Do you like to go fishing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16431 posts) -

Just wondered who are the fishermen here besides me. I am going fishing tomoroow. Am hoping I can catch some Walleye.

Here is my reel

Not a photo I took, but that is the same reel I have. It is a

Quantum Energy PTi Spinning Reel

Here is my rod

It is a

St. Croix Premier Spinning Rod

What is your favorite rod/reel combo (clearly this isn't my only pole, just my favorite)? What do you like to fish for the most?

#2 Posted by Iszdope (9383 posts) -

No.

I find it boring and cruel.

#3 Posted by gamerguru100 (10374 posts) -

I have little experience fishing. I remember an ice fishing trip with my stepdad when I was little.

1. I was freezing my ass off.

2. I had to walk a freaking light year to the other side of the lake to take a piss in the port-a-potty. I don't get why it wasn't just by the fishing area.

3. I was freezing my ass off.

4. We didn't catch a damn thing.

5. Did I mention I was freezing my ass off?

#4 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16431 posts) -

@gamerguru100 said:

I have little experience fishing. I remember an ice fishing trip with my stepdad when I was little.

1. I was freezing my ass off.

2. I had to walk a freaking light year to the other side of the lake to take a piss in the port-a-potty. I don't get why it wasn't just by the fishing area.

3. I was freezing my ass off.

4. We didn't catch a damn thing.

5. Did I mention I was freezing my ass off?

I have never been ice fishing and not sure I will even want to because I don't want to freeze my ass off.

#5 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16431 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

No.

I'll be sure to post a video just for you of a fish flopping around on land.

#6 Posted by Dogswithguns (10665 posts) -

not really... but I love eating fish.

#7 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15724 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa:

Yup. Perch and bass. Dip the fillets in Shake n Bake and then fry em. That plus beer. Mmm.

#8 Posted by musicalmac (22650 posts) -

I'm a big fan, it's relaxing. I usually cast against a shoreline for pike and bass, love my casting reel (dangerous for n00bs, though).

#9 Posted by uninspiredcup (6764 posts) -

Fly fishing around running the sound of moving water is very relaxing and not very demanding. During the summer, even if you catch fuckall (which in my case is 99% of the time) it's still nice to just be outside.

#10 Posted by thegerg (14337 posts) -

yes

#11 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

I would really really like to go fishing, always wanted to as a kid and I still do. Unfortunately its not possible here.

@AmazonTreeBoa Do you have photos of your catches? If yes, post some.

#12 Posted by themajormayor (25620 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

No.

#13 Posted by Boddicker (2272 posts) -

I used to.

But then I quit getting drunk in early '11. God, it's been close to 6 months since I've even had a beer.

Without getting shitty drunk it's just not the same. Maybe I will try it sober when it warms up.

#14 Posted by joehult (350 posts) -

Walleyes and smallmouth late spring to fall, northerns early spring. Weekends rarely cooperate in North Dakota during the winter, so I make maybe 4 trips when the lake freezes.

#15 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16431 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

I would really really like to go fishing, always wanted to as a kid and I still do. Unfortunately its not possible here.

Not any old catches, no. This will be my first time out in a few years. If I catch something worthy of a photo, I will be sure to take it and post it.

Why is it not possible to fish where you live?

#16 Edited by comp_atkins (31109 posts) -

used to go a bit w/ my dad when i was little, it was fun. haven't gone in over 20 years though

#17 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16431 posts) -
@musicalmac said:

I'm a big fan, it's relaxing. I usually cast against a shoreline for pike and bass, love my casting reel (dangerous for n00bs, though).

Yeah Baitcasters are not for noobs. I had one as a kid and it was a pain to learn, but I managed. I actually plan to buy a nice one later this year for next season. First I want to get me a nice catfish setup and an ultra light setup for panfishing.

I also fish from this a lot

Was well worth every penny and a blast to use. Pop a cooler in the back and I am good to go. Can carry it like a backpack to those secret ponds out in the woods. Really fun fighting a good size fish in that thing. http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16349

Here is a photo of it being carried (not me)

I take it to both lakes and ponds, but not to moving water, so no rivers, creeks, streams, etc. I wade fish those waters instead. I only fish from the bank when it is too cold to walk in the water.

#18 Edited by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Not any old catches, no. This will be my first time out in a few years. If I catch something worthy of a photo, I will be sure to take it and post it.

Why is it not possible to fish where you live?

Our waters are controlled by the Israeli army. Its full of destroyers and gunboats scouting and patrolling the coastal water. Fishermen are only allowed to go as deep as 2km from the coast. You're not going to catch anything in 2km and its still risky anyway.

#19 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Used to all the time when I was younger. Haven't done it in years though.

Used to go down to the dam and cast off there. Either that or the park river.

#20 Posted by Cyberdot (3510 posts) -

No, there's no point. It's also very boring.

There's no need to interfere with fish. Just let them roam freely.

#21 Edited by hydralisk86 (8493 posts) -

I went a few times when i was a boy scout, that was a long time ago. I never caught anything, but the scout master and some other guy did catch baby fish. One of the times i went the lake was basically killed of all the fish that were there. I think it might have been because the goldfish that were in there were causing problems.

#22 Posted by plageus900 (909 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

There's no point?

I eat fish, therefore there is a point.

Anyway OP, I love it, though I haven't gone fishing in the last 5 years.

I fished mostly for Salmon, Trout and Steelhead.

#23 Posted by sukraj (21585 posts) -

never been fishing

#24 Edited by CountBleck12 (22494 posts) -

Only a few times, never caught anything. I literally felt like I wasted my time.

#25 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16431 posts) -

Well no fishing today like I planned. The river is still frozen a good 20-30 out from the bank,

#26 Posted by Iszdope (9383 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

No.

I'll be sure to post a video just for you of a fish flopping around on land.

Meanie.

#27 Posted by destinhpark (4700 posts) -

I really don't. And I don't have anything against people who fish, I think it's great they have a hobby and it's something they're good at, that rules. But I've always thought it was boring, just sitting waiting around, but like I said, that's just me. I guess I just don't have the patience for it, haha. I'm ADD with sports (that's why I can't stand baseball when they stick you in the outfield all the time.)

#28 Posted by joehult (350 posts) -

@destinhpark: those people are doing it wrong. There are countless techniques and presentations, and styles of fishing. And everyday will present new challenges, you have cold fronts, wind, water clarity, water temp, fish migration, etc that you have to contend with, and change your technique according. There is way more to fishing than drowning a worm. I think it is sad that a generation are simply giving the middle finger to the outdoors. There is no drive it seems.

#29 Posted by Dogswithguns (10665 posts) -

I feel sorry for those fish...

#30 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16431 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

There's no point?

I eat fish, therefore there is a point.

Anyway OP, I love it, though I haven't gone fishing in the last 5 years.

I fished mostly for Salmon, Trout and Steelhead.

I would love to fish for all three that you listed, but sadly Steelhead and Salmon aren't anywhere around here and the only place to catch trout is at Antrim Lake, which is an old quarry turned into a park that the state stocks with trout. I am mainly a Bass fisherman. Smallmouth bass are very aggressive feeders. But I also fish for Walleye, Crappie, Panfish, and Perch. I am going to get back into catfishing this year.

#31 Edited by Pirate700 (46461 posts) -

I used to fish all the time. Unfortunately though, most of the lakes here in SoCal are full of stocked fish who are well taken care of (as in, not wild) so it's extremely hard to ever catch anything.