Do you feel bad for overweight people?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SonyNintendoFan (527 posts) -

I see them, and i feel bad for them because all they want to do is lose the pounds and run around like normal person. It really is a sad existance, stuck in bed all day, wasting precious years of life. Childhood obesity is also pretty sad, when i see an overweight child, all i can think about is the sad ridicule he will go through in school and life.

How do you feel?

#2 Posted by thegerg (16242 posts) -
Not all of them, and not just for being fatties.
#3 Posted by Allicrombie (25580 posts) -
I definitely feel bad, after making fun of them.
#4 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15688 posts) -

I feel that you don't know the difference between overweight and morbidly obesity.

#5 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
I do. Being overweight obviously isn't healthy, but overweight people receive far more scorn than they deserve. And none of that scorn helps them in healthy ways.
#6 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -
I do. Being overweight obviously isn't healthy, but overweight people receive far more scorn than they deserve. And none of that scorn helps them in healthy ways.ghoklebutter
In fact, it often only worsens it.
#7 Posted by SonyNintendoFan (527 posts) -

I feel that you don't know the difference between overweight and morbidly obesity.

Ring_of_fire
What is the difference? overweight, obese, sounds the same to me. Both can't do the physical activities that a normal, healthy adult can do. Both receive insults. What's your point?
#8 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
There are very few that are bed ridden because of weight. About 1/3 of the US is obese and that makes me sad. It's really not super hard nowadays to reduce your caloric intake even just a couple of hundred calories and lose a pound or so each month. My biggest complaint is when the overweight people, especially women, get defensive about something that they could change if they wanted to. It doesnt help their case when they park in handicap spots and then go into the store and get onto a motorized cart.
#9 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -
[QUOTE="Ring_of_fire"]

SonyNintendoFan
What is the difference? overweight, obese, sounds the same to me. Both can't do the physical activities that a normal, healthy adult can do. Both receive insults. What's your point?

There's a very significant difference. One is generally comprised off bad habits and can be easily resolved, and the other often indicates a more serious issue that is not so easy to fix.
#10 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

No unless they have a valid reason being overweight.

#11 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

I don't feel bad for any fat people that have gotten that way due to their own laziness.  If someone truly has a genetic condition or physical disability that has been the primary contributor to their obesity, yes.. I feel bad for them.  Most fatties are that way because they lack the self-discipline and motivation to become fit.  Those people deserve no sympathy IMO.  

#12 Posted by Jebus213 (8926 posts) -
I feel bad for none of them. Stupid first world problems.
#13 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

Yeah, for the most part they seem pretty miserable. They don't get too much sympathy from me though because they have the power to change.

#14 Posted by Bucked20 (6651 posts) -
Yall act like fat people some handicap,dependent,can't move mutants,wtf
#15 Posted by MonoSilver (1392 posts) -
Not really.
#16 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

Only people i feel bad about is  kids that's young... I really feel like stomping most of those "parents" in the face

#17 Posted by drufeous (2535 posts) -

I don't feel bad for people who are responsible for what they become. Medical reasons, yeah, I feel bad for them.

#18 Posted by FinalFighters (1988 posts) -
I definitely feel bad, after making fun of them.Allicrombie
lol
#19 Posted by EatShanna (875 posts) -
Not really. Losing weight isn't that hard, if you put your mind to it. I'm 6'1, back in September of 2012 I weighed 111.5 kg, as of today I weigh at 80 kg, normal body fat percentage. 6 months, 31.5 kg. I didn't starve myself, I cut calories, started running and lifting weights, focused on protein but didn't get rid of carbs completely. If I can do it, so can other overweight people, no reason to feel bad for them. If they want to be normal weight they have power to do so.
#20 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15688 posts) -
[QUOTE="Ring_of_fire"]

SonyNintendoFan

I am overweight. According to my BMI, I am obese. (Not terribly obese, though). I am not bed ridden. I do not need any assistance to do basic activities, such as walking in a store. I can workout without needing help (though, my endurance does need work.) I do not feel sorry for myself, nor do I expect anyone to feel sorry for me. I also don't really care what other people think of me. By the way, even with my weight, I am still a healthy, normal (.....for the most part....) adult.
#21 Posted by lostrib (44032 posts) -

what if they don't want to do any of those things? and they're happy being fat

#22 Posted by drinkerofjuice (3631 posts) -
Nope. They made themselves overweight, and they're able to get themselves back in shape. It's all about sincerely giving a damn about your own well-being.
#23 Posted by howlrunner13 (4400 posts) -

Why would I feel bad for them.    Most of them are in that situation because of their own behavior.

I'd only feel bad for someone who had a disorder or something where it made it extremely difficult to control weight.

#24 Posted by Stranger_36 (505 posts) -
No.
#25 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
If I could afford steak and lobster everyday I'd be fat too.
#26 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -

Why would I feel bad?

#27 Posted by gamah_killah (13020 posts) -
If it weren't for their parents, I'd feel very bad.
#28 Posted by moneymatterz (1139 posts) -

Oh look! It's a "we hate fat people" thread.

#29 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

Nope.

#30 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4808 posts) -

no

#31 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34367 posts) -

Overweight people? No.

Morbidly obese people? Sometimes. I'd imagine in a large amount of cases being morbidly obese could potentially be life-threatening. And such people I would imagine could receive more scorn than someone who is simply just overweight.

#32 Posted by bobcheeseball (9312 posts) -
A little bit. Mostly because I eat like a damn pig and still skinny lol
#33 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

Kids who are fat due to lack of control by parents.. I definitely feel bad. I've always had a high metabolism so I pretty much eat whatever I want and don't care. Sucks for people who gain a pound just by looking at cheeseburger.

#34 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Some. Like I've got a friend that's pretty overweight, but both his parents are like 300+ pounds. So he's obviously gotta struggle more than most people to lose weight.

#35 Posted by supa_badman (16666 posts) -

lmfao thats a bit condescending

#36 Posted by ShadowsDemon (9540 posts) -
We should stop making fun of them. They have too much on their plate already.
#37 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -

We should stop making fun of them. They have too much on their plate already.ShadowsDemon

:lol:

#38 Posted by LordShockTitan (218 posts) -

Yes and no. It is somewhat their responsebility for talking care of themselves. Otherwise I do feel bad if they are put in a situation where they have to run to or from something.

#39 Posted by MrGeezer (57197 posts) -
There are very few that are bed ridden because of weight. About 1/3 of the US is obese and that makes me sad. It's really not super hard nowadays to reduce your caloric intake even just a couple of hundred calories and lose a pound or so each month. My biggest complaint is when the overweight people, especially women, get defensive about something that they could change if they wanted to. It doesnt help their case when they park in handicap spots and then go into the store and get onto a motorized cart.Kurushio
One thing about the handicapped thing...you say that about a third of the USA is obese (I'm not gonna check that, but I'll take your word on it for now). Yet, handicapped parking spaces aren't taking up a third of the parking lot, and most stores I've been to don't exactly have a $***load of motorized carts. So...where are you exactly getting the idea that fat people are overwhelmingly parking in handicap zones and using mortorized carts because they don't want to walk? Two things: 1) In certain cases, obesity IS a handicap. If you're so obese that you're handicapped, then why SHOULDN'T you park in handicapped spaces and use the motorized carts that are there to be used by handicapped people? 2) How many of these people that you've seen have you actually talked to in order to find out what their handicap is? That's the thing that annoys the $*** out of me. People see a fat dude on a motorized cart and assume that he's just a lazy fatass who is using a motorized cart because he doesn't want to walk. In other words, that he's using handicap resources because he's fat. What people don't ever seem to consider is that maybe he had some other disabilitty which contributed to him becoming obese. As in, he ALREADY had limited mobility, and his limited mobility played a huge part in him getting fat.
#40 Posted by Alienware_fan (1514 posts) -

If they dont feel bad for themselves why should we?

#41 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
Sort of. Sure a lot of them brought it on themselves but we all have vices. Some people really just don't have the time to exercise enough to be fit and some don't have the money to buy healthy foods or the time to prepare it if they do have the money. Still there's some fat people who really have no excuse and should stop being such fatty fat fat fats (scientific term for such a person).
#42 Posted by Rawrrah (38 posts) -
I don't know if I feel sorry for them as long they don't want to change it themselves. I'm not dealing with eating too much and being overweight, but dealing with the opposite. There can go up to three days before I intake any food, and I only do it because my body starts to hurt. I'm going to the doctor about it next week, maybe I'm having an eating disorder. I don't really feel that sorry about the fat people. It must be great being able to eat food, and not feeling horrible and guilty about it the second after, like I do.
#43 Posted by Jackboot343 (2574 posts) -

I feel bad for skinny people. All that dieting and excercise, and still appear unattractive :?

#44 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15555 posts) -

I see them, and i feel bad for them because all they want to do is lose the pounds and run around like normal person. It really is a sad existance, stuck in bed all day, wasting precious years of life.

Not all of them want to lose weight or care and I'm pretty sure that not all overweight people are stuck in bed all day.

I don't feel bad for people who are responsible for what they become. Medical reasons, yeah, I feel bad for them.

drufeous
^
#45 Posted by ShadowsDemon (9540 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]We should stop making fun of them. They have too much on their plate already.dagreenfish

:lol:

Good to know I made your day :P
#46 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

no, that's a waste of feels.

I feel bad for kids that have type 1 diabetes.