Do you believe that a person can commit a crime against one's own self?

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

The question is simple-

Can a person commit a crime against themselves? I'm specifically targeting laws against using certain substances, like marijuana, for example. A crime needs to have a victim. I don't personally use pot or any other illegal substances, but I defend the right of others to do so. When you really look at it, a law against a person using a certain substance is saying that they are committing a crime against their self. How is that possible? How can you have free will and have laws saying that it's a crime to use drugs? Now, if someone gets drunk or high and commits a crime against someone else while under the influence, they are obviously responsible for their actions. The using of the drugs themselves can't be a crime in my view. It just can't be if we're in a free society.

What do you think?

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
Suicide is illegal and it's usually done to oneself.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

I think it's a little more complicated than that. By using drugs you're supporting cartels (which I guess are only there because drugs are illegal in the first place) so it isn't exactly victimless.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hartsickdiscipl

I think it's a little more complicated than that. By using drugs you're supporting cartels (which I guess are only there because drugs are illegal in the first place) so it isn't exactly victimless.

jim_shorts

If we go down that path, I could make the argument that cartels are only dangerous and violent because their trade is illegal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

A crime is only something that's defined as such so, yeah I guess.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"]

hartsickdiscipl

If we go down that path, I could make the argument that cartels are only dangerous and violent because their trade is illegal.

I more or less said that, but as it stands one still contributes to them with recreational drug use.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hartsickdiscipl

Aljosa23

How do you define a crime? Using your own common sense.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
The very idea is silly.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

hartsickdiscipl

You don't, the government says what is or isn't a crime. Just because you think doing something is fine even if it's still a crime doesn't change anything.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hartsickdiscipl

No. Crimes are committed against the state, not an individual.thegerg

How can I commit a crime against the state by using my own free will and smoking a joint by myself? What harm have I done?

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Only suicide could apply.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Aljosa23

You don't, the government says what is or isn't a crime. Just because you think doing something is fine even if it's still a crime doesn't change anything.

The issue is the definition of what can be considered a crime. My sense tells me that it's impossible to commit a victimless crime. A person with free will has the right to do whatever they want to themselves. That's common sense in my book. I don't feel that the state can be considered a victim if a person chooses to use a certain substance.

UglyDude_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 UglyDude_07
Member since 2005 • 2574 Posts
Only suicide could apply.Zeviander
They gone lock me up if I commit suicide?
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#16 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

The issue is the definition of what can be considered a crime. My sense tells me that it's impossible to commit a victimless crime. A person with free will has the right to do whatever they want to themselves. That's common sense in my book. I don't feel that the state can be considered a victim if a person chooses to use a certain substance.hartsickdiscipl

It took a long time for me to hear something sensible coming out of you. Good job!

Now please don't screw it up by introducing... you know... to the subject.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
I like tickling myself with feathers, it gets soo loud that the nearby pigs yell at me to stop. but I say NO
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
No, a crime can only be committed against the state.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts

The question is simple-

Can a person commit a crime against themselves? I'm specifically targeting laws against using certain substances, like marijuana, for example. A crime needs to have a victim. I don't personally use pot or any other illegal substances, but I defend the right of others to do so. When you really look at it, a law against a person using a certain substance is saying that they are committing a crime against their self. How is that possible? How can you have free will and have laws saying that it's a crime to use drugs? Now, if someone gets drunk or high and commits a crime against someone else while under the influence, they are obviously responsible for their actions. The using of the drugs themselves can't be a crime in my view. It just can't be if we're in a free society.

What do you think?

hartsickdiscipl
is this real life? ........I actually agree with you.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 m0zart

"My sense tells me that it's impossible to commit a victimless crime." Then you should probably research criminal law. It is VERY possible to commit such a crime. "A person with free will has the right to do whatever they want to themselves." Even if such an act harms or endangers others?thegerg

Yes, law is arbitrary and hollow enough that anything can be defined a crime. Whether it should be is another question altogether. I am relatively convinced that it should never be, and that such opposing magnetic poles should exist between the words "victimless" and "crime" that the two can never meet.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 m0zart

I agree, to an extent. What needs to be defined, though, is "victim." There are numerous acts which do not actually harm another that most reasonable people would consider to be reasonably criminal. thegerg

I might then be, in your view, an unreasonable person. And I'm probably ok with that.

I'll stop assuming though and let you offer an example.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
They gone lock me up if I commit suicide?UglyDude_07
If you fail they will. Or anyone who helps you. It's one of those "nonsense" crimes that makes no logical sense. If somebody wants to throw their life away, or end suffering, they should be entitled to do so. Personally, I'm going to hang on till the bitter end, but I do not judge others for their choices. Responsibility to the responsible.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 harashawn
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="m0zart"]

"My sense tells me that it's impossible to commit a victimless crime." Then you should probably research criminal law. It is VERY possible to commit such a crime. "A person with free will has the right to do whatever they want to themselves." Even if such an act harms or endangers others?thegerg

Yes, law is arbitrary and hollow enough that anything can be defined a crime. Whether it should be is another question altogether. I am relatively convinced that it should never be, and that such opposing magnetic poles should exist between the words "victimless" and "crime" that the two can never meet.

I agree, to an extent. What needs to be defined, though, is "victim." There are numerous acts which do not actually harm another that most reasonable people would consider to be reasonably criminal.

If it is against the criminal code, it is a crime. Whether there is a definite victim is irrelevent.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 m0zart

If it is against the criminal code, it is a crime. Whether there is a definite victim is irrelevent.harashawn

Certainly, the mob office that demands its protection money is very relevant to me. And if I pretend it's not relevant, I am sure they will remind me that they very much are.

But that's a bit different than holding onto a concept that any definition of a crime is ok, and that any law is perfectly alright, even if it creates victims rather than acts to protect them. That is the unfortunate effect of holding onto a legal system defined to act on "victimless crimes".

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 harashawn
[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="thegerg"] I agree, to an extent. What needs to be defined, though, is "victim." There are numerous acts which do not actually harm another that most reasonable people would consider to be reasonably criminal. thegerg
If it is against the criminal code, it is a crime. Whether there is a definite victim is irrelevent.

You're righ, but that has nothing to do with my post.

A reasonable person would consider a crime to be criminal, and a reasonable person would consider a breach of the criminal code to be a crime. I don't see how that has nothing to do with your post.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 m0zart

If I drink a bottle of wine then get in my truck and drive though a school zone at 70mph while firing a pistol out the window but hit no one with my vehicle or weapon one could argue that there were no victims, but a reasonable person would believe my actions should be criminal. thegerg

Certainly that's a gray area. I have to admit though that I am probably ok with not criminalizing such an act if no harm was actually done. Sounds controversial, but over the years I more and more side with the notion that we're all slowly becoming more in danger of the laws that are made to protect us from such risks than from the risks they target.

But yes, I can see that exposing someone to a very real risk can be considered well within that gray area. Similarly, making threats of force or fraud can be considered actionable to some extent, since the threat is expressing some real intent to create a victim.

A reasonable person would consider a crime to be criminal, and a reasonable person would consider a breach of the criminal code to be a crime. I don't see how that has nothing to do with your post.harashawn

If you decided to define "crime" as meaning "anything and everything we chose to make illegal for just about any purpose we chose whatsoever", then sure, a reasonable person would see your defintion and say the term was applied as strictly defined. But that's really only because he knows how to use your definition as stated. It's a pretty low-level of reason really. It's actually little more than applying logic, making it a bit automatic, as automatic as a math equation.

But someone who goes to the next level and says "that which we have made illegal should be in any and all circumstances", that person is no longer being reasonable, just robotic. From my own perspective on what constitutes ethical Government, making a victimless act into a crime only creates new victims, and worse, victims who often have no recourse, having been marked by whoever wields the rubber stamp as an officially sanctioned victim. We tend to blank out the violence we do to others when we internalize it into the legal system, when we make it official. And of course, that kind of evasion of the ethical wrongdoings we commit in such cases is, IMO, pretty damned unreasonable.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts

[QUOTE="thegerg"]If I drink a bottle of wine then get in my truck and drive though a school zone at 70mph while firing a pistol out the window but hit no one with my vehicle or weapon one could argue that there were no victims, but a reasonable person would believe my actions should be criminal. m0zart

Certainly that's a gray area. I have to admit though that I am probably ok with not criminalizing such an act if no harm was actually done. Sounds controversial, but over the years I more and more side with the notion that we're all slowly becoming more in danger of the laws that are made to protect us from such risks than from the risks they target.

But yes, I can see that exposing someone to a very real risk can be considered well within that gray area. Similarly, making threats of force or fraud can be considered actionable to some extent, since the threat is expressing some real intent to create a victim.

A reasonable person would consider a crime to be criminal, and a reasonable person would consider a breach of the criminal code to be a crime. I don't see how that has nothing to do with your post.harashawn

If you decided to define "crime" as meaning "anything and everything we chose to make illegal for just about any purpose we chose whatsoever", then sure, a reasonable person would see your defintion and say the term was applied as strictly defined. But that's really only because he knows how to use your definition as stated. It's a pretty low-level of reason really. It's actually little more than applying logic, making it a bit automatic, as automatic as a math equation.

But someone who goes to the next level and says "that which we have made illegal should be in any and all circumstances", that person is no longer being reasonable, just robotic. From my own perspective on what constitutes ethical Government, making a victimless act into a crime only creates new victims, and worse, victims who often have no recourse, having been marked by whoever wields the rubber stamp as an officially sanctioned victim. We tend to blank out the violence we do to others when we internalize it into the legal system, when we make it official. And of course, that kind of evasion of the ethical wrongdoings we commit in such cases is, IMO, pretty damned unreasonable.

Well said.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="thegerg"]No. Crimes are committed against the state, not an individual.hartsickdiscipl

How can I commit a crime against the state by using my own free will and smoking a joint by myself? What harm have I done?

You can smoke in Washington now, but can't buy a big gulp in New York City. Government can't use logic.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="thegerg"]No. Crimes are committed against the state, not an individual.thegerg

"How can I commit a crime against the state by using my own free will and smoking a joint by myself?" Because possessing that joint is defined as a crime in most places, it's really quite simple. "What harm have I done?" You have put yourself into a situation that could lead to the state taking your money or your freedom, such an outcome could harm your family.

A crime should be something that's causing real, quantifiable harm. Possessing a substance without using it to harm others cannot qualify. This discussion isn't about what the law currently says is a crime. It's about examining what should be considered a crime, and how current laws infringe heavily upon free will.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]You don't, the government says what is or isn't a crime. Just because you think doing something is fine even if it's still a crime doesn't change anything.

thegerg

The issue is the definition of what can be considered a crime. My sense tells me that it's impossible to commit a victimless crime. A person with free will has the right to do whatever they want to themselves. That's common sense in my book. I don't feel that the state can be considered a victim if a person chooses to use a certain substance.

"My sense tells me that it's impossible to commit a victimless crime." Then you should probably research criminal law. It is VERY possible to commit such a crime. "A person with free will has the right to do whatever they want to themselves." Even if such an act harms or endangers others?

Once again, you're missing the whole point of this discussion. Step outside the box for a minute and think for yourself. This isn't about what the f*cked up legal system considers to be a crime now, it's about how it should be. Smoking pot isn't endanging anyone else.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Suicide is illegal and it's usually done to oneself.NiKva
Suicide is not illegal in the same sense as committing a crime..
mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts
No which is why drug laws are so absurd
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="thegerg"] "My sense tells me that it's impossible to commit a victimless crime." Then you should probably research criminal law. It is VERY possible to commit such a crime. "A person with free will has the right to do whatever they want to themselves." Even if such an act harms or endangers others?thegerg

Once again, you're missing the whole point of this discussion. Step outside the box for a minute and think for yourself. This isn't about what the f*cked up legal system considers to be a crime now, it's about how it should be. Smoking pot isn't endanging anyone else.

No, I'm not missing the point of the discussion. I am simply explaining to you where you are wrong.

You used current law in your argument, you clearly missed the point.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Not really. However, I don't think that future me would take kindly to current me killing myself because I had a rough day.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#42 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

of course. why couldn't someone commit a crime against their self?

krazykillaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 krazykillaz
Member since 2002 • 21141 Posts
It's your body and I think you do whatever you want with it. As long as you're not causing problems for anyone else, do whatever. Your rights end where mine begin. EDIT: This all goes to healthy people by the way. There are ethical issues with letting someone who is a child or mentally unfit doing whatever they want to themselves.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fightingfan

of course. why couldn't someone commit a crime against their self?

whipassmt
Money? Join the army and then walk in front of a humvee, instant G.I bill.
mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

I have zero complaints about people using a substance, as long as A: They are of age(Anywhere from 18-21), and B: They aren't using it or on it in public.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Fightingfan

I have zero complaints about people using a substance, as long as A: They are of age(Anywhere from 18-21), and B: They aren't using it or on it in public.

mccoyca112
That's my stance on it too, I think a legal adult should be allowed to do whatever they want drug wise in the privacy of their own home. Just make everything legal and regulate it, Portugal did it and the drug abuse dropped by 50%. Don't tell people not to do something, inform them on the consequences that the drugs do, and if they do choose to do the drugs inform safe ways like, don't share needles, etc... http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/07/05/ten-years-after-decriminalization-drug-abuse-down-by-half-in-portugal/
mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

[QUOTE="NiKva"]Suicide is illegal and it's usually done to oneself.sSubZerOo
Suicide is not illegal in the same sense as committing a crime..

He has the right idea though..

A failed attempt that is caught in the act can put you in temporary cuffs, and have you sent in for mandatory observation. In other words, taking your right away. You have to sneak it, or be damn sure you're going to be successful.

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

Killing someone takes a toll on the mental self. I suppose that could be considered a crime. The moral grey area on that one, however ambiguous, is rather large.