Do you like Jet Li or Donnie Yen movies ?

#1 Edited by indzman (18216 posts) -

I simply love Donnie Yen filmography ( Once upon a time in China II ( Fights with Jet Li was legendary ) , IP man 1 and II , SPL Sha Po Lang , Flashpoint )

Jet Li movies ( Once Upon a time in China series , Romeo Must Die , Fearless, Unleashed ).

#2 Posted by slateman_basic (3988 posts) -

Not really. Jet Li is a poor actor. So basically, I'm watching for fights. Which is usually not worth the time.

#3 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24281 posts) -

I prefer Donnie Yen as he definitely has done much to modernize movie martial arts quite a bit and so I usually enjoy his choreography a bit more...though truthfully his "acting", though it seemed to improve a bit in his recent film Wu Xia, is still only marginally better than Li's. But I think you do Jet Li a great disservice by not mentioning some of Jet Li's better films such as Fist of Legend, Hero, Tai Chi Master, and The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk.

#4 Edited by indzman (18216 posts) -

@Lord_Daemon said:

I prefer Donnie Yen as he definitely has done much to modernize movie martial arts quite a bit and so I usually enjoy his choreography a bit more...though truthfully his "acting", though it seemed to improve a bit in his recent film Wu Xia, is still only marginally better than Li's. But I think you do Jet Li a great disservice by not mentioning some of Jet Li's better films such as Fist of Legend, Hero, Tai Chi Master, and The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk.

LOL, i never even saw those movies you mentioned from Jet Li (besides Hero), thanks for the recommendations Lord, will check em out .

BTW are you asian ? I noticed you got a good grasp on asian movies also besides western movies :)

#5 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24281 posts) -

@indzman: Oh gosh no I'm VERY white in that I'm a Scottish/German type o' guy. I'm just old and have been watching films for a long time as well as a fairly big martial arts film fan since the '70s. But yeah...run out and watch Fist of Legend right away as it tends to be in most folk's top 10 lists...or thereabouts.

#6 Posted by indzman (18216 posts) -

@Lord_Daemon said:

@indzman: Oh gosh no I'm VERY white in that I'm a Scottish/German type o' guy. I'm just old and have been watching films for a long time as well as a fairly big martial arts film fan since the '70s. But yeah...run out and watch Fist of Legend right away as it tends to be in most folk's top 10 lists...or thereabouts.

My bad , hope you didn't take offense on my asking =P. I'm myself a big movie fan , so always love recommendations of movies which i've missed. I'm always searching imbd , wiki or google ( here OT ) for best movies. Atm made my mind set on watching VENGEANCE after watching Johnnie To's ELECTION yesterday HeHe.I'll definately see FIST OF LEGEND , missed it too but heard of it :)

#7 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24281 posts) -

@indzman: No silly, I would never take offense at people not knowing about any particular film. I'm still constantly picking up awesome finds from things like random image searches that lead to lists by all sorts of people talking in great detail about directors and genres I know very little about. It's a never ending task...but a fun one.

Have fun with those Johnnie To films as he's a pretty damn consistent director so there's few to avoid. The only films of his you'd probably do best to avoid are his rom-coms as he makes those merely at the studio's behest so he can fund his beloved gangster films. He's very Cassavetes that way. I would recommend 'Fulltime Killer' as one of my favorites of his, but like I said he's pretty safe so almost anything past 'A Hero Never Dies' is pretty safe.

#8 Posted by indzman (18216 posts) -

Thanks only saw EXILED , ELECTION from Johnnie To. Not a fan of asian rom coms much thankfully , prefer only action movies of HK . Lately started watching his movies as i read he's influenced by John Woo's Heroic Bloodshed genre ( John Woo my fav action director of all time ). I'm adding Fulltime Time Killer and a Hero Never Dies in my future must watch list :)