soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

I'm a pretty big comic reader but lately I've started to hate western comics...Hate May be a strong word but starting to dislike might be more appropriate. I've been reading a lot more manga and have been enjoying it greatly. I find it awesome that for most manga, like Bleach, One Piece and many others that story and art is done by the same person. Thats so cool. I also enjoy the characters much more then western comics because I feel like they are more far more easy to connect with even if they are doing ridiculous things.

Its also much easier to get into a manga series, which it usually just being straight through the series with the occasional spinoff book. Western Comics on the other hand are all over the damn place!

I don't think I'm done reading western comics but I think I might take a break...What are your guys thoughts on Manga and Western Comics?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Wannabe weebos and idiot teenagers reads manga , any sane person reads western comics or books as they far superior in content and literature ( TinTin , Asterix And Obelix , DC , Marvel )

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Comics.

Haven't read a manga in a while.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Comics are garbage whereas manga is at least enjoyable. Furthermore, if you look around well enough its guaranteed that you'll find a manga that will knock you off your feet. Most importantly however, manga tries to be creative and original, it tries to bring something new to the table and it often succeeds whereas western comics have been rehashing the same shit over and over again. I have no idea why people still buy comics.

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 soapman72

@jeager_titan: I started reading Preacher...Its pretty good...But yea the Walking Dead is awesome (Comic book)...But its been a little all over the place this story arc...hopefully they can get things back together...Like the Username :)

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soapman72

@GazaAli: I think its also awesome that there is a manga for everyone...Teens, adults and even young kids...It has really adapted while Comics aren't doing anything but making movies...The end of comics is being brought by comic book creators themselves

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GazaAli

@soapman72 said:

@GazaAli: I think its also awesome that there is a manga for everyone...Teens, adults and even young kids...It has really adapted while Comics aren't doing anything but making movies...The end of comics is being brought by comic book creators themselves

You made an excellent point that slipped my mind which is the fact that there is virtually a manga for everyone out there. No matter what your age is or what your preferences/strokes might be there's an extremely high chance that you'll find something that you'll enjoy. I came across mangas back when I was big on manga/anime that were based on the least expected and most niche topics and subjects you could think of.

Comics on the other hand...lol

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 soapman72

@GazaAli: Exactly, While Comic Books aren't always about super heroes in tights its mostly made of this sort of thing. Manga on the other hand is everything from the story of a state alchemist (Fullmetal Alchemist) or even something like Sakura Trick which is about 2 girls who try to keep their friendship special by being involved sexually involved with each other...Theres something for everyone

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I've never been a manga fan, but I read western comics for close to 20 years. I fell out of it in my mid 20's. I stupidly sold all my comic books for next to nothing to support my alcoholism.

I guess I'm just not that big a weeaboo, though I know a few people that's all they read.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@GazaAli said:

Comics are garbage whereas manga is at least enjoyable. Furthermore, if you look around well enough its guaranteed that you'll find a manga that will knock you off your feet. Most importantly however, manga tries to be creative and original, it tries to bring something new to the table and it often succeeds whereas western comics have been rehashing the same shit over and over again. I have no idea why people still buy comics.

This is so absurd on so many levels. There are way more Western comics than just superhero shit from DC and Marvel and I guarantee that western comics have way more universal appeal than manga.

also, western comic art is MUCH better. That isn't even up for debate.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 indzman

@Aljosa23 said:

@GazaAli said:

This is so absurd on so many levels. There are way more Western comics than just superhero shit from DC and Marvel and I guarantee that western comics have way more universal appeal than manga.

Agree completely XD !

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GazaAli

@Aljosa23 said:

@GazaAli said:

Yet we only hear about shit from DC universe and Marvel Heroes. Your statement that western comics have way more universal appeal than manga made me chuckle, not that universal appeal is necessarily a valid criterion to judge the quality of any work anyway. In fact I could argue the complete opposite.

Western comics art is MUCH better? What are you on brother Aljosa? I'd like to see a specimen of that superior art of yours and be my own judge if I'm not asking too much of you.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By indzman

@jeager_titan said:

@indzman said:

Wannabe weebos and idiot teenagers reads manga , any sane person reads western comics or books as they far superior in content and literature ( TinTin , Asterix And Obelix , DC , Marvel )

No just no.

On topic, I enjoy them both but yeah I agree western comics are all over the place.That's why I prefer manga. But I did enjoyed comics like Y:the last man, the walking dead etc.

Just messing around , take no offense =P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@indzman: Best part of this thread is OP using One Piece and Bleach as examples LOL

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 Mercuria1_King
Member since 2014 • 278 Posts

Comics

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 indzman

gaza weeboo confirmed LOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@GazaAli said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@GazaAli said:

Yet we only hear about shit from DC universe and Marvel Heroes. Your statement that western comics have way more universal appeal than manga made me chuckle, not that universal appeal is necessarily a valid criterion to judge the quality of any work anyway. In fact I could argue the complete opposite.

Western comics art is MUCH better? What are you on brother Aljosa? I'd like to see a specimen of that superior art of yours and be my own judge if I'm not asking too much of you.

Just because you only hear about stuff from DC and Marvel doesn't mean others don't exist lol. By that logic the only manga that matters is popular shonen garbage like the crap OP listed. Of course I wouldn't critique something on the basis of universal appeal but even in this thread people are saying manga has stuff that "appeals to everyone", which is silly since to enjoy manga in the first place you need to get past the usual tropes and culture shock of it. Western comics are much more varied since when I say "Western", that is North America and then Europe like Belgium and France. Here are examples of Western comic art:

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By indzman

To gaza

manga art

comics arts

need i go on more ? =P

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

@GazaAli said:

I'd like to see a specimen of that superior art of yours and be my own judge if I'm not asking too much of you.

Do a google search on Don Lawrence if you don't know him yet.

I will not say it's "superior" or anything. After all, it's a subjective thing like any art form.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GazaAli

@indzman said:

To gaza

manga art

comics arts

need i go on more ? =P

You don't actually since that specimen of manga art you provided looks much better than the comics art's, keeping in mind that you provided that manga specimen with the intention of discrediting manga so its safe to assume that it is not of the highest quality as opposed to the intention behind that other cover. All I see in that black widow cover is an attempt to draw a realistically looking sexy babe, it lacks imagination.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Prefer the art work of western for sure, vastly superior.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GazaAli

@Aljosa23 said:

@GazaAli said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@GazaAli said:

Just because you only hear about stuff from DC and Marvel doesn't mean others don't exist lol. By that logic the only manga that matters is popular shonen garbage like the crap OP listed. Of course I wouldn't critique something on the basis of universal appeal but even in this thread people are saying manga has stuff that "appeals to everyone", which is silly since to enjoy manga in the first place you need to get past the usual tropes and culture shock of it. Western comics are much more varied since when I say "Western", that is North America and then Europe like Belgium and France. Here are examples of Western comic art:

Vast majority of manga fans read a variety of works beside the popular shounen crap. In fact I might argue that the popular shounen crap is mainly for teenagers which are only a portion of manga's fan base and is usually just for quick consumption. They'd even invest their time and money in obscure mangakas and their works. I can't say the same about western comics. It wouldn't be truthful to argue against the premise that DC Universe and Marvel Heroes dominate the western comics market and that obscure comics artists are quite marginal with regard to the fan base and the business as a whole. Furthermore, manga constitutes a rich and diverse culture on its own, with innumerable offshoots, franchises, industries, clubs, conventions...etc. I'm not sure if one can say the same about comics. Probably not though.

You seem to be confusing diversity and variety with universal appeal. They're completely different concepts. What I was arguing in favor of manga was the reality that mangakas are willing and often encouraged to explore all possibilities and exert their imagination . I can't say comics artists have the same luxury or willingness for that matter. It can be attributed to cultural differences I guess.

I'v taken a look at all the specimens you provided and none of them did it for me. I just don't find the art style of western comics appealing. It looks bland, dull and unimaginative. It fails to entice in me any reaction or curiosity whatsoever.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Is that sigourney weaver?

TOPIC: Manga.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GazaAli

@killerfist said:

@GazaAli said:

I'd like to see a specimen of that superior art of yours and be my own judge if I'm not asking too much of you.

Do a google search on Don Lawrence if you don't know him yet.

I will not say it's "superior" or anything. After all, it's a subjective thing like any art form.

Het spijt me, Ik vind zijn kunst niet leuk :3

But yes I agree, it really boils down to the fact that different folks have different strokes. With that said, manga is superior :3

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#30 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:

@uninspiredcup: Is that sigourney weaver?

TOPIC: Manga.

Could be. It was an 80's comic, she was at her peak in the 80's and it's fairly common to use movie stars as reference material.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts
@soapman72 said:
I find it awesome that story and art is done by the same person. Thats so cool.

it could be a negative point in most cases since it contradicts professionalism.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Both have a lot of good stuff to offer. On the whole I like comics more, but some of the best manga (BLAME!, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind) give the best comics a run for their money.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I'm a western comic man myself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

I like comics and manga about the same, but I prefer comics a little more; I like stuff like Casper the Friendly Ghoust, Little Lulu, Hot Stuff the Little Devil, The Smurfs, Marsupilami, Heathcliff, Garfield etc.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@VaguelyTagged said:
@soapman72 said:
I find it awesome that story and art is done by the same person. Thats so cool.

it could be a negative point in most cases since it contradicts professionalism.

In what way? How does that contradict professionalism?

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Neither. I would rather wait until someone makes a movie or anime out of it.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

@GazaAli said:

Het spijt me, Ik vind zijn kunst niet leuk :3

But yes I agree, it really boils down to the fact that different folks have different strokes. With that said, manga is superior :3

Ieder zijn smaak ;) Het Nederlands schrijven (typen) gaat je goed af. Goed zo!

I think what I like about western comics that there are so many different styles. With Manga I get the feeling always that there aren't as many. But I'm not that educated with Mangas so I could be horribly wrong.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Neither, cave paintings are the way to roll.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#39 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Neither

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I prefer neither, but I generally prefer the movies and TV shows based off of manga novels than I do for comics, but I generally prefer western comic source material when it comes to games over the manga source material.

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 soapman72

@Aljosa23: Whats wrong with Bleach and One Piece? I used them as examples of Manga's made by one person...Obviously your a hipster if you hate some of the most popular anime ever made...I never said they were the best Manga but there's no need to be a pretentious douche bag...

thecruzan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thecruzan
Member since 2014 • 106 Posts

@Aljosa23: Manga has wider variety of genres, stories, and styles. It's also for everyone. And instead of making about 47 alternate timelines and villains who never learn from their past twelve mistakes, manga actually end. Comics are okay but manga is superior.

thecruzan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 thecruzan
Member since 2014 • 106 Posts

@Aljosa23: Manga has wider variety of genres, stories, and styles. It's also for everyone. And instead of making about 47 alternate timelines and villains who never learn from their past twelve mistakes, manga actually end. Comics are okay but manga is superior.