Do you have a coffee/caffeine addiction?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by _BlueDuck_ (11986 posts) -

This is something I just kind of realised. I drink coffee fairly regularly, a cup or two on most days. Never really thought of it as an addiction because when we say addiction we usually think of a degree of harm done, that addictions are something you're supposed to "kick". Coffee (or caffeine) generally doesn't cause much in terms of health or social problems, so that's never been a concern, and coffee is plentiful and abundant, so it's almost always available. So I never really reflected much at all on my coffee consumption and what it means.

But then this morning I was going for my daily cup and I realised I was out of coffee. I had a small moment of panic and then anger, my day is no longer going as planned and that's going to irritate me.

Luckily I can just go buy some more later, so not a big deal. But I would say, yes, this is an addiction.

Anyone have similar feelings?

#2 Posted by British_Azimio (2452 posts) -
I've been drinking a hell of a lot more coffee lately...up to a dozen cups a day. I believe it's partly to 'replace' other, more elusive uppers. I really just hate being tired and not up to peak performance.
#3 Posted by JML897 (33120 posts) -
Caffeine yes, coffee no. I need about three cans of pop every day or I get a headache.
#4 Posted by British_Azimio (2452 posts) -
Caffeine yes, coffee no. I need about three cans of pop every day or I get a headache. JML897
I used to drink loads of pop/soda/whatever. It's probably the main reason for me ballooning up to 240 pounds by mid 08. (100lbs lighter now). I usually drink my coffee black, nothing else. Too much sugar rapes my teeth.
#5 Posted by SteverXIII (3827 posts) -

I drink one cup of coffee every week, if even. I rarely drink fizzy drinks.

I do drink tea once or twice a week, but only rooibos tea

#6 Posted by hummer700 (10160 posts) -

Yes i do. I don't see it as a bad thing though it can be good for your heart, liver, and can even divert diabetes. I never drink soda, its gross.

#7 Posted by _BlueDuck_ (11986 posts) -

[QUOTE="JML897"]Caffeine yes, coffee no. I need about three cans of pop every day or I get a headache. British_Azimio
I used to drink loads of pop/soda/whatever. It's probably the main reason for me ballooning up to 240 pounds by mid 08. (100lbs lighter now). I usually drink my coffee black, nothing else. Too much sugar rapes my teeth.

That's one thing I'm thankful for, I only drink coffee and tea black. I just prefer the taste, but it works out as a pretty solid harm-reduction strategy, seeing as how coffee alone is a decently healthy drink, assuming your heart isn't in overdrive all day.

#8 Posted by DeadMan1290 (15502 posts) -
Caffeine yes, coffee no. I need about three cans of pop every day or I get a headache. JML897
Same...
#9 Posted by SteverXIII (3827 posts) -
I tell you guys, I couldn't imagine drinking even one can of pop a day. I would feel so bloated and I'd be coughing up so much phlegm.
#10 Posted by chilly-chill (8902 posts) -
Sodas disgusting.
#11 Posted by megagene (22994 posts) -
I most certainly do.
#12 Posted by DeadMan1290 (15502 posts) -
I tell you guys, I couldn't imagine drinking even one can of pop a day. I would feel so bloated and I'd be coughing up so much phlegm. SteverXIII
The phlegm is when I drink Crush or anything that's orange soda. Don't know why...
#13 Posted by Brav3yod4 (38 posts) -
I used to be addicted to coffee but it is under control now.
#14 Posted by mindstorm (15242 posts) -
I am at this very moment sitting in the coffee shop that I am a barista at just finishing up an Iced Americano before I start work. In other words, yes.
#15 Posted by megagene (22994 posts) -
[QUOTE="mindstorm"]I am at this very moment sitting in the coffee shop that I am a barista at just finishing up an Iced Americano before I start work. In other words, yes.

Those are delicious.
#16 Posted by Celldrax (14565 posts) -

Although I tend to have around three cups of coffee a day, I wouldn't say I'm addicted to it. I usually just have it when I wake up or if I'm feeling tired... Like right now at 3:30am.

brb...

#17 Posted by Necrifer (10629 posts) -

No.

#18 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
I've been drinking a hell of a lot more coffee lately...up to a dozen cups a day. I believe it's partly to 'replace' other, more elusive uppers. I really just hate being tired and not up to peak performance.British_Azimio
i gotta say im in the same boat as you. just not drinking nearly as much coffee as you yet
#19 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3399 posts) -

I think it's more of a habitual "addiction" than a real one ;)

From personal experience at least, I'd say you'd have to be areally dedicatedcoffee drinker, to build up a caffeine dependance.

#20 Posted by DeadMan1290 (15502 posts) -

Do people really feel that "boost" when the drink coffee?

#21 Posted by almasdeathchild (9517 posts) -

i drink like 10 16oz coffees daily

#22 Posted by IcyToasters (12476 posts) -

sometimes when I have a cup of coffee and a cup or two of tea for a few days in a row, I get a headache when I stop. not sure if it's actually related.

don't think I do thoughh.
I usually stop drinking coffee for a few days after drinking it for a few days, and cut down on tea or drink decaffeinated tea along with it.

drink tea most days though, but only one or two depending on what I dooo, an' it doesn't need to be caffeinated.

#23 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3399 posts) -

DeadMan1290

Absolutely. Just don't expect it to compensate for sleep, you're not going to be at peak performance.

Edit: I would'nt be surprised of many of the "withdrawel symptoms" people experience, are actually your body reacting to over exertion.

All from a personal pov of course. I've spent lengthy periods of drinking at least a liter of coffee each day, and I don't feel the slightest craving after becoming well rested.

#24 Posted by almasdeathchild (9517 posts) -

DeadMan1290

i don't but coffee just tastes so damn good

#25 Posted by _BlueDuck_ (11986 posts) -

DeadMan1290

Interestingly, the "boost" that most people feel from a drink of coffee is actually the feeling of being relieved of their prior caffeine withdrawl.

#26 Posted by IcyToasters (12476 posts) -

DeadMan1290

much easier to do last half of work shifts, an' keeps me from being sad, I think.

#27 Posted by Swanogt19 (24159 posts) -
No. Not at all.
#28 Posted by DeadMan1290 (15502 posts) -

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

IcyToasters

much easier to do last half of work shifts, an' keeps me from being sad, I think.

Don't use coffee to relieve sadness.... No good. >.>
#29 Posted by DeadMan1290 (15502 posts) -

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

Interestingly, the "boost" that most people feel from a drink of coffee is actually the feeling of being relieved of their prior caffeine withdrawl.

_BlueDuck_

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

almasdeathchild

i don't but coffee just tastes so damn good

I think it's all in the mind....
#30 Posted by raven_squad (78438 posts) -
Yes, yes I do. Can't start the day without a couple cups of coffee.
#31 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23532 posts) -

i do. i even keep caffeine pills in my glovebox just in case i am ever separated from a source overnight or something so i don't go into withdrawal and get a headache.

#32 Posted by sonicare (53451 posts) -

I started drinking coffee regulary after several studies showed it has numerous benefits.

#33 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3399 posts) -

The headaches might just be dehydration by the way.

You don't tend to supplement coffee with plenty of water and it is diuretic, afterall.

#34 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

I used to be an addict of caffeine cause I drank a lot of Mountain Dew but I don't drink as much now. Coffee though, ehhh nope...I hate coffee. That stuff is disgusting.

#35 Posted by KiIIyou (27145 posts) -

Nopies, not even a sugar one.

#36 Posted by konvikt_17 (22170 posts) -

all i drink is soda and milk.

usually one glass of milk a day. and at the least 3 cans of soda a day.

#37 Posted by IcyToasters (12476 posts) -

[QUOTE="IcyToasters"]

DeadMan1290

Don't use coffee to relieve sadness.... No good. >.>

):

#38 Posted by Blood-Scribe (6465 posts) -
I haven't had a cup of coffee in a few years, and I stopped drinking soda recently (and even before that I stopped drinking caffeinated sodas). My dad has a really bad caffeine addiction and can't function without at least a couple of cups of coffee every morning, so that kinda dissuaded me from going down that road. I like the taste of coffee, though.
#39 Posted by KiIIyou (27145 posts) -

konvikt_17
Dats a whole lot! ;p
#40 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
Don't drink coffee unless I'm smoking which is once every 2 weeks or so. I do take caffeine pills when I'm working out, but only around 200 milligrams and that's usually once or twice a week. No addiction here.
#41 Posted by dodgerblue13 (20836 posts) -
Yes, and I love it. I'll take those health benefits all day long, brother.
#42 Posted by ninjastar (9507 posts) -

Basically this, although I really like coffee as well.

#43 Posted by konvikt_17 (22170 posts) -

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

KiIIyou

Dats a whole lot! ;p

haha indeed.

soda is just so damn good though:P

#44 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I drink about 500 ml of strongly brewed coffee (twice recommended amount of coffee for the water) 2-4 times a week. I don't think that even counts as a "dependence".
#45 Posted by chilly-chill (8902 posts) -

konvikt_17
That's groce.
#46 Posted by VGobbsesser (15614 posts) -

Nope, or at least, not anymore. I never drink coffee, and I gave up soda several months ago.

#47 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -

Yep. *sips coffee* About a month ago I started using a french press, and grinding my own beans. It's made me appreciate coffee so much more...

#48 Posted by MrPraline (21320 posts) -
Well, yeah. Have to fit the stereotype of officef** somehow.
#49 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2242 posts) -

No. Caffeine and I do not mix well.

#50 Posted by Jamiemydearx3 (4062 posts) -

Coffee does in fact cause health problems.