Do you care about violence in films/books anymore?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10172 posts) -

I find myself caring less and less, to be honest. Watching something like Game of Thrones now, I'm barely bothered by it. It's pretty violent, sure, but I find myself getting used to it after a while. A few years ago is a different story, though.

Sometimes I mention some of the games/shows/books that I enjoy to friends and they all give me weird looks since it's so extremely violent, but it doesn't really make an effect on me.

Anyone else notice this?

#2 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24976 posts) -

Only when someone uses a book for violence in a film.

Books are for reading, not smacking people around.

#3 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1774 posts) -
Violence is fake on TV, it doesn't bother me, now real violence like stuff recorded with phones and put on the internet that bothers me and I won't watch it. I don't even like boxing really :P Yet I'll watch dean, cas and sam stab demons and people all day in supernatural :P
#4 Posted by Aljosa23 (25639 posts) -

Not really. I get irked when I see stereotypes and bad characters, though.

#5 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
No, but you know what erks me? Pointless sex scenes to attract younger audiences like the transformer films.
#6 Posted by Chow_Mein_Kampf (6651 posts) -

THE_DRUGGIE

I got hit in the face with a Harry Potter book once, does that upset you?

#7 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26626 posts) -
Violence has never bothered me as long as it serves a purpose within the story. What does bother me is that it has somehow become more acceptable than sex and nudity.
#8 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
It depends on the degree of violence. I stay far away from movies that are gratuitously violent or contain sexual violence as well. That's just how I am.
#9 Posted by PS3Compass (2413 posts) -

No, but you know what erks me? Pointless sex scenes to attract younger audiences like the transformer films. Fightingfan

Transformers had sex scenes?

#10 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10172 posts) -
Violence has never bothered me as long as it serves a purpose within the story. What does bother me is that it has somehow become more acceptable than sex and nudity. SaintLeonidas
Agreed, but the thing is that sometimes it's for effect in relation to the story and plot, such as in Game of Thrones.
#11 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]No, but you know what erks me? Pointless sex scenes to attract younger audiences like the transformer films. PS3Compass

The sex appeal. It's totally pointless and only so teens will go watch the movie, like the beginning of the newest movie, I only saw like the first 15mins because it was so bad.
#12 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1774 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]No, but you know what erks me? Pointless sex scenes to attract younger audiences like the transformer films. PS3Compass

Megan Fox?
#13 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Violence has never bothered me as long as it serves a purpose within the story. What does bother me is that it has somehow become more acceptable than sex and nudity. ShadowsDemon
Agreed, but the thing is that sometimes it's for effect in relation to the story and plot, such as in Game of Thrones.

Well games of thrones doesn't exactly throw nudity in your face, it's appropriate for the setting. You're in a brothel naturally you'll see some boobs.
#14 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4184 posts) -

Well there were a lot of scenes with robots pushing down other robots and pulling out their junk.
#15 Posted by PS3Compass (2413 posts) -

[QUOTE="PS3Compass"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]No, but you know what erks me? Pointless sex scenes to attract younger audiences like the transformer films. TrainerCeleste

Megan Fox?

If Megan Fox walks into a room does everyone start having sex?

#16 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24976 posts) -

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

Chow_Mein_Kampf

I got hit in the face with a Harry Potter book once, does that upset you?

It would if I could call that compendium of verbal dribble a "book."

But I can't because I have dignity.

And more MP.

#17 Posted by MrGeezer (56752 posts) -

I find myself caring less and less, to be honest. Watching something like Game of Thrones now, I'm barely bothered by it. It's pretty violent, sure, but I find myself getting used to it after a while. A few years ago is a different story, though.

Sometimes I mention some of the games/shows/books that I enjoy to friends and they all give me weird looks since it's so extremely violent, but it doesn't really make an effect on me.

Anyone else notice this?

ShadowsDemon
Depends on how the violence is used. Does it fit the story, is it appropriate to the themes and the plot? Is it there for a reason, or is it just gore for gore's sake?
#18 Posted by LZ71 (10324 posts) -
I'm not a fan of violence or sex just to have it there, so stuff like Saw is not for me. However, I don't mind if it has a point or is actually necessary.
#19 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1774 posts) -

[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"][QUOTE="PS3Compass"]

PS3Compass

Megan Fox?

No but she has enough bewbs to have everyone flocking to the screen to stare at them unfortunately /)_u
#20 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

[QUOTE="PS3Compass"]

[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"] Megan Fox?TrainerCeleste

No but she has enough bewbs to have everyone flocking to the screen to stare at them unfortunately /)_u

Megan Fox thumb tribute - Megan Fox has clubbed thumbs, a.k.a. brachydactyly type-d..

#21 Posted by josephl64 (4424 posts) -

it's a non-issue for me...I don't necessarily look for violence, but at the same time I don't care if there is any.

#22 Posted by Solid_Link22 (5686 posts) -

I love violence in films :D

#23 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1774 posts) -

[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"][QUOTE="PS3Compass"]

Fightingfan

-snip-

90% of my high school class looked at nothing other than her chest so this argument is invalid :P I don't get why she was so popular though xD

#24 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10172 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Violence has never bothered me as long as it serves a purpose within the story. What does bother me is that it has somehow become more acceptable than sex and nudity. Fightingfan

Well games of thrones doesn't exactly throw nudity in your face, it's appropriate for the setting. You're in a brothel naturally you'll see some boobs.

It depends. The scenes are so random and unexpected sometimes that it's weird. Like the scene where some girl flashes Theon Grayjoy out of the blue. That was awkward
#25 Posted by soulless4now (41381 posts) -

No. Caring takes effort and I don't have much of that.

But really, violence makes movies/books more interesting to me.