Do you disrespect transgender people?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42577 posts) -
Of course I respect it, although the man-voice on a drug-induced feminine figure is awkward as f*ck.
#102 Posted by achilles614 (4843 posts) -
Of course I respect it, although the man-voice on a drug-induced feminine figure is awkward as f*ck.Stevo_the_gamer
Hi, names Pat wanna lift weights?
#103 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"]No, why would I...or anyone for that matter?thegerg
For the same reason you would not respect someone who is not transgendered. Are transgendered people some type of magical beings that is always deserving of respect?

Sure, but I don't AUTOMATICALLY disrespect someone for being transgendered. I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't apply to what I've said.
#104 Posted by jeremiah06 (7169 posts) -

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"]I once asked this tranny the size of a pro linebacker for a stick of gum once... he/she gave me the gum and I said thanks...Pffrbt

The term "tranny" is considered derogatory by some.

I said he/she and tranny is the word you complain about? Priorities man! Priorities!!
#105 Posted by thegerg (14596 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"]No, why would I...or anyone for that matter?chrisrooR
For the same reason you would not respect someone who is not transgendered. Are transgendered people some type of magical beings that is always deserving of respect?

Sure, but I don't AUTOMATICALLY disrespect someone for being transgendered. I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't apply to what I've said.

It does apply to what you've said. You've made a blanket statement that you don't disrespect transgendered people, and implied that you can't think of a reason that one would.

That is simpleminded and fails to take the person, as a whole, into consideration. It's quite disrespectful to see them as transgendered frist and as a person second.

#106 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="thegerg"] For the same reason you would not respect someone who is not transgendered. Are transgendered people some type of magical beings that is always deserving of respect? thegerg

It does apply to what you've said. You've made a blanket statement that you don't disrespect transgendered people, and implied that you can't think of a reason that one would. That is simpleminded and fails to take the person, as a whole, into consideration.

You've just met a transgendered person. You've never met the person before. Do you disrespect said person?

Edit: (you're implying that because I don't disrespect the person, therefore, I must be respecting him/her. Not the case).

#107 Posted by jeremiah06 (7169 posts) -
I'm also noticing an unhealthy abundance of people saying that they respect transgenders, while simultaneously demonstrating that they don't respect them at all. That's some impressive doublethink. JinjonatorX
They're saying they respect them as much as everyone else... If I laugh at everyone then not laughing at a tranny is "disrespectful"...
#108 Posted by thegerg (14596 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"] Sure, but I don't AUTOMATICALLY disrespect someone for being transgendered. I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't apply to what I've said. chrisrooR

It does apply to what you've said. You've made a blanket statement that you don't disrespect transgendered people, and implied that you can't think of a reason that one would. That is simpleminded and fails to take the person, as a whole, into consideration.

You've just met a transgendered person. You've never met the person before. Do you disrespect said person?

Edit: (you're implying that because I don't disrespect the person, therefore, I must be respecting him/her. Not the case).

If you don't respect them then you disrespect them. That's what that word means, a lack of respect. Anyway, this isn't the type of question that a reasonable person should have a "yes" or "no" answer for. There are plenty of transgenderd people that deserve respect, and plenty that deserve disrespect.
#109 Posted by tryagainlater (7445 posts) -

No, I actually respect them for having the courage to go through with something like that. Must be hard to handle feeling like you're the wrong gender.

#110 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] It does apply to what you've said. You've made a blanket statement that you don't disrespect transgendered people, and implied that you can't think of a reason that one would. That is simpleminded and fails to take the person, as a whole, into consideration.thegerg

If you don't respect them then you disrespect them. That's what that word means, a lack of respect. Anyway, this isn't the type of question that a reasonable person should have a "yes" or "no" answer for. There are plenty of transgenderd people that deserve respect, and plenty that deserve disrespect.

No, actually. You can be on neutral terms with a person. So you're telling me that you disrespect people until they give you a reason to respect them?
#111 Posted by thegerg (14596 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"] You've just met a transgendered person. You've never met the person before. Do you disrespect said person?

chrisrooR

No, actually. You can be on neutral terms with a person. So you're telling me that you disrespect people until they give you a reason to respect them?

I don't disrespect someone until they give me reason to not respect them, but that's beside the point.

That is what that word (disrespect) means, a lack of respect. If you don't respect them then you disrespect them. That doesn't mean that you treat them poorly or see them as a bad person, you simply lack respect for them. It's really quit simple.

#112 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -

Must be hard to handle feeling like you're the wrong gender.

tryagainlater
Actually, what's hard to handle is not the feeling that one has the wrong gender, but rather the feeling that one's body doesn't fit one's subconscious sex.
#113 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="thegerg"] If you don't respect them then you disrespect them. That's what that word means, a lack of respect. Anyway, this isn't the type of question that a reasonable person should have a "yes" or "no" answer for. There are plenty of transgenderd people that deserve respect, and plenty that deserve disrespect.thegerg

I don't disrespect someone until they give me reason to not respect them, but that's beside the point.

That is what that word (disrespect) means, a lack of respect. If you don't respect them then you disrespect them. That doesn't mean that you treat them poorly or see them as a bad person, you simply lack respect for them. It's really quit simple.

Exactly "I don't disrespect someone until they give me a reason to not respect them" So by your black-and-white logic, you would respect people you meet for the first time? Can you not be neutral in such a situation?
#114 Posted by thegerg (14596 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"]

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"] No, actually. You can be on neutral terms with a person. So you're telling me that you disrespect people until they give you a reason to respect them?chrisrooR

Exactly "I don't disrespect someone until they give me a reason to not respect them" So by your black-and-white logic, you would respect people you meet for the first time? Can you not be neutral in such a situation?

Respect and disrespect are the only options. There is no "neutral" between respect and disrespect.
#115 Posted by waterproof9 (682 posts) -

Just because you are transgender, no. I will respect everyone from jump until I am given a reason to disrespect someone. Being transgender is a real struggle for a lot of people and I don't have to add to their problems.

#116 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -

i don't hate transgender people? i actually like the few that i've met. I might feel awakward from time to time, but that's not the source or cause of any problem.

If i disrespected/disliked a transgender person, it was absolutely certainly not based on them being trans but rather something else about them.

the same goes for every other demographic, women, men, arab, white, black, etc. the basis of who they are is not my reason for not liking them.

#117 Posted by tumbIew33d (398 posts) -

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="thegerg"] I don't disrespect someone until they give me reason to not respect them, but that's beside the point.

thegerg

Respect and disrespect are the only options. There is no "neutral" between respect and disrespect.

To respect somebody means to hold them in high esteem, even without action; to disrespect someone entails treating or speaking to them without respect. Respect is a stative verb; disrespect is an active verb. The way I understand it, they aren't perfect antonyms.

#118 Posted by thegerg (14596 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"] Exactly "I don't disrespect someone until they give me a reason to not respect them" So by your black-and-white logic, you would respect people you meet for the first time? Can you not be neutral in such a situation?tumbIew33d

To respect somebody means to hold them in high esteem, even without action; to disrespect someone entails treating or speaking to them without respect. Respect is a stative verb; disrespect is an active verb. The way I understand it, they aren't perfect antonyms.

Disespect is also simply to lack respect. Works often have more than one definition, you know. If you don't respect someone, then you disrespect them.
#119 Posted by tumbIew33d (398 posts) -

[QUOTE="tumbIew33d"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] Respect and disrespect are the only options. There is no "neutral" between respect and disrespect. thegerg

Disespect is also simply to lack respect. Works often have more than one definition, you know. If you don't respect someone, then you disrespect them.

Hmm, I hadn't heard that; I guess it must be an American thing. That sounds kind of stupid to me, tbh. The rest of the world would recognise "to disrespect" as "to insult".

#120 Posted by tocool340 (20448 posts) -

No? Am I supposed to?...

#121 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -
oh GOD I totally misread the title ;__;FMAB_GTO
I kind of figured lol. I do not disrespect them at all, but its just odd to me how you would change your sex.
#122 Posted by kerrman (2904 posts) -

Of course not, what is this the 1950s?

It's 2012, accepting everyone shouldn't be a question anymore.

#123 Posted by MannyDelgado (1250 posts) -

I think they're wrong; not morally, but factually, in the sense that they are mistaken about whether they are men or women. I have nothing against them, however.
whether you consider that a form of disrespect is up to you

#124 Posted by Lockedge (16794 posts) -

I think they're wrong; not morally, but factually, in the sense that they are mistaken about whether they are men or women. I have nothing against them, however.

MannyDelgado
I figure, the true essence of ourselves, of who we are, is housed in our brains. The body merely houses it. Is someone truly mistaken about if they're a man or a woman if they're being true to themselves, or should they go along with a simplistic definition of what's between their legs makes them a man or a woman? Are people with intersex conditions mistaken when they have parts of both reproductive organs, and their doctors declare they're one or the other at birth, yet they feel otherwise? These rare occurrences can happen while children develop in the fetus, whether they happen to the body, or to the mind. People like to assume that everything is simpler than it is, but human beings are complex. You can say that you feel whatever you want though. If you feel trans people thinking they're a man or a woman, when they weren't assigned that at birth, is weird or wrong o some level, or whatever, but you should probably not bring up facts, because pretty much all studies done on it in the last forty years point to this being legitimate.
#125 Posted by Smokescreened84 (2484 posts) -
Here - http://skepchick.org/2012/01/13-myths-and-misconceptions-about-trans-women-part-one/ - This should help many understand what trans-gender and trans-sexual actually means and the kind of life it is for those of us who are trans-gender and/or trans-sexual. It requires this amazing thing called reading, something that's been around for centuries. It's quite wonderful to read.
#126 Posted by chilly-chill (8902 posts) -
I respect them, but I wouldn't touch one in a million years.
#127 Posted by MannyDelgado (1250 posts) -

[QUOTE="MannyDelgado"]

Lockedge

I figure, the true essence of ourselves, of who we are, is housed in our brains. The body merely houses it. Is someone truly mistaken about if they're a man or a woman if they're being true to themselves, or should they go along with a simplistic definition of what's between their legs makes them a man or a woman? Are people with intersex conditions mistaken when they have parts of both reproductive organs, and their doctors declare they're one or the other at birth, yet they feel otherwise? These rare occurrences can happen while children develop in the fetus, whether they happen to the body, or to the mind. People like to assume that everything is simpler than it is, but human beings are complex. You can say that you feel whatever you want though. If you feel trans people thinking they're a man or a woman, when they weren't assigned that at birth, is weird or wrong o some level, or whatever, but you should probably not bring up facts, because pretty much all studies done on it in the last forty years point to this being legitimate.

My issue with it is that I think gender itself is a pretty stupid idea; it's really an extension of the concept that to be a man or a women is to act and think and dress in a certain way. To me, that seems like a dated, restrictive concept which really should have died decades ago.

#128 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42577 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Of course I respect it, although the man-voice on a drug-induced feminine figure is awkward as f*ck.achilles614
Hi, names Pat wanna lift weights?

Another time.

#129 Posted by Lockedge (16794 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="MannyDelgado"]

MannyDelgado

My issue with it is that I think gender itself is a pretty stupid idea; it's really an extension of the concept that to be a man or a women is to act and think and dress in a certain way. To me, that seems like a dated, restrictive concept which really should have died decades ago.

I can understand why you dislike gender. I personally find it too restrictive to constrain it to the dichotomy most people assume.

But if someone is trans, and feels that despite their body appearing male, that they are female, that isn't gender performance. Many people call it "gender identity" which I personally find to be a relatively troubling name for someone feeling significant dissonance between their body and mind(to simplify it), but language is language.

I can't speak for all trans people, because every one of us is different, but there are a lot whose gender varies within a "feminine" range, within a "masculine" range, and whose gender is androgynous, or shifts constantly between the two. There's more than just gender expression to being trans.

#130 Posted by dave123321 (33578 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="tumbIew33d"]To respect somebody means to hold them in high esteem, even without action; to disrespect someone entails treating or speaking to them without respect. Respect is a stative verb; disrespect is an active verb. The way I understand it, they aren't perfect antonyms.

tumbIew33d

Hmm, I hadn't heard that; I guess it must be an American thing. That sounds kind of stupid to me, tbh. The rest of the world would recognise "to disrespect" as "to insult".

best to ignore thegerg at times like these. He likes to take things very literally and harp and harp at them for whatever reason.
#131 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -

[QUOTE="MannyDelgado"]

[QUOTE="Lockedge"] I figure, the true essence of ourselves, of who we are, is housed in our brains. The body merely houses it. Is someone truly mistaken about if they're a man or a woman if they're being true to themselves, or should they go along with a simplistic definition of what's between their legs makes them a man or a woman? Are people with intersex conditions mistaken when they have parts of both reproductive organs, and their doctors declare they're one or the other at birth, yet they feel otherwise? These rare occurrences can happen while children develop in the fetus, whether they happen to the body, or to the mind. People like to assume that everything is simpler than it is, but human beings are complex. You can say that you feel whatever you want though. If you feel trans people thinking they're a man or a woman, when they weren't assigned that at birth, is weird or wrong o some level, or whatever, but you should probably not bring up facts, because pretty much all studies done on it in the last forty years point to this being legitimate.Lockedge

I can understand why you dislike gender. I personally find it too restrictive to constrain it to the dichotomy most people assume.

But if someone is trans, and feels that despite their body appearing male, that they are female, that isn't gender performance. Many people call it "gender identity" which I personally find to be a relatively troubling name for someone feeling significant dissonance between their body and mind(to simplify it), but language is language.

I can't speak for all trans people, because every one of us is different, but there are a lot whose gender varies within a "feminine" range, within a "masculine" range, and whose gender is androgynous, or shifts constantly between the two. There's more than just gender expression to being trans.

if i can give my 2 cents. By evidence of the fact that trans people exist, and that how they often not only behave and think but how they also express themselves publicly (or how they'd like to if they could depending on where a person would be) would tell me that gender in itself isn't an entirely just a social construct.

my main issue with gender as it is it today is mostly around how restrictive it can be, but i stop short of making the cardinal sin of saying gender is pure bs.

We may be higher social order animals on the Earth, but we still are animals at our base and a lot of what we do and act unconsciously i think stems from that and manifests itself in the social arena.

I mean even if you look at anthropology and history, regardless of time, place, and people. the gender roles in and of themselves may shift over the centuries, but certain things remain the same between two/three main genders, i don't think that consistency is indicative of some artificial social enforcement.

but that's my though thought based on my own readings and observations.

#132 Posted by CreasianDevaili (3991 posts) -
[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"]If someone starts a conversation up over what turns them on the most, most chances are i've done left the building and going to do something else.
So you just walk away while someone's talking to you? That's kind of rude.
So no. You would never have me talking to a friend about relationships.
How convenient for you. I've gotten stuck in situations where I couldn't simply walk away though.
I expect my friends to know how to handle themselves and their own lives. I also expect them not to bring drama with them which is what relationship conversations often bring.
It doesn't have to necessarily be a relationship conversation, someone could just bring up their significant other in a conversation about something else. This would be bringing up their sexuality, which is a big no-no for you.

Again, I treat everyone the same.
Why?
Then yeah i want you to be female and possibly bisexual for freaky fun!
You sound like a real catch.

What I am asking you is simple and you've only offered childish stuff in return. Not good enough.

How is respecting someone's sexuality/gender and being sensitive childish?

How can you get stuck in conversations with people whom you considered a friend and feel that you couldn't talk about men? Telling someone your sexuality in that manner just means you are trying to use it to stop a conversation when you should just talk freely and expand it. Thats what friendship is. Why try and ask people to limit what they say around you when you haven't given them the chance to limit you? All you've done is made the entire thing about you and your feelings. It is a two way street. You should never need to tell your friends your sexuality or gender. It shouldn't be a factor. Just talk about the crap if the conversation does arise and have fun. If they put you down for it then they weren't your friends to begin with.

Also sensitive? Ha..ha... Stop being a puss with trying to even force your friends to treat you like something is wrong with you.
#133 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lockedge"]

[QUOTE="MannyDelgado"]

SaudiFury

if i can give my 2 cents. By evidence of the fact that trans people exist, and that how they often not only behave and think but how they also express themselves publicly (or how they'd like to if they could depending on where a person would be) would tell me that gender in itself isn't an entirely just a social construct.

my main issue with gender as it is it today is mostly around how restrictive it can be, but i stop short of making the cardinal sin of saying gender is pure bs.

We may be higher social order animals on the Earth, but we still are animals at our base and a lot of what we do and act unconsciously i think stems from that and manifests itself in the social arena.

I mean even if you look at anthropology and history, regardless of time, place, and people. the gender roles in and of themselves may shift over the centuries, but certain things remain the same between two/three main genders, i don't think that consistency is indicative of some artificial social enforcement.

I think Julia Serano put it very nicely: while gender itself is based on both biological and sociocultural factors, gender expectations and stereotypes depend entirely (or at least primarily) on culture.
#134 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -
[QUOTE="SaudiFury"]

[QUOTE="Lockedge"]

ghoklebutter

I think Julia Serano put it very nicely: while gender itself is based on both biological and sociocultural factors, gender expectations and stereotypes depend entirely (or at least primarily) on culture.

and i think i can agree with that summation as well.
#135 Posted by Lockedge (16794 posts) -
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="SaudiFury"] if i can give my 2 cents. By evidence of the fact that trans people exist, and that how they often not only behave and think but how they also express themselves publicly (or how they'd like to if they could depending on where a person would be) would tell me that gender in itself isn't an entirely just a social construct.

SaudiFury

and i think i can agree with that summation as well.

Aye. Serano really hits the nail on the head there. Humans aren't just blank slates when it comes to gender. It's not just a social construct, it's reproduced socioculturally and biologically.
#136 Posted by Aljosa23 (24535 posts) -

I feel like I link this image too much but damnit, it's so relevant.

Genderbread-2.1.jpg

#137 Posted by ShuLordLiuPei (9506 posts) -

Of course not.

#138 Posted by KiIIyou (27135 posts) -
Which one?
#139 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

While I admit that I do think it is a bit odd, I do not dispresect them. I have no right to do so, only God can juge someone, not me. They are not hurting anyone, I imagine they have some kind of mental issue that they are struggling with. However that is just my view but I treat them the same as everyone else.

We are all God's children, that includes transgendered/gay,bi/ whatever. It does not make them bad people. Only murder, discrimination/bigotry, rape, child abuse etc...those make someone bad.

#140 Posted by ShuLordLiuPei (9506 posts) -

If you don't respect them then you disrespect them. That's what that word means, a lack of respect.thegerg
No. The Latin prefix 'dis-' means "the reverse;" it states that something is directly opposed to something else. It does not simply mean the lack of something.

#141 Posted by thegerg (14596 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"]If you don't respect them then you disrespect them. That's what that word means, a lack of respect.ShuLordLiuPei

No. The Latin prefix 'dis-' means "the reverse;" it states that something is directly opposed to something else. It does not simply mean the lack of something.

It also means "remove". Again, many words have multiple definitions. A dictionary definition: "2. disrespect - have little or no respect for"
#142 Posted by hippiesanta (9755 posts) -
I respect them more than a lot of "normal" people who are afraid to be who they really are.Zeviander
yup.... you are right... transgender afraid to accept that they have a dingdong dingling between their legs
#143 Posted by bobaban (10539 posts) -
I wouldn't associate myself with them personally, but let them do whatever it is they do. I do see them as freaks though.
#144 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

Would you guys be comfortable dating a transgender woman if her body was indistinguishable from a cis woman's?

#145 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -

Would you guys be comfortable dating a transgender woman if her body was indistinguishable from a cis woman's?

Pffrbt
i would be fine with it. straight up. even though i know friends and family would be freaked out by that.
#146 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -

Pffrbt
Of course. I'd also date a trans* woman with some male bodily features such as male sex organs.
#147 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

I don't go around slamming insults and abuse into their faces but I also don't respect what they are.

#148 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

I can never understand why someone would surgically change their gender. That said, no I would never disrespect nor do I wish to restrict their way of life.

#149 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24961 posts) -

The "check your cis scum privilege" people on Tumblr who are offended by everything and are incredibly aggressive about cis gender straight men probably don't help anything though.

Pffrbt

What the fried oyster cloyster moysters does "cis gender straight men" mean?

#150 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

The "check your cis scum privilege" people on Tumblr who are offended by everything and are incredibly aggressive about cis gender straight men probably don't help anything though.

THE_DRUGGIE

What the fried oyster cloyster moysters does "cis gender straight men" mean?

Look it up. There's a lot of condescending explanations on tumblr.