Do you consider the Jurassic Park sequels good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4089 posts) -

The Lost World and Jurassic Park III are being released on Blu-Ray in the UK and I'm in two minds about getting them. I've already got the original which I think is one of the best adventure films ever made but I'm not sure what to make of the sequels. I'm tempted to view them as just good dumb fun but then again they're nowhere near as good as the first.

Plus, I'm always reluctant to tarnish my film collection with 'questionable' titles.

#2 Posted by Alter_Echo (10722 posts) -

They are average at best but you really can't fault them considering they were trying to followup what I consider one of the best films of all time.

#3 Posted by MrGeezer (56766 posts) -
I hated #2 and I never even bothered watching #3.
#4 Posted by mitu123 (154504 posts) -

They aren't good, The Lost World is mediocre and Jurassic Park 3 is one of the most disappointing sequels ever made, I hated that movie.

#5 Posted by PsychoLemons (2280 posts) -

I disliked both sequels.

#6 Posted by sukraj (23489 posts) -

I like all of them.

#7 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43173 posts) -
They're decent, that's about the best I can levy about them.
#8 Posted by tocool340 (20617 posts) -
I actually enjoyed them though lost world really seem like a king kong rip off without the damsel in distress part....
#9 Posted by -TheSecondSign- (9215 posts) -

They're alright.

#10 Posted by muller39 (14944 posts) -

They were great when I was a kid. Now, not so much.

#11 Posted by hippiesanta (9947 posts) -
horrifying at best
#12 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

I hated 2, but found the last section pretty cool.

I actually enjoyed part 3, still not as good as 1 but I enjoyed it.

I have to say though, compared to Jaws franchise atleast JP sequels were bearable.

#13 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4729 posts) -

Second one sucked, but I honestly enjoyed the 3rd one. Not as much as the first, but it still had the dinosaur chases, and the generic arguments I hear that the characters are annoying from most people don't work on me. Mostly because the kids are more annoying in the first one.

#14 Posted by Celldrax (14723 posts) -

They certainly can't compare to the first.

I'll just say they were enjoyable enough.

#15 Posted by C_Glass (259 posts) -

Each of the films have alot of interesting scenes but overall they are pretty poor movies. Making the protagonists of the second film into dinosaur hippies really ruined the story for me "oh noes, these guys caging the dinosaurs, let's do something that will get them killed (release them into their camp) because murder is totally not worse than caging dinosaurs!"

They could definitely be reworked into good movies though. The visuals are still great, but god are the characters in both films god awful.

#16 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

They certainly don't measure up to the original, and the ending sequence of The Lost World is really terrible.

#17 Posted by helwa1988 (2113 posts) -

I actually find the lost world to be the best out of all of them.

I think people prefer the 1st out of nostalgia.
#18 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

I didn't care for the second one at all. It just didn't do anything for me. The third one was okay, it had some cool parts like the big Pterodactyl cage and Tea Leoni is always nice to look at.

#19 Posted by thegerg (15739 posts) -
No I've never seen them.
#20 Posted by PcGamingRig (7119 posts) -

I am just glad Jurassic Park 4 never made it out.

Dinosaurs with guns? WTF?!?

The original is still amazing though.

#21 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

As a kid I enjoyed them. Watching them now I just see how inferior they are to the first.

#22 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

I actually find the lost world to be the best out of all of them.

I think people prefer the 1st out of nostalgia.helwa1988
No way. The original is good because it goes beyond a dumb chase movie. It had themes of morals and ethics. The next two are the definition of chase movies.
#23 Posted by Serraph105 (28354 posts) -

I never saw number 3 so I can't really comment. As far as the second I've only seen it once, but it seemed to have lost the adventure part that made the first seem so amazing.

#24 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

The original is still amazing though.

PcGamingRig
I heard they're doing a reboot of the series, never really looked into it though. As for the OP, the sequels are ok but they don't even touch the first one and it's greatness. The first is in my top 5 favorite movies ever so I am kinda biased for it.
#25 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I've watched the third, at least 3 times, and don't remember any of it. The second is good, not magical like the first.
#26 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

The 2nd was mediocre but the 3rd was really interesting with all that "survival" crap that was awesome.

#27 Posted by mitu123 (154504 posts) -

I think people prefer the 1st out of nostalgia.helwa1988

Or it's a better movie with less stupidity and had a better story.

#28 Posted by Aljosa23 (25645 posts) -

Better than the Jaws sequels that's for sure.

#29 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10929 posts) -
I like the second one, and the third is still decent.
#30 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14546 posts) -

Better than the Jaws sequels that's for sure.

Aljosa23
Well, the second one wasn't bad. The other two--ugh.
#31 Posted by Audacitron (915 posts) -

Are the sequels good? Not as good as they should be. But good enough. Watchable nonsense.

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

Second one sucked, but I honestly enjoyed the 3rd one. Not as much as the first, but it still had the dinosaur chases, and the generic arguments I hear that the characters are annoying from most people don't work on me. Mostly because the kids are more annoying in the first one.

dercoo

I didn't care for the second one at all. It just didn't do anything for me. The third one was okay, it had some cool parts like the big Pterodactyl cage and Tea Leoni is always nice to look at.

Jackc8

The 2nd was mediocre but the 3rd was really interesting with all that "survival" crap that was awesome.

Ricardomz

Agree with all of these. I'm surprised, I thought I was the only one who preferred JP3 over JP2.

JP2 just really frustrated me because Crichton actually wrote a bloody good sequel and Spielberg butchered it. Spielberg came up with some nonsense where we're supposed to root for do-gooder heroes who are basically resonsible for getting everyone killed. They set the dinosaurs loose, they abduct the t.rex juvenile. I also thought what happened in the end should've been saved for JP3.

The main complaint I hear about JP3 is from T.rex fanboys who are pissed about how that went down. The main complaint I had about that movie was the abrupt ending that just came out of nowhere. It always seemed to me that like they had something more spectacular in mind, but either ran out of money or had to rush it to make release date. I would've ended it with a rematch where T.rexes take down the Spinosaurus. That way everyone's happy

#32 Posted by Treflis (11670 posts) -
The second one I like, The third one was decent.
#33 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14546 posts) -

The sequels were...okay, but they weren't good enough to warrant a Blu-ray purchase.

#34 Posted by Swanogt19 (24159 posts) -
Two was alright.
#35 Posted by T_REX305 (11304 posts) -

I'm just gonna say the first movie is the best one.

#36 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

Jurassic Park- Amazing. Still one of the best-done movies ever.

The Lost World- Mediocre.

Jurassic Park III- There is no reason for it to exist.

#37 Posted by mitu123 (154504 posts) -

Jurassic Park- Amazing. Still one of the best-done movies ever.

The Lost World- Mediocre.

Jurassic Park III- There is no reason for it to exist.

NeonNinja

This post said it best and I agree 100%.

#38 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

The Lost World is horrible except for the T-Rex outta nowhere scene in the camp.

JP3 is a fun monster movie with a really bad cast. It features some cool scenes from the first book.

PcGamingRig

Trust me, that script is awesome. It's full of twists, outrageous violence and monsters. Remember that the JP dinosaurs are genetic abominations themselves, although the movies sort of glance over that fact. That old JP4 concept pushes the idea even further. Unfortunately the way it ties in with the franchise means it would lose a lot of appeal if another studio would resurrect it. It is 100% a JP sequel.

#39 Posted by Lord_Omikron666 (4776 posts) -

I thought the second was pretty good, not as good as the first, but still good and a hell of alot better then the third.

#40 Posted by Los9090 (7288 posts) -
OMG NO!!! However the BOOK sequel was outstanding
#41 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4089 posts) -

Didn't get them in the end. Didn't feel right.

#42 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

Jurassic Park is a breathtaking movie, which no sequel could ever live up to. However, The Lost World and Jurassic Park 3 are still very good movies that are well worth watching.

#43 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
the lost world is just as good if not better than the first one. #3 sucks though
#44 Posted by hoola (6422 posts) -

I think the second film continued with that sort of magical feeling that the first had. The third did not, but atleast they got Sam Neill to play a part.

#45 Posted by sSubZerOo (43426 posts) -
second one was merely ok, third one was AWFUL.
#46 Posted by Detroit222 (5320 posts) -

Agree. The BOOK Sequel to II was outstanding. I read it and was really looking forward to seeing the movie. But they ripped the guts out of it and turned it into a mess. (I read somewhere that they added the LA ending because the US Gozilla had come out at around the same time.)

I liked III, probably because Sam Neill and William Macy were in it. Also the kid was pretty good (unlike the ones in I and II). The ending was a bit rushed. But I did love that giant dinosaur (Allysaur?). He was a lot scarier than t-rex.

#47 Posted by Angie7F (1120 posts) -
I hated #2 and I never even bothered watching #3.MrGeezer
Exactly the same here. Same thing happened to me on the Harry Potter series.