Do you believe that a person can commit a crime against one's own self?

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#101 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

The question is simple-

Can a person commit a crime against themselves? I'm specifically targeting laws against using certain substances, like marijuana, for example. A crime needs to have a victim. I don't personally use pot or any other illegal substances, but I defend the right of others to do so. When you really look at it, a law against a person using a certain substance is saying that they are committing a crime against their self. How is that possible? How can you have free will and have laws saying that it's a crime to use drugs? Now, if someone gets drunk or high and commits a crime against someone else while under the influence, they are obviously responsible for their actions. The using of the drugs themselves can't be a crime in my view. It just can't be if we're in a free society.

What do you think?

hartsickdiscipl
I personally don't care if people want to take drugs.. however I do have an issue with it being legalised. I don't want to come out of a restaurant to see someone slumped down against the wall shooting up. I don't want to leave work, or school etc to find people passed out or having no control over themselves because they are on a substance. Personally if people want to do drugs and kill themselves then let them.. but not out in public. They can do it at home and places children won't see them. The issue isn't how it damages health. Everyone knows drugs are bad. The issue is people on drugs don't always have self control. Somethings they don't know what they are doing. They can act violent etc.. and to have that acceptable in society is obviously wrong.
Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

yeh of course, obesity for one

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#103 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

The question is simple-

Can a person commit a crime against themselves? I'm specifically targeting laws against using certain substances, like marijuana, for example. A crime needs to have a victim. I don't personally use pot or any other illegal substances, but I defend the right of others to do so. When you really look at it, a law against a person using a certain substance is saying that they are committing a crime against their self. How is that possible? How can you have free will and have laws saying that it's a crime to use drugs? Now, if someone gets drunk or high and commits a crime against someone else while under the influence, they are obviously responsible for their actions. The using of the drugs themselves can't be a crime in my view. It just can't be if we're in a free society.

What do you think?

Rattlesnake_8

I personally don't care if people want to take drugs.. however I do have an issue with it being legalised. I don't want to come out of a restaurant to see someone slumped down against the wall shooting up. I don't want to leave work, or school etc to find people passed out or having no control over themselves because they are on a substance. Personally if people want to do drugs and kill themselves then let them.. but not out in public. They can do it at home and places children won't see them. The issue isn't how it damages health. Everyone knows drugs are bad. The issue is people on drugs don't always have self control. Somethings they don't know what they are doing. They can act violent etc.. and to have that acceptable in society is obviously wrong.

I see drunk people stumbling around downtown every time I go out. What's the difference?