Do you like this character design?

Posted by kye-mc (50 posts) 7 months, 10 days ago

Poll: Do you like this character design? (17 votes)

Yes, its great! 6%
Yes, its okay. 35%
No, its not very good 18%
No, its awful 41%

I am trying to get into concept art and don't really know where to start. I drew this and edited it on photoshop slightly however I couldn't make it look realistic. Do you think I should carry on developing concept art or not, I am open to honest criticism and not trolls, Thanks guys.

#1 Posted by Master_Live (15301 posts) -

You mean your avatar?

#2 Edited by kye-mc (50 posts) -

Here it is sorry

#3 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26629 posts) -

#4 Posted by Ballroompirate (23482 posts) -

You have to start somewhere

#5 Edited by alim298 (1820 posts) -

Depends. How long did it take you to draw that? (I mean it's not very detailed and could use some polish) Also reminds me of the game Teslagrad.

#6 Posted by thegerg (15739 posts) -

no

#7 Posted by MrGeezer (56760 posts) -

@alim298 said:

Depends. How long did it take you to draw that? (I mean it's not very detailed and could use some polish) Also reminds me of the game Teslagrad.

How long it took to make it is irrelevant. You can fart out a photo in 2 seconds or spend 6 months building an X-Wing out of toothpicks, and that's irrelevant. Art isn't like kindergarten, you don't get bonus points for effort. Either it works or it doesn't. Also, not being very detailed isn't necessarily a flaw. The characters on South Park aren't very detailed, but they still work.

The big problem here? There's absolutely zero context for this character. I mean, you can draw a dude in jeans and a t-shirt without necessarily establishing context, because that's something that people can relate to. So they're gonna fabricate a workable context in their own minds. But this? This is so weird and out there that it demands an explanation (a VISUAL explanation; show me, don't tell me). What the hell is that thing supposed to be? An Alien? A chud? A cosplayer in a stupid outfit? There is literally no freaking way to look at that drawing and determine who he/she is and what's going on. What's with the head? Is that a mask or is that the face? What's with the shit he's holding? Why is he wearing a diaper? I'm just confused.

And yes, that looks like a quick and messy sketch. Which, again, isn't even necessarily a bad thing. If this creation of yours was part of an interesting universe and "quick and messy sketches" was part of a coherent and consistent aesthetic, then I might still like it. But that's not working. Your character looks weird and sloppy. Weird and sloppy can work, but that depends on how it relates to other stuff. This character is just weird and sloppy without relating to ANYTHING. There's zero indication of how this character is going to be used and no indication of its end purpose. That means that it's not done. So, your job is to go back and finish it, and then come back when you've got a finished product.

#8 Posted by GreySeal9 (24910 posts) -

I like it.

#9 Edited by VaguelyTagged (10300 posts) -

you're talented IMO but you need to work on your anatomical skills since you're going to have to be able to draw characters in different angles/ positions.

#10 Posted by Star0 (443 posts) -

I like the spark effects and the shadow. Really cool.

#11 Edited by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

nope.

i do think of other things and music, though:

half-life 2 meets pink floyd the wall. and, whatever electrical crap most pooceez would include.

#12 Posted by kye-mc (50 posts) -

Thanks for the feedback people, and yes that is a helmet. I can't give you a purpose, it was a quick sketch and took 15 minutes. I am 16 so not very experienced. I will work on my anatomical skills - i looked at it today and thought what the hell is that back arm doing. I think I was replicating a goon guard from ffx-2 while also combining borderlands / enslaved a bit. Thanks a lot!

#13 Posted by foxhound_fox (89879 posts) -

You have the basic concept of body shape down, which is a huge first step.

Get some lessons, get tons of artbooks and join art forums (either for games/movies or just general art). Go through them and try to copy some of the drawings to get a feel for what makes up a concept drawing. Then set out and develop your own style.

There are very few people who, like MrGeezer quipped, can "fart out a photo in 2 seconds". Concentrate on building your skillset first, then start generating your own new ideas (unless they come naturally and you can translate them directly to media (page or computer)).

#14 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16934 posts) -

Looks like a very whacky super hero.

#15 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10107 posts) -

@kye-mc said:

Here it is sorry

are you like ten years old or something?

#16 Posted by MrGeezer (56760 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

You have the basic concept of body shape down, which is a huge first step.

Get some lessons, get tons of artbooks and join art forums (either for games/movies or just general art). Go through them and try to copy some of the drawings to get a feel for what makes up a concept drawing. Then set out and develop your own style.

There are very few people who, like MrGeezer quipped, can "fart out a photo in 2 seconds". Concentrate on building your skillset first, then start generating your own new ideas (unless they come naturally and you can translate them directly to media (page or computer)).

That was an exagerration, but the point remains. It generally takes a lot less time to make a photograph than it does a painting, but spending a month on a painting doesn't get you acclaim for effort. In that amount of time, a photographer could have produced lots of good photos, and the only thing anyone is gonna care about is how good the final product is.

Hell, even proper body proportions isn't a must. The characters on South Park (or a huge number of cartoons, for that matter) are all sorts of fucked up in terms of proper body shape, and absolutely no one cares because it works for the final product.

Hell, even being well-detailed isn't necessarily a virtue. It depends on the end use. If you're making a character to serve as some kind of logo, then you probably want it to be very simple so that people can absorb it in a quick glance and then remember it.

The bottom line is that how a character or a design should look depends largely on what the hell it's supposed to be used for. Sure, I think that the drawing sucks. But depending on the end use, maybe it's okay if it sucks. How would I know when there's zero indication of what that drawing is about or how it is supposed to be used?

#17 Edited by MirkoS77 (8003 posts) -

Like someone else said, you got to start somewhere. Better than I could do....

#18 Posted by Ronstera (6111 posts) -

For a 16 years old that's below average..

#19 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58226 posts) -

It's okay. Don't worry about criticisms. People here are as artistic as salted slugs.

#20 Posted by Treflis (11670 posts) -

Looks like a Big Daddy in Lederhosen and with a very long cattleprod.

As a scrap I think it's decent enough, if it were to be something you'd hand over to a model designer then I it'd need to look more detailed and anatomical. But you got imagination and I can sort of see where you're going with him, I'd advice you to keep practising and check some guides on drawing to further improve.

#21 Posted by themajormayor (25962 posts) -

Doesn't look that bad.