Do you feel guilty for being born white?

• 161 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 11 months, 8 days ago

Poll: Do you feel guilty for being born white? (96 votes)

Yes, I feel guilty for being born something I had absolutely no control over. *jumps off bridge* 11%
No, I am a logical person. 127%
I'm not white. 31%

Since this forum is dead, I hope this somewhat controversial topic will lead to somewhat civilized discussion.

To answer my own question:

I sure as hell don't feel guilty for being white. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Why should I, a person who was born in the late 20th century, feel guilty over the actions of some people who lived in the 19th century or early to mid-20th century just because we belong to the same race?

Should Turkish people feel guilty for the Armenian Genocide carried out by Turks in the early 20th century? Should Japanese feel guilty over the actions of the Imperial Japanese Army in the 1940s? I say no.

Every racial and ethnic group has blood on its hands, so there is no use feeling guilty about it. Humans can be really ugly sometimes, but people shouldn't be blaming themselves based on the actions of some people in their same ethnic group.

#1 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

Anglo-Saxon please, you trippin'

Feel sorta guilty I may be the product of a Spaniard rape of a Native American Mayan.

#2 Posted by EagleEyedOne (1354 posts) -

Fuck no.

#3 Edited by gamerguru100 (10502 posts) -

Feel sorta guilty I may be the product of a Spaniard rape of a Native American Mayan.

The Spaniards engaged in miscegenation with the Native American women and had kids together, resulting in the mestizo population in Latin America today. It wasn't mass rape. I just think that if people agree that Turks and the Japanese shouldn't feel guilty, then neither should the Germans over the Holocaust or Euro-Americans over slavery. The best we can do is learn to not repeat history. Too bad it does anyway.

#4 Posted by EagleEyedOne (1354 posts) -

@playmynutz said:

The Spaniards engaged in miscegenation with the Native American women and had kids together, resulting in the mestizo population in Latin America today. It wasn't mass rape. I just think that if people agree that Turks and the Japanese shouldn't feel guilty, then neither should the Germans over the Holocaust or Euro-Americans over slavery. The best we can do is learn to not repeat history. Too bad it does anyway.

You mentioned Germans and the Holocaust... Jews are white.

#5 Edited by jcknapier711 (380 posts) -

Anyone who actually feels guilty would not admit it. Therefor, your poll is flawed.

I'd suggest that for you it's a form of projection or insecurity surrounding the race issue. That you really feel guilty and that this is a way you can deny your true feelings. No offense or anything.

After all, what is it that you mean by "white guilt"? It's not culpability for slavery, but your own racist feelings. That's what the guilt is.

#6 Posted by CyberLips (1815 posts) -

First of all what do you mean white? Not black?

#7 Posted by jcknapier711 (380 posts) -

@EagleEyedOne:

@gamerguru100 said:

@playmynutz said:

Jews are Middle Eastern semites. "White" is a misnomer of sorts and overly accents the color of the skin. "White" really refers to someone of European decent. Europeans are a varied and diverse peoples. You have brownish Mediterraneans to very pale Nordics to red haired Celts. Take your average Greek and they wouldn't really look like the first thing that came to mind when you think "White."

Personally, I don't like the term "black" or "white" as it reduces our cultures to skin color, when we're more than that.

#9 Edited by EagleEyedOne (1354 posts) -

@jcknapier711 said:

@EagleEyedOne:

@EagleEyedOne said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@playmynutz said:

Jews are Middle Eastern semites. "White" is a misnomer of sorts and overly accents the color of the skin. "White" really refers to someone of European decent. Europeans are a varied and diverse peoples. You have brownish Mediterraneans to very pale Nordics to red haired Celts. Take your average Greek and they wouldn't really look like the first thing that came to mind when you think "White."

Personally, I don't like the term "black" or "white" as it reduces our cultures to skin color, when we're more than that.

I'd agree with that I guess. I am a Nordic Jew you could say as I have blonde hair green eyes yet I have a Jewish background. Everyone on my Jewish side is white, thought. I am also black.

#10 Posted by dave123321 (33783 posts) -

I'm with beans and I ain't even white

#11 Posted by The-Apostle (12170 posts) -

This is a dumb thread. Nobody is actually stupid enough to feel guilty merely for being white (as in, like, five people globally).

This is true. However, I once had a history of racism tell my class it's racist for a white person to not feel guilty for being born white. I nearly laughed in her face.

She was black btw...

#13 Edited by johnd13 (7987 posts) -

This is a dumb thread. Nobody is actually stupid enough to feel guilty merely for being white (as in, like, five people globally).

Yeah this...

#15 Edited by Stranger_36 (473 posts) -

No.

#16 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13998 posts) -

I feel blessed.

#17 Posted by xdude85 (4341 posts) -

No... should I feel guilty?

#18 Posted by EagleEyedOne (1354 posts) -

@xdude85 said:

No... should I feel guilty?

Al Sharpton would hope you feel guilty.

#19 Edited by The__Kraken (851 posts) -

I totally feel guilty for something I had no control over.

#20 Posted by Crushmaster (4320 posts) -

Yes I do, I cry about it everyday.

#21 Edited by gamerguru100 (10502 posts) -

Anyone who actually feels guilty would not admit it. Therefor, your poll is flawed.

I'd suggest that for you it's a form of projection or insecurity surrounding the race issue. That you really feel guilty and that this is a way you can deny your true feelings. No offense or anything.

After all, what is it that you mean by "white guilt"? It's not culpability for slavery, but your own racist feelings. That's what the guilt is.

LOL

#22 Posted by toast_burner (21437 posts) -

Me being white doesn't harm anyone. So why should I?

#23 Posted by lonewolf604 (8517 posts) -

I wish I was BORN white because of the white privilege. I was born in Vancouver BC, but my parents still carried their traditions. My parents wanted me to think about becoming a nurse, or maybe a nanny. It is so ingrained in our culture, but I didn't want that to be my destiny....with all due respect to fellow filipinos, i just hate seeing the majority of filipino women babysitting rich white people's kids, or being the majority of the work force in nursing homes....

Now I'm in my 20's, I feel like I let my parents down for taking it easy in post secondary trying to find my path.

#24 Posted by EagleEyedOne (1354 posts) -

I wish I was BORN white because of the white privilege. I was born in Vancouver BC, but my parents still carried their traditions. My parents wanted me to think about becoming a nurse, or maybe a nanny. It is so ingrained in our culture, but I didn't want that to be my destiny....with all due respect to fellow filipinos, i just hate seeing the majority of filipino women babysitting rich white people's kids, or being the majority of the work force in nursing homes....

Now I'm in my 20's, I feel like I let my parents down for taking it easy in post secondary trying to find my path.

There is no such thing as white privilege. Please explain how nonwhite people have less privilege than whites do.

#25 Edited by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

I like how unbias your poll is. There's no hidden agenda there or anything!

#26 Edited by toast_burner (21437 posts) -

I like how unbias your poll is. There's no hidden agenda there or anything!

Why would have to be an idiot to feel guilty about being white.

#27 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Im black and this is stupid ! Remember the good old days when we use to talk about boobs ? ........ Yeah me neither.

#28 Posted by gamerguru100 (10502 posts) -

So far, no one has jumped off a bridge. This is good news. :P

#29 Edited by evildead6789 (7502 posts) -

I rather been black for obvious reasons

°I°

#30 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

No....

However I dont feel right letting modern turks off until the country actully admits the armenian genocide happened. Genocide denial is pretty bad, and implicates a moral stance of not disagreeing, so maybe they SHOULD feel guilty.

#31 Posted by Treflis (11479 posts) -

No.

If the matter is about slavery and the main focus being on the US and how they transported africans to work for them, then even more no.

I'm Norwegian, If anything My anchestors, the vikings, enslaved what would be todays Brits, French, Russians and neighboring Danes/Swedes.

#32 Posted by Advid-Gamer (4632 posts) -

Forum being dead or not, you should be ashamed for even asking that retarded question. Why the hell would anyone feel guilty for being born any color? Society is beyond fck up now.

#33 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28038 posts) -

#34 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26041 posts) -

LMAO, Sammy already posted the Louis CK video. But yeah ^^

#35 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

No. You should feel guilty for making a terrible thread.

#36 Posted by Ser_Charles (51 posts) -

As a Chinese, I have to say that we were wrecked by many different races for many times, and most of them no longer bother us anymore, for example, the invasion by British and French allied army, who burned one of our greatest palace--Winter Palace, AKA Yuanming Yuan.

But what happened not that long ago, in WWII the Japanese army decimated Nanjing, I can feel that this event is still affecting the relationship between China and Japan. And as a citizen of Nanjing, I cannot bear anyone denying its existence or severity, which is happening in certain parts of Japan. I don't require them to feel "guilty"; All I want is they stop branding that atrocity as being honorable.

#37 Posted by ZEYAAM898 (1921 posts) -

I may not be Caucasian but hell only someone desperately insecure would feel guilty over something he/she had no control over .

#38 Posted by th3warr1or (20640 posts) -
@Treflis said:

No.

If the matter is about slavery and the main focus being on the US and how they transported africans to work for them, then even more no.

I'm Norwegian, If anything My anchestors, the vikings, enslaved what would be todays Brits, French, Russians and neighboring Danes/Swedes.

Don't feel bad. You're mostly Swede/Danish. Norway wasn't really inhabited in the earliest bits of the Viking age.

#39 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

No. But people should feel guilty as Hell for using the race card, something blacks and some whites love to do.

#40 Posted by thegerg (14858 posts) -

No, being white is awesome!

#41 Posted by Silverbond (16049 posts) -

Glad to see OT hasn't changed.

Fucking lol.

#42 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Hell no.

#43 Edited by mav_destroyer (3060 posts) -

I feel guilty for being human. We often insult each other by calling each other various kinds of animals, but I can't help but constantly feel that animals are way above us (or we have sunk way below their level). So yeah, might be a weird answer but I never really cared what my ethnicity is as much as I did what my species.

#44 Edited by Brain_Duster (390 posts) -

You know...I kinda do!

#45 Edited by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -

I sure as hell don't feel guilty for being white. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Why should I, a person who was born in the late 20th century, feel guilty over the actions of some people who lived in the 19th century or early to mid-20th century.

I feel the same away when people try to claim "greatness" by their country or people despite having no input in it themselves.

#46 Edited by Serraph105 (27822 posts) -

hell to the no

#47 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

No.

@lonewolf604 said:

There is no such thing as white privilege. Please explain how nonwhite people have less privilege than whites do.

Only a (very ignorant) white person would say that.

#48 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29105 posts) -

Anyone who feels guilty just for being white has issues.

#49 Posted by Aljosa23 (24746 posts) -

No but I feel guilty for being Canadian.

We're so much better than the rest of the world.