Do you like rapid guitar solo or a slow but contemplative one?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Ravenshout (1210 posts) -

I think I prefer the latter.

Why? My ears don't like receiving a barrage of ugly notes.

That's why I prefer guitarists like David Gilmour over the likes of Malmsteem and what not.

I like slow, emotional, and impressionistic solos, like this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9ohBMozCzI

Beautiful.

#2 Posted by KiIIyou (27146 posts) -
Clean and catchy
#3 Posted by Ravenshout (1210 posts) -

Clean and catchyKiIIyou
Are you justkissmyfrog from You Tube?

#4 Posted by GazaAli (22710 posts) -
I hate guitar.
#5 Posted by KiIIyou (27146 posts) -

[QUOTE="KiIIyou"]Clean and catchyRavenshout

Yes. well no. whodat?
#6 Posted by Ravenshout (1210 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

[QUOTE="KiIIyou"]Clean and catchyKiIIyou

Yes. well no. whodat?

Well, the girl who looks at the sniffing dog in your sig resembles her.

#7 Posted by hiphops_savior (7880 posts) -
A virtuoso guitar solo. A solo that is played within tempo and rhythm. No offense to metalheads, I have respect for metal as a genre, but some of those guitarist tend to play fast for the sake of playing fast, rather than by virtuosity and feel.
#8 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2242 posts) -

A jangly one.

#9 Posted by Postmortem123 (7673 posts) -
#10 Posted by Darthkaiser (12448 posts) -
I like the solo in that song Blackbird from Alterbridge I think that would be classified as slow but meaningful
#11 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -
#12 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150755 posts) -
Eh grew out of that guitar solo stage.
#13 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
Definitely the latter.
#14 Posted by Branmuffin316 (1200 posts) -

I like both but my favorite guitar solo is in Mordecai by Between the Buried and Me and it's relatively slow.

#15 Posted by Shmiity (5112 posts) -

The WORST musical passages, in my opinion are the "Diarrhea of the hands" guitar parts. Too many notes= no thank you. You should ALWAYS have an ear for phrases, questions, answers, singable melodies. Those are the best. In my totally biased opinion.

If you can't sing it... or you can't recall the melody, then whats the point? Im looking at you virtuoso/metalheads/shredders. Yuck.

#16 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5338 posts) -
Depends on my mood I guess, but generally I'm not a huge fan of solos.
#17 Posted by KHAndAnime (13653 posts) -

The WORST musical passages, in my opinion are the "Diarrhea of the hands" guitar parts. Too many notes= no thank you. You should ALWAYS have an ear for phrases, questions, answers, singable melodies. Those are the best. In my totally biased opinion.

If you can't sing it... or you can't recall the melody, then whats the point? Im looking at you virtuoso/metalheads/shredders. Yuck.

Shmiity
Hands down one of the dumbest thing I've read on this forum in the last few months :lol:
#18 Posted by GulliversTravel (3062 posts) -
Yep first thing i thought of was David Gilmour.
#19 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10159 posts) -

the latter of course.terje rypdal ftw.

#20 Posted by themajormayor (25765 posts) -
I hate guitar.GazaAli
#21 Posted by junglist101 (5460 posts) -

Not a fan of guitar solos.

#23 Posted by themajormayor (25765 posts) -

This is the best guitar solo

#24 Posted by Inconsistancy (8091 posts) -

themajormayor
That's lovely :)
#25 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29207 posts) -

Both, my favorite music tends to be death, thrash, and doom metal so you get a combination of faster and slower solos between those. :P

#26 Posted by ultrapc (808 posts) -

I always prefer a slow and melodic solo over fast solos , but i still appreciate the technique in fast solos . In my opinion , anyone can learn to play guitar and shred fast but not anyone can pick up the guitar and create a beautiful solo .

Solos like these :

Sentenced - cross my heart and hope to die (solo starts around 2:52 minute mark)

Sentenced - End of the raod (solo starts around 2:30)

And finally this , one of the most beautiful instrumentals I've heard :

Sentenced - Mourn

#27 Posted by Kolossi (779 posts) -

Depends on the song really. If it's a fast rocker, the solo needs to be a fast one as well, and if it's a slow - mid-tempo, moody and makes you think, then a not too fast solo with good melody and something that fits the overall atmosphere of the song is right on the money.

#28 Posted by DevilMightCry (3494 posts) -
#29 Posted by junglist101 (5460 posts) -

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

Inconsistancy

That's lovely :)

Agreed.

#30 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I prefer thoughtful solos. Fast or slow, or both. It doesn't matter. Musicality is far more important to me than speed.
#31 Posted by superfluidity (2163 posts) -

It all depends on context and they both have a valid place in music if done tastefully. Some of the best solos are dynamic and include both, and a really intense improvised solo can add a lot to a live show.

Obviously, just showing off never improved a piece of music, but a musician shouldn't restrict themselves from using their abilities at all unless it's a business decision and they're specifically targetting the popular music market.

#32 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
it depends on what works for the piece. i like ron jarzombek's work in blotted science because its based around a cold and mechanical aesthetic that's in part built around speed but i also like something more pleasant like this.