Do you have television cable service?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jd1680a (5956 posts) -

Or do you subscribe to netflix, amazon, or hulu to watch your movies and favorite shows?

#2 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I use my parent's netflix. Don't have cable. I'm cheap as hell :P

#3 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8576 posts) -
I have dish network. We tried just streaming but between that my gaming and downloads we went well over out Internet cap and it cost about the same as having a tv service.
#4 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

I have DirecTV, Netflix and Amazon prime. Netflix I rarely use anymore though.

#5 Posted by The_Lipscomb (2603 posts) -

Just netflix.

#6 Posted by Flubbbs (3508 posts) -

cable

#7 Posted by thegerg (15894 posts) -
no
#8 Posted by ferrari2001 (17261 posts) -
I've got amazon prime, and netflix and ever since I moved back in with my parents who do subscribe to cable service. So at the moment I do have cable.
#9 Posted by lostrib (41948 posts) -

Nope. Netflix, and less reputable sources

#10 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

I have DirecTV and while I am an Amazon Prime user, I do not buy TV shows online. If there is something I want to watch when something else is on, I DVR it and watch it later.

#11 Posted by Kats_RK (2080 posts) -

Nope.

#12 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28274 posts) -
I have cable and use my mom's Netflix. I might cancel cable once Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire end.
#13 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
I have dish network. We tried just streaming but between that my gaming and downloads we went well over out Internet cap and it cost about the same as having a tv service.AutoPilotOn
You shouldnt support that B.S
#14 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
Yes but only because my mother... I live with her and we split the bills. About make her pay for the shit soon...
#15 Posted by lamprey263 (25254 posts) -
yes, I have a telecom bundle, telecoms here won't give you higher speed internet by itself because I guess they figure it'll be used for internet cable alternatives, only way to get faster internet is to get a cable internet bundle
#16 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8576 posts) -
[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]I have dish network. We tried just streaming but between that my gaming and downloads we went well over out Internet cap and it cost about the same as having a tv service.k2theswiss

What choice do I have? Got one cable company and att regular dsl both have 150gb caps I used 350gb one month
#17 Posted by Master_Live (15659 posts) -
I procure them.
#18 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
[QUOTE="k2theswiss"][QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]I have dish network. We tried just streaming but between that my gaming and downloads we went well over out Internet cap and it cost about the same as having a tv service.AutoPilotOn

What choice do I have? Got one cable company and att regular dsl both have 150gb caps I used 350gb one month

Time hit the road jack!
#19 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8576 posts) -
Lol not gonna sell my house based on Internet caps.
#20 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
I only have Netflix and the only thing I miss about cable TV is the news.
#21 Posted by Stesilaus (3508 posts) -

I've just got rid of it.  :|

I was barely using my cable TV service, so when Comcast increased the monthly fee to a staggering $133, I cancelled the service.  My only regret is that I didn't do it much sooner.

#22 Posted by kitty (114978 posts) -
I have cable service, but i just use the internet part of it
#23 Posted by Star67 (3457 posts) -

I use my parents HBO GO, Netflix, and ESPN accounts and I have Rabbit ears that give me 18 Channels. So that's enough for me.

#24 Posted by Jd1680a (5956 posts) -

I havent paid for cable service since I moved out of my parents place. My main source of entertainment is playing video games and get tv shows and movies from other places on the internet. I do go to the movie theater when I want to watch a movie and go to Amazon to buy movies and TV shows I like.

#25 Posted by BMD004 (5883 posts) -

I have Dish Network. My brother and I share a Netflix account. My parents have Amazon Prime and I can log on and order something from their account to get the free shipping... it's like a family account.

I have a sling adapter with my DVR box that allows me to watch any channel or recording on my DVR from my phone or laptop or iPad anywhere. I gave my brother the account and password information so he can use that whenever he wants (as long as I'm not using it at the time). 

#26 Posted by BMD004 (5883 posts) -

I was barely using my cable TV service, so when Comcast increased the monthly fee to a staggering $133, I cancelled the service.  My only regret is that I didn't do it much sooner.

Stesilaus

$133? What do you get for that $133?

My parents recently switched from Comcast to Dish Network, and will pay about $130 when the full price kicks in next year. That is about the same amount they were paying for cable, but they get way more for their money.

The whole house (6 tv's) get HD DVR boxes, the second biggest TV package (the only things it doesn't include is HBO, Starz, Shotime, and Cinemax), HBO they pay for separately, and Dish's multi-sport pack which is a sports package with a TON of sports channels. They also have a sling adapter so they can watch everything from anywhere on their phone or computer.

With Comcast, they were paying the same price as Dish, but only had 1 HD DVR, 1 HD box, and the rest of the house just had basic cable plugged into the wall. They did have HBO, but they did not have a sports package. No sling adapter. And the boxes were not nearly as good as the Hopper.

My parents just didn't know about satellite before. They never considered it as an option for some reason. If more people knew about how much better satellite is, there would be no reason for anybody to even have cable unless they lower their prices by a lot.

#27 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

My parents recently switched from Comcast to Dish Network, and will pay about $130 when the full price kicks in next year. 

BMD004

I will never understand why cable companies charge returning customers more than new ones. Makes absolutely no sense.

#28 Posted by PiscesChick93 (10713 posts) -

We have Sky+.

#29 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
Lol not gonna sell my house based on Internet caps. AutoPilotOn
i would. Then again i guess that's the benefits of not living in the woods. You got competition, with competition companies are forced to improve their ways or meet doom
#30 Posted by Trail_Mix (2579 posts) -

Yep, my family has Charter cable.

#31 Posted by xdude85 (4546 posts) -
I've never had cable period, but I don't watch television anyways so no real loss for me.
#32 Posted by Stesilaus (3508 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stesilaus"]

BMD004

$133? What do you get for that $133?

My parents recently switched from Comcast to Dish Network, and will pay about $130 when the full price kicks in next year. That is about the same amount they were paying for cable, but they get way more for their money.

The whole house (6 tv's) get HD DVR boxes, the second biggest TV package (the only things it doesn't include is HBO, Starz, Shotime, and Cinemax), HBO they pay for separately, and Dish's multi-sport pack which is a sports package with a TON of sports channels. They also have a sling adapter so they can watch everything from anywhere on their phone or computer.

With Comcast, they were paying the same price as Dish, but only had 1 HD DVR, 1 HD box, and the rest of the house just had basic cable plugged into the wall. They did have HBO, but they did not have a sports package. No sling adapter. And the boxes were not nearly as good as the Hopper.

My parents just didn't know about satellite before. They never considered it as an option for some reason. If more people knew about how much better satellite is, there would be no reason for anybody to even have cable unless they lower their prices by a lot.

The deal included all (or almost all) of the channels that didn't stream "on demand", incl. channels like "The History Channel", "National Geographic", "Science", "Discovery", "The Military Channel" etc. and a handful of "non premium, on demand" channels like FearNET.

There were several sports channels, but I'm not sure whether the deal covered all the available ones.  (It probably didn't.)

There were several "premium channels" that offered menus of "on demand" movies and TV shows, but Comcast kept chipping-and-changing which premium channels gave full access, which required a separate subscription and which worked on a "pay per show" basis.

At the time that I cancelled, I think the $133 gave full access to HBO, Cinemax and "The Movie Channel", but I do remember being able to access Starz at one stage.

#33 Posted by Dogswithguns (10906 posts) -

I cut cable years ago and never looked back... Netflixing alot lately.

-- Oh, and I watch Youtube too besides Netflix.

#34 Posted by superfluidity (2163 posts) -

I haven't had cable since 2006. I had Netflix but watched everything interesting to me over the course of a couple years and finally cancelled it this month. The only things my TV gets used for anymore are games and streaming services such as youtube and justin.tv.

#35 Posted by TAMKFan (32866 posts) -

I have Cable, Netflix and Hulu Plus. However, I don't watch them very often. My sister who lives with me watches them more than I do.

#36 Posted by rgsniper1 (9350 posts) -

Cable, although I grumble every month about the price I pay for my cable and internet bundle. I'd love to just stream tv but I can't stand buffering. I have a good internet connection but still get that enough that I just can't see myself ever switching.

#37 Posted by killzowned24 (7345 posts) -
I use my QAM tuner and JTV. Don't have time to care for anything else and certainly is not worth paying.
#38 Posted by iskeethunters (925 posts) -
Well you can't have Internet without both cable and phone so I have it. Never watch it though.
#39 Posted by quadraleap (36519 posts) -
Comcast, until they stop giving me deals then I will resort to Internet only type stuff.
#42 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
I still live with my parents, so yeah, I have cable. They can't figure out the internet or streaming so cable it is. I watch most of my TV through the internet via an hdmi cable to my tv. I could get rid of cable and really not miss it.
#43 Posted by junglist101 (5462 posts) -

I have cable and netflix.  I'm not one of those 'I don't watch TV' elitists.  I love tv.

#44 Posted by sukraj (23818 posts) -

I have Sky TV