Do you listen to the same music as you did in High School?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I do more or less but there definitely has been bands I discovered but most of them are pre-2000's I just can't stand music today. I guess I have become that old man that hates the shit that kids listen to these days. What about you? do you listen to the same music as you did in High School?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14818 Posts

Yes, and I listen to newer stuff and genres I didn't listen to in high school as well. I listen to almost anything now except for thrash/growl metal and dubstep. When I was in high school I listened to grunge, hard rock, and nu metal almost exclusively. Those genres are still some of my favourite to listen to but hard (not really) to find. They don't show up often on top 40.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Yes, that, plus other stuff.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58439 Posts

No. In fact I tend to avoid it.

Foo Fighters, Red hot Chili Peppers, Nickelback, Rage Against the Machine, Korn, and so on? Get that shit away from me. Yeah as a teenager that didn't know better and existed in the pre-internet days, what they played on the radio was what I listened to.

But now that I have a choice (thanks, internet!) I can choose what I want to listen to. I mean don't get me wrong, I don't regret listening to the shit I listened to, but my eyes have been opened, is all.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Yes, but also a ton of newer stuff. My genres have gotten smaller though, I used to listen to rock, metal, pop, hip hop, rap, now its mostly just rock and metal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@mrbojangles25 said:

Foo Fighters, Red hot Chili Peppers, Nickelback, Rage Against the Machine, Korn, and so on? Get that shit away from me. Yeah as a teenager that didn't know better and existed in the pre-internet days, what they played on the radio was what I listened to.

But now that I have a choice (thanks, internet!) I can choose what I want to listen to. I mean don't get me wrong, I don't regret listening to the shit I listened to, but my eyes have been opened, is all.

Yeah, that's honestly the best thing about music these days it's so easy find and listen to any song you ever wanted. Sometimes I like to just chill to a ambient videogame soundtrack while browsing the web.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50624 Posts

Pretty much. Rock, metal, 80s/90s pop.

I like some rap from the 90s, but don't really listen to it.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Yeah, it's still pretty much hip hop. My options have shrunk, though, as most hip hop that comes out today is trash. I know that's a common thing to say "today's music sucks", but in comparison to bad music that came out in the 90s, the 2010s have definitely gotten worse.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

Nope, in high school I mostly listened to metal and death metal. These days I listen mostly to pop, soul and funk. I'm actually a big fan of Taylor Swift 😄

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

Not so much. My musical taste expanded quite a bit but I still listen to some of that music when the mood strikes.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56296 Posts

I listen to Linkin Park during my Freshman year and so on. Breaking Benjamin, Offspring, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, just about any Rock music that I hardly didn't like. For Hip-Hop was, I enjoy listening to Tupac, Ludacris, and stuff like that from the 90's only.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23047 Posts

I've been eclectic since early high school, but as my experience has broadened so have my sources.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mrbojangles25

@warmblur said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

But now that I have a choice (thanks, internet!) I can choose what I want to listen to. ...

Yeah, that's honestly the best thing about music these days it's so easy find and listen to any song you ever wanted. Sometimes I like to just chill to a ambient videogame soundtrack while browsing the web.

People that say "music these days is terrible" have just given up, have stopped looking for something they like.

Music is just as good as it has always been, if not better.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115434 Posts

Some of it I do. The music from today.... there is just no comparison.
I often find myself going back because I find it to be better than most stuff out today.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Well, I listened to 60's and 70's classic rock up until high school, then punk/new wave my last 2 years of high school.......but these days I'm coming to the conclusion the late 60's had the very best music of all, most of it psychedelic. I still love my 70's, 80's, and 90's music as well, but the late 60's were a breed apart, a perfect storm.

I mean...only in the late 60's can you get a great psychedelic song like "Porpoise Song" by The Monkees of all people. Mickey Dolenz really did have a great voice for psychedelic music. From the psychedelic comedy movie "Head"

So, sit back, get your weed, and tune in.....

Loading Video...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:

People that say "music these days is terrible" have just given up, have stopped looking for something they like.

You can find good music yes. But pop did get worse.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Yeah and the band still is making music.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@LJS9502_basic said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:

You can find good music yes. But pop did get worse.

And mainstream rock is pretty much dead.

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts

Yes, definitely, but I think my musical choices have aged more gracefully since I was into a lot of classic rock, 80's, and even 90's grunge and alternative, etc., but also, I wasn't into bands like Marcy Playground or I guess around college age, Yellowcard, which were kind of one-hit wonders.

Still looking for new music today which is cool and haven't really dug down and settled into listening to the same 20 artists.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Nope. Now listen to music that is in another language.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

Yes I do, but I have also expanded into things I didn't like in High School. Don't care much for new music, but I also don't listen to am/fm radio anymore so I don't get subjected to a lot of new music.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Some of it, yeah.

Actually, two of my my favorite groups are the ones I started listening to and found an interest in early on. For much of my childhood and teenage years I didn't really listen to much music - it wasn't until I was in 10th or 11th grade that I really realized I had musical preferences.

But I guess everytime I think about it, music played a pretty big part of my life from my earliest days. I remember being less than a year old and crawling around my old household, watching and listening to 80's videos on VH1.

My older sister would always buy CDs and listen to MTV and helped influence a lot of my tastes over the years, she is really to thank for introducing me to a lot of great music as it was happening.

I can easily think back to some music I liked in 2006 or some music I liked as recently as 4 years ago and kind of cringe. I think people are kidding themselves a bit if they think they're immune to having poor tastes now lol.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2082 Posts

I went through an elitist phase in High school and used to listen to so much Death Metal. I was one of those rap is crap guys.

Now as a 27 year old, I'm listening to heaps of Psychedelic Trance and I do enjoy Hip hop however I'm having a hard time listening to the brutal death metal I used to enjoy in high school which is really ironic.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8783 Posts

I'm 40. I still listen to old school bands at work.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#28 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Yep.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Kind of. I listened to a lot of angry music back in the day. Then I got away from that and spent a lot of time getting into folk and new folk. Recently, though, I've gone back to some of my old stuff and really gotten into it again. It is strange listening to James Taylor one day, Sex Pistols the next, and Rage Against the Machine the next, but I enjoy it.

@mrbojangles25 said:

Nickelback is horrible, but most of those other bands are awesome, no shame in listening to them. Korn I'm a little split on. I can't decide if I think they're a little too emo and basic with their guitar work, or if they do enough with integrating unconventional instruments and singing methods to make up for it. I've been branching out into playing percussion recently, and I really dig what they do with not just relying on drums and cymbals for their beat. Plus, you know, bagpipes.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrbojangles25

@theone86: I think the problem isn't necessarily that I think they are bad, or unskilled, or anything like that. It's just the radio killed it for me. How many times per day can you stand to listen to ADIDAS? Californication? Bulls on Parade?

For me, I can only listen to those songs three times per day for a month or two before I am over them.

I hear them on the radio today? I groan, and then change the song.

It doesn't just stop with the songs of my youth, either. This applies to classics like Led Zepelin, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, and so on.

There's a whole lot of great music out there, it's really shitty that radio decides only one or two songs from each performer or group are worthy of air time.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7336 Posts

I still listen to some of the stuff I liked in high school, which was mostly punk and metal, but my tastes have broadened quite a bit. Progressive rock and electronica are probably my favorite genres nowadays. Though, as a father of a 4-year old, I'm listening to Disney sound tracks more than anything else. And I'll admit, most of them are pretty good :).

Looking forward to Frozen 2.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

@theone86: I think the problem isn't necessarily that I think they are bad, or unskilled, or anything like that. It's just the radio killed it for me. How many times per day can you stand to listen to ADIDAS? Californication? Bulls on Parade?

For me, I can only listen to those songs three times per day for a month or two before I am over them.

I hear them on the radio today? I groan, and then change the song.

It doesn't just stop with the songs of my youth, either. This applies to classics like Led Zepelin, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, and so on.

There's a whole lot of great music out there, it's really shitty that radio decides only one or two songs from each performer or group are worthy of air time.

That's true, but then again I haven't listened to the actual radio in ages. At most I listen to satellite, and there's always an alternative if something comes on that I'm bored of. Most of the time I just listen to an entire album. And yeah, I do get sick of some albums after a while, but I almost always come back to them. I recently went through a Rage phase after not listening to them for a while and loved it. I can always come back to the artists I really like after taking a break from them. It's sad that radio is dead nowadays. It used to be that DJ's would actually listen to new albums and mix in other songs from the album and B-sides and such with singles, but those days are long gone. David Fricke actually has a show on Sirius XM where he does that, if you can find it on the internet somewhere I'd highly recommend it. Sad, though, that he's like the last woolly mammoth. In his honor:

https://youtu.be/6Knw_GxXPHg

Michael668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Michael668
Member since 2019 • 13 Posts

yess..

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

Considering that my music taste really started to branch off in my middle and high school years after hearing almost nothing but radio friendly oldies ,80s and classic rock in my childhood I'd say that it really has.

claymoreman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 claymoreman23
Member since 2019 • 302 Posts

I rep incubus, arctic monkeys, hip hop , etc. I like a lot of new wave nowadays.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

I grew up listening to stuff older than I was: The Beatles, The Doors, CCR, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the like. When I did get interested in current music it wasn't the radio or MTV stuff, it was hardcore punk. Then satire punk (think Dead Milkmen). Grunge burst onto the scene my last years in high school and I wasn't too crazy about much of that.

I still listen to my old favorites, classic rock (60's 70's stuff) in particular, but lately I've been getting really into a lot of chill ambient stuff. Still Corners are a recently discovered favorite.

Loading Video...

QuietRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 QuietRaven
Member since 2015 • 108 Posts

Mostly not. But some. In High School I listened to a lot more sad/angry/emo music and nowadays it's a lot more varied. Still mostly rock/metal though.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#38 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6103 Posts

I still listen to bands like AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Sex Pistols, Ozzy, old Metallica, not the junk after the Justice album. Honorable mentions are Buddy Holly, The Beatles, Elvis, etc...

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

High school playlist:
- 85% alternative rock and post-grunge;
- 10% pop and pop rock;
- 5% techno

Current playlist:
- 25% film and video game soundtracks;
- 25% ambient and post rock
- 15% alternative rock and indie rock
- 10% Cantopop
- 5% retrowave and synthwave
- 5% 80s pop
- 5% Chinese instrumental
- 5% classical
- 5% electronic and techno

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

I still listen to my favorites at the time, except they're not my favorites anymore.

NoRemorse13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NoRemorse13
Member since 2003 • 3476 Posts

They say that most people tend to listen to the music they grew up listening to during their formative years. I am 31 now. My pre-teen and teen years were spent listening to a lot of NuMetal, MetalCore and some alternative. To this say, I still rock out to Limp Bizkit, Creed, Primmer 55, Diecast and Killswitch Engage while at my desk job.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#44 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3659 Posts

I kinda still do but listen to metal mostly.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8445 Posts

Lol not really.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1262 Posts

Various metal/rock/numetal was my favorite in highschool and still is about 8/9 years later.

I do listen to more stuff, particularly when I'm working. I've come to like trance and synth-wave.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

No, was mostly moody teen metal way back then. These days I guess I have more of an eclectic taste but trip-hop/lo fi hip hop I find I could listen to any time.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#48 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I still wear my "The Killers - Hot Fuss" T-shirt loud and proud.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#49  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19649 Posts

I still listen to the music from my high school days, along with a bunch of other stuff I discovered much later on.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@warmblur: Some yes, some no.