Do you believe that Jesus was a white man?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Fairmonkey (163 posts) -

If Jesus ever existed, it is highly unlikely that he was white. At the time, there wasn't a whole melting pot of ethnicities like there is today so I believe he was more likely one of these other ethnicities from 1 being most likely to 4 being less likely of the listed:

1. Middle Eastern

2. Asian

3. Black

4. White

What is your take on it?

#2 Posted by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -
asian
#3 Posted by C_Rule (9740 posts) -

Relevant:

morgan-freeman-god.jpg

#4 Posted by applesxc47 (10761 posts) -

"Was Jesus Middle Eastern?"

Where do you think he came from?

That being said, my guesses are:

1. Middle Eastern

2. Black

3. Asian

4. White

#5 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

asianLonelynight

vlcsnap-2012-05-29-09h20m15s58.jpg

#6 Posted by toast_burner (21498 posts) -

asianLonelynight
This is correct, but to be more specific he was middle eastern.

#7 Posted by GrayF0X786 (3850 posts) -

some christians don't even think he was a man to begin with :roll:

#8 Posted by Killzonage (408 posts) -
Jesus can be what ever you imagine him to be. End of story.
#9 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36791 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]asianSirWander

Korean Jesus (L)
#10 Posted by tenaka2 (17032 posts) -

Jesus was from sweden.

swedish jesus

#11 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

Korean Jesus (L)chaoscougar1

Stop fvckin with Korean Jesus! He ain't got no time for your problems. He busy! Wit Korean sh!t!

#12 Posted by Tokeism (2332 posts) -
Middle Eastern
#13 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36791 posts) -

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]Korean Jesus (L)SirWander

Stop fvckin with Korean Jesus! He ain't got no time for your problems. He busy! Wit Korean sh!t!

lol
#14 Posted by lamprey263 (23490 posts) -
most Jesus I know are Mexican
#15 Posted by sukraj (22566 posts) -

I dunno lol

#16 Posted by lazerface216 (7495 posts) -

most Jesus I know are Mexicanlamprey263

i work with jesus...

#17 Posted by wis3boi (31279 posts) -

slly topic is silly

#18 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150676 posts) -

If Jesus ever existed, it is highly unlikely that he was white. At the time, there wasn't a whole melting pot of ethnicities like there is today so I believe he was more likely one of these other ethnicities from 1 being most likely to 4 being less likely of the listed:

1. Middle Eastern

2. Asian

3. Black

4. White

What is your take on it?

Fairmonkey
Middle Eastern isn't a race....
#19 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150676 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]asiantoast_burner

I believe they are consider Caucasian and not Asian.
#20 Posted by toast_burner (21498 posts) -

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]asianLJS9502_basic

The middle east is in Asia.

#21 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

If he existed he was Middle Eastern because obviously that's where he lived.

#22 Posted by mindstorm (15242 posts) -
Jesus would have been stopped by airport security.
#23 Posted by m0zart (11562 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]This is correct, but to be more specific he was middle eastern.

toast_burner

Well some of it is in North Africa.

In any case, Semitic racial lines are classified as Caucasoid, at least as far as physical anthropology goes. That's the point he was making, I think. This is more to do with body shape and bone structure than it does skin color though.

Caucasoid and Caucasion, as terms, also have their identity in land-of-origin, just like "Asian" often does, but that's no more relevant than "Semite" and "Hamite" having their origins in language groups, when today they actually refer to racial distinctions within the larger racial categories.

Most of what we think of as "Asian" today in racial terms falls under the Mongoloid physical anthropological racial category.

I realize one has to be careful about how he uses terms like Caucasoid, Mongoloid, and Negroid these days because of how they have been used by bigots as racial slurs, but in physical anthropology, they are just the three major racial categories referring to the measure of body shape and bone structure. This is quite useful in overall anthropology as well as modern forensics.

#24 Posted by funsohng (27648 posts) -
asianLonelynight
this
#25 Posted by Chicken453 (2038 posts) -
Asian!
#26 Posted by Wolf-Man2006 (4187 posts) -

Middle-Eastern. There were little to no caucasians where Jesus lived

#27 Posted by Flubbbs (3050 posts) -

no jesus was a jew and jews arent causcausin

#28 Posted by BossPerson (9456 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]This is correct, but to be more specific he was middle eastern.

toast_burner

not this stupid argument again
#29 Posted by BossPerson (9456 posts) -
#30 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36791 posts) -

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I believe they are consider Caucasian and not Asian.m0zart

Well some of it is in North Africa.

In any case, Semitic racial lines are classified as Caucasoid, at least as far as physical anthropology goes. That's the point he was making, I think. This is more to do with body shape and bone structure than it does skin color though.

Caucasoid and Caucasion, as terms, also have their identity in land-of-origin, just like "Asian" often does, but that's no more relevant than "Semite" and "Hamite" having their origins in language groups, when today they actually refer to racial distinctions within the larger racial categories.

Most of what we think of as "Asian" today in racial terms falls under the Mongoloid physical anthropological racial category.

I realize one has to be careful about how he uses terms like Caucasoid, Mongoloid, and Negroid these days because of how they have been used by bigots as racial slurs, but in physical anthropology, they are just the three major racial categories referring to the measure of body shape and bone structure. This is quite useful in overall anthropology as well as modern forensics.

That was a delightful read

#31 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27519 posts) -

toast_burner

At the time the middle east was largely Greek/Phoenician. Even today, most Persians (now Iran) consider themselves not Arabic, but of Aryan descent. So we can't 100% say what colour Jesus's skin was, but at the end of the day it shouldn't matter. If you believe in him he should be a symbol rather than a defined image of a man.
#32 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

I think it's more about what he represents more than what he looked like with Christians. They don't care if he was black, white, purple or rainbow colored really.

#33 Posted by m0zart (11562 posts) -

I think it's more about what he represents more than what he looked like with Christians. They don't care if he was black, white, purple or rainbow colored really.sune_Gem

Well... if he was rainbow colored, some would care.

I could easily see the Westboro dudes with their "God Hates British Cigarettes" signs protesting the color scheme outside of Noah's Ark.

#34 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150676 posts) -

toast_burner

Yes. But we're talking race not location.
#35 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]I think it's more about what he represents more than what he looked like with Christians. They don't care if he was black, white, purple or rainbow colored really.m0zart

Well... if he was rainbow colored, some would care.

I could easily see the Westboro dudes with their "God Hates British Cigarettes" signs protesting the color scheme outside of Noah's Ark.

If he was Rainbow Colored, he'd be even more awesome than he already is!

#36 Posted by Dogswithguns (10737 posts) -
Jesus doesn't exist, never was.. he's not even real.
#37 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3817 posts) -

some christians don't even think he was a man to begin with :roll:

GrayF0X786

Whatever he was, at least he didn't murder his way across the middle east....

#38 Posted by Legatus_Victix (138 posts) -
Jesus can be what ever you imagine him to be. End of story.Killzonage
Black Jesus doesnt approve.
#39 Posted by Vuurk (6258 posts) -
Raptor.
#40 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Obviously he was Afro-Asian.
#41 Posted by SUD123456 (4440 posts) -

I thought the whole point of the myth of Jesus is that he wasn't a man...which would seem to make discussion of race and features rather irrelevant, no?

#42 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

He was brown.

#43 Posted by scoots9 (3194 posts) -

Jesus was a 6'2" blonde haired, blue eyed American. Obviously.

#44 Posted by m0zart (11562 posts) -

I thought the whole point of the myth of Jesus is that he wasn't a man...which would seem to make discussion of race and features rather irrelevant, no?

SUD123456

Not really no. Only a very small subset of Christians believe he wasn't a man at all. Most Christians believe he was both fully a man and fully divine. Orthodox Christianity holds that dual nature as one of its critical doctrines.

#45 Posted by tocool340 (20495 posts) -
I don't think his skin color matters a whole lot. But considering where he was, I'd say he probably had a bronze skin tone...
#46 Posted by hippiesanta (9836 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]asianSirWander

Jesus love K-pop
#47 Posted by hippiesanta (9836 posts) -

slly topic is silly

wis3boi
you will end up as a communist I presume
#48 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
Jesus would have been stopped by airport security.mindstorm
You're on a row. You better do ten Hail Marys
#49 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

He was brown.

jimkabrhel
Mexican?
#50 Posted by SUD123456 (4440 posts) -

[QUOTE="SUD123456"]

m0zart

Not really no. Only a very small subset of Christians believe he wasn't a man at all. Most Christians believe he was both fully a man and fully divine. Orthodox Christianity holds that dual nature as one of its critical doctrines.

I understand that, but it is also why the church has a wide variety of visual representations based upon local geography and culture. He wasn't just a man is a better representation of what I meant. I could have worded my OP better:cry: