPN than the NFL Network you can drop to the cheapest tier.

ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox you can probably get OTA.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 br0kenrabbit

@mattbbpl said:

Just curious. I do something similar, but I file them myself rather than with an external service.

I use Vudu because at the time they were the only place that could host UV and Disney movies under one service. Not sure if that's still true, but most movies register under either UV or Disney Anywhere so I could access them from another service if I wanted to.

UV is owned by the studios minus Disney which has DA: I'm not worried about either service disappearing in my lifetime.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mattbbpl

@br0kenrabbit said:
@mattbbpl said:

I use Vudu because at the time they were the only place that could host UV and Disney movies under one service. Not sure if that's still true, but most movies register under either UV or Disney Anywhere so I could access them from another service if I wanted to.

UV is owned by the studios minus Disney which has DA: I'm not worried about either service disappearing in my lifetime.

Ah, now it makes sense. Thanks for the enlightenment.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@R3FURBISHED said:

This is close from SlingTV. If you're willing to lose ESPN and keep NFL Network you can drop down a tier. If you'd rather have ESPN than the NFL Network you can drop to the cheapest tier.

ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox you can probably get OTA.

But that still doesn't allow me to record, the convenience of a DVR cannot be overstated.

EDIT: Apparently Sling has a cloud DVR in beta...which, apparently, you have to apply for due to capacity issues.

As of now I do not see a better option for sports fans than DirecTV. Granted NFL package is ~$200, but there is no better way to watch the NFL.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 br0kenrabbit

@mattbbpl said:

Do you dislike Vudu?

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jak42

@mattbbpl said:
@foxhound_fox said:

I love Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri. Even though it often makes me wish I was eating what they were presenting on tv.

HGTV can get pretty addicting. I'm not a fan of all the shows they have. But professionally done home renovations is like an art. There's so much customization and styles to fit a variety of living situations and personal preferences. And it teaches you how simple things like a choice of paint color. Can make rooms feel bigger than they actually are. Along with other things to increase the charm and comfort of your home. The channel is also helping to lead the way for the growing tiny house/micro living movement in America. Which has become a huge blessing for many Americans looking to increase their household income.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jak42

@bforrester420 said:

Many channels I used to love turned to shit before I cut the cord. History Channel and Discovery turned into crap Reality TV channels...gone were Modern Marvels, The Universe, Storm Chasers, Engineering programs like Build it Bigger, etc. Espn has absolutely been ruined by Disney; I almost never watched before I finally rid myself of cable.

History channel has really gone to shit. I will admit I enjoyed some of their non-history shows for a season, but a name change is long overdue. Fortunately YouTube is filled with tons of documentaries and history related things available for viewing. Even though I'm not always in the mood to sit down for a 30-45 minute show.

I also stopped watching ESPN, outside of sport broadcasts unavailable elsewhere. Sport specific networks like NBA TV, provide me with more professional anchors. And I don't have to wait 15 minutes, and go through 2-3 commercial breaks. Before I get the news I want that ESPN sees as a low priority.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mattbbpl

@br0kenrabbit said:
@mattbbpl said:

Do you dislike Vudu?

I have nothing against others using it :-P

It's just not for me. At least not their "put my disc onto the cloud in digital form for an additional fee" service. They seem to have some additional services that may be worth checking out since the last time I looked into them.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I have cable because my apartment complex requires it, and with Plex, Netflix, and dvds I basically get no use out of it. Every once in a while my girlfriend will turn it on for comedy central, but that's about it.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

SatelliteTV here ( SKY )

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Nah. Netflix, Hulu, and others cover all my needs. We also have an HD Antenna for local broadcasts but we never use it. I dropped cable almost 8 years ago.

-Byshop

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

DirecTV with the Watch Anywhere feature. I love it whether it's Live TV (sports, news) or browse On Demand stuff such as Pawn Stars and The Universe. I normally have it fullscreen. But, I windowed the show to expose the channels listing.

There's also the choice of watching on TV, mobile, or PC....Oh. we also have Netflix. I don't watch it too often except to get my Star Trek fix.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts

When I was living at my parent's house which was for the past few years I was splurging on their satellite. Now that I moved out, I just have a roku tv with the apps and such. Stream mostly from my amazon video library and the youtube app.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jak42

@jun_aka_pekto: The DirecTV UI does seem far better than what we were getting from Cablevision. Which after having FiOS for a few years, I saw how outdated and slow Cablevision service was.

Haven't really put time aside to really learn the DirecTV UI and channels though. The main ones who watch tv in our house is my parents. And they are very happy to have some spanish channels we used to have on FiOS included in our package.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

Get everything via fiber.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@Master_Live said:

I, for one, thank you for fully supporting the channels which produce a single show I like to watch :-P

You are welcome, sir!

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

I have Dish Network. I have considered moving off of satellite to something like playstation vue but it's my understanding they don't get all of the sports that dish gets and there isn't a perfected DVR system setup?

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

I haven't had cable/sat in almost 6 years. I have an HD antenna I use to watch locals, sports mostly. I subscribe to Hulu Plus and MLB.TV. I share a Netflix account with my parents/sister. I also use a family log in to use apps like ESPN, etc. I don't ever miss anything. The best way to go I think if you have to have something is to get the absolute cheapest cable or sat package you can and just use the login for apps. With the apps available on XBONE/PS4/Fire/etc. there's no reason to have a giant cable bill.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

Yes. Spectrum. My wife's job requires a landline.

The way these nefarious cable companies structure it, it's unnecessarily expensive to have internet and a landline w/o cable. The package is more sensible. If that situation changes anytime soon, then yeah we're cutting the cord.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

I still have cable tv, but I'm slowly looking voor alternatives. I find myself more and more in the position that i have like 70 or so channels and nothing good to watch.. plus the enldless commercials are a pain in the ass.

I'm sharing a netflix account with my sister because its so limited here in the netherlands to pay full price for it.

Its only because of that, that I'm still holding on to my cable service.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I have the basic basic cable TV. The first 20 channels or so. I used to think it was good for public broadcasts, but most of that is available online these days.

The Verdict: It's useless.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PSP107

@itstotallymike: "I also use a family log in to use apps like ESPN, etc. "

Isn't that illegal?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I still subscribe to cable myself because I like to watch various sports and other live events plus certain shows and broadcasts that aren't necessarily available on streaming services. For me it's just easier and cheaper for cable then to subscribe to a bunch of different streaming services.

similar situation here. though we do have a bunch of streaming services as well for content that is not on cable. mostly accounts shared between family members so we're not actually paying for all of them ourselves :)

also have a dvr which handles commercials nicely. tivo came out w/ a full 1 button commercial break skip feature last year which is fantastic.

@shellcase86 said:

Yes. Spectrum. My wife's job requires a landline.

The way these nefarious cable companies structure it, it's unnecessarily expensive to have internet and a landline w/o cable. The package is more sensible. If that situation changes anytime soon, then yeah we're cutting the cord.

same here. my wife works from home and is constantly on the phone. actually cheaper to get all 3 services bundled than to pay for just phone/internet.. would have to do some research to see if just internet would be cheaper though and try some kind of voip thing.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PSP107

@jak42:

Yeah ESPN fell off. The only main thing(outside of sports events) I like is Around The Horn.

@jun_aka_pekto said:

There's also the choice of watching on TV, mobile, or PC....

I have that with Xfinity (Comcast). When at home, I can watch any channel(that I'm subscribed to) on my smartphone.

But it's limited outside your home to a few channels. Is Direct TV the same?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@jak42 said:

@jun_aka_pekto: The DirecTV UI does seem far better than what we were getting from Cablevision. Which after having FiOS for a few years, I saw how outdated and slow Cablevision service was.

Haven't really put time aside to really learn the DirecTV UI and channels though. The main ones who watch tv in our house is my parents. And they are very happy to have some spanish channels we used to have on FiOS included in our package.

The free On Demand is really convenient. It's almost like Netflix. The Live TV is just that. You view whatever is live on DirecTV at that moment, including all the commercials. Excellent for sports or breaking news.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56072 Posts

@SOedipus said:

Me and my wife just use streaming services like Netflix. We have no plan on going to cable/satellite.

Yep, same for us as well. We go by Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus. on the low low. Even our daughter doesn't watch TV at all and just plays her Wii U.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#50  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts
@pyro1245 said:

I have the basic basic cable TV. The first 20 channels or so. I used to think it was good for public broadcasts, but most of that is available online these days.

The Verdict: It's useless.

Pretty much this.