Do you feel guilty for being born white?

• 161 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By gamerguru100

Poll Do you feel guilty for being born white? (97 votes)

Yes, I feel guilty for being born something I had absolutely no control over. *jumps off bridge* 11%
No, I am a logical person. 127%
I'm not white. 31%

Since this forum is dead, I hope this somewhat controversial topic will lead to somewhat civilized discussion.

To answer my own question:

I sure as hell don't feel guilty for being white. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Why should I, a person who was born in the late 20th century, feel guilty over the actions of some people who lived in the 19th century or early to mid-20th century just because we belong to the same race?

Should Turkish people feel guilty for the Armenian Genocide carried out by Turks in the early 20th century? Should Japanese feel guilty over the actions of the Imperial Japanese Army in the 1940s? I say no.

Every racial and ethnic group has blood on its hands, so there is no use feeling guilty about it. Humans can be really ugly sometimes, but people shouldn't be blaming themselves based on the actions of some people in their same ethnic group.

• 
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#51 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Why should i? It's not something i could control now could i?

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Not at all. Pretty darn ridiculous premise really. No one should feel guilty for something they had no control over.

dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts

no. Despite the efforts by some to make me feel that way, i do not.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#54  Edited By TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

I'm white and I'm pretty happy to be white.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

No one should feel guilty because of its skin colour just because some people did some fucked up things in hhe past.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

Despite certain groups attempting to make whites feel guilty, i do not see a reason to.
Most of the people victimized are long gone anyways. The ones who're still alive, were never victimized by me.

dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By dominer
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

I'm not white, but there should be no racial guilt whatsoever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d4e6334bc1ce
deactivated-5d4e6334bc1ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58  Edited By deactivated-5d4e6334bc1ce
Member since 2010 • 484 Posts

As Louis C.K. said: "If you're white and you don't want to admit that it's great--you're an @sshole"!

More Louis C.K.:

"I’m healthy, I’m relatively young, I’m white, thank god for that shit, boy. That is a huge leg up, are you kidding me! Oh god I love being white I really do. Seriously if your not white your missing out because this shit is thoroughly good. But let me be clear by the way, I’m not saying that white people are better. I’m saying that being white is clearly better. Who could even argue? If it was an option I would re-up every year, oh ya, I’ll take white again, absolutely. I’ve been enjoying that, I’ll stick with the white, thank you.

Here’s how great it is to be white. I could get in a time machine and go to any time and it would be f&ckin awesome when I get there. That is exclusively a white privilege. Black people can’t **** with time machines. A black guy and a time machine is like: “Hey, nothing before 1980, no thank you, I don’t wanna go.” But I can go to anytime. The year 2, I don’t even know what was happening then, but I know when I get there: “Welcome, we have a table right here for you, sir”. Oh, thank you. Oh, it’s lovely here in the year 2. I can go to any time. In the past. I don’t wanna go in the future and find out what happens to white people because we’re gonna pay hard for this shit, you gotta know that. We’re not gonna just fall from number 1 to two. They are gonna hold us down and f&ck us in the @ss forever. And we totally deserve it. But for now – WEEEE! Now if you – if your white and you don’t admit that it’s great, you’re an @sshole. It is great. And I’m a man. How many advantages could one person have. I’m a white man. You – you can’t even hurt my feelings. What can you really call a white man that really digs deep: “Hey Cracker”! “Oh ruined my day.” Boy, shouldn't have called me a cracker, bringing me back to owning land and people, what a drag".

Kats_RK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Kats_RK
Member since 2010 • 2080 Posts

No.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I am proud to be white, so why the hell would I feel guilty?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#61 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@TAMKFan said:

I'm white and I'm pretty happy to be white.

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62 s_h_a_d_o
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts

No.

But there are those that seek to make me feel guilty for the fact.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

Au contraire, I feel some sense of pride. Those who have White guilt are unworthy of their European ancestors, a truly illustrious people

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

@EagleEyedOne said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@playmynutz said:

Anglo-Saxon please, you trippin'

Feel sorta guilty I may be the product of a Spaniard rape of a Native American Mayan.

The Spaniards engaged in miscegenation with the Native American women and had kids together, resulting in the mestizo population in Latin America today. It wasn't mass rape. I just think that if people agree that Turks and the Japanese shouldn't feel guilty, then neither should the Germans over the Holocaust or Euro-Americans over slavery. The best we can do is learn to not repeat history. Too bad it does anyway.

You mentioned Germans and the Holocaust... Jews are white.

Eh, that's debatable. I know many Jews who would reject being labelled as White.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

IDK where OP found this idea that people feel guilty about being white. What a shithead.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

No. That is beyond ridiculous....

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#67 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts

@Tezcatlipoca666:

@Tezcatlipoca666 said:

@EagleEyedOne said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@playmynutz said:

Feel sorta guilty I may be the product of a Spaniard rape of a Native American Mayan.

The Spaniards engaged in miscegenation with the Native American women and had kids together, resulting in the mestizo population in Latin America today. It wasn't mass rape. I just think that if people agree that Turks and the Japanese shouldn't feel guilty, then neither should the Germans over the Holocaust or Euro-Americans over slavery. The best we can do is learn to not repeat history. Too bad it does anyway.

Eh, that's debatable. I know many Jews who would reject being labelled as White.

Of course we would. Judaism is a religion. You can't convert into a race.

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

Not guilty.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Public schools started brainwashing white kids into feeling guilty about being white, about 25 years ago.

The same goes for pop culture (music, TV shows, and recently - video games).

People who don't know how to think for themselves, buy into this propaganda. Clear thinking people do not.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

of course not~

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Born_Lucky said:

Public schools started brainwashing white kids into feeling guilty about being white, about 25 years ago.

People who don't know how to think for themselves, buy into this propaganda. Clear thinking people do not.

Can you give some specific examples?

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 gamerguru100

@EagleEyedOne said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@playmynutz said:

I'm sure some would argue against that. Most people say Jews are just a religious group, rather than ethnoreligious group. While anyone can convert to Judaism, I'd still think of Jews as an ethnoreligious group. Perhaps they're a European-Middle Eastern hybrid ethnicity, but I don't know whether most people would consider them white or if Jews themselves would consider themselves white. You would need to conduct a poll to find that out.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

LOL at this thread.. only pathetic white liberals hate themselves.. im proud to be white

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 gamerguru100

@Flubbbs said:

LOL at this thread.. only pathetic white liberals hate themselves.. im proud to be white

I think it's quite pointless to be proud of being born something that you had no control over almost as much as being guilty. At least you have positive feelings though.

dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 dominer
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts
@Born_Lucky said:

Where do you live?

You can't be living in the U.S.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#76 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#77 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts

Yeah, I kinda do feel a little guilty for being white based off of white privilege. Seeing how much other minority groups struggle economically and socially is a bit depressing. Also It's pretty discouraging too how state officials handle education across the states with public schools who have majority of minority students

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#79 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

I got white guilt when I spilled mustard on my arm and thought about Hiroshima.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 CleanPlayer
@thegerg said:

@CleanPlayer said:

Yeah, I kinda do feel a little guilty for being white based off of white privilege. Seeing how much other minority groups struggle economically and socially is a bit depressing. Also It's pretty discouraging too how state officials handle education across the states with public schools who have majority of minority students

How are you "based off of white privilege"? That sentence doesn't even make sense.

White privilege is the set of advantages white people have over colored people or the benefits they share over different ethnic groups. I think a lot of people unconsciously don't understand the daily effects or assumptions it has in their lives, especially in America. From my perspective, America's culture has a degree of favoritism which could be traced back to American History to how schools/housing are segregated in today's time, so I do think my sentence does make sense -_- but everyone is entitled to their own opinion

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By gamerguru100

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

I got white guilt when I spilled mustard on my arm and thought about Hiroshima.

lolwut

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 gamerguru100

@CleanPlayer said:
@thegerg said:

@CleanPlayer said:

How are you "based off of white privilege"? That sentence doesn't even make sense.

White privilege is the set of advantages white people have over colored people or the benefits they share over different ethnic groups. I think a lot of people unconsciously don't understand the daily effects or assumptions it has in their lives, especially in America. From my perspective, America's culture has a degree of favoritism which could be traced back to American History to how schools/housing are segregated in today's time, so I do think my sentence does make sense -_- but everyone is entitled to their own opinion

People still say colored? And technically we're all colored in the sense that almost all of us are just different shades of brown.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#83 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Somehow, I feel guilty no matter what.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@CleanPlayer said:
@thegerg said:

@CleanPlayer said:

You're not American, are you? If so, crawl out from under that rock from time to time. In America, it is the minorities that get the privileges.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

It shouldn't be about feeling guilt, it should be about feeling a sense of responsibility. It should be about realizing the reality of white privilege throughout history and in some respects today and about resolving to create a more equitable society for the future.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

guilty? no. lucky? hell yeah.

Avatar image for cynical_buzzard
Cynical_Buzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#88 Cynical_Buzzard
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

Why would I feel guilty for being white?

People who obsess over skin color are weak minded.

iDefinition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 iDefinition
Member since 2009 • 388 Posts

Nice try but america isn't the only place in the world.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts
@CleanPlayer said:

when does my 'white privilege' kick in? Anything I've ever gotten my family has worked hard to give or I earned it.. or how about the white privilege of hundreds of thousands of white males that died during ww1,ww2, korea, vietnam, iraq, afghan and every other conflict

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

christ, this forum sucks now

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

It's my guilty pleasure.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@coolbeans90:

@coolbeans90 said:

This is a dumb thread. Nobody is actually stupid enough to feel guilty merely for being white (as in, like, five people globally).

I have met some people that genuinely seem sorry for being white.

Granted they were all on here.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 CleanPlayer

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@CleanPlayer said:
@thegerg said:

@CleanPlayer said:

You're not American, are you? If so, crawl out from under that rock from time to time. In America, it is the minorities that get the privileges.

Crawl out from under that rock? Are you that culturally ignorant or blind to not understand the systemic racism that is America? Try imagining growing up as a minority, and realizing all of the social disadvantages. How do you think whites got so rich in the first place? Look at all our politicians, business leaders, and industrialists.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@CleanPlayer said:

Crawl out from under that rock? Are you that culturally ignorant or blind to not understand the systemic racism that is America? Try imagining growing up as a minority, and realizing all of the social disadvantages. How do you think whites got so rich in the first place? Look at all our politicians, business leaders, and industrialists.

Ugh. Not all white people are rich. Argument fail.....

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 CleanPlayer

@Flubbbs said:
@CleanPlayer said:

when does my 'white privilege' kick in? Anything I've ever gotten my family has worked hard to give or I earned it.. or how about the white privilege of hundreds of thousands of white males that died during ww1,ww2, korea, vietnam, iraq, afghan and every other conflict

Lol, do you not recognize or believe growing up white is easier than growing up anything else? Do people not get it that whites are notorious for massacring the Indians, slavery, stealing from countries and enslaving them, and how our own Congress oppresses minorities? I guess my self-awareness regarding white privilege is too much for people. I think it's important for people to recognize it and have more empathy and being way less tolerant to racism when they see it. Regarding those wars, I bet you'd see a lot less of black military officers than white military officers

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By CleanPlayer

@LJS9502_basic said:

@CleanPlayer said:

Ugh. Not all white people are rich. Argument fail.....

White-median households are far more richer than any other household and it's not even close....so I don't necessarily think that's an argument fail